Halos future

So I like many on the internet have heard the frustration of gamers with 343s move from the traditional slow paced multiplayer in halo 4 now maybe this question is too late but here I go. So whenever I hear a complaint relating too in game balancing or whatever I ask then how would you fix it? So I now ask the community, you are in the shoes of lead MP developer how do you keep MP original while still innovating to entice newer gamers? Please put your ideas below

That’s a tough question. And halo, bring such an old franchise, has fallen to the point were there are players who want it to modernize and be fast paced and like most of the fps games, and played who are stuck in the past. Whatever people do with halo games now, there will be infighting in halo nation. So its near impossible to know exactly what to do.

> 2533274857398125;2:
> That’s a tough question. And halo, bring such an old franchise, has fallen to the point were there are players who want it to modernize and be fast paced and like most of the fps games, and played who are stuck in the past. Whatever people do with halo games now, there will be infighting in halo nation. So its near impossible to know exactly what to do.

Oh no the Halo Nation is approaching its civil war!

Wow sorry I didn’t realise posts had happened, the joys of coming from B net where there’s so much stuff that it take two hours for one person to find your post

  • Rid Halo of armor abilities (including sprint), loadouts, weapon drops, and anything else that correlates with imbalanced starts.

  • Ensure balanced starts across all playlists (besides fun things like Action Sack where you spawn with random weapons).

  • Increase base movement speed.

  • Focus on high quality, competitive maps, both symmetrical and asymmetrical, small and large. Stop including piles of forge maps/remakes and produce more originals.

  • Introduce new “power-ups” in neutral locations on the map. In the past, these were invis/overshield/rockets/sniper/etc. Examples - Jetpack in center of map with enough fuel for 5 seconds of use. Decoy in center of map with 2 charges. Movement speed boost in center of map that increases base movement speed to 120% for 8 seconds.

  • Bring back the ‘health’ system of CE. Basically, you have a visible health bar underneath your shield that kicks in once your shield pops. Headshots still insta-kill you, but everything else (besides explosives/splatters, etc.) does a fixed amount of damage that you can hope to survive. Put health packs at tactical locations on the maps.

  • Implement a thruster pack by default for every player in every playlist. When activated, thurster pack would increase your movement speed to 105% for 0.5 seconds in the direction of your thumbstick. Has an 8 second cooldown. Best suited for strafing purposes in BR/DMR fights. Not small enough of a change to not take advantage of but not large enough to completely change gameflow.

  • Create a space-oriented map. Best suited for BTB, as there would be indoor areas with gravity, outdoor areas with low gravity, and enough of a skybox for playable space vehicles.

  • Complete overhaul/upgrade of the Forge system. Terrain modification, accurate placement, toggle editing on/off for file share purposes, weather modification, skybox modification (or at least variety), etc.

  • Re-introduce both campaign and multiplayer threatre with rewind, fast-forward, slow-motion, a 20-game short-term memory, etc.

  • Completely get rid of bloom for all weapons/crosshairs.

  • Create a nighttime map and allow use of nightvision with scoped weapons. Best used for specific playlists like team snipers, zombies, etc.

  • Re-introduce the 1-50 (or 70, 100, whatever) ranking system and divide matchmaking into ranked/social.

  • Create a social playlist dedicated solely to forge creations, so that they don’t litter the other playlists when implemented.

  • Bring back invasion, but keep the traditional playlists intact (Slayer, CTF, Assault, Oddball, KoTH).

  • Host forge contests, picture contests, and video contests every now and then to keep community involved.

  • Re-introduce multiplayer firefight. Expand upon it so that it feels more challenging and make it infinite. Rewards for reaching certain wave numbers (example - piece of armor for reaching wave 20 of legendary 4-player firefight).

  • Re-introduce elites into matchmaking with certain playlists (invasion, CTF, elite slayer, etc.)

  • Introduce brutes into matchmaking with certain playlists (brute slayer, brutes vs elites, demolition derby [imagine brutes driving mongooses that are all on the verge of exploding], etc.)

  • Re-introduce the clan system. Ranked clan matchmaking would be a separate system from normal ranked matchmaking. So you could be ranked 46 in FFA, but still have a clan ranking of 1 if your clan hasn’t won any matches.

  • Upscale BTB from 8v8 to 10v10.

  • Relax on the intricacy of the spartan armor. It’s become too detailed to the point of causing visual clutter. Halo 2 and 3’s spartans had complex enough armor that they were interesting to the eyes, but simple enough that it didn’t hurt to stare at them, whereas some of the armor sets in Reach and 4 were so detailed that it was annoying on the eyes.

