Halsey may become the new Cortana

With the community still wondering about Cortana and her future for the franchise after her death in Halo 4, many people have wondered what kind of companion Chief may get on his continued journey. Blue Team is a popular suggestion, but within the realm of AI companions, I believe that Dr. Halsey may become the “new” Cortana. I won’t write an overly long complicated mess of a theory for people to decode, instead I’ll just go down my individual points and their connections in a list format.

• Cortana was created from the living, cloned brain of Dr. Halsey under the scientists own secret conditions. Her creation marked a departure from the usual ways UNSC AIs were made. Usually the brain from a deceased donor was used, but Halsey believed the Spartan-IIs needed the best brain for their duties to aid them, ergo Cortana.- Interestingly, the Composer device in Halo 4 appears to utilize a similar process to artificial intelligence creation like the method Halsey used. Living, organic beings are converted into digital ones. Also of note is a audio log in the Composer mission in Halo 4 from Halsey that mentioned the Composer resembles the AI-matrix SHE designed. - Now for some foreshadowing I believe was given to us in Spartan Ops. While being interrogated by Palmer and Lasky, Halsey utters this line. "Life is too short, I will never learn all that exist in our tiny galaxy let alone the rest of the universe. And I so desperately want to know…everything. But the UNSC acts like children at play in a sandbox. Mistaking its edges for the limits of the world."- Halsey desires to know everything, yet biologically that is an impossibility as human beings cannot live long enough to accomplish such a task nor have the memory to even try. Yet an AI has a better chance of doing so.- Before being shot by Palmer and kidnapped by Jul 'Mdama, Halsey was told of the Absolute Record and how the Janus Key was an index of all Forerunner technology in the galaxy. We don’t know what the Absolute Record is, but I’m willing to bet it is a vast catalog of information (some speculate it may have a connection with Mendicant Bias, but thus far it is only speculation).- Though in the clutches of Jul 'Mdama, I believe that at some point in Halo 5 or maybe in Halo: Escalation, Halsey will escape her confines and go to where the Absolute Record is. With the aid of a Composer, which there was more than one, Halsey could conceivably compose herself into an AI and store the contents of the Absolute Record and both satisfy her scientific curiosity and aid Chief in his journey.
    From a more personal perspective, however, I simply think it would be poetic that the mind that gave us Cortana would in turn become an AI just like Cortana and accomplish the goal of being the best mind the Spartans could use in their mission. With Chief and all the generations of Spartans representing the biological and physical evolution of humanity according to the Librarian’s plan, perhaps AIs like Cortana and the potential Halsey AI may represent the next leap in digital evolution for humanity with living beings perhaps not fit to be warriors using their expanded minds to better the knowledge of mankind. But that’s just a thought. Not the heaviest of evidence of the theories I’ve done, but I didn’t quite know how to present it and I will answer questions if anyone has them.

If this ever does happen, I’m all for it. Poetic indeed.

Sir, I don’t always agree with what you have to say, but I very much appreciate that you took the time to compose and write this post up for us. I tip my helmet to you.

“It won’t be me, you know that right?”
Cortana, old memories…

I love the idea, but I think it’s a little farfetch’d. But then, 343 can do what they want.

No remember how they tried to reverse the fourrunners ro make them human again and they turned to the flood? Well they key dr halsey got in the Spartan ops at the end? She said everything thats ever been creates basically is in that key and exactly where its at even if its not physically there in reality. Dr halsey has more than enough brain to finish there, work so susurely cortana is coming back but question is, will she still be the same AI or will she be human and have a life with cheif? Bc they def made a relationship all in all she is the only one he showed emotions for aint no way she is gone forever

Is the composer seen in H4 the same type that composed Chakas (only with different “settings”)?

However, I wouldn’t put many things past Halsey but willingly giving up your human body and human life and everything that is attached to that to live forever as a digital being seems extreme even for her, in my opinion.

> 2533274883018081;6:
> No remember how they tried to reverse the fourrunners ro make them human again and they turned to the flood? Well they key dr halsey got in the Spartan ops at the end? She said everything thats ever been creates basically is in that key and exactly where its at even if its not physically there in reality. Dr halsey has more than enough brain to finish there, work so susurely cortana is coming back but question is, will she still be the same AI or will she be human and have a life with cheif? Bc they def made a relationship all in all she is the only one he showed emotions for aint no way she is gone forever

Uh dude… your lore is so -Yoink–backwards it’s kind of insane… =/

Not trying to be a -Yoink-, but like… read through Halo Nation for a bit, you might learn something. Like where the Forerunner and the Flood ultimately came from.

> 2533274883018081;6:
> No remember how they tried to reverse the fourrunners ro make them human again and they turned to the flood? Well they key dr halsey got in the Spartan ops at the end? She said everything thats ever been creates basically is in that key and exactly where its at even if its not physically there in reality. Dr halsey has more than enough brain to finish there, work so susurely cortana is coming back but question is, will she still be the same AI or will she be human and have a life with cheif? Bc they def made a relationship all in all she is the only one he showed emotions for aint no way she is gone forever

What??? Forerunner =/= human nor were they ever humans. That’s not how the flood came to be, the flood came from outside our galaxy.

Thats not how this works… That’s not how any of this works.

