Halo's Relevance

People need to realize that Halo 5 is not going to be as popular as some of its previous installments. This is not due to Halo’s 5 new mechanics and has to do more with the change of times. The first couple of games were blockbusters and stayed relevant because they were groundbreaking and they lacked competition.

The success of games like Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor and Battlefield hamper and put a dent on the relevance of Halo and its future installments. These franchises are different they rely on twitch gameplay and gimmicks over halo’s balanced and strategy based mechanics. These games also are in multi platforms and are pumped out at a higher rate making them trendy to casual players. Their ability to be able to pick up and perform well without dedicating a great amount of time, makes them ideal to the largest population of any game which is the casual crowd of players.

343 industry is in the right direction with the implementation of sprint and the Spartan abilities. They flawlessly were integrated without changing the essence of Halo’s balanced mechanics. Some of the weapons could use a little fine tuning but overall they are well balanced. The problem with Halo 5 is the lack of content and its campaign. Warzone is not perfect but it’s a great new addition to game modes. A better decision would had been to scrap breakout and replaced it with Big Team Battle maps (from the ground and up) with game modes like oddball and infection.

Hopefully with its future updates 343 could continue to expand the game with maps and game modes instead of new armors and helmets that are irrelevant.

I agree, but I believe there’s more to it, the time to kill in Halo is an issue for lots’ of players, I know a few that like the Halo universe but cannot be bothered with slower pace of multiplayer, I think Halo 5 is quite well paced, but other games are much faster, and like you pointed out OP with more games out now than ever before Halo will take a hit, Doom is back next year, another fast paced shooter, I also did not like the removal of blood from Halo 5, it’s always had mature content, why remove it ?

Finally somebody with a decent post. Sprint was in Reach, H4 and H5, what is the point, I love sprint, it’s not gamebreaking.

I agree with everything you said.

I’ve played all halo games, though only halo 2’s multiplayer a little online, and i agree with op. halo:ce was the first game with coop, halo 2 was one of the first games (if not the first) to be able to be played online on the xbox. halo 3 had massive hype coming off halo 2 AND had little to no competition (no cod 4 for first 2 months of its release). Also h4 had the worst multiplayer which doesn’t help and mcc was well, we all know that story. reach was fun though but didn’t feel like halo because of jetpacks ect. So yes halo 5 has done quite well considering

EDIT: dont you be dising my brakeout boy, i love that mode with friends

The TTK is what kills it for the younger players.

Go on youtube, there’s so many montages of quick sprays and multifeeds on other FPS it’s ridiculous, but in halo is so difficult to do any massive streak in so little time.

Even Destiny, it’s the same basic concept as halo, but it’s Supers which allow almost anyone to go on a huge and quick killing spree, keeps it’s PVP up above Halo’s.

Everything about this thread makes me cringe. If you don’t like halo go somewhere else

Halo is not cod of destiny

It takes more skill because 12 year olds and bro gamers can’t just pick it up and kill everything instantly then -Yoink- about the TTK and mechanics when its a legit futuristic shooter not their arcade jerk shooter of who sees who first.

The TTK is higher to create a skill gap of aiming and landing shots consistently

Cod is very much a spray and pray game

Destiny pvp is no way better than halo…I mean really? You know the same people that made halo made destiny and you think that’s better? Wow…

The TTK should not be lessened to compete with those other games. There is a place for each game.

Imagine what games would be like if they all tried ot be like the same game… Actually we know what would happen. Look at Halo 4. It tried ot be COD.

> 2533274832447301;5:
> The TTK is what kills it for the younger players.
>
> Go on youtube, there’s so many montages of quick sprays and multifeeds on other FPS it’s ridiculous, but in halo is so difficult to do any massive streak in so little time.
>
> Even Destiny, it’s the same basic concept as halo, but it’s Supers which allow almost anyone to go on a huge and quick killing spree, keeps it’s PVP up above Halo’s.

