Halothon: Halo 2 Discussion

Welcome to the Halothon! Please read the specifics about this particular festivity before participating:
Finish the Game: Introducing Halothon the Halo campaign club

Current selection: Halo 2
Assigned: April 21th,2010
Recommended completion date: May 25th, 2011
Discussion opens: April 25th, 2011

Rules

1. Participation is optional and open to all forum members.
  2. Standard forum rules apply (brush up on forum guidelines Here).
  3. Participants are expected to keep discussion on-topic and relating to the games only unless specifyed.
  4. Please do not address your questions to 343 Industries but instead direct them to fellow Halothon participants.
  5. Even though it was sad please try not to make this thread about when Halo 2’s Multiplayer shut down instead talk about the campaign

*While the Halothon is not intended to be a place to ask 343 Industries specific questions, it will provide a structured, friendly environment for those interested in participating in spirited, game-related discussion with fellow fans. The beginning will be discussed first, but please be advised this thread may contain spoilers if you have yet to complete the game. Enter at your own risk!

Like the previous thread “I’d like to keep the focus on the first half for now. Please avoid spoilers for the time being if possible.”

In Halo 2 had a unusual opening. Where it begun at a trail for a Elite who failed to protect halo and introduced us to the prophets. Do you think Bungie did the right thing by not starting off with the Chief and with what happened to the covenant after Halo CE. Did it give you pity over the elite who couldn’t do anything to stand up to him self. And what did you originally think the plot was about?
Well I thought that it was a great idea to start off by show what had happened to the covenant after Halo CE as it gave you a covenant perspective of the consequences of Halo CE. But I was wondering why I was shown this cutscene to begin with as I thought the game was going to be about Chief and the battle’s on Earth.

I had heard rumors that I would play as Arbiter so I wasn’t that surprised. We were so hyped out about playing it didn’t matter to me but I enjoyed the Arbiter aspect right from the git-go. Besides, when Cairo started I had the Arbiter thing in my head while playing as MC so it added to the excitement to me. I knew what I would be doing for the next year or two.

I guess Bungie wanted to surprise everyone. In all the trailers and tv commercials, it is stated that the fight will be on earth. When the real deal hits, you find out that it’s not all about the Chief. It’s more about humanity, the Covenant and Halo. I think that was a great thing. This is the main reason why I love Halo 2. It has so much variety.

> I guess Bungie wanted to surprise everyone. In all the trailers and tv commercials, it is stated that the fight will be on earth. When the real deal hits, you find out that it’s not all about the Chief. It’s more about humanity, the Covenant and Halo. I think that was a great thing. This is the main reason why I love Halo 2. It has so much variety.

I agree with that Halo 2 did have alot of variety.
That’s why it’s one of my fav Halos(I’ll mention my fav when we discuss it)

I loved how Halo 2 had almost a free-roam aspect to it in some areas.

For example, did anybody else(and this has to be without Internet help, and pre-Halo 3 release) ever find the glitch on Delta Halo where you could pilot a Ghost or Scorpion to the top of the island, under the huge lake in the center where Regret was hiding, and everywhere in between after you broke through the boundaries?

And two things about Halo 2 I really enjoyed. It was pretty well-known that Halo 2 was simply a “bridge game”, setting up a trilogy, but the way that they branched out, and sort of fleshed out the Arbiter, Gravemind, and the Prophets while pushing the storyline forward was a major boost for Halo 3, and enjoyable to play through as well.

One more thing is that the combat itself evolved somewhat during Halo 2. Halo CE’s levels were very much wide open and expansive, even the corridor combat in The Silent Cartographer, Assault, Two Betrayals, and The Maw for example, felt really huge, to say the least. Halo 2 did an amazing job, I think, of expanding the bigger combat areas, and shrinking the smaller ones. Urban combat became a lot more chaotic and tight, especially on the higher difficulties, where you couldn’t just spam grenades and melee rush, you had to time your attacks, hope for some good cover, and grind your way through the action.

And on the open levels, by including the Banshee’s and other aspects, it gave the game a very much larger dimension to play through, it brought that “war” feeling out, battles became dynamic and with the AI of the Marines and the Covenant greatly improved, to me it felt a lot more team-based during those things, instead of the free-roaming that you performed during Halo CE most of the time.

Hmm, definitely. Halo 2 had some great vehicle levels and sections.

Halo 2 was the golden age of Halo and will always have a special place in my heart.

I’m going to throw this in because no one’s giving it criticism, level-wise I thought they went too big in too many places, maybe it’s just the level I’m on that’s throwing me off but I’m on quarantine and while the random mega-sentinels were cool at first because I had forgotten about them they felt very last minute, and that whole level seemed really random and slapped together. There are a lot of set pieces that don’t seem significant, rooms I mean. I might give it another go because the levels before weren’t bad some parts just felt uninspired and included to make the game longer.

