Heavy Thumb

Anyone else have this problem? Am I the only one that suffers from perpetual, inappropriate zooming?

I just feel the need to express my ongoing frustration with my seemingly inability to get much better. Yes, I am a noob, and yes it does pain me a little to say it. I keep telling myself that it’s because I am working on Weapons Mastery, and in most games all I am focused on, especially right now since I am so close to the end, is getting to those power weapons or getting that Splaser kill; and it is often times to the detriment of my kd/score.

For instance, right now I am working on Splaser, I have 17 to go, and Suppressor; so I have been rotating between Dominion and Regicide. Well I have really noticed my erratic reticule movement using these weapons. Especially with the Laser, I will sometimes have the enemy in my sights only to veer off considerably at the last moment and miss the kill.

I also have been using the LR exclusively. Long enough to max it out and have it show as my favorite weapon. I was telling myself that the reason I didn’t get a lot of kills with it was because that was just the nature of the weapon coupled with its difficulty to use. Well I know for sure that is not the case, since I have looked at a certain community member’s stats who I know uses the LR exclusively as well and his stats with it are well above average.

My main question is, are there any other players out there who have issues with clenching too? If so, how have you dealt with it? Does anyone have any tips for me?

You gotta find a way to relax when playing, your clenching is most likely a result of anxiety. You are getting caught up in the mental part of the game and it is manifesting itself as tension in your hands.

Long story short, get zen man.

> You gotta find a way to relax when playing, your clenching is most likely a result of anxiety. You are getting caught up in the mental part of the game and it is manifesting itself as tension in your hands.
>
> Long story short, get zen man.

Sounds about right. A friend of mine gives me a hard time. She says I take it all too seriously, and need to just chill. She usually is relaxed and almost always does better than me.

First I would like to say, there is an option called “clench protection”. Have you tried it?

Second, if it is truly anxiety that is to blame, i too suffer from anxiety, though for me it doesn’t manifest itsself in clenching, but rather recklessness and my aim failing miserably.
I recently learned how not to stress out in Halo. It’s quite simple: by dying less, you have less frustrating moments. You die less by trying to stay alive (no -Yoink-, sherlock!). Staying alive is a vital skill and in my case it is double important as it gives me more satisfaction than getting kills.

Players that stay alive are VERY annoying to the other team and actually turns the “stress tables”, if those exist, in their favor. Staying alive, even with instant respawn, allows you to get back into combat way faster than if you had died. Even if you would have had a kill if you traded, most of the time it is still wise to not challenge as you have teammates to clean up your kill. If they don’t, chill out, there’s nothing you can do about having bad teammates. You made the right play.

Staying alive is obviously even more important in slayer, as you give the enemy a point on your death.

Tips for staying alive: situational awareness is the mother of all skills, which allows you not to get caught off guard and puts you in less hazardous situations in general. This, however, is not easily learned (my situational awareness sucks). A better and more obvious tip is to, whenever you get caught off guard and they have the first two shots, you put a wall in between you and your attacker. This buys you time to think of an escape plan or if it would be wise for you to weaken the guy for your teammates if they are nearby. Another obvious tip: do not challenge everything. If you are shooting someone and your shields are down and theirs aren’t, don’t try to get in those 2 - 3 shots before he dies before he can headshot you, chances of that working are very low. When in a medium-long range 1v1, always have a wall nearby to take cover behind. Another good tip is to pick your battles. When you see someone, it is sometimes wise to just not attack him, as you do not want him to attack you in return, for example if you’re trying to be sneaky or if you don’t want to be caught having no shields if you think the enemy is nearby (again, situational awareness).

What i’m saying is that the better you are at the game, starting with staying alive, the more relaxed you can play and that way, the clenching may sort out itsself.

Clench protection, yo. In the controller settings.

Thanks Daitor. Yes I have tried clench protection but it didn’t work out so well. In the sense of not being able to zoom when I actually mean to.

I appreciate your tips on just staying alive in general. I have been working on that as well. When I have been successful at that it does seem to help.

My main reason in posting is hoping to hear I am not alone in suffering from unwanted zoom. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It might be a little late in the game to consider switching control schemes but I use fish sticks. Where the left trigger is aim down sight like pretty much every other first person shooter. It’s just that much less for your aiming thumb to do. But if you clench you melee so that might even be worse for you. So I dunno. Just a suggestion.

> Anyone else have this problem? Am I the only one that suffers from perpetual, inappropriate zooming?
>
> My main question is, are there any other players out there who have issues with clenching too? If so, how have you dealt with it? Does anyone have any tips for me?

I suffered from this too, but only when I first started playing Halo 4. To this day I still don’t know why I had this problem because I never did this in Halo 3 or Reach.

As far as tips go I’m sorry I can’t really help. I simply grew out of this annoying habit.

>

The things Daitor says about staying alive are true. I’ll also throw in that this can happen to me too sometimes, as a result of stressing too much. A good 4-shot feels fluid and smooth, so if it feels you’re forcing every shot, even with a utility weapon like the DMR or LR, you need to relax.

That’ll help you stay alive, too. Close quarter combat against multiple enemies is a dance; knowing where to go so you can stay outside their vision just a couple seconds longer, regain shields, and surprise them when they thought they had you for sure.

Atleast, that’s my take on it.

Op: you are not the only one. So there are at least 2 of us. Thanks for posting the question. I appreciate the comments. The clentch setting also did not work for me and changeing to another control scheme does not fix the cause, only the effect. I will work on my “Zen”. :slight_smile:

> Op: you are not the only one. So there are at least 2 of us. Thanks for posting the question. I appreciate the comments. The clentch setting also did not work for me and changeing to another control scheme does not fix the cause, only the effect. I will work on my “Zen”. :slight_smile:

Where there is two there’s definitely more. I am glad you appreciated the post. I tried calming down, better awareness, and staying alive. Simple things but sometimes difficult for me to do. It seemed to help.

Thanks again to everyone who posted. I have had thoughts of “staying Zen man” and having fun.