Has Halo 5's competitive focus made it less fun?

After playing a lot of Halo 5 since launch, I think I finally figured out my biggest problem with multiplayer. Yes, the gameplay and overall controls are fantastic, so well done there 343. But my problem comes with the extreme focus on competitive play. I used to like hopping into Halo multiplayer because it was fun and I could be casual if I wanted to. And if I really wanted to play to win, I could do that too. Now it feels like its only the latter. Whenever I play, I have to focus so intensely because of the high skill level required to play competently. Too me, this feels less fun than it used to. It just feels like constant pressure to keep moving up in skill rank but without much of the actual entertainment. I am by no means a particularly bad or amazing halo player, but I’ve been playing since halo 2 (yes I went back and played CE) so I think I sort of know what I’m talking about. This emphasis on competitive play may also be diminishing the player base (not 100% sure about that) because there is little breathing room for more casual players. They may be discouraged from playing after a fairly short amount of time. The game simply feels exhausting now. I love this franchise, and I guess I just miss the days when I could relax and play one of my favorite games without having to play with maximum effort unless I want to get slammed. I don’t think the competitive side of Halo should be removed, but possibly reworked. Oh, and can we go back to the Halo Reach style of spartan customization progression? Let the conversation flow!

all the things you say are pretty much spot on. the casual side of halo is fairly barebones with WZ being the only major casual mode besides minigame modes. there used to be BTB but that got -Yoinking!- destroyed. it litteraly burns how 343 made BTB a pseudo competitive waste of data space. fix BTB an you’ve taken your first step to bringing back casual play. the solution isn’t just to add things to WZ

That’s how I feel about it, too. Halo 5 just gives me a vibe that says “You win or you’re worthless.”

H5 is too busy. I’ll quote two posts from Gazorpazorp and arglactable from a different forum that are pretty much spot on with how I feel the game is now compared to older ones and they may be similar to how you feel as well.

> Gazorpazorp: The clutter is real. Older Halo games didn’t require such input so most matches had a relaxed vibe. But these new Halo games having you doing pointless inputs like Sprint/Jump Combo. When I used to play Halo 5 I would get burnt out so quickly because each map was pointlessly sweaty and hyperpaced. When ever I boot up the MCC I feel at home and feel relaxed playing Halo CE/2 I move at a comfortable speed, and enemy encounters are spread out evenly. Whereas in Halo 5 I’m sprinting, having to constantly check my 6’ because they radar is small as ****, having to check the weapon pads, and pay attention to the spartan chatter. I feel like I need to be jacked up on Red Bull to do moderately well.
>
> The main reason why I’ve been playing Overwatch so much is because there are no pointless inputs and it is properly balanced. I don’t need to worry about mobility unless my character has an ability that enables me to do so, the pacing of the game is flexible so things speed up when things get tense but it isn’t a constant tension that causes burnout.

> arglactable: Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m talking about. There is no chill Halo 5, because simply being baseline competent requires you to micromanage and worry about a ****load of abilities and context sensitive abilities (like how jump changes to clamber, crouch changes to slide, and melee is also cancer charge and ground pound). Even in a relatively loose match, you still have to worry about some idiot gold kid running around a corner, cancer charging you, and knee-capping you with their AR. At higher levels, you have people thrust sliding, bum jumping, thrust bumping, and whatnot all over the map, when they aren’t trying to stay off of your motion tracker to melt you with a storm rifle/SMG. The speed at which people can traverse the map is wildly inconsistent, which is made even more annoying by the geometric clutter made explicitly for spartan abilities and alternate routes and sneakies and whatnot that honey comb nearly every space.
>
> I honestly think that’s a big part of why casual players think this is the most “sweaty MLG tryhard” game ever.

Source page

Everything is too sweaty. I can’t play arena and have fun. Everything is too intense and there’s no relaxed game type. Even social has hidden CSR.

It kind of ruined it for me, that and the req unlock system just makes me want to play other games. it pushes me away more than it makes me want to stay.

I’m not sure how I feel about it, I better go consult some pro gamers for their opinion. I’ll get back to ya.

> 2533274911267611;6:
> It kind of ruined it for me, that and the req unlock system just makes me want to play other games. it pushes me away more than it makes me want to stay.

Haha the req system is a whole other post for another day

> 2727626560040591;4:
> H5 is too busy. I’ll quote two posts from Gazorpazorp and arglactable from a different forum that are pretty much spot on with how I feel the game is now compared to older ones and they may be similar to how you feel as well.
>
>
>
>
> > Gazorpazorp: The clutter is real. Older Halo games didn’t require such input so most matches had a relaxed vibe. But these new Halo games having you doing pointless inputs like Sprint/Jump Combo. When I used to play Halo 5 I would get burnt out so quickly because each map was pointlessly sweaty and hyperpaced. When ever I boot up the MCC I feel at home and feel relaxed playing Halo CE/2 I move at a comfortable speed, and enemy encounters are spread out evenly. Whereas in Halo 5 I’m sprinting, having to constantly check my 6’ because they radar is small as ****, having to check the weapon pads, and pay attention to the spartan chatter. I feel like I need to be jacked up on Red Bull to do moderately well.
> >
> > The main reason why I’ve been playing Overwatch so much is because there are no pointless inputs and it is properly balanced. I don’t need to worry about mobility unless my character has an ability that enables me to do so, the pacing of the game is flexible so things speed up when things get tense but it isn’t a constant tension that causes burnout.
>
>
>
>
> > arglactable: Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m talking about. There is no chill Halo 5, because simply being baseline competent requires you to micromanage and worry about a ****load of abilities and context sensitive abilities (like how jump changes to clamber, crouch changes to slide, and melee is also cancer charge and ground pound). Even in a relatively loose match, you still have to worry about some idiot gold kid running around a corner, cancer charging you, and knee-capping you with their AR. At higher levels, you have people thrust sliding, bum jumping, thrust bumping, and whatnot all over the map, when they aren’t trying to stay off of your motion tracker to melt you with a storm rifle/SMG. The speed at which people can traverse the map is wildly inconsistent, which is made even more annoying by the geometric clutter made explicitly for spartan abilities and alternate routes and sneakies and whatnot that honey comb nearly every space.
> >
> > I honestly think that’s a big part of why casual players think this is the most “sweaty MLG tryhard” game ever.
>
>
> Source page

Are you also on Beyond?