Halo's Gameplay Style

Halo CE first came out in 2001 and Halo 5 came out in 2015 and it is now 2018.
Halo’s community enjoyed classical gameplay for 9 years until Halo Reach came out in 2010 with the introduction of Sprint and other Armour Abilities. Sprint has ever since maintained a presence in Halo up to and including Halo 5 which itself brought Spartan Abilities for a new gameplay formula.
Ever since Reach the community has been split between dedicated fans of the Classic system and the newer fans of the Advanced movement system.

With the recent shutdown of Halo Online I have noticed a renewed wave of Classic gameplay supporters and it feels like the community ‘civil-war’ has been renewed. I personally do not see 343 reverting back to classical Halo gameplay over Halo 5’s new movement system.

I would like to know what everyone’s thoughts and opinions are on this subject.

I would love for them to implement the OPTION to play classic multiplayer or new multiplayer. No sprint/abilites contra sprint/abilites. In Halo 6.

In the classic part I would choose the Halo 3 style, with equipments, like bubble shield/power drain, etc.

In the new, whatever they come up with for Halo 6.

This would actually give the community what they all want. It would reduce like 50% of complaints here on the forum.

And just watching how popular the H3 throwback playlist was, I say a lot of new players would want to test out old settings.

And to answer you: No, I don’t think they will remove the new system. I think they will add more stuff to it.

It’s literally impossible to completely removed advanced mobility, and 343 isn’t going to remove it anytime soon either. It wouldn’t make much sense gameplay wise, and would make no sense story wise either. I mean it’s like telling a super solider, “Hey, we want you to stop running and just walk, but you still have to fight hordes of fast running enemies, good luck!” it really wouldn’t make any sense to remove it. To be honest I don’t see WHY it’s such a big deal since whats so bad about a super solider, who’s job is to turn the tide in a war, sprinting? It’s cannon in Lore, and makes common sense too. Halo can change in art style, graphics, and even engines, but I don’t see what’s so bad about a simple moving mechanic that can tear a healthy community into a a full on civil war. Honestly it’s kinda shameful that the Halo community would even fight over such a childish issue.

> 2535410570006717;3:
> 1) It’s literally impossible to completely removed advanced mobility It wouldn’t make much sense gameplay wise, and would make no sense story wise either.
>
> 2) I mean it’s like telling a super solider, “Hey, we want you to stop running and just walk, but you still have to fight hordes of fast running enemies, good luck!”
>
> 3) It’s cannon in Lore
>
> 4) Honestly it’s kinda shameful that the Halo community would even fight over such a childish issue.

1) It’s not impossible and they can write the story so it does make sense.

2) They can adjust the enemies movement speed.

3) So. Spartans can do lots of things in the lore which aren’t in the game.

4) I’m actually ashamed that there are people with that kind of opinion within the Halo community. Spartan abilities are a major part of the game and affect many things within it. To say it’s childish and we shouldn’t be debating about them is mind boggling.

I agree players should be allowed to choose what style they choose to play with. Either have a classic only playlist or a more advanced one. I think the sprint should remain within Halo and it should be a default ability; others don’t and that’s their choice, but the series is evolving and therefore changes must be made with each new installment.

> 2533274848842493;2:
> I would love for them to implement the OPTION to play classic multiplayer or new multiplayer. No sprint/abilites contra sprint/abilites. In Halo 6.
>
> In the classic part I would choose the Halo 3 style, with equipments, like bubble shield/power drain, etc.
>
> In the new, whatever they come up with for Halo 6.
>
> This would actually give the community what they all want. It would reduce like 50% of complaints here on the forum.
>
> And just watching how popular the H3 throwback playlist was, I say a lot of new players would want to test out old settings.
>
> And to answer you: No, I don’t think they will remove the new system. I think they will add more stuff to it.

