Halo's first true "M" rating?

after keeping up with all the HunTtheTruth stuff, and all the marketing, I honestly think this will be the first true “M” rating for Halo. Halo 1-4, to me really could have been “T”. I’m pretty excited about this! Maybe I’m wrong though

Halo CE was the only game that was truly ‘M’, and I hope that Halo 5 lives up to that.

Probably rated E since we don’t get to see that love Ai body anymore. Unless there are a ton of Sarge like people out there, then the Mantis is rated M and the Cyclops is rated R.

I hope Halo 5 does bring some more mature themes to Halo fans.

Deja vu moment of the day… I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this same post for every upcoming Halo release all the way back to H2 lol.

I’ve been with Halo since pretty much the beginning, and up until Halo 4 in 2012, I was under the impression that they were all rated T (a friend corrected me and blew my friggin’ mind). Hopefully Halo 5 will be the first title to really earn the M rating.

Over here in the UK, we have a different ratings board. The ranks are based on the age you have to be to buy them, 3, 7, 12, 16 and 18. How a three-year-old walks up to a till and buys a game is beyond me, but every main Halo title so far has been rated 16. This might be the first 18.

> 2533274803493024;4:
> I hope Halo 5 does bring some more mature themes to Halo fans.
>
> Deja vu moment of the day… I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this same post for every upcoming Halo release all the way back to H2 lol.

I hear you man

I’ve never really understood the obsession some people have over ratings. Age ratings are nothing more than a number or a letter, dictated by some check list of features. Unless you’re a concerned parent, or a child with concerned parents, I don’t see why ratings should matter to you.

> 2533274792346151;1:
> after keeping up with all the HunTtheTruth stuff, and all the marketing, I honestly think this will be the first true “M” rating for Halo. Halo 1-4, to me really could have been “T”. I’m pretty excited about this! Maybe I’m wrong though

What about the butt from the Halo 2 PC port =P

Hell yeah - gore and -Yoink-!!!

Because when you shoot a rocket at someone they don’t just faint and fall to the ground. There should be pieces of MJOLNIR and red paste flying at the screen.

would love for it to be… but it won’t happen.

> 2533274825830455;8:
> I’ve never really understood the obsession some people have over ratings. Age ratings are nothing more than a number or a letter, dictated by some check list of features. Unless you’re a concerned parent, or a child with concerned parents, I don’t see why ratings should matter to you.

I remember when they first started putting parental advisory stickers on CDs. Groups like the Ramones, Twisted Sister, Frank Zappa, and others were very upset about it and were worried about whether it violated their freedom of speech of peoples’ freedom of choice.

Then they realized that kids only wanted CDs with parental advisory stickers on them because they thought it was cool and probably defiant towards their parents and society’s expectation of what younger people should listen to.

So the system backfired, and then musicians were going out of their way to get parental advisory stickers on their CDs because CDs that didn’t have them weren’t cool and didn’t sell as well.

And Halo 2 had a mature rating because in the code is an image of one of the developers mooning the camera. So, nudity of all things.

Some of you may already know this, but the ESRB publishes details of why they rated a game a certain way. This is often posted up to two months before a game releases, so sometimes you can learn something new about the game from these reports. Just looked and H5 is not up there yet. Here is why they rated Halo MCC “M”:

“This is a compilation of four Halo games in which players assume the role of Master Chief, a genetically-enhanced soldier from the 26th century. From a first-person perspective, players use pistols, machine guns, grenade launchers, and futuristic weapons to kill humans and fantastical enemies in frenetic combat. Battles are highlighted by screams of pain, realistic gunfire, and large blood-splatter effects. Players can also use stealth moves (i.e., stabbing attacks or throat slashes) to kill characters; one scene depicts human characters crying out as their bodies disintegrate, exposing muscle and bone. Some aliens break part into pieces when hit, and soldiers’ corpses are sometimes depicted amid large pools/streaks of blood.”

Source: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33607&Title=Halo%3A%20The%20Master%20Chief%20Collection

> 2533274825830455;8:
> I’ve never really understood the obsession some people have over ratings. Age ratings are nothing more than a number or a letter, dictated by some check list of features. Unless you’re a concerned parent, or a child with concerned parents, I don’t see why ratings should matter to you.

I’m not obsessed with ratings, I just feel like I’ve never really played a “M” rated Halo game that’s it. I know the ERSB have guide lines, and I understand them. My son and I have been playing Halo together since he was 6, (he is 12 now) and there are some games I’m still iffy on letting him play, but I’m not an over protective parent either.