I felt like they tried just a little too hard creating things that were new and cool but in the end were just new.

On the plus side the conversation between the arbiter and the spec ops leader on the first covenant mission might be some of the best dialog in any Halo game.

“This armor suits you Arbiter, but it cannot hide that mark”

“Nothing ever will”

“You are the arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me, yours does not”

“That makes two of us”

AND I CANT BELIEVE THEY THOUGHT GETTING RID OF THE ASSAULT RIFLE WAS A GOOD IDEA

tbh I was a little disappointed when playing Halo2 campaign the first time. I was loving the game up until you kill Regret then I thought the levels just started to become less fun and didn’t have that same feel that I got from every CE level and the only levels I actually felt like playing again for the fun of it were Cairo, Outskirts/Metropolis and Delta Halo/Regret. I would only play the other levels if I was doing a full playthrough of the campaign, I did eventually learn to like all the levels but I would’ve liked to have loved them all from the start.

I didn’t even have an xbox when halo 2 came out. A friend of my sister’s brought one over for a party, and when they were busy, I got to play halo 2 for the first time. I remember the excitement I had that I was finally playing the sequel to my favorite game of all time. Nothing compared to when I dropped out of the phantom and not only was I playing as an elite, but I was wielding the energy sword! I eventually bought my own xbox and i’ve probably put more time into halo 2 than I have put into any other halo game. It isn’t my favorite halo game, but my experience with the game was unique compared to my experience with the other games, and I’ll never forget that. Good game Bungie, good game…

^^^^^^ I agree. While Halo 2 may not be the best it has alot of memories that go with it for me. I just get so happy when thinking about the first time i played it. I got it the day it came out and I was in 8th grade. I ran home from school in excitement to play it haha. I’m actually playing through this campaign on heroic right now. I stopped part way through to fit ODST into the story since it takes place during the slipspace rupture of Halo 2.

> Halo 2 was the golden age of Halo and will always have a special place in my heart.

agreed.
halo 2 just had that certain special ‘feel’ to it that most of the other games didn’t.

> > Halo 2 was the golden age of Halo and will always have a special place in my heart.
>
> agreed.
> halo 2 just had that certain special ‘feel’ to it that most of the other games didn’t.

I didn’t like the feel at all… the engine felt worse than CE but textures were improved I guess and they added some ragdoll effect but overall I liked CE more

Halo 2 was definitely a sophomore slump. If the game’s development wasn’t so troubled I think it would have turned out much better, but overall it was a huge letdown. I remember being so stoked for the game when I saw the X02 announcement trailer and even the e3 2003 demo (which was still more epic than any level we saw in Halo 2 or Halo 3), but once Bungie changed engine’s it was all downhill from there.

Lets see everything that went haywire with this one…

-weapon firing ranges were nerfed significantly
-weapon ammo capacities were reduced around 60-75% of what they used to be in CE
-though dual wielding was cool, the dual-wieldable weapons were nerfed to the point of being near-useless when not dual-wielded (the nerfed shooting range of the weapons didn’t help this)
-first person weapon strafing animations were removed, so we no longer saw our gun moving and bouncing around as we walked
-the game was much more close-quarters, tightly confined, and linear than CE with the exception of maybe Delta Halo
-the campaign in general, ESPECIALLY the later half (I’m looking at you Quarantine) was very mediocre
-though Halo 2 fleshed out the universe more, there was far too much emphasis put on the covenant. Talk about the arbiter in a spin-off game or novel, don’t make me play as him. I didn’t want to play as Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2 and I didn’t want to play as the Arbiter in Halo 2. I think a lot of players felt cheated by being forced to play as him.
-the epic “omfg we have to save earth, the covenant have raped us” war-torn feel from the e3 2003 demo as well as pretty much every prerelease marketing video was never found in any level of the game
-the famous cliffhanger ending
-though there were many graphical upgrades from CE, the game’s final engine was nowhere near as impressive as the first engine Bungie was using. And in some areas, Halo 2 was actually a worse looking game than CE. The textures weren’t near as detailed (seriously, go zoom in on the textures in both games and you’ll see that CE’s retain more quality up close), and various particle effects were much weaker, mainly the sparks you see when you fire your weapons against various surfaces (tons of sparks and better looking in CE, not as many and worse looking in Halo 2)
-just watch the Halo 2 Collector’s Edition DVD to see everything else that got half–Yoinked!- and/or cut. Bungie even admits to it

Halo 2 was by far the low point of all of the main Halo titles. Luckily the multiplayer was awesome to make up for it’s epic disappointment of a campaign.

That is EXACTLY how I feel about Halo2’s engine compared to CE’s. I think they improved alot with Halo3’s engine though