Halo without melee lunge feels wrong

Halo Infinite is wonderful, I adore this flight and have had a lot of fun with it so far!
I have my loves and I have my gripes, no game is perfect! But the one thing I cannot deal with is the way this melee works.
It feels so remarkably unHalo that it keeps bringing me out of that classic Halo feel in a bad way.

I know they’re bots and I shouldn’t care as much but it has been frustrating to just slowly get outpaced by a one-shot bot who is just outside of reach because they’re walking backwards and then I get my head pop’ed off by their pistol.
Should I have just reloaded and gotten the kill? Probably but in halo I just have it down in muscle memory that when that lil blue boi has no shields, I am out of ammo and they are within close range… You go full barbarian rage and keep forwards meleeing the everloving fun out of them!!

I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on the melee!!
To me it needs to be reworked and looked at but I wanna see some counterarguments from people who enjoy this kind of melee!

I actually feel like the lunge range for melee is insane! But that’s just me. It depends on your settings really, I’m more so referring to your FOV. It may feel different if you’ve changed your settings to something new. Just my thoughts.

Mellee has a lunge to it if anything mellee hits do not register at times and has gotten me killed. It is a known issue before the flight though so im sure they are working on a fix.

Melee lunge range feels great at wide FOV. I don’t play on low FOV so I can’t comment on that but at max FOV the melee lunge range is perfect.

I disagree with you. The formula in Halo needs some minor adjustments. Earn your kill! Lunging forward in a ridiculous fashion should have never been implemented in Halo. The only exception should be when you have an energy sword.

> 2535452145368480;5:
> I disagree with you. The formula in Halo needs some minor adjustments. Earn your kill! Lunging forward in a ridiculous fashion should have never been implemented in Halo. The only exception should be when you have an energy sword.

HIGHLY disagree here. Theres no reason to get a lunge with a MELEE WEAPON and without it. The sword and hammer have a wider lunge range sure, but regular melee should always be smaller but still present.

> 2535431756517734;6:
> > 2535452145368480;5:
> > I disagree with you. The formula in Halo needs some minor adjustments. Earn your kill! Lunging forward in a ridiculous fashion should have never been implemented in Halo. The only exception should be when you have an energy sword.
>
> HIGHLY disagree here. Theres no reason to get a lunge with a MELEE WEAPON and without it. The sword and hammer have a wider lunge range sure, but regular melee should always be smaller but still present.

Negative. Earn your kill and stop relying on a broken melee function. Halo 2 lunges were absurd.

> 2535452145368480;7:
> > 2535431756517734;6:
> > > 2535452145368480;5:
> > > I disagree with you. The formula in Halo needs some minor adjustments. Earn your kill! Lunging forward in a ridiculous fashion should have never been implemented in Halo. The only exception should be when you have an energy sword.
> >
> > HIGHLY disagree here. Theres no reason to get a lunge with a MELEE WEAPON and without it. The sword and hammer have a wider lunge range sure, but regular melee should always be smaller but still present.
>
> Negative. Earn your kill and stop relying on a broken melee function. Halo 2 lunges were absurd.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree here, lunge in Halo has been a huge feature since the start. Like you said yourself “Halo 2 lunges were absurd” but it was design choice. Lunge in Halo is as iconic as the cheif’s green and the energy shields. To completely remove lunge would fundamentally change Halo’s gameplay.
Just because you got a well timed melee does not mean you have not “Earned Your Kill”, frankly that’s like saying that throwing grenades in a fight means you didn’t earn that kill. If it is a part of the game, it is a tool to have fun with and get kills and play.

> 2533274821485276;8:
> > 2535452145368480;7:
> > > 2535431756517734;6:
> > > > 2535452145368480;5:
> > > > I disagree with you. The formula in Halo needs some minor adjustments. Earn your kill! Lunging forward in a ridiculous fashion should have never been implemented in Halo. The only exception should be when you have an energy sword.
> > >
> > > HIGHLY disagree here. Theres no reason to get a lunge with a MELEE WEAPON and without it. The sword and hammer have a wider lunge range sure, but regular melee should always be smaller but still present.
> >
> > Negative. Earn your kill and stop relying on a broken melee function. Halo 2 lunges were absurd.
>
> I guess we will have to agree to disagree here, lunge in Halo has been a huge feature since the start. Like you said yourself “Halo 2 lunges were absurd” but it was design choice. Lunge in Halo is as iconic as the cheif’s green and the energy shields. To completely remove lunge would fundamentally change Halo’s gameplay.
> Just because you got a well timed melee does not mean you have not “Earned Your Kill”, frankly that’s like saying that throwing grenades in a fight means you didn’t earn that kill. If it is a part of the game, it is a tool to have fun with and get kills and play.

I have been playing since 2001. The formula is due for a change.

It feels like every melee fight turns into losing track of the enemy and trying to find them again. It’s just awful feeling. It definitely needs more lunge and tracking, as well as player collision.