> 2533274807544947;9:
> > 2533274883018081;6:
> > No remember how they tried to reverse the fourrunners ro make them human again and they turned to the flood? Well they key dr halsey got in the Spartan ops at the end? She said everything thats ever been creates basically is in that key and exactly where its at even if its not physically there in reality. Dr halsey has more than enough brain to finish there, work so susurely cortana is coming back but question is, will she still be the same AI or will she be human and have a life with cheif? Bc they def made a relationship all in all she is the only one he showed emotions for aint no way she is gone forever
>
>
> What??? Forerunner =/= human nor were they ever humans. That’s not how the flood came to be, the flood came from outside our galaxy.
>
> Thats not how this works… That’s not how any of this works.

“This doesn’t even seem physically possible!”

As long as she isn’t old. I don’t need some granny AI yammering on in my ear about how “Back in her day, the covenant were the only real threat.”

> 2533274965837334;7:
> Is the composer seen in H4 the same type that composed Chakas (only with different “settings”)?
>
> However, I wouldn’t put many things past Halsey but willingly giving up your human body and human life and everything that is attached to that to live forever as a digital being seems extreme even for her, in my opinion.

She’s already shown that she isn’t in it for personal gain, in the beginning cut scene she states that the Spartan’s are our next step in our PHYSICAL evolution. This could raise the question of “Why wouldn’t she have someone do all the augmentations to her as she did to the Spartans?”.

Well she even says so her self, Children’s bodies are more acceptable of the augmentation, as well as indoctrination. It would be a waste of assets to do such procedures on an adult. Halsey is trying to EVERYTHING possible within her lifetime to advance human civilization as well as preserve our place in the universe.

I don’t foresee her second guessing, even for a second, a chance to become an AI and live eternally (essentially).

Halo’s story is headed in a direction of Spartan & AI will be humanities future. Both intertwined. Two bodies in one. One with the raw brute force to defend themselves, and the other with an ever expanding intellect, with knowledge of how to use that brute force and what actions need to be taken to preserve humanity.

“The reclamation has already begun… And we are helpless to stop it.” - The Didact at the end of Halo 4.

Interesting…

> Halsey desires to know everything, yet biologically that is an impossibility as human beings cannot live long enough to accomplish such a task nor have the memory to even try. Yet an AI has a better chance of doing so.

An AI is also limited by age. If she merly turns into a “smart” AI, she has effectively limited her life span in order to gain knowledge faster.

> Interestingly, the Composer device in Halo 4 appears to utilize a similar process to artificial intelligence creation like the method Halsey used. Living, organic beings are converted into digital ones. Also of note is a audio log in the Composer mission in Halo 4 from Halsey that mentioned the Composer resembles the AI-matrix SHE designed.

“But its results soured. The stored personalities fragmented, and our attempts to return them into biological states created only abominations.”

What makes you think Halsey will fare any better? There’s also the issue of activating the Composers. I’m curious how she can say the process is similar when the Forerunners didn’t even understand how it digitized people.

> Though in the clutches of Jul 'Mdama, I believe that at some point in Halo 5 or maybe in Halo: Escalation, Halsey will escape her confines and go to where the Absolute Record is. With the aid of a Composer, which there was more than one, Halsey could conceivably compose herself into an AI and store the contents of the Absolute Record and both satisfy her scientific curiosity and aid Chief in his journey.

An AI form that can very easily be captured or destroyed. Not the safest way of protecting that information. Also, Cortana had issues processing the information from Installation 04 and I believe she also said in First Strike that she feared it might have affected her lifespan.

> 2533274885566464;13:
> Interesting…

Interesting Indeed…

Along with Cortana, I hope the flood returns in Halo 5, because there still might be flood on the remains of Instillation 04.

While I too have pondered Halsey’s words of disliking her mortality, her becoming the new Cortana seems off as Halsey longs for immortality and knowledge but Cortana accepted her “mortality” upon creation… And of course again in H4.
If we compare ids, Halsey strives for immortality, Cortana embraces it.

So;
Halsey becoming a form of ancilla? Oh yes, seems so very likely. The voice acting really strikes deep with those quoted words.
Halsey becoming the sidekick of the Chief once digitized? Seems likely for at least a short while.
Halsey becoming the new Cortana? I believe she would quickly show that she’s no Cortana, the AI we grew to love.

Power corrupts and the fear of loosing that power corrupts absolutely. Where Catherine once sided with the UNSC because it was her home, the galactic truth has given her incite that combined with the feeling of betrayal and rage from both the UNSC and Covenant, I see her going “Didact” on the us on in a twisted belief she is saving humanity in the long run.

By that I mean she will have changed in a similar manner to what the Didact did over the course of the Human-Forerunner-Flood War. The loving mother of humanity from 40 years ago will have transformed into something that thinks it knows better… And can now enact what it knows. The galaxy is run by the “stupid” and all she remembers of her life is saving humanity, one form or another. She sacrificed her family, both of them, and if she is going to ensure their deaths were not in vain, with all that power and all those unwilling to listen… Other words of conviction “My work saved the human race.”
Catherine will not loose that which she “exists” for.

So ya, new AI sidekick for the Chief??? For a short while definitely possible. A replacement for the void Blue left us for a few more games and whatnot? Don’t believe so.