Headshot damage is on nearly every weapon now.

With the conclusion of the Infinite tech demo no doubt you’ll see videos and posts talking about the various changes from H5 and possible future modifications as we get close towards an actual beta & the release of the game. One mechanic that has carried over from the previous game that has gotten less attention other than smart link is the ability for non-precision weapons to get bonus damage by shooting the at the head.

Contrary to popular belief, automatic weapons capable of headshot damage is not a recent trend in Halo games. Weapons like the CE magnum & Needle Rifle were precision weapons that technically had cyclonic RoF that continued if the trigger was held (but their accuracy suffered for it). Also in CE the plasma rifle could also do bonus damage if the bolts hit the head, while the AR possibly does as well since it can trigger the Grunt Birthday Party effect with the skull on but the damage isn’t very big and this multiplier is absent in PvP. Halo 5 would also feature bonus damage for weapons like the AR, SMG, SAW, Railgun, Binary Rifle, Boltshot with multipliers ranging from a 1.1x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x, 4x the damage or just a plain instant kill in the case of the Railgun & Binary Rifle. There was worry at times that giving these weapons bonus damage could result in either overpowering them or making too much inconsistency with TTK & accuracy. But such additions turned out to be better for gameplay & the precision weapons still were the preferred choice for mid to long range combat.

Not only does this change carry over from H5, but it’s been expanded to include even more weapons like the plasma pistol & the new pulse carbine who’s only special damage multipliers have been wether they’d be plasma “slow” damage (more power against shields, less against health) or “fast” damage (singular damage value like human weapons). Weapons like the Sniper, Skewer & Rocket launcher already have 1sk potential with the proper aim and it’s only really important for the sniper to get a headshot. The new Heatwave weapon acts more like a evolved scattershot with two firing modes acting with different properties. The Needler needs only usually 7-8 shards for a supercombine explosion that instantly kills the player. The Gravity Hammer speaks for itself.

So I’ll just go ahead and list the rest of each other weapon with the lowest & highest amount of shots to kill as well.

• MA40 Assault Rifle : Breaks shields in 12 shots, kills in 2 headshots or 5 bodyshots, total shots needed to kill is 14-17 - Pulse Carbine : Breaks shields in 6 bolts, kills in 4 headshots or 7 bodyshots, total bolts needed to kill is 10-13 or roughly 2 to 3 bursts - MK50 Sidekick : Breaks shields in 6 shots, kills in 1 headshot or 3 bodyshots, total shots needed to kill is 7 to 9 - VK78 Commando : Breaks shields in 6 shots, kills in 1 headshot or 4 bodyshots, total shots needed to kill is 7 to 10 - BR75 Battle Rifle : Breaks shields in 11 bullets, kills in 1 headshot or 6 bodyshots, total shots needed to kill is 12 to 16 or 4 to roughly 6 bursts - Plasma Pistol : Breaks shields in 7 shots or one EMP shot, kills in 3 headshots/1 EMP shot to the head or 10 bodyshots/ 2 EMP bodyshots, total bolts needed to kill is 10-17 or 2-3 charged shots - Ravager : Primary Fire can kill in one burst if the last shot hits the head or it will kill on the first shot of the second burst. Secondary fire results in a charged shot sets the target & surrounding areas on fire. - CQS48 Bulldog: Breaks shields in one shot & kills on the next one. Does appear to do headshot damage but only extends the range at which a 2 shot kill can happen.As you you can see, headshots really matter! This tells me 343 is emphasizing that good aim and fire control is key to getting faster TTKs at close to longer ranges regardless of what weapon your using. Hopefully the aiming system works and any sort of aim assist mechanics don’t make it either too easy or hard to kill.

Now obviously these numbers and damage values aren’t set in stone and will be subject to changes in future patches & versions of Halo Infinite. I am glad to see that this mechanic has continued and evolved in a positive direction. Aim for the head!

The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.

> 2533274975565198;2:
> The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.

Well once reticule bloom was introduced for it and other automatics, it should’ve been there from day one. What’s the point of burst firing or aiming for the head if there’s no reward for it? The sandboxes of recent halo games had stressed that each weapon can still be unique while being able to kill on their own. Not to sound like a cliche, but once other shooters with similar aiming & shooting mechanics have weapons that deal bonus headshot damage regardless if their single or automatic, it would look really outdated for halo to keep around weapons that were garbage or redundant.

