Halo will fail until a 1-50 system is out.

People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.

Until 1-50 is out, inside the game… every Halo will lose population shortly after release regardless of how good the game is.

I feel there is no reason to play Halo 4, I didn’t get to play much day one so my rank is a little behind and I’ve already beaten Solo Legendary.

Like what is the motivation behind me playing it anymore?

> People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.
>
> Until 1-50 is out, inside the game… every Halo will lose population shortly after release regardless of how good the game is.
>
> I feel there is no reason to play Halo 4, I didn’t get to play much day one so my rank is a little behind and I’ve already beaten Solo Legendary.
>
> Like what is the motivation behind me playing it anymore?

Wait, what? First off, I think people play Halo to have fun, and second, winning is supposed to be intrinsically motivating, so why do you need encouragement to play well outside of not losing?

Halo 4 was actually a success commercially.

> > People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.
> >
> > Until 1-50 is out, inside the game… every Halo will lose population shortly after release regardless of how good the game is.
> >
> > I feel there is no reason to play Halo 4, I didn’t get to play much day one so my rank is a little behind and I’ve already beaten Solo Legendary.
> >
> > Like what is the motivation behind me playing it anymore?
>
> Wait, what? First off, I think people play Halo to have fun, and second, winning is supposed to be intrinsically motivating, so why do you need encouragement to play well outside of not losing?

What is the point of winning in this game? 400 more XP?

I really don’t think a ranking system is needed for a game to be a success and there a plenty of games that prove this like CoD. Besides we are getting one in January.

Inb4 “That’s only on Waypoint!”.

It’s only confirmed for Waypoint. Frankie said it could end up being visible in game.

Halo 3’s true skill ranking system sucked though. If lower leveled people beat you you go down, you could only increase by beating higher levels and if you lose you could not increase in the next round. Also it was not transparent enough so half the time you didn’t know what was going on to your rank. All these things would add up and your rank would not change for 15 rounds either way regardless of how well you played.

I agree we need a ranking system, but it needs to be a good one.

> > > People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.
> > >
> > > Until 1-50 is out, inside the game… every Halo will lose population shortly after release regardless of how good the game is.
> > >
> > > I feel there is no reason to play Halo 4, I didn’t get to play much day one so my rank is a little behind and I’ve already beaten Solo Legendary.
> > >
> > > Like what is the motivation behind me playing it anymore?
> >
> > Wait, what? First off, I think people play Halo to have fun, and second, winning is supposed to be intrinsically motivating, so why do you need encouragement to play well outside of not losing?
>
> What is the point of winning in this game? 400 more XP?

The point of winning is to win.

> Halo 4 was actually a success commercially.

Anything with a Halo name will be a “success commercially”. However I am talking about population counter after the game has been out. It is down to 200k, which was where Halo 3 was at a month before Reach.

If you need a number on your profile to make the game fun, then there’s something seriously wrong with you.

To an extent I agree to the post…

If we had the ranking system from start almost no one would be worried about the rank 70 cap since they could still be ranking up in certain playlists. Since we now have no rank system and 70 cap there’s a possibility these players will simply stop playing :frowning:

And no people don’t play Halo simply because of a ranking system but it sure is nice to have. :slight_smile:

> > Halo 4 was actually a success commercially.
>
> Anything with a Halo name will be a “success commercially”. However I am talking about population counter after the game has been out. It is down to 200k, which was where Halo 3 was at a month before Reach.

That doesn’t really matter. There are other more serious problems for the competitive community that haven’t been answered to aside from a 1-50 pacifier.

Lack of Fileshare support effects the competitive guys a hell of a lot more then the number being attached to their name. I think there should be a 1-50 ranking eventually, absolutely. But it isn’t really THAT bad. It isn’t hard to tell a good player from a poor one. All you need to do is peak at the W/L and K/D on an account and you can make a pretty good guess. Anyone could look at my stats and immediately guess that I’d be a middle-grounder somewhere between 30-35 in a 1-50 system.

