Halo's legacy can be what kills it

So many people now in the vocal community push for Halo going back to what was relevant in both gameplay and story to 2004 - 2007. These were without a doubt the glory days of Halo but I don’t think it’s for the reasons people think and it doesn’t mean repeating those will make it popular again. Every day on Waypoint you’ll see a thread with a few hundred replies of heated discussion of why sprint ruined Halo or why this or that did but I’ll get right to the point, what I believe will kill Halo is throwing it back to a decade old experience, that was revolutionary, that was so unique, that was never done before in 2004 and 2007 will only please a minority. People can argue about this or that but what Halo isn’t is cool now. As I’ve said before Halo offered the most immersive experience there was to have anywhere with the elements of the HUD actually making sense, popularizing regenerative health that made sense and made players feel cool - a decade ago. Look at Battlefield. Does Battlefield 1942 affect the mechanics of Battlefield 1 in any way? Ideas, yes, but not actual mechanics. I think this is a good comparison since Halo is only a year older than Battlefield. And why doesn’t BF OG affect the newest entries’ mechanics? Because things have changed so much since then; people at DICE would laugh if someone said “No, the Kar98 functioned like this in Battlefield 1942, it has to be the same in Battlefield 1!” But here we see many people wanting to walk back almost the same amount of time on many things and it will only accomplish the one thing that most vocal Waypoint users want: to continue to win match after match in their comfort zone using the same mechanics. Halo is not just the Golden Triangle. Halo is not OP pistols. Halo isn’t the Battle Rifle. Halo isn’t no sprint. People throw Overwatch and Doom out time and time again as the examples of a no sprint arena shooter and saying it’s why Halo should go back to the basic Halo 2 formula but you’ll seldom hear of these nasty little things, like Doom’s custom classes, or the level of immersion Doom gives with little things, or Overwatch’s custom class-esc characters. These both offer a level of variety that Halo does not outside of Warzone, which is one reason why Warzone is more populated.

Now the question is “Leave Arena alone! Why don’t you stay in Warzone? Get gud nub!” And my answer to that is they aren’t going to be two different games, core mechanics of one mode will effect the other. Halo isn’t cool in gameplay and there’s a lot that needs an overhall to once again bring the ideas to their original state, not the mechanics. Immersion and just flat out coolness that is believable is what will bring Halo to what it was. Believability is the first step to immersion and being able to identify in other elements such as the story’s characters. But on the slip side that doesn’t mean I want all of it to change. There are little things like in the Crysis games or Battlefield, like what if 343 made the perspective and the reaction to movement different on the viser or not having the weapons sound like hitting tin cans. As close as many of you were to Halo 2 you guys didn’t make it popular by yourselves. Sales numbers are sales numbers, the contribution to Halo 2 that many of you gave are no different than the guy who didn’t play after Halo 2. The casual fan is as much the backbone as you or me. And trying to get Halo 3 rereleased with a reskin and a new number isn’t going to bring Halo back to what it was, it only keeps guys who know how to use the classic weapons on top and in their comfort zone while winning and that isn’t good for numbers because that’s what people here want, not what everyone wants.

I do this only as an act of tough love for the franchise and story I love deeply

~ Let the hate begin.

Yes while the new ideas were revolutionary at the time, what made Halo great before was that they kept a good balance by adding new things while still keeping it close enough to the old that it still felt like Halo. When 343 makes drastic uncalled for changes to the game that makes it feel not like Halo, that’s a problem, that’s why the population didn’t last and that’s why there has been a slight gain overtime in the MCC population. For Halo 6 they need go back to the old style but they need to make it different enough that’s its still new and can compete in the market, so they do need to make it a faster pace than the classics but it should be a bit slower than the status quo because Halo was always known for being a slower unique shooter that required gun skill.

Another thing that made Halo, Halo was the special maps that felt unique in their old ways, playlists that catered to both competitive and casual, and a good story with Master Chief for the majority of it. The games were also complete at launch (this is why we had to wait 3 or 4 years between games). They had a long -Yoink- story, full matchmaking playlists, and a abundance of old and new interactive maps that weren’t entire made by the community. When they released patches and DLC it was new stuff that made the game even better, not old stuff that should have been included on day 1. And of course, split screen along with the beautiful music of Martin O’Donnell

I like that 343 are coming out with new modes like warzone, breakout, etc. but they just shouldn’t be tied to a REQ system where people can get an advantage by throwing money at the screen, and they should be polished and function when they are released (warzone) and should have their own maps made by the developers (breakout). And the new forge is beautiful. Halo 6 will be 343’s last chance at making a good functional halo game that appeals to halo fans or else the community will tear apart.

> 2533274914220337;2:
> Yes while the new ideas were revolutionary at the time, what made Halo great before was that they kept a good balance by adding new things while still keeping it close enough to the old that it still felt like Halo. When 343 makes drastic uncalled for changes to the game that makes it feel not like Halo, that’s a problem, that’s why the population didn’t last and that’s why there has been a slight gain overtime in the MCC population. For Halo 6 they need go back to the old style but they need to make it different enough that’s its still new and can compete in the market, so they do need to make it a faster pace than the classics but it should be a bit slower than the status quo because Halo was always known for being a slower unique shooter that required gun skill.
>
> Another thing that made Halo, Halo was the special maps that felt unique in their old ways, playlists that catered to both competitive and casual, and a good story with Master Chief for the majority of it. The games were also complete at launch (this is why we had to wait 3 or 4 years between games). They had a long -Yoink- story, full matchmaking playlists, and a abundance of old and new interactive maps that weren’t entire made by the community. When they released patches and DLC it was new stuff that made the game even better, not old stuff that should have been included on day 1. And of course, split screen along with the beautiful music of Martin O’Donnell
>
> I like that 343 are coming out with new modes like warzone, breakout, etc. but they just shouldn’t be tied to a REQ system where people can get an advantage by throwing money at the screen, and they should be polished and function when they are released (warzone) and should have their own maps made by the developers (breakout). And the new forge is beautiful. Halo 6 will be 343’s last chance at making a good functional halo game that appeals to halo fans or else the community will tear apart.

While I do agree entirely with your first sentence and the beginning of the next, what many people perceive as Halo isn’t what makes or breaks it. Something Halo lacks extremely now however I didn’t address is gunplay, something of which Halo 5’s is extremely outdated and oftentimes clunky. And Marty goes without saying as the undying never old classic

> While I do agree entirely with your first sentence and the beginning of the next, what many people perceive as Halo isn’t what makes or breaks it. Something Halo lacks extremely now however I didn’t address is gunplay, something of which Halo 5’s is extremely outdated and oftentimes clunky. And Marty goes without saying as the undying never old classic

I agree with all of these, good debate sir <---------^This is how you debate without causing a -Yoink- storm

> 2533274914220337;4:
> > While I do agree entirely with your first sentence and the beginning of the next, what many people perceive as Halo isn’t what makes or breaks it. Something Halo lacks extremely now however I didn’t address is gunplay, something of which Halo 5’s is extremely outdated and oftentimes clunky. And Marty goes without saying as the undying never old classic
>
>
> I agree with all of these, good debate sir <---------^This is how you debate without causing a -Yoink- storm

Exactly, the first thing I thought when I read the first few lines was “this guys isn’t who I expected replying to this.”