Help an old halo4 player with the elite controller

Unfortunately I only know how to use the Recon button layout and was decent at halo-4

Now I completely suck at halo-5 and was wondering how I move away from the Recon setup and start adding paddles to the elite controller

I just got my elite controller last night and switched to bumper jumper. It feels so…akward after playing every halo game with default since CE lol. I’d love to see some good controller setups on the replies here.

sorry, not much help myself atm.

Bumper jumper > Boost on back paddle.

Bumper jumper is not that far from recon. Make the switch and thank me later.

Or Halo 4 controller scheme > Jump on back paddle.

Recon is a disadvantage because ground pound is close to impossible and there are fewer defensive moves like quick crouch or jump left/right to throw off your opponent

i think its the game…most people were good at H4…H5 has balanced multiplayer and a wider skill gap…

just sayin it could be the game…not the controls.

Yeah I get crushed with pistol vs pistol every time… Br im ok, but pistol, wtf?

> 2533274858329100;3:
> Bumper jumper > Boost on back paddle.
>
> Bumper jumper is not that far from recon. Make the switch and thank me later.
>
> Or Halo 4 controller scheme > Jump on back paddle.
>
> Recon is a disadvantage because ground pound is close to impossible and there are fewer defensive moves like quick crouch or jump left/right to throw off your opponent

Thanks I’ll try that… Yeah i never do ground pound with recon. Ever

I use a fusion, controller similar to the elite, and I use the Halo 4 button layout and only had to remap one button which was crouch which is now my left middle finger button on the bottom of the controller

> 2533274923562209;2:
> I just got my elite controller last night and switched to bumper jumper. It feels so…akward after playing every halo game with default since CE lol. I’d love to see some good controller setups on the replies here.
>
> sorry, not much help myself atm.

I use default layout with left paddle: boost, right top paddle: jump and bottom right paddle: crouch. Look Sense: 3, Look Accel: 2 Inner/Outer 0%, sticks: smooth.
I’d suggest default with 2 added paddles and no other button swaps so that your mind gets used to the new paddles without TOO much change. Way to hard to get used to paddles and new button layout imo. When you feel more comfortable with two paddles you can add more later.

> 2533274827486760;5:
> Yeah I get crushed with pistol vs pistol every time… Br im ok, but pistol, wtf?

what sensitivity are you at?

> 2533274858329100;3:
>
>

Which is better in your opinion?

Also by “boost” do you mean thruster pack?, so I would remap button X to back paddle (for bumper jumper)

I use bumper jumper with two short paddles. X mapped to the left B to the right. I also messed with the joystick curves but can’t remember exactly what I did off the top of my head

honestly everyone will be different. i have 3 other friends with an elite controller and they have the buttons set up for different games. each have their paddles set for different way in the same game and not all use all 4.

i literally jsut have abxy remapped to the triggers and it stays that way flat out. and even they can’t figure out how i can play that way. Same i cant figure out how they play with the paddle set to different buttons in different games.

everyone will be different.

> 2533274858329100;3:
>
>
>
> Recon is a disadvantage because ground pound is close to impossible and there are fewer defensive moves like quick crouch or jump left/right to throw off your opponent

I run recon with a ScufOne controller and do not have any trouble what-so-ever performing ground pounds, same thing with jumping left or right. I can perform jumps just fine. Those aren’t disadvantages to Recon users.
Maybe if i still used my default controller i can see where you’re coming from. But the OP is talking about using an Elite which is very similar to Scuf’s Infinity controller. So with the upgraded controller mixed into the equation those moves are not hard to do.

I’d say that crouching for the sake of dodging fire would be the only disadvantage and a slight one at that. If you use Recon then I assume you have always used Recon in past halo’s so by now in H5 you are pretty used to clicking the stick to crouch, probably almost muscle memory at this point.

I’ve always used standard “recon” controller layout, and tbh I have no issues. I see these Pros saying all this stuff about Bumperjumper, and Claw grips on Elite controllers yada yada, but in the end, do what’s comfortable, and what you’re good at. even if it’s technically a “better” setup, you’ll be terrible if you aren’t used to it, do what you are best at.

On the topic of Ground Pounds, I really don’t know why people say they are so hard with Recon, you aren’t using the left stick once you’re in the air, so reach your left thumb over to the right stick to aim it. I have sorta long fingers so it works, but I can genuinely say I used Recon, and get some nice ground pounds with no issues, it’s actually one of my favourite moves.

Honestly you gotta pretty much choose what buttons you like and cater it to your playstyle. If you find that you use boost or melee a lot, then assign it to one of the paddles. Not only that but also play around with what buttons you feel are comfortable with whichever paddles.

I have the Heightened Domed thumbstick on my left and the normal default thumbstick on my right (I dont like using the higher one on the right stick mainly because I still use the face buttons and its harder to press them when my thumb is raised so far away).

For me, I play Default and use only 3 paddles, mainly for movement. I only use 3 because I realized I kept accidentally hitting the bottom right paddle during frantic firefights.
Top Left - Boost (B) Top Right - Crouch (RT)
Bottom Left - Jump (A)

If you like to crouch a lot (like me) but dont like using toggle crouch, having it on a paddle is so damn convenient and gives your had a nice break instead of pressing the right thumbstick in the whole time. This also lets you reassign the right-thumbstick to melee if you so desire as well.
Also, this lets me Sprint > Slide > Jump > Boost relatively easily which is great for moving fast across maps.

One more tip with the elite controller: Dont be afraid to use the regular face buttons if you feel comfortable using them. It took me a week or two to finally get the hang of the paddles and also refining my button mapping. I played like I normally played and used the paddles sparingly until I got used to them being there. I still use the face buttons from time to time if I dont want to hit the paddles. Dont restrict yourself to using them just because they’re there.

I rock three paddles on mine. two on the right, one on the left. I have reload, boost, and jump assigned. I personally just use the default setup and tune with the elite controller to my specifications. On a side note GIVE THE CONTROLLER TIME once you are over the hurdle of thinking about using the paddles you will never be able to play with a regular controller again

> 2533274858329100;3:
>
>
>

Ground pound is not that bad when you get use to it, like all controller schemes, it has it weaknesses and postives

I play helljumper with the far left is sprint. Inner left boost. Inner right switch wep. Far right pickup wep

I play on Recon, as it matches my old Halo 3 setup and still use it after getting an Elite. It’s whatever you are comfortable with, but I’ve never had problems with ground pounds. At first I mapped my paddles to change grenades on left and jump, Melee on right but hate holding it that way so removed paddles for now.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve been experimenting with different setups, much to the detriment of my teammates :), like instead of meleeing during a fight for the kill, my Spartan reloads mid-fight

I still haven’t figured out what I like, but there have been some positives

Using a modified version of helljumper

Smartlink and fire, I really like these on RT and LT respectively

I also like thruster on a left paddle

Don’t know how important it is, but I would like to experiment with some setups where I can jump and smartlink easily, so I suppose I will use a right paddle for jump or something