Halothon: Halo Combat Evolved

Welcome to the Halothon! Please read the specifics about this particular festivity before participating:

Finish the Game: Introducing Halothon the Halo campaign club

Current selection: Halo: Contact Evolved
Assigned: December 17th,2010
Recommended completion date: January 17th, 2011
Discussion opens: December 17th, 2010

Rules

1. Participation is optional and open to all forum members.
  2. Standard forum rules apply (brush up on forum guidelines Here).
  3. Participants are expected to keep discussion on-topic and relating to the games only unless specifyed.
  4. Please do not address your questions to 343 Industries but instead direct them to fellow Halothon participants.

*While the Halothon is not intended to be a place to ask 343 Industries specific questions, it will provide a structured, friendly environment for those interested in participating in spirited, game-related discussion with fellow fans. The beginning will be discussed first, but please be advised this thread may contain spoilers if you have yet to complete the game. Enter at your own risk!

If your anything like me you like to go back to the game that started it off and play it through without thinking about what it has become today but what a great game it it then this is the right place to be. I started the discussion topic the same time I set it as people like to play the game and beat it in a speed run and we would be talking about something that people did 4 days ago or so.
Like the Book Club: Contact Harvest thread “I’d like to keep the focus on the first half for now. Please avoid spoilers for the time being if possible.”

So lets get started In Halo Combat Evolved, Bungie set the opening cutscene after an basicly unknown battle and introduced us to Captain Keyes and Cortana and other characters. What mood did it prepare for you before playing the game? Did you like the back story? Did you find that it elicited any emotions, and if so, what in particular sparked that reaction?

I thought it made alot of mystery of who they were fleeing from and why they were running also what was the ring thing you first see in the cutscene and menu. But was brought a spark Johnsons epic statment as he prepared his men for battle. Altogether it made me curious of how that would tie in the rest of the story and why that ship (Pillar of Autumn) was so important.

I’m glad Halo Combat Evolved is also on PC.

I am always awed when I see the autumn flying toward the Ring. The music and the scene all mix together to get that great Sci-fi feel. I shiver form the chills from this first scene gives every time I watch it.

I really don’t remember how it was when I first played halo CE. But I really like the intro part. Halo CE, Halo the Flood, Halo Reach and Halo The fall of Reach all share it. The begining.

I’m reading the flood at the sametime as I’m playing it. Well I read up a bit then go back to the game, it’s a bit like a strategy guide telling you where enemies are.

Reach had more CE references than I can count.

> Reach had more CE references than I can count.

Name them.

Reading and playing! The flood, it’s so horrible it’s scary! I feel like I have nowhere to run! Nowhere to hide!

> I am always awed when I see the autumn flying toward the Ring. The music and the scene all mix together to get that great Sci-fi feel. I shiver form the chills from this first scene gives every time I watch it.

I agree, CE had the best intro out of all the halo games. It just told you so much, and really set the scene,. where as reach I dont think really told you anything other than you had come to replace a dead member of Nobel team.

> > Reach had more CE references than I can count.
>
> Name them.
>
> Reading and playing! The flood, it’s so horrible it’s scary! I feel like I have nowhere to run! Nowhere to hide!

Let’s start with the obvious.
Many of the chapter titles were CE references, or H2, 3 references. Few were new ones.
ONI Sword base opening - Truth and Reconc opening
Solace beach segment - Silent cartographer first segment
New Alexandria - Two Betrayals
Package scorpion section - Assault Scorpion section
Nightfall - Truth and Reconc beginning
Winter Contingency driving segment - Halo
Tip of the Spear opening cutscene - Silent Cartographer opening

There’s a lot more I remember feeling, but that’s all I have right now. Maybe I’m making too many connections.

> > > Reach had more CE references than I can count.
> >
> > Name them.
> >
> > Reading and playing! The flood, it’s so horrible it’s scary! I feel like I have nowhere to run! Nowhere to hide!
>
> Let’s start with the obvious.
> Many of the chapter titles were CE references, or H2, 3 references. Few were new ones.
> ONI Sword base opening - Truth and Reconc opening
> Solace beach segment - Silent cartographer first segment
> New Alexandria - Two Betrayals
> Package scorpion section - Assault Scorpion section
> Nightfall - Truth and Reconc beginning
> Winter Contingency driving segment - Halo
> Tip of the Spear opening cutscene - Silent Cartographer opening
>
> There’s a lot more I remember feeling, but that’s all I have right now. Maybe I’m making too many connections.

[O_O]

The only reference I see is Nightfall - Truth and Reconciliation part I.
Tip of the spear opening cutscene looks like a reference to the flood book.