Have 343 Ruined the Forerunner Legacy?

In some ways, I like the way in which 343 are investing time into letting us explore more of the canonical features, ones such as The Forerunners of course, found within the Halo Universe. However, despite the fun and mystery that this creates; does it also damage the mystery presented to players through our 10 years of ‘Original’ (Bungie) Halo games?

In my opinion, it does. There was always something magical about the forerunner mystery presented to us (or in this case the lack of it). Seeing these incredible structures and hearing the odd tale about these ancient God-like creatures and their advanced civilization.

Now, 343 Industries are exploring these creatures in much more detail, so much so that we’ve been able to meet them. Granted, these are Forerunner DESCENDANTS and not actually the Forerunners themselves, but I still can’t help but feel a little disappointed by what this beholds to me as a Halo player and fan.

What I am trying to say basically is that in 343 exploring the ancient civilization, I feel it has ruined the ‘legacy’, if you will. And it also ruins previous Halo games for me. In Halo Combat Evolved, exploring these mysterious Halo rings and coming across ancient Forerunner structures was something that I feel added to the mystery and was never essential to explore fully within core cannon (the Games).

I am all for exploring other parts of the incredible Halo universe, and I am in no way saying I hate what 343 has done, in some ways I do enjoy meeting Forerunners in the games.

What do you guys think? Do you feel the addition of Forerunners into the main game series has taken away from some of the mystery that made them such an awe-inspiring race in the first place; or has it only broadened the experience and back-story for the player to enjoy?

> Now, 343 Industries are exploring these creatures in much more detail, so much so that we’ve been able to meet them. Granted, these are Forerunner DESCENDANTS and not actually the Forerunners themselves, but I still can’t help but feel a little disappointed by what this beholds to me as a Halo player and fan.

Uh, We haven’t met any Forerunner descendants. We’ve met one actual Forerunner, an AI based on an actual one and what remains of the minds of actual Forerunners and Humans after being turned into digital beings and put into a Promethean body.

Sorry what I meant by descendants is the Promethean’s, they are a class of Forerunner after all

I was disappointed when I realized they looked just like humans. I was hoping that they would be designed to look a lot more alien with interesting features instead of them just looking like Voldemort. I would of liked them to at least have some sort of new alien feature, something more like this picture. 1
Never mind it not being actual concept art but it conveys my feelings towards them looking too human. Never mind the body.

Edit: Forerunners and Humans were once the same species? I have not heard that. Anyway I guess thats another thing I dislike about the forerunner legacy. I hope 343 an make them more interesting for me again or at least expand on the precursors. You know just not too much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I kinda wish that Forerunners were still a mysterious, extinct alien race. I wish we didn’t know so much about them. The mystery was a lot more fun.

But I don’t know if it’s 343i’s fault. It could just be the way Halo had to go in order to progress the story, in which case the same would’ve happened under Bungie’s control.

> I was disappointed when I realized they looked just like humans. I was hoping that they would be designed to look a lot more alien with interesting features instead of them just looking like Voldemort. I would of liked them to at least have some sort of head that fits these concept art pieces. 1
> Nevermind the humanoid looking body I think they look more alien.

Well, originally the Forerunner were Humans, so this is a lot better than that.

And the image you linked to is not Halo concept art, but concept art for a robot by Ben Mauro and is in no way related to Halo.

As for the OP, the Forerunners may have lost most of their mystery, but we have gained a new ancient race to wonder about, the Precursors. They came before the Forerunners (before our universe as well, it seems) and seeded many galaxies with life, including our own. They created us, the Forerunners, the Flood (or rather, they are the Flood), and likely most other sentient life forms within our galaxy.

Um Op you know there a whole set of 3 books that talk about the forerunners and there history right. I would give a reason but I don’t want to spoil the book just in case you want to read them.

Ever sense Halo CE I wanted to learn about the forerunners, now I got the chance to see what there like and read the books it really expanses the universe. The story direction is going greatly I hope they keep it up. Plus we got a new species to worry about which we barely know anything about the precursors. o_o

The reclamation has only just begun

I think the actual magic of the Forerunner mystique was that they were, in reality, generic. A long vanished, advanced alien race? That had been done hundreds of times before, Hell, Bungie did it in their previous game, Marathon. Naturally, we made up our own visions of what the Forerunners were like and nothing could top it. Obviously, I love what they did with them.

> <mark>I was disappointed when I realized they looked just like humans.</mark> I was hoping that they would be designed to look a lot more alien with interesting features instead of them just looking like Voldemort. I would of liked them to at least have some sort of head that fits these concept art pieces. 1
> Nevermind the humanoid looking body I think they look more alien.

They were originally humans, but Bungie changed that during development around Halo 2 & 3.

> I think the actual magic of the Forerunner mystique was that they were, in reality, generic. A long vanished, advanced alien race? That had been done hundreds of times before, Hell, Bungie did it in their previous game, Marathon. Naturally, we made up our own visions of what the Forerunners were like and nothing could top it. Obviously, I love what they did with them.

Finally, something that I can actually agree with.

Part of the reason they were a mystery is because halo 1-3 focused on the human covie war. Which is a small section of the halo universe. Secondly there is a whole series of books that go into more detail about it then the games do.

But to answer your question no. I feel the forunners were done beautifully.

Not trying to steer this thread off-topic but shouldn’t this be in the halo universe section of the forums?

And to answer your question I liked it and disliked it.

On the one hand I loved learning all about them but on the other I miss the sense of mystery surrounding them, but in the end I feel like it was a necessary plot line to explore.

> Part of the reason they were a mystery is because halo 1-3 focused on the human covie war. Which is a small section of the halo universe. Secondly there is a whole series of books that go into more detail about it then the games do.
>
> But to answer your question no. I feel the Forerunners were done beautifully.

I agree with this also. :slight_smile:

I thought 343i did a great job with them and the precursors are much more interesting imho.

IMHO 343 kinda botched it

> Sorry what I meant by descendants is the Promethean’s, they are a class of Forerunner after all

The Prometheans from H4 weren’t the soldiers of the warrior caste. They were humans digitized by the composer.

The Prometheans were human.

We have actually met one physical forerunner (Ur-Didact), spoken to the VI of another (Librarian), and been helped by a Forerunner AI (Mendicant Bias).

~ Duck.

343i did not botch anything.

They merely created detail to a idea that was ambiguous to start off with.

We have seen this in other fiction, most notably Star Wars. Every loved it when they knew little about the Force. Once Lucas fleshed it out a little… then mass hysteria ensued.

We have also seen this with the Forerunners. Halo CE introduces them as a god-like race that ascended to another plane…

The truth was something else…

Now we are seeing the same thing with the Precursors…

I never felt there was much mystery there to begin with. I find the Precursors to be a much better example of a mysterious force - being able to “mutate” space-time to allow for their ships to traverse easily, controlling evolution, making near-indestructible objects from Living Time (like the galaxy-spanning star-roads), turning themselves into the Flood who were then able to corrupt AIs like MB and Cortana just by talking to them(!); it’s all very mysterious. It’s all a bit BDO, certainly, but the same is true of the Forerunners.

Anyway, you can’t hold a mystery for over ten years. It gets old. Fighting Jul 'Mdama would have made for a seriously boring Halo 4.

> Fighting Jul 'Mdama would have made for a seriously boring Halo 4.

Not if they had bothered to actually flesh him out.