This is one reason why I thought out of the gate the ground pound needed more splash damage. I would have two guys lined up on a Stronghold point and ground pound and either only kill one or in some cases both of them would only receive damage. I’m like man I miss my Fist of Havoc.

Sprint is absolutely terrible. it ruins the pace of the game. people loved halo 3 because it was balanced and well paced. now people just fly around the map with no skill involved in it. the reason people liked halo is because it had a nice pace and skill and tactics led the way.

> 2533275010968401;6:
> Everything about this thread makes me cringe. If you don’t like halo go somewhere else
>
> Halo is not cod of destiny
>
> It takes more skill because 12 year olds and bro gamers can’t just pick it up and kill everything instantly then -Yoink- about the TTK and mechanics when its a legit futuristic shooter not their arcade jerk shooter of who sees who first.
>
> The TTK is higher to create a skill gap of aiming and landing shots consistently
>
> Cod is very much a spray and pray game
>
> Destiny pvp is no way better than halo…I mean really? You know the same people that made halo made destiny and you think that’s better? Wow…

See I don’t think it’s about not liking Halo. I think it is about adding dynamism to the game play. The game plays great. There really are not that many ooo and ahhh moments though. I happen to think in terms of shooting mechanics Halo is better than the other games. When it comes to pure Adrenaline rush though and feeling like you just F’ing lowered the boom on somebody, Destiny is unmatched IMO. To me there’s nothing wrong with wanting that type of Adrenaline rush in Halo. Might not get it, but there is nothing wrong in wanting it.

> 2535444514514634;9:
> Sprint is absolutely terrible. it ruins the pace of the game. people loved halo 3 because it was balanced and well paced. now people just fly around the map with no skill involved in it. the reason people liked halo is because it had a nice pace and skill and tactics led the way.

It still has skill and tactics that lead the way.

> 2554720502907190;10:
> > 2533275010968401;6:
> > Everything about this thread makes me cringe. If you don’t like halo go somewhere else
> >
> > Halo is not cod of destiny
> >
> > It takes more skill because 12 year olds and bro gamers can’t just pick it up and kill everything instantly then -Yoink- about the TTK and mechanics when its a legit futuristic shooter not their arcade jerk shooter of who sees who first.
> >
> > The TTK is higher to create a skill gap of aiming and landing shots consistently
> >
> > Cod is very much a spray and pray game
> >
> > Destiny pvp is no way better than halo…I mean really? You know the same people that made halo made destiny and you think that’s better? Wow…
>
>
> See I don’t think it’s about not liking Halo. I think it is about adding dynamism to the game play. The game plays great. There really are not that many ooo and ahhh moments though. I happen to think in terms of shooting mechanics Halo is better than the other games. When it comes to pure Adrenaline rush though and feeling like you just F’ing lowered the boom on somebody, Destiny is unmatched IMO. To me there’s nothing wrong with wanting that type of Adrenaline rush in Halo. Might not get it, but there is nothing wrong in wanting it.

Destiny has supers, unbalanced weapons, and classes

it is not indicative of old Bungie and their philosophies

the Crucible is a mess and has no real matchmaking system, no customs, no free run on maps, and everything is on a timer…and this is better than Halo?

please.

I seriously don’t understand how you can think this, when all evidence proves otherwise.
Halo 3 - 2007
Modern Warfare - 2007
World At War - 2008
Modern Warfare 2 - 2009

Do you know that Halo 3 remained ABOVE all these Call of Duty games in population, for three years?? Up until 2010?
And these were the most successful CoD games of all their games, period. And that’s when Gears of War was extremely popular, among many other things.
Halo 3 had arguably MORE competition than Halo 5 does, and it remained at the top.

Another piece of evidence that proves that Halo is still “relevant”, is the fact that when it came out, it stayed #1 for at least a week on most played. And even when it started to “fall”, it stayed #2 or #3.

