Halo's Hunt (SPOILERS)

So all the advertising was based on the Chief vs Locke thing, with only mild references to the Guardians and stuff.
And the launch trailer said “Experience the beginning of the greatest Hunt”

We all assumed it was Chief and Locke.
We got played. The Chief and Locke was only a diversion.
Who expected Cortana back? Who expected her to be a villain?

The hunt we were about to begin was never supposed to be Chief and Locke. 343 knew the entire time it was going to be the hunt for Cortana. After all, she’s the villain, and has so much power. She needs to be hunted down and terminated. She wants to enslave humanity and every living thing in the galaxy and make AI the holders of the mantle.

Well played 343, Well played.

(Writer still needs to be replaced. We want Staten!)

Gotta agree with you there. They did a great job of keeping Cortana under wraps, even up until hours before the game was released (Steve Downs (Master Chief) mentioned working with Jen Taylor (Cortana) before, as if he didn’t for this game).

I would hardly call it a “hunt”. Cortana announced her presence to everyone in the second mission, basically taxied Chief and crew to her, and the Locke posse never even get close to stopping or harming her.

> 2535427499121034;3:
> I would hardly call it a “hunt”. Cortana announced her presence to everyone in the second mission, basically taxied Chief and crew to her, and the Locke posse never even get close to stopping or harming her.

It was the beginning. Halo 6 is likely to be based on finding her.

> 2535427499121034;3:
> I would hardly call it a “hunt”. Cortana announced her presence to everyone in the second mission, basically taxied Chief and crew to her, and the Locke posse never even get close to stopping or harming her.

every great hunt starts with a short, or simple, beginning. This is just the beginning of the rising part of the story, it will reach the peak in Halo 6

> 2533274953693601;1:
> Who expected Cortana back? Who expected her to be a villain?

For the first question? Tons of people. For the second? Not many, but probably for good reason since it was a poor attempt at storytelling.

> 2533274953693601;4:
> > 2535427499121034;3:
> >
>
>
> It was the beginning. Halo 6 is likely to be based on finding her.

> 2533274816465245;5:
> > 2535427499121034;3:
> >
>
>
> every great hunt starts with a short, or simple, beginning. This is just the beginning of the rising part of the story, it will reach the peak in Halo 6

So you’re basically saying that Halo 5 isn’t a very good or complete story then. And don’t give me the “it’s a middle story” excuse. Any story, regardless of of position in a series, needs a beginning, middle, and fulfilling and climactic end (ex. The Two Towers). The “hunt” for Cortana, which OP claims this game is based around, was incredibly lack luster no matter how you slice it. Saying “oh, well the story will get going in the next game” just points out how bad it was in this game.

> 2535427499121034;7:
> > 2533274953693601;4:
> > > 2535427499121034;3:
> > >
> >
> >
> > It was the beginning. Halo 6 is likely to be based on finding her.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274816465245;5:
> > > 2535427499121034;3:
> > >
> >
> >
> > every great hunt starts with a short, or simple, beginning. This is just the beginning of the rising part of the story, it will reach the peak in Halo 6
>
>
> So you’re basically saying that Halo 5 isn’t a very good or complete story then. And don’t give me the “it’s a middle story” excuse. Any story, regardless of of position in a series, needs a beginning, middle, and fulfilling and climactic end (ex. The Two Towers). The “hunt” for Cortana, which OP claims this game is based around, was incredibly lack luster no matter how you slice it. Saying “oh, well the story will get going in the next game” just points out how bad it was in this game.

Funny how a movie like Empire Strikes Back is the middle movie of a trilogy and yet still ranks higher more than the movie that followed it, Return of the Jedi. It had everything you said, a beginning (Hoth), middle (training on Dagobah/rest of the cast to Cloud City) and ending (fight between Luke and Vader with Luke escaping to fight another day). Halo 5 has a beginning, but everything else just seems to happen. Halo 5 also has a problem in that people assume there will be a trilogy when 343 seems intent on making more than Halo 6. Why should Halo 5 suffer to POTENTIALLY make a future game better? Not disagreeing with ya at all.

> 2535427499121034;3:

I believe the ‘hunt’ has only just begun, no one hunts something with out plausible cause, so the story must be set, now we know that the mantle of responsibility is powerful, cortana plans to use it, it may or not be a splintered version of cortana’s original personality and that we need to stop her, the bluff of the trailer is being used to set up the start of this new story line.
Unfortunately that kind of makes this campaign a prologue, if that’s the way you you want to look at it.

Agreed. And I’m (for the most part) on board.
On the one hand, the fact that they managed to keep Cortana’s role in the story a secret so well was awesome, and let them pull an epic bait and switch. As a result the story we got isn’t what we expected, but one I enjoyed a lot.
On the other hand, the storytelling itself leaves something to be desired. I do honestly like the Halo 5 campaign and plot, but I agree that I’d prefer the lead writer not return since the premise had a LOT of frustratingly unrealised potential.