Have ODSTs been... Replaced?

There was one thing I noticed straight away in Halo 4: the lack of ODSTs. The elite of the elite, the Helljumpers, the Marine Corps’ finest. Surely, only the finest would be allowed to serve on the Infinity, so I had expected to see at least a small team of ODSTs on-board. I was confused to see that there were none to be found. Although, I have a theory.

I fear that the ODSTs may have been replaced by the Spartan IVs. Since the newest generation of Spartans recruits members from all branches of the UNSC, it would be safe to assume that ODSTs would be some of the first selected because of their elite status. Even with the ODSTs’ long-standing rivalry with Spartans, how could any soldier pass up the opportunity to become more than just a regular grunt? To become the UNSC’s finest warriors? Having an army of Spartans would almost make the ODSTs redundant; Spartans can do everything they can, and more. Their replacement seems plausible to me. Heck, even the Recruit helmet and default armor configuration resembles ODST battle armor.

Maybe I’m just over-analyzing or paranoid. I may be entirely wrong, and maybe it’s just that there was no need for ODSTs on the Infinity with a whole contingent of Spartans operating on-board. But it still stands that the absence of the ODSTs is very noticeable in Halo 4.

What do you guys think?

I thought the same thing, and without delving into the extended Universe of the books and such, I can’t find any reference to ODST’s around Halo 4.

So really, no idea. Like you say, it’s completely plausible and quite frankly probable that the Spartan IV’s have replaced them. Give them a droppod and they can do everything the ODST’s are renowned for and more.

Spartan IVs, if I remember correctly, are the product of a streamlined augmentation process that enables fully grown adults to become Spartans. It’s not unreasonable to assume that a lot of ODSTs are, in fact, aboard the UNSC Infinity as your fellow Spartans.

maybe 343 hates them…

As Chojin said. The Spartan IV program is something new for Master Chief to wake up too. Keep in mind that the Infinity is a massive transport/training center for Spartans.

ODST are now Spartan 4s.



If they have gotten rid of ODSTs, I will personally murder whatever their replacement is.

It’s bad enough they didn’t bring my favourite helmet back, but to get rid of it completely?

I agree, the ODSTs were my favorites. There was just something really… Badass about a bunch of guys in black, airtight suits dropping onto a planet from space in a burning pod.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when I found out that the ODST helmet wasn’t returning. Air Assault and Recruit are similar, but it’s just not the same.

I have a feeling we’ll see them in Halo 5.

> ODST are now Spartan 4s.

This. They’ve basically been upgraded.

The Spartan IV program is a program available for UNSC volunteers, and is streamlined to include all of the members of the previously most successful military outfits.

This means that most, if not all, surviving Spartan IIs, IIIs, Orion Candidates, and ODSTs, are Spartan IVs now.

If you look closely the Recruit helmet and ODST helmets are identical, actually, asides from the indented ‘scalp’ and raised bottom lip.

I was thinking the same thing as you, but it doesn’t really seem plausible that they’d completely remove the ODSTs, since they’re still quite useful. Their absence from Halo 4 could be explained by Infinity being filled with Spartan-IVs, basically being their mobile command center, so there wouldn’t be a specific need for them on that ship.

However, just because the Infinity only has Spartan-IVs, that doesn’t mean that every other ship is the same way. Keep in mind that replacing every ODST with a Spartan would be incredibly expensive, and even somewhat redundant.

If i was an ODST i would so upgrade to a spartan IV too!

I thought so at first but remember, the Spartan IV operation is still fairly new and goes hand-in-hand with the Inifinity. My guess is that ODSTs are still present in other places, mostly where Spartan IVs are absent. They’re likely fazing out the ODSTs and replacing them with Spartan IVs.

> The Spartan IV program is a program available for UNSC volunteers, and is streamlined to include all of the members of the previously most successful military outfits.
>
> This means that most, if not all, surviving Spartan IIs, IIIs, Orion Candidates, and ODSTs, are Spartan IVs now.

This.

There’s a LOT of Spartan IV’s aboard the UNSC Infinity (I forget the number), where do you think they all came from?

The only issue here is where are the ODST’s that decided not to join the Spartan IV programme? Did the Infinity take only Spartan IV’s and regular Marines, surely ODST’s are not demoted if deciding not to enter Spartan IV?

Remebering how in service rivalry works I don’t see many ODST’s jumping at the chance to be augmented into spartans.

Most of them would have an arrogant sort of pride in their being able to get the job done without augmentation, sort of like the rivalry you see between different special op forces and lets face it, the spartan’s and the ODST’s have uses in deployment.

ODST’s get dropped in mass to put a battalion of infantry on the ground and engage the enemy forces or secure an entire zone of control.

Spartans are deployed in a more surgical fashion to take out high priority targets.

You use ODST’s to hit the ground and stop the advance of an army and you use Spartan’s to drop behind the line the ODST’s just made and blow their ammo dumps.

> Remebering how in service rivalry works I don’t see many ODST’s jumping at the chance to be augmented into spartans.
>
> Most of them would have an arrogant sort of pride in their being able to get the job done without augmentation, sort of like the rivalry you see between different special op forces and lets face it, the spartan’s and the ODST’s have uses in deployment.
>
> ODST’s get dropped in mass to put a battalion of infantry on the ground and engage the enemy forces or secure an entire zone of control.
>
> Spartans are deployed in a more surgical fashion to take out high priority targets.
>
> <mark>You use ODST’s to hit the ground and stop the advance of an army and you use Spartan’s to drop behind the line the ODST’s just made and blow their ammo dumps.</mark>

…what? ODSTs are not just used for stopping advances. They’re used for many different tactics. They’re so efficient due to the fact that they’re usually not expected. In fact, what you just said completely contradicts the recruits, in FUD, description of what an ODST does. The way you describe ODSTs and Spartans makes Spartans practically redundant.

Yeah, i’ll be disappointed if it turns out that the ODST Squads were phased in with the new Spartan group. They’d loose that aspect I find special about them, the unaugmented human. Part of why I enjoy ODST so much, never gets old watching Four people overpower a brute chief.

> Uh curious how I could point out two completely unattached deployment examples and you come to the cinclusion that Spartans are redundant.
>
> ODST’s are a fast deployment commando group. Pretty much they are the paratroopers of the UNSC, and you use units like that to get boots on the deck in a hurry in places where you need lots of boots on the deck with very little notice. Watch the drop scene from Halo ODST and look around in your pod to do a quick count of the number of ODST drop pods on there way down.
>
> Spartans are special forces teams. You use SpecOps teams to take out targets in a surgical fashion, and usually the team will be made up of 6 men or less. Or you attach a team to a full battalion of regular infantry to give their commander some extra muscle in an engagement. You want to see how spartans are used by the UNSC then look at Reach. Spartans are the Spetznaz and Green Berats of the UNSC.
>
> What I said previously falls right in with that and I don’t think I made anyone sound redundant. So why don’t you go play the game and stop trying to take what I say out of context.