Halothon: Halo CE Discussion

Welcome to the Halothon! Please read the specifics about this particular festivity before participating:
Finish the Game: Introducing Halothon the Halo campaign club

Current selection: Halo: Contact Evolved
Assigned: February 25th,2010
Recommended completion date: March 25th, 2011
Discussion opens: February 28th, 2011

Rules

1. Participation is optional and open to all forum members.
  2. Standard forum rules apply (brush up on forum guidelines Here).
  3. Participants are expected to keep discussion on-topic and relating to the games only unless specifyed.
  4. Please do not address your questions to 343 Industries but instead direct them to fellow Halothon participants.

*While the Halothon is not intended to be a place to ask 343 Industries specific questions, it will provide a structured, friendly environment for those interested in participating in spirited, game-related discussion with fellow fans. The beginning will be discussed first, but please be advised this thread may contain spoilers if you have yet to complete the game. Enter at your own risk!

If your anything like me you like to go back to the game that started it off and play it through without thinking about what it has become today but what a great game it it then this is the right place to be. I started the discussion topic the same time I set it as people like to play the game and beat it in a speed run and we would be talking about something that people did 4 days ago or so.

Like the Book Club: Contact Harvest thread "I’d like to keep the focus on the first half for now. Please avoid spoilers for the time being if possible."So lets get started In Halo Combat Evolved, Bungie set the opening cutscene after an basicly unknown battle and introduced us to Captain Keyes and Cortana and other characters. What mood did it prepare for you before playing the game? Did you like the back story? Did you find that it elicited any emotions, and if so, what in particular sparked that reaction?
I thought it made alot of mystery of who they were fleeing from and why they were running also what was the ring thing you first see in the cutscene and menu. But was brought a spark Johnsons epic statment as he prepared his men for battle. Altogether it made me curious of how that would tie in the rest of the story and why that ship (Pillar of Autumn) was so important.

When I first stepped foot on the bridge of the Pillar of Autumn and watched Captain Keyes dialogue, I often wondered what Reach was like and what the Cole Protocol stood for. For me, it wasn’t so much why the Autumn was important, but why the Autumn was out so far, alone, and being attacked. The beginning of Halo had no information set prior and everything was open for speculation.

Seeing Cortana flicker for the first time was interesting as well, as most sci-fi universes limit AI to less than important roles like archiving and basic function controls. And when the Master Chief emerges from cryo, it made you wonder why he was the only one there and if there were more like him.

For me, anyways, it was more the expanse of humanity and it’s back story that perked my interest in Halo more than the actual ring, whichs played out to be more than a space relic.

Mmm… the meeting of Keyes, Cortana and the Chief on the bridge as the Autumn was attacked by the Covenant definitely set the scene. And throughout the game there was this theme of desperation and survival against the formidable Covenant and terrifying Flood.

I have to ask though… WHO keeps a Pistol with no ammo haha? I mean… honestly? xP

> Mmm… the meeting of Keyes, Cortana and the Chief on the bridge as the Autumn was attacked by the Covenant definitely set the scene. And throughout the game there was this theme of desperation and survival against the formidable Covenant and terrifying Flood.
>
> I have to ask though… WHO keeps a Pistol with no ammo haha? I mean… honestly? xP

You’ve obviously never met Keyes.

XD

Anyways, I started a pretty good thread like this on Bungie.net. I was going through CE Legendary for the first time, and it ended up sparking some pretty good discussion and tips that died off as soon as I actually beat the game. I’ll go find the thread and link y’all if you’d like to read.

> Like the Book Club: Contact Harvest thread "I’d like to keep the focus on the first half for now. Please avoid spoilers for the time being if possible."So lets get started In Halo Combat Evolved, Bungie set the opening cutscene after an basicly unknown battle and introduced us to Captain Keyes and Cortana and other characters. What mood did it prepare for you before playing the game? Did you like the back story? Did you find that it elicited any emotions, and if so, what in particular sparked that reaction?

I liked how this set the tone for Master Chief’s role in the game - he was focussed merely on following orders, without getting too drawn in to the skirmishes which you saw so often on your way to the bridge… marines were slightly in awe of you and were happy to let you pass.

Meeting Keyes was cool - I like how he was fiddling with the pipe and confused by his lack of ammo in his pistol! I remember being intrigued by Cortana and was very keen to go and get started meeting and beating the Covies on the ship when I played it for the first time!

I like how the first section of the level works as a training section - there are corridors to get through, no pressure to engage the Covenant and you can approach the dogfights in different ways (grenade tossing, cover hiding or guns blazing to name but a few) so it makes for a good refresher / intro to game play without being too patronising…

First things first. How am i gonna repair the disk? The campaign is basically severed because of the corrupted data, therefore cutscenes are black at certian levels, the frame rate jumps too high, All covie weapons that have a battery already say battery depleted even though it’s fully loaded, and the maw i’m stuck with no weapon with an unknown view.

> First things first. How am i gonna repair the disk? The campaign is basically severed because of the corrupted data, therefore cutscenes are black at certian levels, the frame rate jumps too high, All covie weapons that have a battery already say battery depleted even though it’s fully loaded, and the maw i’m stuck with no weapon with an unknown view.

Hmmmmm I think you have to get the game replaced or download the Game of the xbox marketplace. If you want, you can talk about the campaign levels, if the game works well enough. Remember if you really need to watch cutscenes theres always youtube but I think that just spoils the experience of the game. So really it’s up to you what you do. Hope this helps.

Just finished the Pillar of Autumn. Great memories. I miss this pistol.

The melee animation…

…it was good.

> The melee animation…
>
> …it was good.