> 2535439459177473;3:
> > 2533274975565198;2:
> > The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.
>
> Well once reticule bloom was introduced for it and other automatics, it should’ve been there from day one. What’s the point of burst firing or aiming for the head if there’s no reward for it? The sandboxes of recent halo games had stressed that each weapon can still be unique while being able to kill on their own. Not to sound like a cliche, but once other shooters with similar aiming & shooting mechanics have weapons that deal bonus headshot damage regardless if their single or automatic, it would look really outdated for halo to keep around weapons that were garbage or redundant.

Who cares if it looks outdated I don’t understand the obsession with modernising to make it the same as other games. It’s a different game. It punishes you for using non precision weapons

Never understood the big deal about non precision weapons having headshot multipliers.

> 2535448497705415;5:
> Never understood the big deal about non precision weapons having headshot multipliers.

It’s the fact that automatics tend to have a wide cone of random spread, which introduces a slight tinge of rng that precision weapons don’t have. people complained about bloom on reach’s DMR for a similar reason.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

> 2535443305883996;4:
> > 2535439459177473;3:
> > > 2533274975565198;2:
> > > The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.
> >
> > Well once reticule bloom was introduced for it and other automatics, it should’ve been there from day one. What’s the point of burst firing or aiming for the head if there’s no reward for it? The sandboxes of recent halo games had stressed that each weapon can still be unique while being able to kill on their own. Not to sound like a cliche, but once other shooters with similar aiming & shooting mechanics have weapons that deal bonus headshot damage regardless if their single or automatic, it would look really outdated for halo to keep around weapons that were garbage or redundant.
>
> Who cares if it looks outdated I don’t understand the obsession with modernising to make it the same as other games. It’s a different game. It punishes you for using non precision weapons

Then what is the point in having non precision weapons in the game?? It blows my mind that people are so keen to maintain weapon redundancy, when the game is infinitely more interesting when you increase the viability of weapons that were essentially useless historically. It’s not about ‘modernizing’ anything, it’s just about making a great game.

> 2533274953195665;6:
> > 2535448497705415;5:
> > Never understood the big deal about non precision weapons having headshot multipliers.
>
> It’s the fact that automatics tend to have a wide cone of random spread, which introduces a slight tinge of rng that precision weapons don’t have. people complained about bloom on reach’s DMR for a similar reason.

This is true. That said, it would be easily compensated for by reducing reticle size/bloom.

> 2535470395434446;8:
> > 2535443305883996;4:
> > > 2535439459177473;3:
> > > > 2533274975565198;2:
> > > > The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.
> > >
> > > Well once reticule bloom was introduced for it and other automatics, it should’ve been there from day one. What’s the point of burst firing or aiming for the head if there’s no reward for it? The sandboxes of recent halo games had stressed that each weapon can still be unique while being able to kill on their own. Not to sound like a cliche, but once other shooters with similar aiming & shooting mechanics have weapons that deal bonus headshot damage regardless if their single or automatic, it would look really outdated for halo to keep around weapons that were garbage or redundant.
> >
> > Who cares if it looks outdated I don’t understand the obsession with modernising to make it the same as other games. It’s a different game. It punishes you for using non precision weapons
>
> Then what is the point in having non precision weapons in the game?? It blows my mind that people are so keen to maintain weapon redundancy, when the game is infinitely more interesting when you increase the viability of weapons that were essentially useless historically. It’s not about ‘modernizing’ anything, it’s just about making a great game.

It was there to finish the job when your BR/DMR couldn’t, and it wasn’t entirely redundant in H3 actually. A quick at bust followed by a pummel or even just straight up AR could kill fairly quickly.

They should be nowhere near as power as the precision weapons though.

And Halo already was a great game. How does making autos better than BR make it a better product? It just helps spray and pray noobs feel like they’re good.

Your cranium is subject to physics whether it’s getting juiced by lead, vaporized by plasma, or disintegrated by forerunner voodoo magic. So yeah, I agree, every weapon should do “headshot damage”. It’s just common sense.

I like headshot damage on all weapons.

My accuracy isn’t great and not often that much above 50% accuracy but I still think it’s important to reward players that are able to land those headshots with faster kills.

glad i only play swat so i dont have to deal with that trash. headshot multiplier on auto’s is completely useless, if im aiming for headshots there are a ton of weapons that do it better. the AR has always been a great combo weapon to lead into a melee or a good finisher.

its fine, people adapt, u wont think about it after afew days.

