Have you ever wondered what it would be like...?

Has anyone else wondered what it would be like to combine two genres of video games? FPS and RTS together in one game? I don’t believe it would happen anytime soon if ever but to me it seems like a good way to draw some attention. I am putting this here because i believe the halo universe could easily support it as they already have both versions of the game.

But to actually get into it, imagine your typical game of deathmatch in halo wars, but instead of having hero unit, that unit (I.e. spartans, elites, brutes etc.) is under another players FPS controls. You and a friend are now working together making that hero all the more heroic, and adding a new feature to mix things up. obviously it would throw balance out the window with adding more player control on the battle field, but i believe it would a fun addition and a way to draw more players to the game, not to mention a fun story mode that could switch between the two, between missions. the only thing i could think that would be bad is trying to find something for the FPS player to do before the RTS player spawns the hero.

Another thing that would be nice, is if you could assign squads to said FPS player to help them, kinda like how the marines would show up in story mode on reach and you could see their names when they formed a squad around the player.

what are everyone thoughts? would you like to play a game like this or think it would just be stupid overall?

Kingdom Under Fire was similar to your suggestion. It was a mix of Third Person Action and RTS.

It was wonderful.

> 2533274821521504;2:
> Kingdom Under Fire was similar to your suggestion. It was a mix of Third Person Action and RTS.
>
> It was wonderful.

thanks ill check it out, is it only PC? i looked on the PS store and they didn’t have it for digital download so ill have to hope my local gamestop still has it XD.

> 2533274821521504;2:
> Kingdom Under Fire was similar to your suggestion. It was a mix of Third Person Action and RTS.
>
> It was wonderful.

Yes.
I loved that game.
There was a dynasty warriors similar to it also.

I also thought about that the other day. I hope one day future games would include different aspects like FPS and RTS. The Mount and Blade series has this as well and is a very fun game to play, but it is a little dated (even the delayed upcoming Bannerlord game seems in the past already).

I would love to be able to play your own take on the Halo universe. Command your armies and play as they when the time comes. That, would be a heck of a halo game.

I know that was the objective of Command and Conquer Tiberium. Sadly that was cancelled…and I learned what true pain was…

> 2533274927740213;6:
> I know that was the objective of Command and Conquer Tiberium. Sadly that was cancelled…and I learned what true pain was…

C&C was one of my favorite series to play when i was growing up, where did they all go? XD

> 2533274851148297;1:
> Has anyone else wondered what it would be like to combine two genres of video games? FPS and RTS together in one game? I don’t believe it would happen anytime soon if ever but to me it seems like a good way to draw some attention. I am putting this here because i believe the halo universe could easily support it as they already have both versions of the game.
>
> But to actually get into it, imagine your typical game of deathmatch in halo wars, but instead of having hero unit, that unit (I.e. spartans, elites, brutes etc.) is under another players FPS controls. You and a friend are now working together making that hero all the more heroic, and adding a new feature to mix things up. obviously it would throw balance out the window with adding more player control on the battle field, but i believe it would a fun addition and a way to draw more players to the game, not to mention a fun story mode that could switch between the two, between missions. the only thing i could think that would be bad is trying to find something for the FPS player to do before the RTS player spawns the hero.
>
> Another thing that would be nice, is if you could assign squads to said FPS player to help them, kinda like how the marines would show up in story mode on reach and you could see their names when they formed a squad around the player.
>
> what are everyone thoughts? would you like to play a game like this or think it would just be stupid overall?

There is already a game like this on XB1 Called
AMA (AirMech Arena)

Is was poppler for a time but quickly died out because of how complicated it was compared to your usual RTS, In The End Only the best players stayed behind
(which did not help welcome new player)
and the dev ended up leaving the console version of this game to die off, but still updates the pc version somewhat.

If you like to get an idea of what your fantasies game would look like then give it a try
Its free to download.