The needler melee animation in CE is really bad.

I randomly played the campaign over the past three days before seeing this thread so it is nice timing.
Playing the campaign now, having read all the Halo literature, is much different than playing it 8 years ago. I actually didn’t start reading the books until the second half of last year, so I had always only thought of the story in terms of the major plot points.
I replayed CE for the first time just before Reach was released- I had just read The Fall of Reach- and then again this week after I finished reading the last of the Halo novels, Evolutions. Knowing what I know now, I am impressed with the detail laid out in the universe before you even weild a pistol. Had I read FoR all those years ago, it would have made sense at the time, but on replays I am impressed that Bungie created this massive intricate universe and made a fantastic game out of it.
Other impressions- I love the relationship that is established between Cortana and Chief. They have great rapport, and it shows right from the start.

Cortana: Sleep well?
Master Chief: No thanks to your driving, yes.
Cortana: So you did miss me.

> > The melee animation…
> >
> > …it was good.
>
> The needler melee animation in CE is really bad.

When you say bad about the Needler melee, do you mean “bad” in a good way? Because I really liked the Needler animation… using the spikes to inflict opponents with. It was brutal. And gave me a good impression of the Master Chief as a Spartan too. Back then, I didn’t know who he was… but those animations sure depicted SPARTAN STRENGTH! xD

> > > The melee animation…
> > >
> > > …it was good.
> >
> > The needler melee animation in CE is really bad.
>
> When you say bad, do you mean “bad” in a good way? Because I really liked the Needler animation… using the spikes to inflict opponents with. It was brutal. And gave me a good impression of the Master Chief as a Spartan too. Back then, I didn’t know who he was… but those animations sure depicted SPARTAN STRENGTH! xD

Bad in a bad way. The animation took way too long. That is my only frustration with it.

Ah I see. Yeah… quite a few of the melee animations were slow in Combat Evolved. =(

I probably should have mentioned it but I was refering to the Pistol anyway. The way Master Chief flipped it was so cool.

> I love the relationship that is established between Cortana and Chief. They have great rapport, and it shows right from the start.
>
> Cortana: Sleep well?
> Master Chief: No thanks to your driving, yes.
> Cortana: So you did miss me.

Definitely have to agree. As a gameplay and storytelling device, Cortana was a great way to introduce the player to a lot of new things too.

> Ah I see. Yeah… quite a few of the melee animations were slow in Combat Evolved. =(
>
> I probably should have mentioned it but I was refering to the Pistol anyway. The way Master Chief flipped it was so cool.
>
>
>
> > I love the relationship that is established between Cortana and Chief. They have great rapport, and it shows right from the start.
> >
> > Cortana: Sleep well?
> > Master Chief: No thanks to your driving, yes.
> > Cortana: So you did miss me.
>
> Definitely have to agree. As a gameplay and storytelling device, Cortana was a great way to introduce the player to a lot of new things too.

I liked that an AI was your co-protagonist. It added to the sense that there is nobody else like you in this universe, even though we learn later that there are other SIIs out there.

I sooooo love the second level where the world opens up, green and sunny and beautiful, and the way the level opens its objectives up to let you hit them in any order and explore the surface of the right… in my opinion it’s the best level in the entire series. I like the drop pod rescue where the marines hide in the boulders, if you go to the right you can drive the warthog up to the top. I always set it up near the back of the biggest boulder where the marines gather and let one of the soldiers man the gun while I ambush them. So awesome.

> I sooooo love the second level where the world opens up, green and sunny and beautiful, and the way the level opens its objectives up to let you hit them in any order and explore the surface of the right… in my opinion it’s the best level in the entire series. I like the drop pod rescue where the marines hide in the boulders, if you go to the right you can drive the warthog up to the top. I always set it up near the back of the biggest boulder where the marines gather and let one of the soldiers man the gun while I ambush them. So awesome.

This goes on to my next question after you got on the escape pod and escaped how did you feel leaving the distressed ship and aswell how did you feel when you left the escape pod.

I thought that leaving the ship behind was aggravating as I was wanting to help the remaining crew of the POA so they could have had a larger chance of survival even though I had cortanna on me. But that changed then I made it to the ringworld and a world opened around me, New, spectacular and mysterious it just made me wanna… explore.

Didn’t really think anything about leaving the ship, but walking out onto the Halo was pretty great, especially looking up and seeing the ring extending into the sky.
Advancing up aways to come to the first battle was pretty memorable. I remember all those years ago when playing for the first time with a friend, having a riot fighting those first guys, especially when he stuck an Elite. “Check it out! The grenade stuck to him!”
It is pretty funny playing CE again and seeing how pathetic the Grunts are at throwing grenades. I’ve gotten used to Grunts launching grenades across firefight maps, so it is nice playing through CE and not having to worry about plasma grenades as much.

Played it again for the first time in around 5 years. It brings back some memories. I would have to admit I really like The Truth and Reconsiliation. It really is a good mission of the campaign with all the sneak attacks on the covenant. I tell you, there is nothing more fun than launching a suprise attack on a grunt when you’re invisible.

> Played it again for the first time in around 5 years. It brings back some memories. I would have to admit I really like The Truth and Reconsiliation. It really is a good mission of the campaign with all the sneak attacks on the covenant. I tell you, there is nothing more fun than launching a suprise attack on a grunt when you’re invisible.

I agree with that being invisible and suprising a grunt is fun. But not as fun as watching a hunter plumet to his death off the cliff earlyer in that mission. (I got a Hunter chasing me after he left the grave lift then he failed to kill me only to find his new home off the cliff)

Come on folks I know your there, I was expecting more discussion than this.