Harassing girlgamers- we all should be embarrassed

my girlfriend loves halo. But at least 1 of every 3 games she plays is marked by some punk who betrayed her and says horrible crass sexist crap to her the whole time. At the least she just gets picked on.

And she’s good. She finishes top on her team often, but the whole time she has these -Yoinks!- ruining her experience.

Talking trash is one thing. Harassing someone, and let’s be honest it’s just because she’s a girl, is another. You kids who do this should be banned permanently. You aren’t mature enough to be in this social environment without supervision. And shame on gamers who hear this -Yoink- going down and don’t jump in. You are allowing your community to be a hostile and unpleasant thing for people who are In the game for all the right reasons. I’m just so disgusted by this and 343 you need to make it easier to see who is talking. Half the time she can’t even see who is running their mouth.

thats my rant.

Gamers? Being intolerant against women, other races, -Yoink!-, or even people that play differently?

Who would have thought of so?

> 2535456728927988;1:
> my girlfriend loves halo. But at least 1 of every 3 games she plays is marked by some punk who betrayed her and says horrible crass sexist crap to her the whole time. At the least she just gets picked on.
>
> And she’s good. She finishes top on her team often, but the whole time she has these -Yoinks!- ruining her experience.
>
> Talking trash is one thing. Harassing someone, and let’s be honest it’s just because she’s a girl, is another. You kids who do this should be banned permanently. You aren’t mature enough to be in this social environment without supervision. And shame on gamers who hear this -Yoink- going down and don’t jump in. You are allowing your community to be a hostile and unpleasant thing for people who are In the game for all the right reasons. I’m just so disgusted by this and 343 you need to make it easier to see who is talking. Half the time she can’t even see who is running their mouth.
>
> thats my rant.

It is what it is. Too many gamers are really ignorant and arrogant, which is a bad combination.

Look, I get the sentiment here and there should be an easier way to see who is talking in the match so you can promptly mute some numb skull. Though I don’t really get why people treat ‘gamer’ like it’s something we can kick people out of or correct people who are gamers. The bar for entry for being a gamer is to just play games.

There’s a mute button for a reason. If you encounter -Yoink!-’ like that just mute them. If they spam you with messages, block them.

EDIT: I know you can’t see whose talking but you can also mute everyone until you hear them stop talking. I really wish there was a better way but there isn’t

I’m not going to be ashamed because of bunch of prepubescent brats can’t handle talking to a girl.

> 2533274812698627;2:
> Gamers? Being intolerant against women, other races, -Yoink!-, or even people that play differently?
>
> Who would have thought of

you good with that? That’s what you want to be associated with?

i can kind of see this, there are some idiots online who just love to run at the mouth. i’m glad i am not like this and treat everyone equally.

i agree with this though, this behavior should not be acceptable.

There’s no indication for women. A sexist can sound like anyone. At least I can tell the type of person that would use honest racial slurs at me if I kept my mic on, but I truly feel bad about your girlfriend.

Rated Teen?

well, if i remember correctly, the age requirement to play on live is about 13 but a lot of parents buy it for their kids and not even know what kind of things their kids are saying when they play online. This is part of the problem as well.

Guys with all due respect these are easy answers from ppl who don’t have to deal with being gay or black or a girl online.

If someone started shouting like that on the street you would shrug and say “ignore it?”

If I’m in a game with a -Yoink!- I speak up. My gf doesn’t want to mute the team she plays competitively.

You can absolutely affect online attitudes. Or at least speak up in game so people aren’t getting harassed all alone.

> 2535460843083983;9:
> There’s no indication for women. A sexist can sound like anyone. At least I can tell the type of person that would use honest racial slurs at me if I kept my mic on, but I truly feel bad about your girlfriend.

It sucks man. She deserves to have a fun time online without someone making it miserable.

> 2533274812698627;2:
> Gamers? Being intolerant against women, other races, -Yoink!-, or even people that play differently?
>
> Who would have thought of so
>
>
> > 2533274812698627;2:
> > Gamers? Being intolerant against women, other races, -Yoink!-, or even people that play differently?
> >
> > Who would have thought of so?
>
> How dare you sir! Gamers are a fun loving, caring and social people!.. lol

NO ONE. And I mean, NO ONE is going to make me feel embarrased for someone’s elses wrong doings.