While it is an interesting idea you would essentially be asking 343 to make 2 very different gameplay styles in 1 game. This would also mean that the maps and sandbox would have to be different for both. I personally think this is asking too much from 343. Its not impossible mind you, just very unlikely to happen as they would have to carter to 2 different communities within the same game which may slow down the amount of content each gain. Unless 343 makes it a smaller separate game mode I don’t see this happening at all.
As for your answer I agree and this is what I predict 343 will do.
Here is another question then: How do you think the community will feel if Halo 6 indeed has advanced movement but has a good campaign and multiplayer and receives post-launch content?

> 2535410570006717;3:
> It’s literally impossible to completely removed advanced mobility, and 343 isn’t going to remove it anytime soon either. It wouldn’t make much sense gameplay wise, and would make no sense story wise either. I mean it’s like telling a super solider, “Hey, we want you to stop running and just walk, but you still have to fight hordes of fast running enemies, good luck!” it really wouldn’t make any sense to remove it. To be honest I don’t see WHY it’s such a big deal since whats so bad about a super solider, who’s job is to turn the tide in a war, sprinting? It’s cannon in Lore, and makes common sense too. Halo can change in art style, graphics, and even engines, but I don’t see what’s so bad about a simple moving mechanic that can tear a healthy community into a a full on civil war. Honestly it’s kinda shameful that the Halo community would even fight over such a childish issue.

I agree that 343 will not remove the advanced mobility as it would be bad business practice and would be a slap in face to fans of the recent Halo games.
As for the lore argument, while I don’t believe that gameplay should be lore bound, I do appreciate how Halo 5 really make one feel like a Super Soldier. That said I am confident 343 could find a lore reason why MJOLNIR reverted to a classical movement system; some of the Reach helmets flavour text of Halo 5 give some hints as to how they could rationalise it.
I too feel saddened by what the community has become over the years. I first discovered Halo back in 2010 when a friend of mine bought me Halo 3 as a gift and I instantly fell in love with the series. My second game was Reach and loved that game as well, and since then I bought all the Halo games in order to have a complete experience. Back then I wasn’t a member of HaloWaypoint and didn’t have any friends who played the game so I wasn’t aware of all the drama until 1 year after I bought Halo 4. I was very surprised to see how so many people hated 343’s changes and how divided the community became. I am not someone who believes that additions to a game’s sandbox no longer make it part of the series, to me a Halo game will always be a Halo game. Halo is an old franchise, 18 years old, to not expect change especially when a new developer takes over is a little naïve. However I do sympathise with the fans of the older games, but I just wish that they could enjoy the new games too.

> 2727626560040591;4:
> > 2535410570006717;3:
> > 1) It’s literally impossible to completely removed advanced mobility It wouldn’t make much sense gameplay wise, and would make no sense story wise either.
> >
> > 2) I mean it’s like telling a super solider, “Hey, we want you to stop running and just walk, but you still have to fight hordes of fast running enemies, good luck!”
> >
> > 3) It’s cannon in Lore
> >
> > 4) Honestly it’s kinda shameful that the Halo community would even fight over such a childish issue.
>
> 1) It’s not impossible and they can write the story so it does make sense.
>
> 2) They can adjust the enemies movement speed.
>
> 3) So. Spartans can do lots of things in the lore which aren’t in the game.
>
> 4) I’m actually ashamed that there are people with that kind of opinion within the Halo community. Spartan abilities are a major part of the game and affect many things within it. To say it’s childish and we shouldn’t be debating about them is mind boggling.

For his 4th point, I believe its more the fact that he is disappointed and saddened that the once vibrant community of Halo is shattered and shadow of its former self that remain embroiled in a ‘civil-war’. I find it unfortunate that people attack and insult one another because of their preference. It is even more unfortunate as I do not believe that 343 will go back to an older movement system and I wish classical Halo fans could enjoy the new games. Alas this is not to be.

