Halo Xbox one: John's origins?

I could see some seriously high reception from a game that loosely retold the novel “The Fall of Reach”.
We’d play as John growing up, his selection, his training, his earlier missions. At first it’d play a little more human, (think Far cry, using your hands to pull yourself up over walls and climb trees) and eventually you’d get mjolnir, and it’d play like real Halo. It’d make the build up much better, you’d appreciate playing as a spartan again.

Imagine first person, six year old John, doing push-ups, running assault courses, and then his earlier stealth missions, without his armour.

I always thought the fall of reach would work better as a film, but after the likes of The Last of Us, and Far Cry, I can see it working well, and being one of the best games ever made. Halo’d be something it hasn’t been for over ten years: new.

John is armor-less a lot of times in the book. Many people don’t want to see his face (I know we’ve seen around his eyes already, but still).

Really risky because it would imply showing his face, I think the best way to go would be to show his face at a really young age, most kids look the same then, and start his training with a few scripted scenes and then detailed cutscenes. The last scene of John being a kid should be something memorable like a quote from one of his superiors like “this is never going to be easy” and then skip ti when he first gets his suit on and starts his first mission. Input several flashbacks for John to go through as you play through the campaign, make them dark and depressing. One good one was the live-action trailer for Halo 4 when John woke-up from his augmentation seeing many of his own dead. Powerful things like that incorporated and making your current player (Master Chief) more emotional/angry after them, giving him an adrenaline rush of sorts. If they do it like that I can’t see it not turning out good in some way, although it would be un-Halo to some.

Pretty much gave an outline to the story already, lol.

Fall of Reach wouldn’t really lend itself well to FPS game play if you are wanting to be true to the book. There really aren’t a whole lot of battles or shooting in the early books. I mean, the obstacle course… commandeering the pelican using rocks.

I dunno… you could start with infiltrating the insurrectionist asteroid, but it almost defeats the purpose of hte origin game.

Not to mention the actual battle of Reach would be tricky to navigate. It would be some tight maneuvering indeed to tell Chief’s story in the battle while respecting both the novel and Halo Reach.

I think just let the novel stand on its own. Maybe have a cinematic flash back if you really want to put it in game.

If they took a Half-Life approach to presentation then they wouldn’t have to show his face. Although that would make it WAY less epic when we actually get the suit, so it’d be really tough to do.

> If they took a Half-Life approach to presentation then they wouldn’t have to show his face. Although that would make it WAY less epic when we actually get the suit, so it’d be really tough to do.

Handle it like Wilson from Home Improvement.

John’s origins have been told twice, and glossed over in Halo 4’s opening and the “Scanned” trailer. I don’t think a full game is necessary, and another retelling of the story is just redundant. I’d rather see new stories.

> John’s origins have been told twice, and glossed over in Halo 4’s opening and the “Scanned” trailer. I don’t think a full game is necessary, and another retelling of the story is just redundant. I’d rather see new stories.

I completely agree. I remember Telltale mentioning they wanted to make a Halo game. I think they should be the ones to aspire a deeper, emotional somewhat-cinematic experience of a Halo game, based after the events of marines or people we can relate with rather than Spartans. But as far as Chief goes, leave his actions squarely in the present of the here and now. I want to know what he will being doing next, not what he has already done.

I have always thought about a game called Halo: Origins, that took place during the book Halo: The Fall Of Reach. Honestly, I would like to see it come in game, or movie format, either one would work for me, I would think a game would portray it better, since they would have to do some pretty neat “tricks” in order to not show John’s face in the movie, at least the game can do first person perspective cut scenes and game play up to the point where he get Mark Four.

But honestly, I would love to see them make a game like this, I used to even draw concept art and create mission maps and info+plot etc. There would be a lot of jump points in the game though, major time gaps, to make the game entertaining and not like a 10 hour movie. Also since there aren’t many big battles in the story, there are a few key battles in the story people don’t think could be missions, such as the battle in the prologue, and there’s one point in the fall of reach when I think Halsey says that the Spartans had been doing missions for the past 2 weeks, to tie up loose end, and they succeeded with flying colors. This battles with the rebels in this 2 weeks could also be missions as well.

Seems a bit redundant retelling the same story

Well, to avoid showing his face (which isn’t THAT much of a big deal anymore) the cutscenes would all be in first person up until be gets Mrk IV, and then we’d see a proper cutscene, monks chanting and all.

It’d be a deep story driven, long campaign. It wouldn’t be an exact retelling of the story, most of the book is dialogue. It’d concentrate on the actual combat aspects more, his earlier missions. It’d be all hiding in shadows, climbing and generally being athletic.
When you get your armour, you’ve got the classic Halo gameplay, high jumping, hard hitting, you’d be a true Spartan again.
It’s literally the only thing I can see revitalising this series

perhaps in a flashback mission(s) unlocked by a terminal?

…and if anyone goes into theatre mode to see his face, well, he’s just wearing his armour.

I’d rather we move on in the story. No need to keep going back, especially to show something thats been shown several times in various ways already, Chief’s Spartan training.

No, the story has already been told many times through Halo media.

I actually preferred it when the games just focused on the issue at hand, and if you wanted to dig deeper into the lore, you could.

I don’t like how all this backstory is suddenly being forced on the player.

As everyone else has already stated, this story has been told. I want to find out where this new story is headed. We have at least two more games focused on this new story 343i started, lets finish this one before starting a new one (even though Johns backstory isn’t new).