> I really don’t think a ranking system is needed for a game to be a success and there a plenty of games that prove this like CoD. Besides we are getting one in January.
>
> Inb4 “That’s only on Waypoint!”.
>
> It’s only confirmed for Waypoint. Frankie said it could end up being visible in game.

Problem is, if I want to play Call of Duty, I would play Call of Duty. Just becuase it works for CoD it doesn’t mean it should be on every multiplayer FPS game for a decade.

Also, I know H4 is getting 1-50. Hopefully it works out well :slight_smile:

> If you need a number on your profile to make the game fun, then there’s something seriously wrong with you.

If I was going to play a game for the solely purpose of fun, I would be playing Halo: PC right now.

But everything gets boring if there is no motivation behind it.

> > > Halo 4 was actually a success commercially.
> >
> > Anything with a Halo name will be a “success commercially”. However I am talking about population counter after the game has been out. It is down to 200k, which was where Halo 3 was at a month before Reach.
>
> That doesn’t really matter. There are other more serious problems for the competitive community that haven’t been answered to aside from a 1-50 pacifier.
>
>
> Lack of Fileshare support effects the competitive guys a hell of a lot more then the number being attached to their name.

The lack of proper File Share support is probably the single greatest issue with Halo 4, as it negatively impacts every corner of the Halo community. Thankfully 343 is working on the File Sharing issue.

Hey OP,

Define how Halo 4 will “fail”.

Will the population drop to 0?
Will DLC not sell?
Will Halo 5 not get made?

How will Halo 4 “fail” if 343i doesn’t cater to you and your need for 1-50?

> People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.
>
> Like what is the motivation behind me playing it anymore?

Oh, I dunno, fun? People DO NOT play to get a 50, they play to level up and have a good time. The skill based leveling is an elitist concept. Not only is it unfair for players that aren’t of professional skill, but it promotes cheating. You had to grind XP in Halo 3, too. It actually took LONGER, because it was based on games won rather than how well you did.

“People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.”

There are plenty of us who play because we enjoy the game.

A visible 1-50 system was responsible for the shattered state the community finds itself in today.

I’d rather not see the dramatic increase in griefing, quitting and cheating that a 1-50 would create.

> > People don’t play Halo to grind XP, they play it to get their skill level to 50, or as close as they can.
> >
> > Like what is the motivation behind me playing it anymore?
>
> Oh, I dunno, fun? People DO NOT play to get a 50, they play to level up and have a good time. The skill based leveling is an elitist concept. Not only is it unfair for players that aren’t of professional skill, but it promotes cheating. You had to grind XP in Halo 3, too. It actually took LONGER, because it was based on games won rather than how well you did.

Progressive ranks are actually more balanced than skill-based ranks, as the former is less easily exploited.

> > If you need a number on your profile to make the game fun, then there’s something seriously wrong with you.
>
> If I was going to play a game for the solely purpose of fun, I would be playing Halo: PC right now.
>
> But everything gets boring if there is no motivation behind it.

Fun isn’t a strong enough incentive? You could always play something else, too. Maybe MLG is more your style.

> > I really don’t think a ranking system is needed for a game to be a success and there a plenty of games that prove this like CoD. Besides we are getting one in January.
> >
> > Inb4 “That’s only on Waypoint!”.
> >
> > It’s only confirmed for Waypoint. Frankie said it could end up being visible in game.
>
> Problem is, if I want to play Call of Duty, I would play Call of Duty. Just becuase it works for CoD it doesn’t mean it should be on every multiplayer FPS game for a decade.
>
> Also, I know H4 is getting 1-50. Hopefully it works out well :slight_smile:

We need to fight for the 1-50 true skill ranking system to be implemented IN game. The CSR update they are adding is ONLY web based meaning only seen on waypoint and does not effect rank. Basically has no purpose and is pointless. For more info and to support a full skilled ranking system check out this thread- https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst135168_1-50-Competitive-Skill-Rank-Official-Thread.aspx