  • Heavily scale back the amount of medals in the game. I created a thread on this topic, so I’ll just link that - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/medals-medals-everywhere/8f2a8ccc-0aa1-407d-9805-6373b84372c6/posts

  • Cut back the amount of things the announcer announces. Same reasoning behind the medal point I made above. Excessive announcements makes his voice annoying. I would also remove the effects they placed on his voice in Reach and 4, and return him to the natural sounding voice of H2/H3.

  • Introduce scarabs/pelicans on one or two BTB maps. Would obviously need to be toned down in strength and made much less mobile, but imagine playing Scarab Assault, where you have to bring the bomb into a heavily defended scarab to blow it up from the inside.

  • Introduce more in-depth post-game stats/graphs where you can see what weapon you were killed most by, what weapon you favored, which area of the map you died most on, etc.

I’m sure I’ll think of more ideas as time passes, in which case I’ll probably edit them in later.

> 2533275031607977;3:
> > 2533274857398125;2:
> > That’s a tough question. And halo, bring such an old franchise, has fallen to the point were there are players who want it to modernize and be fast paced and like most of the fps games, and played who are stuck in the past. Whatever people do with halo games now, there will be infighting in halo nation. So its near impossible to know exactly what to do.
>
>
> Oh no the Halo Nation is approaching its civil war!

The war has been going on since Reach…

> 2533274936927904;1:
> So I like many on the internet have heard the frustration of gamers with 343s move from the traditional slow paced multiplayer in halo 4 now maybe this question is too late but here I go. So whenever I hear a complaint relating too in game balancing or whatever I ask then how would you fix it? So I now ask the community, you are in the shoes of lead MP developer how do you keep MP original while still innovating to entice newer gamers? Please put your ideas below

I would keep the basic mechanics no sprint and duel wielding is back I would add new race’s to multiplayer like brutes .Most of my focus would be multiplayer maps the real stars in the multiplayer.Multiplayer maps make the multiplayer experience not adding new mechanics.Innovate multiplayer player maps is how you keep the multiplayer fresh a new.I would ship the game with 20 plus maps also.

ok thank you for your insight I’m quite stunned people actually found and took time to respond to my question, so thankyou

Because Halo’s core mechanics are so distinct, it’s very hard to innovate on a sequel where the game still retains the Halo feel but offers something new at the same time. Personally, I would like H5 to be stripped back like H2/H3 but with better graphics. Any innovation should be done outside of the core mechanics such as maps,vehicles and weapons.

Can’t wait to see what people can create in Halo 5 forge.

> 2533274808666777;5:
> - Rid Halo of armor abilities (including sprint), loadouts, weapon drops, and anything else that correlates with imbalanced starts.
>
> - Focus on high quality, competitive maps, both symmetrical and asymmetrical, small and large. Stop including piles of forge maps/remakes and produce more originals.
>
> - Implement a thruster pack by default for every player in every playlist. When activated, thurster pack would increase your movement speed to 105% for 0.5 seconds in the direction of your thumbstick. Has an 8 second cooldown. Best suited for strafing purposes in BR/DMR fights. Not small enough of a change to not take advantage of but not large enough to completely change gameflow.
>
> - Complete overhaul/upgrade of the Forge system. Terrain modification, accurate placement, toggle editing on/off for file share purposes, weather modification, skybox modification (or at least variety), etc.
>
> - Create a social playlist dedicated solely to forge creations, so that they don’t litter the other playlists when implemented.
>
> - Relax on the intricacy of the spartan armor. It’s become too detailed to the point of causing visual clutter. Halo 2 and 3’s spartans had complex enough armor that they were interesting to the eyes, but simple enough that it didn’t hurt to stare at them, whereas some of the armor sets in Reach and 4 were so detailed that it was annoying on the eyes.
>
> - Cut back the amount of things the announcer announces. Same reasoning behind the medal point I made above. Excessive announcements makes his voice annoying. I would also remove the effects they placed on his voice in Reach and 4, and return him to the natural sounding voice of H2/H3.

  1. I agree with loadouts, sprinting and weapon drops but I think loadouts should be included in custom games at least. If anything have them pre-set like Reach.

  2. Stop right there mister, Forge has played a big part in showing that 343i/Bugnie looks at the community. Removing Forge maps would ruin those connections built over the years.

  3. Not every playlist, have some with it, some without.

  4. While it’d be nice, it doesn’t need to replace what we have now.

  5. No, it goes to the same reason as not having forge maps in ranked playlists. Every playlist should have forge maps to play on.

  6. So long as some of the actual good ones return from Halo 4 and Reach, War Master, Gungnir, etc. I am fine with this.

  7. I don’t mind the amount of things he says in Halo 4, after all it is a simulation, a game, but I do agree the voice modifications added should be removed.

