Halo's Obsession with Competitiveness

Now before you go speculating at the possibility that I am infact, just a terrible player. Here is the link to my stats:
https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/ts%20Schnauzer/wargames/

The Halo community is infatuated with the idea of “competitiveness” and the stratification of the player base into the simple dichotomy of being competitive and non-competetive.

Hence, if you do not fit into the often arbitrary archetype of being a competitive player, you are automatically a casual, and being a casual also automatically demeans what your vision of Halo ought to be in the eyes of the “competitive community”.

It is often heard that “This game is catering to the casuals” as a derogatory comment when ever a new Halo is released.

So, what are some of the common traits of a “competitive player”?

he or she:

  • demands faster kill times (1up the existing kill time)
  • demands the dominance of a very selective selection of weapons to the exclusion of everything else
  • demands the exclusion of vehicles in “competitive playlists”
  • obsession with faster everything in general (1up everything?)
  • the NEED of synthetic benchmarks (association with their ego)

Here is where it has gone awry in my opinion, the very vocal “competitive community” in Halo has hijacked the overall communities’ voice. There is absolutely no need for 343i to limit their vision of what Halo ought to be like around the constraints put on by the die heart “competitive players”.

<mark>Following the Pareto’s Principle that 20% of the customers make 80% of the complaints, Halo will never be Combat Evolved if the developers can’t innovate and if they only cater to that 20% of the player base.</mark> Just take a look at how often -Exile- gets voted in the loading screen, the great majority of Halo players love that big mech boom boom boom, more explosions, TANK BEATS EVERYTHING aspect of this game. (Not saying that I also do, I -Yoinking!- hate -Exile-)

So, keep it up 343i.

P.S.

Here is the link to the online participation inequality study article.
<mark>1% of the forum population contribute to the vast majority of contents.</mark>

If you look at the actual veto statistics in Halo 4, they will not reflect the waypoint forum’s opinion very well. Hence the reason I put up the poll.

Awesome thread dude.

Im not a competative player, I just like to do well and have fun. I gave up on all that stats tracking stuff back with BF2142. To many exploits and hackers in to many games to make any legitimate effort worthless. Now I just play and try to have a good time. If a game gets far to frustrating, Im probably playing with people of a higher skill and I leave the post game lobby for a new one.

Its no shame to bow out when you are out-classed. But it takes a certain humility to conceed that you have been bested, and take it on the chin.

Hardcore gamer and non-competitive. Not mutually exclusive. :slight_smile:

> Hardcore gamer and non-competitive. Not mutually exclusive. :slight_smile:

Same here, but for most of the people around here, hardcore =/= competitive so long as you don’t follow the above list of criteria

> Hardcore gamer and non-competitive. Not mutually exclusive. :slight_smile:

I think this is an adequate description.

Ok I may have voted before reading the OP. I said yes because I like to win and will try my hardest in game to win. As for the points OP brought up, I’m not a competitive player by those standards.

Lol and this is why halo 4 is almost dead, because casuals run the game and ruined halo for the first time in 11 years

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to win, wanting to have a positive K/D in every game.
However, it’s so much more fun just to enjoy yourself instead of cursing whenever you get blasted by a Banshee or socked by a Scorpion.
I was competitve in Reach and in Anniversary but now, in H4, I tend to play more ‘casually’.
I’ve seen me going over half the game before actually firing my Storm Rifle or DMR - I’ll drive a Warthog, giving someone else the Gun and the kills, or I’ll scoot about in a Ghost splattering where I can or getting 5 point Distractions.
It’s great fun and you get a warm soft kitteny feeling inside from doing good.

> Just take a look at how often -Exile- gets voted in the loading screen, the great majority of Halo players love that big mech boom boom boom, more explosions, TANK BEATS EVERYTHING aspect of this game. (Not saying that I also do, I -Yoinking!- hate -Exile-)

Exile and Ragnarok are both voted so much because the prevalence of the DMR and those two maps are easier to get kills with the DMR than any other game. Not forgetting that Sniper/Beam/Binary rifles are easily obtainable. Oh, and vehicles are easily destroyable.