We’re getting subpar Halo games. That’s all. Stop acting like we’re in different times or something. The market is still relatively the same, only bigger.

> 2533274793616507;13:
> I seriously don’t understand how you can think this, when all evidence proves otherwise.
> Halo 3 - 2007
> Modern Warfare - 2007
> World At War - 2008
> Modern Warfare 2 - 2009
>
> Do you know that Halo 3 remained ABOVE all these Call of Duty games in population, for three years?? Up until 2010?
> And these were the most successful CoD games of all their games, period. And that’s when Gears of War was extremely popular, among many other things.
> Halo 3 had arguably MORE competition than Halo 5 does, and it remained at the top.
>
> Another piece of evidence that proves that Halo is still “relevant”, is the fact that when it came out, it stayed #1 for at least a week on most played. And even when it started to “fall”, it stayed #2 or #3.
>
> We’re getting subpar Halo games. That’s all. Stop acting like we’re in different times or something. The market is still relatively the same, only bigger.

Completely agree. “Times have changed” is such a weak excuse.

> 2533274793616507;13:
> We’re getting subpar Halo games.

I went back and played previous halos - H2 and H3 are still fun (if a bit tedious without sprint and clamber); H4 was really not fun. H5 is a blast to play and is extremely enjoyable. Content lacking a bit - but far from a subpar halo game IMO.

> 2533274817840515;1:
> . Their ability to be able to pick up and perform well without dedicating a great amount of time, makes them ideal to the largest population of any game which is the casual crowd of players.

Been saying the above for a a while now. Its hard for Halo to find the balance between satisfying both the hardcore players and the casuals. But COD seems to have done so. They have a multitude of gametypes that cater to different demographics. How Halo can do that is another story.

Halo relevance is suffering because it’s trying to be like the cool kids. It no longer stands out to the outside audience. It’s losing hardcore fans because of these changes, which wouldn’t be a big deal if they were making up for it by bringing in new fans, but they aren’t. People without an Xbox used to look at Halo and see something that looked different and think maybe it was worth giving it a shot. That’s no longer the case because on the surface Halo looks like it’s doing the same thing as every other popular shooter on the market, so it’s not pushing consoles like it used to and it’s not particularly enticing to other gamer. Why buy Halo when it looks like Destiny or CoD when those games are way more popular?

It should say something that more people are willing to pay over $180 for CoD over three years than there are people that will pay $60 for Halo over three years. People say the market and consumer interest has changed and maybe that’s true, but those same people also seem to forget that Halo has also been changing to accomadate for that and sales and MP population have only gotten worse. The last time Halo was a force to be reckoned was with Halo 3 in it’s final days in 2010 and that was when it did its own thing in its third year. Suggesting Halo is less relevant for every reason under the sun except gameplay related reasons is frankly just foolish.

> 2533275010968401;6:
> Everything about this thread makes me cringe. If you don’t like halo go somewhere else
>
> Halo is not cod of destiny
>
> It takes more skill because 12 year olds and bro gamers can’t just pick it up and kill everything instantly then -Yoink- about the TTK and mechanics when its a legit futuristic shooter not their arcade jerk shooter of who sees who first.
>
> The TTK is higher to create a skill gap of aiming and landing shots consistently
>
> Cod is very much a spray and pray game
>
> Destiny pvp is no way better than halo…I mean really? You know the same people that made halo made destiny and you think that’s better? Wow…

Your post makes me cringe.

Longer TTK doesn’t equate to having a higher skill ceiling. That’s just what you like to tell yourself as you scoff at people playing CoD. It makes you feel better about yourself thinking you’re part of an elite club that someone who plays CoD could never be a part of, right?

CoD isn’t a ‘spray and pray’ game. You can spray and pray but it wont do you much good. If you’d played it, or were any good at it you’d know that. The difference is it requires a different skill set. It’s okay that you don’t have that skill set. If Halo’s slow pace is more your speed that’s fine too. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit slow.