Halo

Hey 343,

It is time for the next step in the Halo story. The lack of an announcement or either a movie or TV series similar to BSG is tantamount to a betrayal of the fans who keep the francise alive, buying the games, creating content and living day to day with the hope that they will see that long sought after headline “343 give go ahead for Halo movie”

It seems like a dance of words when Frank O’Conner says he wants to do it since time drfits by with no sign. Doesn’t someone have the power and the fire to just say

“Do It”

You have a rich universe unlike anything in the gaming world that has gone before, people who believe in the success of Halo, so why are you waiting?

Patience, the future will unfold with great fortune soon.

First off, the lack of an announcement is far less than a betrayal to fans, as for we’ve just had 1 game/year for the last couple years, and we’d rather not turn into CoD.

Second off, Halo is game based. Announcing another movie/TV series would be a betrayal.

I think you do not understand what has to go into something like a video game movie. It isn’t up to 343, Microsoft owns the “Halo” IP. Therefore THEY have to give the go ahead. In order to do that, they have to sign off the rights. Then a production studio has to chose whether or not to pick up the movie and fund it. Then they need to find a production crew, cast, location, etc…

Even then we might not even see the movie for another year or 2.

On top of that they’d have to find the PERFECT director for the movie… we wouldn’t want someone like Paul W.S. Anderson in charge now would we? We already saw what has happened to video game movies, they all sucked with the slight exception of the first Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider and Doom. Notice a connection there? those three didn’t suck as bad because there wasn’t much of a story to the games in the first place for them to screw up. With Halo, oh god there’s soooo much they could screw up.

Visually it can obviously be done, it’s about budget, casting, and story. Most people think the story is there but it’s not. They have to fit it in somewhere and try not to step on any toes, plus it has to be good.

A good game can’t always be a good move, and vice versa. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, amazing movie, it would probably be the worst video game ever. Bejeweled would make for a very boring movie.

> Visually it can obviously be done, it’s about budget, casting, and story. Most people think the story is there but it’s not. They have to fit it in somewhere and try not to step on any toes, plus it has to be good.
>
> A good game can’t always be a good move, and vice versa. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, amazing movie, it would probably be the worst video game ever. Bejeweled would make for a very boring movie.

Quiet, they might be listening.

No, I understand perfectly what goes into the creation of a good movie (we don’t want ‘Doom’) but it ‘seems’ the hold up is more to do with 343 concerns about merchandising than the actual movie logistics. Let’s say they decide tomorrow to make it. That’s at least 16 months possibly more for movie #1. Given the amount of content available we are looking at either three movies or a corresponding set of TV seasons. In regards to a director, they already royally blew off Neil Blomkamp after spending a purported 12 million in pre production, or at least, Universal spent it. So the only way to bypass all the legal bitterness is to agree to a movie of the novelizations. Now Dream works wants to do the movie at the last report, Stuart Beattie wrote the spec script back in 2007 (not sure that’s a good thing after ROC) and even Spielberg was reported to have been interested. Logically then there is a high potential for an excellently made movie or TV series (I’d prefer the TV if it was Battlestar quality). Therefore, the question is, what the heck is the hold up. I know how slow Microsoft can be (I worked there) and often times the hold up is more political than for any logistical reason. Of course, if someone knows differently what the hold up is I’d love to know.

Finally, I do understand the concerns, We don’t want to see Doom, Rise of Cobra, Independence day, The day the Earth Stood still (the new one) or any other cheesy and hackneyed production out to use special effects over story. To be honest, that’s why I’d love to see Ron Moore at the helm of a TV series and if a movie is in the works, Spielberg, Blomkamp, Jackson.

I only hope we get the announcement from 343 soon.

> First off, the lack of an announcement is far less than a betrayal to fans, as for we’ve just had 1 game/year for the last couple years, and we’d rather not turn into CoD.
>
> Second off, Halo is game based. Announcing another movie/TV series would be a betrayal to many people

Requoted for emphasis, because you clearly didn’t read it.

Think of it this way, if they do make a Halo movie it would be a whole lot better if they took their time on it. No one Halo fan wants to see a badly done or rushed movie that stains the Halo franchise.

> Think of it this way, if they do make a Halo movie it would be a whole lot better if they took their time on it. No one Halo fan wants to see a badly done or rushed movie that stains the Halo franchise.

Exactly.

No I saw it.

So your reason for not wanting a movie is simply ‘it’s game based’ and therefore any movie would fail.

Media is changing, and games more and more are more interactive movies, are a better, more dynamic media than movies. While no movie based on a game has been really excellent they are becoming successful. On top of that there is enough substance behind the Halo universe to tell a truly compelling story with the right treatment, especially if it is based on the excellent books rather than the game content. The book ‘Fall of reach’ would be excellent. I’m thinking more along the lines of ‘Saving private Ryan’ realism. (similar to the ‘delivering hope’ short)

As for waiting, how long do you want to wait, a year, two, ten? My name isn’t ‘agedslowpoke’ for any hidden reason, I’m aged, I’m slow, and I’m an old poke, I’d like to be alive to see the completion of any movie or series.

No, we don’t want Halo to turn into CoD (which is an excellent game) but I don’t understand how that in any way relates to the idea of moving Halo to a movie or TV.

To add, I guess I’ll just have to make do until the year the announcement finally comes. Until then I’ll have to make do with any sci-fi movie that comes along, ideally, one that has marines flighting aliens trying to invade Earth and hopefully destroying Los Angeles and a bunch of surfers in the process…