The Halo community is by default more competitive than most other shooters. You have to be able to adjust to different situations faster than in other games. All weapons have differences, and it’s not just a matter of getting used to a ‘class’ of weapon, but for each individual weapon itself.

Back in the day, when this all started ( I presume in halo 2 ), where winning was important, balance was needed to make sure that the other team didn’t just win because they got the better spawn (therefore symmetrical maps) etc. This also correlates to other portions of the game

> > Just take a look at how often -Exile- gets voted in the loading screen, the great majority of Halo players love that big mech boom boom boom, more explosions, TANK BEATS EVERYTHING aspect of this game. (Not saying that I also do, I -Yoinking!- hate -Exile-)
>
> Exile and Ragnarok are both voted so much because the prevalence of the DMR and those two maps are easier to get kills with the DMR than any other game. Not forgetting that Sniper/Beam/Binary rifles are easily obtainable. Oh, and vehicles are easily destroyable.

Are you trying to argue that it’s harder to get DMR kills on Vertex and Meltdown?

This game is still failing because it has virtually no ranking system. When is the last time you played a good close game and how often has that ever even happened? very little for me…The SR system is stupid and dumbed down. If not competitive how bout at least having a good intense game? (Im not talking about stripping the game down, Im talking about matching similar skills)

people are mad because it changes alot of what they were use to. now im not one that goes on shouting about it and i do like the game, but i think their are some things that can be improved on. i do believe that their should be ranked and social playlist as well as a MLG as well.

in ranked we can have the classic halo formula. no instant respawn, ordnance drops, loadouts, or joining in progress. everyone starts on the same terms. and in social we can keep everything the way it is you dont have to get rid of anything. i think that would make everyone happy but thats just my thoughts. overall i still like the game it just need some changes.

> > Just take a look at how often -Exile- gets voted in the loading screen, the great majority of Halo players love that big mech boom boom boom, more explosions, TANK BEATS EVERYTHING aspect of this game. (Not saying that I also do, I -Yoinking!- hate -Exile-)
>
> Exile and Ragnarok are both voted so much because the prevalence of the DMR and those two maps are easier to get kills with the DMR than any other game. Not forgetting that Sniper/Beam/Binary rifles are easily obtainable. Oh, and vehicles are easily destroyable.

Not my gauss hog. if i get the gauss hog i dont think ive ever lost exile as blue(rays)

> This game is still failing because it has virtually no ranking system. When is the last time you played a good close game and how often has that ever even happened? very little for me…The SR system is stupid and dumbed down. If not competitive how bout at least having a good intense game? (Im not talking about stripping the game down, Im talking about matching similar skills)

The True Skill system never worked imo.

When I got better in H3, my k/d almost never dipped below 2.0 in pretty much all game types.

> Now before you go speculating at the possibility that I am infact, just a terrible player. Here is the link to my stats:
> https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/ts%20Schnauzer/wargames/
>
>
> The Halo community is infatuated with the idea of “competitiveness” and the stratification of the player base into the simple dichotomy of being competitive and non-competetive.
>
> Hence, if you do not fit into the often arbitrary archetype of being a competitive player, you are automatically a casual, and being a casual also automatically demeans what your vision of Halo ought to be in the eyes of the "com
>
> It is often heard that “This game is catering to the casuals” as a derogatory comment when ever a new Halo is released.
>
> So, what are some of the common traits of a “competitive player”?
>
> he or she:
> - demands faster kill times (1up the existing kill time)
> - demands the dominance of a very selective selection of weapons to the exclusion of everything else
> - demands the exclusion of vehicles in “competitive playlists”
> - obsession with faster everything in general (1up everything?)
> - the NEED of synthetic benchmarks (association with their ego)
>
> Here is where it has gone awry in my opinion, the very vocal “competitive community” in Halo has hijacked the overall communities’ voice. There is absolutely no need for 343i to limit their vision of what Halo ought to be like around the constraints put on by the die heart “competitive players”.
>
> <mark>Following the Pareto’s Principle that 20% of the customers make 80% of the complaints, Halo will never be Combat Evolved if the developers can’t innovate and if they only cater to that 20% of the player base.</mark> Just take a look at how often -Exile- gets voted in the loading screen, the great majority of Halo players love that big mech boom boom boom, more explosions, TANK BEATS EVERYTHING aspect of this game. (Not saying that I also do, I -Yoinking!- hate -Exile-)
>
> So, keep it up 343i.