I’ve never believed violent video games make violent people. Violent people make violent people. Ganges Khan never played video games, Nero never played MK, and Attila the Hun never stole a car and ran over people in GTA. And back then everything was more personal, face to face mostly. This thread was just wondering if there will be a really dark undertone than the rest. Which I believe to be true

> 2533274792346151;14:
> > 2533274825830455;8:
> > I’ve never really understood the obsession some people have over ratings. Age ratings are nothing more than a number or a letter, dictated by some check list of features. Unless you’re a concerned parent, or a child with concerned parents, I don’t see why ratings should matter to you.
>
>
> I’m not obsessed with ratings, I just feel like I’ve never really played a “M” rated Halo game that’s it. I know the ERSB have guide lines, and I understand them. My son and I have been playing Halo together since he was 6, (he is 12 now) and there are some games I’m still iffy on letting him play, but I’m not an over protective parent either.
>
> I’ve never believed violent video games make violent people. Violent people make violent people. Ganges Khan never played video games, Nero never played MK, and Attila the Hun never stole a car and ran over people in GTA. And back then everything was more personal, face to face mostly. This thread was just wondering if there will be a really dark undertone than the rest. Which I believe to be true

Sorry, it’s just that there’s a group of people who want more violence in games, just for the sake of more violence. I strongly disagree with that attitude, and I’ve just noticed that there’s a strong overlap between that group, and the group of people who like to speculate over ratings.

Sure, if the developers want a dark tone to tell a particular story, and they feel that more violence could make it more impactful, then that’s fine. That’s the right way to use violence. That’s not to say I condemn killing for fun in games. Finding creative ways to kill NPCs in games can be fun, and it certainly doesn’t make me a psychopath as long as I understand the difference between that, and real killing. I would argue that even that still serves a meaningful purpose. None of this I have problems with.

What I have a problem with is violence for shock value. If limbs are flying off just because there’s somebody out there who knows it’ll upset soccer moms, it serves no meaningful purpose. It’s just violence for sake of violence.

If I see someone wishing a game to be M rated, I can’t help but think they’re a teen who just thinks violence is cool. Why else would they be wishing specifically for a high rating? Surely, if they just wanted a darker game, they’d be better off talking about how they wish the game to be darker.

On a side note, I also have a pet-peeve with “darkness” in games. People equate it with violence, but violence is just one tool to get a certain emotional tone, and the emotions the game creates are what decide whether a game is dark or not, and there’s a whole bunch of ways to create a dark, emotional tone that don’t include excessive violence. So when people talk about violent and dark as synonymous, they’re ignoring 90% of the tools that can give emotional impact to the game, and only concentrating on the most shallow one.

> 2533274792346151;1:
> after keeping up with all the HunTtheTruth stuff, and all the marketing, I honestly think this will be the first true “M” rating for Halo. Halo 1-4, to me really could have been “T”. I’m pretty excited about this! Maybe I’m wrong though

There was no blood in the beta

> 2535444539078749;16:
> > 2533274792346151;1:
> > after keeping up with all the HunTtheTruth stuff, and all the marketing, I honestly think this will be the first true “M” rating for Halo. Halo 1-4, to me really could have been “T”. I’m pretty excited about this! Maybe I’m wrong though
>
>
> There was no blood in the beta

That is true, from what I remember

> 2533274825830455;15:
> Sorry, it’s just that there’s a group of people who want more violence in games, just for the sake of more violence. I strongly disagree with that attitude, and I’ve just noticed that there’s a strong overlap between that group, and the group of people who like to speculate over ratings.
>
> Sure, if the developers want a dark tone to tell a particular story, and they feel that more violence could make it more impactful, then that’s fine. That’s the right way to use violence. That’s not to say I condemn killing for fun in games. Finding creative ways to kill NPCs in games can be fun, and it certainly doesn’t make me a psychopath as long as I understand the difference between that, and real killing. I would argue that even that still serves a meaningful purpose. None of this I have problems with.
>
> What I have a problem with is violence for shock value. If limbs are flying off just because there’s somebody out there who knows it’ll upset soccer moms, it serves no meaningful purpose. It’s just violence for sake of violence.
>
> If I see someone wishing a game to be M rated, I can’t help but think they’re a teen who just thinks violence is cool. Why else would they be wishing specifically for a high rating? Surely, if they just wanted a darker game, they’d be better off talking about how they wish the game to be darker.
>
> On a side note, I also have a pet-peeve with “darkness” in games. People equate it with violence, but violence is just one tool to get a certain emotional tone, and the emotions the game creates are what decide whether a game is dark or not, and there’s a whole bunch of ways to create a dark, emotional tone that don’t include excessive violence. So when people talk about violent and dark as synonymous, they’re ignoring 90% of the tools that can give emotional impact to the game, and only concentrating on the most shallow one.

^I agree 100%.

If the flood does indeed return I’d love if they just went all out to make it truly horrific and dark! Don’t really think that they should add limbs flying off and stuff in multiplayer purely for the reason that none of the other games have it and GEN2 Mjolnir is stronger

Dude, all the games were totally justified for the “M” rating

I mean, grunts, under conditions, spewed guts of confetti and had children screaming. Dang, thats brutal