> 2533274863544170;5:
> I agree players should be allowed to choose what style they choose to play with. Either have a classic only playlist or a more advanced one. I think the sprint should remain within Halo and it should be a default ability; others don’t and that’s their choice, but the series is evolving and therefore changes must be made with each new installment.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread, however I am a little confused. Are you asking that both systems be in the same game or that only one should be implemented? If it is indeed both should they have equal presence within the game or should one be dominant?
Also I am curious to know your opinion of the Spartan abilities. You are advocating to retain Sprint but what of the other movement options?

> 2533275013370605;7:
> For his 4th point, I believe its more the fact that he is disappointed and saddened that the once vibrant community of Halo is shattered and shadow of its former self that remain embroiled in a ‘civil-war’. I find it unfortunate that people attack and insult one another because of their preference.

I agree that a ‘civil war’ is never good, but it’s not a childish issue as he put it. Abilities have been in the last three Halos and they have had a huge impact on not only the game, but also with hundreds of thousands of fans whether good or bad so it’s not some small childish issue that people are debating/fighting about.

Honestly, I just wish the community and art-style were back in order, other than that, Halo 6 should have a better script than the previous 2 games, so I’m not afraid of that.

A compromise wont work. The two styles are incompatible because every element of the sandbox has to be tuned and balanced differently to function with each style of gameplay. Thus supporting both would be impossible given the resources at their disposal. Also, one playlist or even an entire section of matchmaking dedicated to one style is not enough to justify even half the asking price when every other aspect of the game caters to the other playstyle.

I partially agree with OP, in that I can’t see 343 abandoning the ‘advanced mobility’ trend of gameplay in Halo 5’s sequel, but for the future of the franchise, I hope that a spin-off game with classic gameplay would at least be attempted post Halo 6 [Title Yet-To-Be Revealed]. If that game released with a Campaign unrelated to post-war events and an improved Firefight mode, I think it’d do brilliantly.

> 2727626560040591;8:
> > 2533275013370605;7:
> > For his 4th point, I believe its more the fact that he is disappointed and saddened that the once vibrant community of Halo is shattered and shadow of its former self that remain embroiled in a ‘civil-war’. I find it unfortunate that people attack and insult one another because of their preference.
>
> I agree that a ‘civil war’ is never good, but it’s not a childish issue as he put it. Abilities have been in the last three Halos and they have had a huge impact on not only the game, but also with hundreds of thousands of fans whether good or bad so it’s not some small childish issue that people are debating/fighting about.

I believe that by ‘childish’ he was referring more about the way people reacted rather than the issue itself. It also may be that from his point of view a change in movement system from one game to another is not a big enough issue to merit such a reaction within the community. He may simply be disappointed that the community is continuously divided instead of all enjoying the game and having a good time over a change that he doesn’t feel as strongly about as some others. If so, then I can understand an respect his opinion.
That said I am curious about your opinion also.

> 2533274835411133;9:
> Honestly, I just wish the community and art-style were back in order, other than that, Halo 6 should have a better script than the previous 2 games, so I’m not afraid of that.

If only Bungie had remained with Halo and not moved on to Destiny I do believe the art style would not have changed. Alas this has happened and now it is up to 343 to push the series forwards. Keeping the old style would have been preferable, yet I believe the switch was inevitable as when a franchise’s developers change, so too does the series.
I am also holding out hope that Halo 6’s script will do the series justice.

> 2533274900668879;10:
> A compromise wont work. The two styles are incompatible because every element of the sandbox has to be tuned and balanced differently to function with each style of gameplay. Thus supporting both would be impossible given the resources at their disposal. Also, one playlist or even an entire section of matchmaking dedicated to one style is not enough to justify even half the asking price when every other aspect of the game caters to the other playstyle.
>
> I partially agree with OP, in that I can’t see 343 abandoning the ‘advanced mobility’ trend of gameplay in Halo 5’s sequel, but for the future of the franchise, I hope that a spin-off game with classic gameplay would at least be attempted post Halo 6 [Title Yet-To-Be Revealed]. If that game released with a Campaign unrelated to post-war events and an improved Firefight mode, I think it’d do brilliantly.