> 2533274851148297;7:
> > 2533274927740213;6:
> > I know that was the objective of Command and Conquer Tiberium. Sadly that was cancelled…and I learned what true pain was…
>
> C&C was one of my favorite series to play when i was growing up, where did they all go? XD

C&C 4 ruined everything lol

I kind of think MOBA’s are pretty similar to strategy games. The mechanics are much simpler, but I think the concept is in line. Any of those that are FPS games as well would basically fit

There is only one game that comes to mind, from my childhood, that accomplished this task. Has anyone here ever played Lego Rock Raiders released in 1999? Kinda hilarious to mention that but it technically was an RTS and you could also select a worker and take 1st person control of him, using him to mine, drive machinery, or fire weapons at Rock Monsters. I thought of this formula back when the first Halo Wars was announced and hoped they’d do that with the game. But I think the major flaw here is that RTS’s have to have a huge open map rendered for the armies, and while taking first person control of them would be awesome, it wouldn’t be practical. The scale of the map would be too large, and the maps are all open with no cover or terrain to lend itself to first person run and duck combat. Also, the graphics of HW2 look great when you’re zoomed out, but scroll in as close as you can with your camera and you can see the textures get worse. This is due to scaling for this type of eye in the sky game. A first person view of the battlefield would be a huge dip in resolution and image quality that is unacceptable when compared with all the modern 4K shooters nowadays. Also I don’t know how the AI would be able to switch back and forth between FPS and RTS. If you took control of Jerome, it would be hilariously easy to kills grunt squads and elite rangers who just stand there and never take cover or dive out of the way.

> 2533274851148297;3:
> > 2533274821521504;2:
> > Kingdom Under Fire was similar to your suggestion. It was a mix of Third Person Action and RTS.
> >
> > It was wonderful.
>
> thanks ill check it out, is it only PC? i looked on the PS store and they didn’t have it for digital download so ill have to hope my local gamestop still has it XD.

It was available for the original Xbox. The game was by a Korean studio and last I heard years ago they were working on a new sequel for the 360 but never came to be.

I have thought about this for a long time. You could even make it similar to controlling covenant leaders in Halo Wars except it would be in first Person and you could shoot stuff down and drive vehicles. It would be awesome to be able combine both of your skills of RTS and FPS into 1 in the Halo world.

Has anyone here ever played Battalion Wars 1 & 2 for Gamecube & Wii respectively. It is exactly what you are describing. I played the heck out of these games when I was a kid. Controls are a little wonky but still fun.

> 2533274851148297;1:
> Has anyone else wondered what it would be like to combine two genres of video games? FPS and RTS together in one game? I don’t believe it would happen anytime soon if ever but to me it seems like a good way to draw some attention. I am putting this here because i believe the halo universe could easily support it as they already have both versions of the game.
>
> But to actually get into it, imagine your typical game of deathmatch in halo wars, but instead of having hero unit, that unit (I.e. spartans, elites, brutes etc.) is under another players FPS controls. You and a friend are now working together making that hero all the more heroic, and adding a new feature to mix things up. obviously it would throw balance out the window with adding more player control on the battle field, but i believe it would a fun addition and a way to draw more players to the game, not to mention a fun story mode that could switch between the two, between missions. the only thing i could think that would be bad is trying to find something for the FPS player to do before the RTS player spawns the hero.
>
> Another thing that would be nice, is if you could assign squads to said FPS player to help them, kinda like how the marines would show up in story mode on reach and you could see their names when they formed a squad around the player.
>
> what are everyone thoughts? would you like to play a game like this or think it would just be stupid overall?

Woah woah woah, did you just suggest that every leader would have 2 people controlling it, technically, because one is controlling the Hero (And something else, like leader powers), and the other being up in the sky, building troops and supporting the hero player as best as he can, while the Hero player doing the same?!
This is actually a fantastically creative idea, because think about it, you’re designing two different games, you finally get the view of FPS, and RTS but from two perspectives, and there could be endless possibilities and strategies for “If you’re playing the monitor” or “If you’re playing the hero”!
You know, I think it would be a great concept for thought, because it could encourage team play more than anything, along with having an avatar for your hero, and potentially for your base, for playing both roles.

Things that would be fun would definitely be having the ability to command the army in a way that synergizes with your teammate, encouraging that whole “Hang in there, I’m sending backup” Leader element, and even the fact that it would be designed beautifully from the ground view, and top-down view, to cater for a more beautiful looking game all around.