> 2535443305883996;10:
> > 2535470395434446;8:
> > > 2535443305883996;4:
> > > > 2535439459177473;3:
> > > > > 2533274975565198;2:
> > > > > The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.
> > > >
> > > > Well once reticule bloom was introduced for it and other automatics, it should’ve been there from day one. What’s the point of burst firing or aiming for the head if there’s no reward for it? The sandboxes of recent halo games had stressed that each weapon can still be unique while being able to kill on their own. Not to sound like a cliche, but once other shooters with similar aiming & shooting mechanics have weapons that deal bonus headshot damage regardless if their single or automatic, it would look really outdated for halo to keep around weapons that were garbage or redundant.
> > >
> > > Who cares if it looks outdated I don’t understand the obsession with modernising to make it the same as other games. It’s a different game. It punishes you for using non precision weapons
> >
> > Then what is the point in having non precision weapons in the game?? It blows my mind that people are so keen to maintain weapon redundancy, when the game is infinitely more interesting when you increase the viability of weapons that were essentially useless historically. It’s not about ‘modernizing’ anything, it’s just about making a great game.
>
> It was there to finish the job when your BR/DMR couldn’t, and it wasn’t entirely redundant in H3 actually. A quick at bust followed by a pummel or even just straight up AR could kill fairly quickly.
>
> They should be nowhere near as power as the precision weapons though.
>
> And Halo already was a great game. How does making autos better than BR make it a better product? It just helps spray and pray noobs feel like they’re good.

Oh come off it…not entirely redundant in Halo 3?? You’re clutching at straws big time, it’s absolute garbage in 3 and that’s coming from someone who actually liked using it.

Reducing half the sandbox to weapons that just “finish off the job” is fundamentally poor game design, especially when you can easily fix those same weapons by rewarding higher accuracy (as with headshot multipliers).

And if that still isn’t enough, you reduce spread on automatics enough so that you have to be even more precise to benefit from that feature. Look at the commando, that’s all the evidence you need to see that 343 disagree with your point of view and understand the need to implement more viable, skill based automatics.

I’m okay with every gun having a headshot damage multiplier. I’m not saying the AR should one shot an unshielded player if you hit them in the head or anything, but the head is a smaller target so I’m fine with headshots doing slightly more damage. Even considering the spread of automatic weapons, I think as long as headshots aren’t as powerful as precision weapons it’s fine.

> 2533274975565198;2:
> The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.

I see you’ve never used the AR in Halo before…

> 2533274808122910;17:
> > 2533274975565198;2:
> > The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.
>
> I see you’ve never used the AR in Halo before…

Fully automatic weapons are meant to be aimed at center mass instead of the smaller moving targets such as limbs, or the head. The irl usage also applies in the game. Shocking I know. Try using one yourself.

> 2535443305883996;4:
> > 2535439459177473;3:
> > > The AR never needed it either. It’s fundamentally not designed to be used like that, yet here we are.
> >
> > Well once reticule bloom was introduced for it and other automatics, it should’ve been there from day one. What’s the point of burst firing or aiming for the head if there’s no reward for it? The sandboxes of recent halo games had stressed that each weapon can still be unique while being able to kill on their own. Not to sound like a cliche, but once other shooters with similar aiming & shooting mechanics have weapons that deal bonus headshot damage regardless if their single or automatic, it would look really outdated for halo to keep around weapons that were garbage or redundant.
>
> Who cares if it looks outdated I don’t understand the obsession with modernising to make it the same as other games. It’s a different game. It punishes you for using non precision weapons

This is exactly what I hate about Halo, being punished for not using a BR -or equivalent-

it ruins the sandbox, if you burst your AR and get headshots, why wouldn’t it be a multiplier? Making weapons effective within their own right is what 343i is aiming to do. If someone is nailing you mid range (out side of ARs optimal range, bursting to keep them out of scope is a good idea and it might just save your life and get you a kill)

and while in CQC, the AR should shred. And if you decide to go for the head instead of Body while in CQC you should be rewarded for it If successful. It’s not like when the targets shields break you can kill them w 1 bullet to the head like precisions can. It’s a relatively small multiplier but can make the difference when deciding Risk v Reward which is what Halo is about

> 2533274975565198;2:

> 2533274975565198;18:
> > 2533274808122910;17:
> >
> > I see you’ve never used the AR in Halo before…
>
> Fully automatic weapons are meant to be aimed at center mass instead of the smaller moving targets such as limbs, or the head. The irl usage also applies in the game. Shocking I know. Try using one yourself.

Yes and this is a game series that tries to reward people for taking the time to aim at someones head and not going centre-mass like the common guy/dude/person.

Im going to hazard a guess and say Security Right Shoulder Pad was your favourite armor piece in Reach.

But FR im getting mad “this isnt halo” vibes and I hate it because that ideology is stupid. You’ll live, man. Well… probably.