> 2533274883849234;11:
> 1. I agree with loadouts, sprinting and weapon drops but I think loadouts should be included in custom games at least. If anything have them pre-set like Reach.
>
> 2. Stop right there mister, Forge has played a big part in showing that 343i/Bugnie looks at the community. Removing Forge maps would ruin those connections built over the years.
>
> 3. Not every playlist, have some with it, some without.
>
> 4. While it’d be nice, it doesn’t need to replace what we have now.
>
> 5. No, it goes to the same reason as not having forge maps in ranked playlists. Every playlist should have forge maps to play on.
>
> 6. So long as some of the actual good ones return from Halo 4 and Reach, War Master, Gungnir, etc. I am fine with this.
>
> 7. I don’t mind the amount of things he says in Halo 4, after all it is a simulation, a game, but I do agree the voice modifications added should be removed.

  1. Loadouts inherently ruin the concept of ‘fair starts’, which is what Halo was built around in the earlier titles. I could see it being a forge option, so if you wanted to create a fun custom playlist you could include loadouts, but having it in matchmaking would just be a huge no-no.

  2. I don’t want forge creations removed. I want them moved to their own playlist. It would also be acceptable if 343 held a forge contest spanning across 3 different forge maps, and the winner of each has their creation implemented into all of the playlists permanently. But yeah, throwing forge maps into the playlists constantly really watered down the map variation, especially considering how quick the ‘earthy/metallic’ theme of forge world got boring to the eyes.

  3. It would need to be in every playlist, as it would be a new basic spartan ability like jump, crouch, etc. Perhaps for MLG/ranked playlists it could be disabled, and I whole heartedly agree that we should be able to disable it in customs/forge, but in order to work, it would need to be a broad, permanent implementation.

  4. I think most people would favor a more in-depth, customizable forge experience. This doesn’t mean that it would be so intricate that it’s hard to even understand. It just means that if you choose to use such advanced features, they would be there for you.

  5. You haven’t provided an argument as to why forge maps should be in every playlist. My argument against it is that it gets dull on the eyes, there’s little variation, and usually, company-created maps (originals like Pit, Lockout, Guardian, etc.) are of higher quality if done right. I don’t want 343 to get lazy with their own map creations and then just toss in forge maps every now and then rather than dedicate some serious time and effort into new and refreshing originals.

  6. Agreed.

  7. The sheer number of things the announcer is starting to announce is getting bleh. It would be best reserved for certain medals (like multi-kills, sprees, etc), game titles/events (Capture The Flag!, Game Over, etc.), and timers (5 Kills To Win, 1 Minute Remaining). All the other stuff just gets annoying, and I’d rather have silence so that I can hear footsteps, gunshots, etc.

> 2533274927436773;9:
> Because Halo’s core mechanics are so distinct, it’s very hard to innovate on a sequel where the game still retains the Halo feel but offers something new at the same time. Personally, I would like H5 to be stripped back like H2/H3 but with better graphics. Any innovation should be done outside of the core mechanics such as maps,vehicles and weapons.

QFT. Halo 2:A’s MM is going to be very interesting to play. The graphics are so updated, with just enough new spice thrown in with added things such as silenced SMG and Hornet, that it is almost going to feel like a new game.

I think 343 would be surprised at how just updating the graphics and throwing in some new toys, without dramatically changing the core mechanics, can satisfy customers.

The way I see it they should make it so it would fit people in every area as mush as possibly by making different modes instead of putting everything into one.

For example

Arena Mode (Competitive Multiplayer Experiences 1 - 16 Players)
War Zone Mode (Massive Multiplayer Experiences 1 - 60 Players)
Firefight/Flood Mode (Use your mind to survive the unstoppable force 1 - 16 Players)
Halo Sports (Race, Grifball, Basketball and other fun activates 1 - 16 Players)
Custom Games (Player 1 - 60 Players)

Having different Modes for the game and then adding different Playlists with in those Modes will keep the things what people love but adding something new without ruining all the experiences for everyone.

> 2533274804280158;14:
> The way I see it they should make it so it would fit people in every area as mush as possibly by making different modes instead of putting everything into one.
>
> For example
>
> Arena Mode (Competitive Multiplayer Experiences 1 - 16 Players)
> War Zone Mode (Massive Multiplayer Experiences 1 - 60 Players)
> Firefight/Flood Mode (Use your mind to survive the unstoppable force 1 - 16 Players)
> Halo Sports (Race, Grifball, Basketball and other fun activates 1 - 16 Players)
> Custom Games (Player 1 - 60 Players)
>
> Having different Modes for the game and then adding different Playlists with in those Modes will keep the things what people love but adding something new without ruining all the experiences for everyone.

I agree, but I think multiplayer should branch into two main categories, Ranked and Social, and then branch into smaller categories from there. Ranked could have objective, slayer, BTB, and FFA. Social could have objective, BTB, slayer, FFA, firefight, and everything else.