I did not enslaved black people, I do not harrass women, I have nothing to say about anyone’s race because it matters not to me.

I am a latino man that enjoys playing without problem with his british, canadian, american friends, both boys and girls.

You are in your right to rant about the experience, but you have no right to tell me to be embarrased about something out of my control.

So go grab 343i’s and Microsoft’s attention to fix the issue, since they can actually do something about it.

> 2535456728927988;1:
> my girlfriend loves halo. But at least 1 of every 3 games she plays is marked by some punk who betrayed her and says horrible crass sexist crap to her the whole time. At the least she just gets picked on.
>
> And she’s good. She finishes top on her team often, but the whole time she has these -Yoinks!- ruining her experience.
>
> Talking trash is one thing. Harassing someone, and let’s be honest it’s just because she’s a girl, is another. You kids who do this should be banned permanently. You aren’t mature enough to be in this social environment without supervision. And shame on gamers who hear this -Yoink- going down and don’t jump in. You are allowing your community to be a hostile and unpleasant thing for people who are In the game for all the right reasons. I’m just so disgusted by this and 343 you need to make it easier to see who is talking. Half the time she can’t even see who is running their mouth.
>
> thats my rant.

I apologize if I sound callous when I say this, but why should “we” (as in the entire Halo online gaming community) collectively be embarrassed because some teenage jerks go after your girlfriend when she’s better than them at the game? Especially in games “we” weren’t even part of and therefore can’t do anything about?

Frankly it sounds like these guys just hating on your gf because of her skill, and use the fact she’s a girl as a way to try and get under her skin to make her lose focus. It’s unfortunately just a more spiteful form of trash-talking.

However, I do agree with you that 343i needs to work on making it easier to know who’s talking when, because it’s a bit of a headache trying to communicate with several random strangers on your team in Warzone without knowing who’s speaking half the time (even if it’s just to mute people).

Why 343i decided a Rated T Halo game instead of the normal Rated M was a good idea is beyond me. Not that ratings have stopped foul-mouthed kids from popping up online before, but it usually cuts down on the immaturity somewhat.

> 2533274822956263;16:
> > 2535456728927988;1:
> > my girlfriend loves halo. But at least 1 of every 3 games she plays is marked by some punk who betrayed her and says horrible crass sexist crap to her the whole time. At the least she just gets picked on.
> >
> > And she’s good. She finishes top on her team often, but the whole time she has these -Yoinks!- ruining her experience.
> >
> > Talking trash is one thing. Harassing someone, and let’s be honest it’s just because she’s a girl, is another. You kids who do this should be banned permanently. You aren’t mature enough to be in this social environment without supervision. And shame on gamers who hear this -Yoink- going down and don’t jump in. You are allowing your community to be a hostile and unpleasant thing for people who are In the game for all the right reasons. I’m just so disgusted by this and 343 you need to make it easier to see who is talking. Half the time she can’t even see who is running their mouth.
> >
> > thats my rant.
>
>
> I apologize if I sound callous when I say this, but why should “we” (as in the entire Halo online gaming community) collectively be embarrassed because some teenage jerks go after your girlfriend when she’s better than them at the game? Especially in games “we” weren’t even part of and therefore can’t do anything about?
>

Exactly. It has no more to do with me then a black guy robbing a store has to do with me. Or a guy assaulting a women. Or an American being rude in Italy.

They share my attributes but I’m not beholden to their actions. Fact is there’s jerks on the planet. Luckily, there’s mute buttons too.

It’s only one button you have to hit to see who is talking. Hit it while they are talking and you will see who it is… then mute, report, and block simple as that.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Here comes Anita sarkisian supporters…

> 2533274816788253;18:
> It’s only one button you have to hit to see who is talking. Hit it while they are talking and you will see who it is… then mute, report, and block simple as that.

Not acceptable. If I hear something rude, racist, sexist or mean the person that said it should quit the game out of courtesy. My time is to valuable to waist it hitting a mute button. /s