Things that might be difficult however, are people not having the ability to work their own strategies, and conficting the idea of having a hero unit, and army, and leader powers not under one person’s control.

Overall, great idea, very difficult, but something I, and I’m sure not a lot of other people, have heard in a while!

> 2533275013567761;15:
> > 2533274851148297;1:
> > Has anyone else wondered what it would be like to combine two genres of video games? FPS and RTS together in one game? I don’t believe it would happen anytime soon if ever but to me it seems like a good way to draw some attention. I am putting this here because i believe the halo universe could easily support it as they already have both versions of the game.
> >
> > But to actually get into it, imagine your typical game of deathmatch in halo wars, but instead of having hero unit, that unit (I.e. spartans, elites, brutes etc.) is under another players FPS controls. You and a friend are now working together making that hero all the more heroic, and adding a new feature to mix things up. obviously it would throw balance out the window with adding more player control on the battle field, but i believe it would a fun addition and a way to draw more players to the game, not to mention a fun story mode that could switch between the two, between missions. the only thing i could think that would be bad is trying to find something for the FPS player to do before the RTS player spawns the hero.
> >
> > Another thing that would be nice, is if you could assign squads to said FPS player to help them, kinda like how the marines would show up in story mode on reach and you could see their names when they formed a squad around the player.
> >
> > what are everyone thoughts? would you like to play a game like this or think it would just be stupid overall?
>
> Woah woah woah, did you just suggest that every leader would have 2 people controlling it, technically, because one is controlling the Hero (And something else, like leader powers), and the other being up in the sky, building troops and supporting the hero player as best as he can, while the Hero player doing the same?!
> This is actually a fantastically creative idea, because think about it, you’re designing two different games, you finally get the view of FPS, and RTS but from two perspectives, and there could be endless possibilities and strategies for “If you’re playing the monitor” or “If you’re playing the hero”!
> You know, I think it would be a great concept for thought, because it could encourage team play more than anything, along with having an avatar for your hero, and potentially for your base, for playing both roles.
>
> Things that would be fun would definitely be having the ability to command the army in a way that synergizes with your teammate, encouraging that whole “Hang in there, I’m sending backup” Leader element, and even the fact that it would be designed beautifully from the ground view, and top-down view, to cater for a more beautiful looking game all around.
>
> Things that might be difficult however, are people not having the ability to work their own strategies, and conficting the idea of having a hero unit, and army, and leader powers not under one person’s control.
>
> Overall, great idea, very difficult, but something I, and I’m sure not a lot of other people, have heard in a while!

All and all I was thinking along the lines of Evolve for when the players search for a game they choose if they want to be the commander or the hero on the ground. which ever they choose it locks in their chose for the game and the two can not interchange. i personally would love to see how much team play this could bring to the table as well as different strats because it would be like two different games in one. The map designs would be hard to make i feel but well worth it so that players could sneak around and pick off those troops if the enemy commander is just letting them stand around. I thank everyone for your input and thoughts, sorry i couldn’t reply sooner i reached my post limit on Friday.

This reminds me a lot of the Strike Force Missions that were in Call of Duty: Black Ops II. They combined sort of a strategy RTS view along with the typical FPS in these optional mini-missions. I’d like to see how it plays out; definitely adds more dynamic and thinking to gameplay.

Only problem I would have with this is that it would somewhat overpower a couple of the heroes if someone decides to take control of them. Someone would just use them to decimate everything while hardly giving a glance to every other playable unit out there.

Despite that gripe, I’d love to see this implemented.

GH

I know I have and I think it could maybe done in a halo game.

It would be half neat if say in the next major Halo title you started a mission as an FPS and then had section of the mission where you played it as a top down RTS.

Maybe something where Blue Team, Osiris and SoS were defending some location for a set period of time but you played as Captain Lasky in the Infinity issue commands to the ground teams as they repelled enemies.

I think it would be a cool dynamic.

I always thought about being able to pick a unity and take control in first person til you quit or die

> 2533274851148297;1:
>
>
>

try natural selection 2, its a bit old but if you find a game its pretty awesome, its humans v aliens and both sides have a commander who sees the world as an RTS and can give orders to builder and construct turrets and other things to try help other players pushing against the enemy, they also are trusted to maintain resource management and get upgrades