A future classic Halo game is not impossible. Such a thing, I believe, will depend on Halo 6’s success as well as how popular some of the fan-made Halo games become, such as Halo Installation 01.
However I do feel that the most time passes, the less likely we are to see a classical Halo game make a return as the gaming world keeps on evolving and more and more elements are expected within the games to come.

> 2533275013370605;12:
> > 2533274900668879;10:
> > --------------------------------------------
>
> A future classic Halo game is not impossible. Such a thing, I believe, will depend on Halo 6’s success as well as how popular some of the fan-made Halo games become, such as Halo Installation 01.
> However I do feel that the most time passes, the less likely we are to see a classical Halo game make a return as the gaming world keeps on evolving and more and more elements are expected within the games to come.

I think the problem is that many players conflate ‘innovation’ with player abilities, rather than everything else in the game.
There’s plenty of innovation that could be incorporated to a game with the classic style as its foundation, and that would bring the map design and weapon balance back up to standard as well since neither would need to contort to the restrictions mobility places on them.
I’m hoping the resurgence of public interest in Halo (the likes of which we haven’t seen since Halo 4’s announcement), particularly classic Halo, will influence the future of the franchise, because I hate what the series has become in recent years.

> 2533275013370605;11:
> That said I am curious about your opinion also.

Well I hope that’s what he meant. For my opinion, I would like a classic Halo or maybe even a hybrid of sorts with it mainly being classic, but with some modern elements mixed in. My guess though is that 343 will stick with what they’re doing now and the only way we’ll see classic Halo is if they do a spinoff game.

For the implementing both opinion, I don’t really think that will work. This video addresses that, and I agree with his opinions.

1) It’s literally impossible to completely removed advanced mobility It wouldn’t make much sense gameplay wise, and would make no sense story wise either.

2) I mean it’s like telling a super solider, “Hey, we want you to stop running and just walk, but you still have to fight hordes of fast running enemies, good luck!”

3) It’s cannon in Lore

4) Honestly it’s kinda shameful that the Halo community would even fight over such a childish issue.
1) It’s not impossible and they can write the story so it does make sense.

2) They can adjust the enemies movement speed.

3) So. Spartans can do lots of things in the lore which aren’t in the game.

4) I’m actually ashamed that there are people with that kind of opinion within the Halo community. Spartan abilities are a major part of the game and affect many things within it. To say it’s childish and we shouldn’t be debating about them is mind boggling.
For his 4th point, I believe its more the fact that he is disappointed and saddened that the once vibrant community of Halo is shattered and shadow of its former self that remain embroiled in a ‘civil-war’. I find it unfortunate that people attack and insult one another because of their preference. It is even more unfortunate as I do not believe that 343 will go back to an older movement system and I wish classical Halo fans could enjoy the new games. Alas this is not to be.

Thats basically what I was trying to convey, I once said that the Halo community is the most welcoming, and safe place to voice your opinion, but the moment someone mentions, “sprinting” people are at each throats and fighting over a simple issue.

I think all mutliplayer matches in custom games should have an option to play with standard (current) mobility or “classic” gameplay (no sprinting, clamber etc). And it should be as simple as ticking on/off when setting up a game.

And I’m all for the Mario Kart or Smash Bros method of multiplayer. Every game should have a mix of new maps for multiplayer, but also a handful of classic maps that are always carried over (with maybe a few graphic or gameplay tweaks as needed) and that become staples of the community.

> 2533275013370605;12:
>

In the future, you can quote multiple people at once or edit your posts to prevent multiposting. That’s spam and is frowned upon - just FYI.

Also, y’all can use this thread:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/how-do-you-guys-feel-about-halo-s-future/a2ded593-ab06-49fd-b279-7ee0deaa4395/posts