Has 343i replied to fanbase in regards to story?

So the reviews are and have been out for a bit, and the majority consensus is that the narrative is a step back from previous entries in the series. The most recent being Halo 4 where we were left with MC (and the story in general) at the threshold of turning a more human direction than has been seen thusfar. There are pockets here and there of people who enjoyed the direction Halo 5 took the story, but in general, critics and fans alike are disappointed.

My question is since these many reviews and videos have been released, has 343i reponded in any way to them and where can I find what they have said?

Google search for Frank O’Conner and his take on it. But the basic response was suck it up.

I do remember 343i confirming they have no plans for story DLC, aside from that I haven’t heard much.

Nothing you would want to hear…

Frank O’Conner has. In short, if you don’t like Halo 5’s story, you’re a stupid kid who doesn’t understand subtlety. But I’m going to assume that it’s just his personal opinion, and not an official stance by 343i as a whole. At least, I hope not…

> 2533274884387290;2:
> Google search for Frank O’Conner and his take on it. But the basic response was suck it up.

Thanks.

> 2533274846171508;4:
> Nothing you would want to hear…

Just read it and I agree. They really missed out on alot of the good plot points that were set up in favor of a story direction that not only is lame and overdone, but is kind of a slap in the face to Halo 4.

Only thing I can recall is that Frankie was salty in an time magazine interview lol

They only reply to things nobody gives a -Yoink- about.

They almost never post here, which is odd, considering this is their -Yoinking!- forum.

Yeah. Very disappointing.

> 2535410586901580;6:
> > 2533274884387290;2:
> > Google search for Frank O’Conner and his take on it. But the basic response was suck it up.
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> > 2533274846171508;4:
> > Nothing you would want to hear…
>
>
> Just read it and I agree. They really missed out on alot of the good plot points that were set up in favor of a story direction that not only is lame and overdone, but is kind of a slap in the face to Halo 4.

Its tough to say, but these guys aren’t so much stewards of a beloved franchise but a bunch of drunk guys steering this truck off a cliff. Every so often they jerk the wheel back to the road but each time they start veering back to the cliff. I’m guessing you read his interview where he basically gave the finger to fans. Coming from guy who was part of Halo from the Bungie days that was about the dumbest thing he could have done.

I don’t think nobody was happy with Halo 5’s story, yes there are people who will like it like any other thing, but even among us fans that LOVED the Halo 4 story (like myself) we didn’t like the take on Halo 5’s story.

They have this thing of killing cool character like Jul M’dama and The Didact just for what? to not have anything with them in the next game? It’s like Halo 4 never really happened and they started from scratch.

> 2533274815449320;11:
> I don’t think nobody was happy with Halo 5’s story, yes there are people who will like it like any other thing, but even among us fans that LOVED the Halo 4 story (like myself) we didn’t like the take on Halo 5’s story.
>
> They have this thing of killing cool character like Jul M’dama and The Didact just for what? to not have anything with them in the next game? It’s like Halo 4 never really happened and they started from scratch.

Which is funny cause a lot of the older Halo fans hated 4s story and like this one.

> 2533274907200114;12:
> > 2533274815449320;11:
> > I don’t think nobody was happy with Halo 5’s story, yes there are people who will like it like any other thing, but even among us fans that LOVED the Halo 4 story (like myself) we didn’t like the take on Halo 5’s story.
> >
> > They have this thing of killing cool character like Jul M’dama and The Didact just for what? to not have anything with them in the next game? It’s like Halo 4 never really happened and they started from scratch.
>
>
> Which is funny cause a lot of the older Halo fans hated 4s story and like this one.

I’m an older Halo fan, and I loved every one of Bungie’s stories. The only one I didn’t think much of was Halo Wars, it was ok but not great. Neither of 343’s stories have really resonated with me in the same way.

Deep down, for me personally at least. I wish they would come out and say that the script we got, was something they came up with last second and their original amazing plot was scrapped for reasons… But I know… This may not be the case…

At least BungleVision has the guts to openly admit their previous script for Density was scrapped for being too well written and they wanted to create a quick plot with lots of drama and plot twists and little to no context for kids to easily take in and digest while being short so they can quickly brush people over to their multiplayer component. And I fear that is also exactly what happened to Halo 5…

> 2533274907200114;12:
> > 2533274815449320;11:
> > I don’t think nobody was happy with Halo 5’s story, yes there are people who will like it like any other thing, but even among us fans that LOVED the Halo 4 story (like myself) we didn’t like the take on Halo 5’s story.
> >
> > They have this thing of killing cool character like Jul M’dama and The Didact just for what? to not have anything with them in the next game? It’s like Halo 4 never really happened and they started from scratch.
>
>
> Which is funny cause a lot of the older Halo fans hated 4s story and like this one.

I like Halo CE to Halo 4’s Story (Also Halo Wars was good imo) as for the bottom ones in my list are Halo Reach and Halo 5, but that’s just me.

One of my problem with Halo 5 is what happened to all those books,comics,podcast we read,heard and watch? All of it goes to the toilet thanks to Halo 5 because none of it matters anymore and that’s just one problem, I don’t need to express how much they talk in the campaign every single second.

Well at least one good thing came out of this trainwreck of an story: Jen Taylor

Nothing ever addressing the issues. Just talking about how hard it is to make a story and working as a team, cop outs etc.

I think they take the criticism to heart though and Halo6 should deliver (if they get enough time to make it).

> 2533274907200114;12:
> > 2533274815449320;11:
> >
>
>

I’m an older Halo fan and I didn’t really start disliking Halo 4’s story until the Librarian showed up and retconned the ever loving hell out of everything. Seeds and eventualities and go compile yourself into the garbage bin.

Besides Frankie’s fairly condesending TIME interview? They did talk about bit about some story elements in one of The Sprint episodes, but it wasn’t much and I’m not sure how much any of it can be believed. They say, for instance, Cortana surviving was planned since they finished Halo 4, but I don’t believe that given they provided a retcon for her survival in a forum post by Catalog (an in universe character who answered story questions here on Waypoint) saying the “heart” of the Mantle’s Approach jumped to slipspace before the ship was destroyed. That was in late 2014, two years after Halo 4 launched. Everything else about her said she died.

I wish Frankie actually cared about us. The “nano bot” get over it explanation. Then the “actually if you think about it Halo 5 is more of a Master Chief story by not playing as him” explanation. It is so frustrating with his whole f you mentality.