So if McDonald’s transformed into a cupcake shop, lost 98% of their customers, you’d trust the opinion of the 2% that love cake.

Your argument might make sense if the game’s population was not horridly small. Just because the 80% are not complaining does not mean thu enjoy it. They’ve already left.

> > > Just take a look at how often -Exile- gets voted in the loading screen, the great majority of Halo players love that big mech boom boom boom, more explosions, TANK BEATS EVERYTHING aspect of this game. (Not saying that I also do, I -Yoinking!- hate -Exile-)
> >
> > Exile and Ragnarok are both voted so much because the prevalence of the DMR and those two maps are easier to get kills with the DMR than any other game. Not forgetting that Sniper/Beam/Binary rifles are easily obtainable. Oh, and vehicles are easily destroyable.
>
> Are you trying to argue that it’s harder to get DMR kills on Vertex and Meltdown?

Not at all. But Exile and Ragnarok have the longest lines of sight, therefore the DMR is more prevalent on Exile and Ragnarok.

wtf, somebody doesnt know what competitive means… competitive doesnt mean faster kill times and faster everything… i am by all means a competitive player and have been playing competitively since h2 but i am not for faster kill times… any faster than they are now and it will be borderline call of duty kill times… the kill times in h4 are faster than they where in h3 which hands down was a much more competitive halo, even though the kill times were slower there were still moments where the gameplay was fast… h3 was competitive in the sense you had to be smart and pick your battles and control parts of the map and deny access to other parts rather than just running around fast and shooting fast and killing fast… i do not agree with your definition of competitive at all, although i consider myself a competitive player, if you go by the difinition the OP wrote then h3 wasnt competitive… even though we all know h3 was the pinnacle of halo… look how big the cometitive/mlg community was teams were being sponsered by big name companies like Dr Pepper, hot pockets, and stride gum just to name a few… then reach came out and everything disappeared…go to youtube and watch some mlg gameplays and watch how intense they were, thats when you know you have a competitive game, when things get intense like that… ill even save you the trouble, just click this…

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPHu0iXb2s

What is the point of this thread?

To tell 343i:

a) not to make adjustments based on the vocal minority?
b) not to make adjustments based on the self-proclaimed competitive Halo players?
c) not to make adjustments?

Because I disagree with all of that.

Imagine Starcraft, a game renowned for being extremely difficult to master and highly competitive, suddenly gained the interest of hundreds-of-thousands of casual gamers. In order to cater to the majority, Blizzard would have to dumb down the game and make it super easy for everyone to master. In the end, the learning curve would be practically flat, the competitive community would be long gone, and the game’s original flare would be non-existent. What would Blizzard have accomplished? They would’ve increased their revenue, increased their short-term fan base, but abandoned everything the game initially stood for along with their long-term fan base. In order for a company to be successful, they need to find the balance between value offered and revenue gained. The moment a company solely focuses on sales, the game turns into Call of Duty–widely successful but a regurgitated money grub. That isn’t a fate I want Halo to have.

The community is responsible for letting 343i know what can be done to improve the game. We’re the ones playing it, so you can rest assured that the suggestions that rise to the top and garner a lot of community support are noteworthy. That said, not everything on these forums and on twitter should be taken into consideration, because we often witness the product of lost games and lack of anger management.

I think, if 343i filters through the nonsense and takes note of the common suggestions and huge petitions, they can get a good idea as to how they can improve the game.