Halo Waypoint forum ranks kinda bad?

Is it just me or are the forum ranks, you know, suckish? I know its only a rank, its just that it doesn’t feel very rewarding to make posts because you only go up to like silver/bronze/gold every few hundred posts. That is a lot of posts too…

I would not say suckish, but yes, they are odd. I have yet to figure out a suitable way to rank up besides posting on every topic you see, just so you can get up in rank.

To me, the ranks aren’t all that great. It’s just a new word. Other forums have a more, idk, flashy title? Y’know?

Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, thanks, etc.

> Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, <mark>thanks</mark>, etc.

I asked Austin about that, and he told me that most posts would end with

Please thank this post if you agree.

So no, that should not be how a forum member ranks up.

> Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, thanks, etc.

I too enjoy their simplicity but mind you I’ve also gone through all of them. Was there any specific way you wanted to see them redone?

> > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, <mark>thanks</mark>, etc.
>
> I asked Austin about that, and he told me that most posts would end with
>
> Please thank this post if you agree.
>
> So no, that should not be how a forum member ranks up.

I suppose that’s true, but unfortunately that’s the case with any thank/merit-based forum rank system.

But hey, I’m just tossing out ideas. :stuck_out_tongue:

> > > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, <mark>thanks</mark>, etc.
> >
> > I asked Austin about that, and he told me that most posts would end with
> >
> > Please thank this post if you agree.
> >
> > So no, that should not be how a forum member ranks up.
>
> I suppose that’s true, but unfortunately that’s the case with any thank/merit-based forum rank system.
>
> But hey, I’m just tossing out ideas. :stuck_out_tongue:

could there perhaps be a rule that says you can’t ask for thanks?

but the system could also have one’s thank count correspond to certain forum unlocks? Like a higher character limit for posts?

> > > > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, <mark>thanks</mark>, etc.
> > >
> > > I asked Austin about that, and he told me that most posts would end with
> > >
> > > Please thank this post if you agree.
> > >
> > > So no, that should not be how a forum member ranks up.
> >
> > I suppose that’s true, but unfortunately that’s the case with any thank/merit-based forum rank system.
> >
> > But hey, I’m just tossing out ideas. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> could there perhaps be a rule that says you can’t ask for thanks?
>
> but the system could also have one’s thank count correspond to certain forum unlocks? Like a higher character limit for posts?

That’s not the worst idea in the world but it still has room for exploits. in all fairness, there’s always pros or cons of each system.

> > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, <mark>thanks</mark>, etc.
>
> I asked Austin about that, and he told me that most posts would end with
>
> Please thank this post if you agree.
>
> So no, that should not be how a forum member ranks up.

Thanked, not because of the “Please thank this post” But for the sure fact that this man is correct to assume this. Plus, not everyone uses the thank feature on the web site, and it’d most likely drowned out those who are constructive members, by those who are anything but haters and naggers, who get thanks because they’re being hateful of what 343i is doing vs trying to be constructive.

Ranks base off of rep systems isn’t a smart idea. Yes the post amount needed to rank up is a lot, but try getting to Spartan, that’s around 6000+, yes that’s a lot, but it shows that you’ve been trying to make a name for your self on the forums rather than lurking like a lot of people do.

I always liked the old B.net coloured bar, then B.next removed that feature :frowning:

A background colour highlight would be nice for each major rank level e.g. ODST, Spartan, Superintendent :wink:

> Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has <mark>been here</mark>, thanks, etc.

That would work wouldn’t it ?

It’s something you can’t mess with in any way

> Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, thanks, etc.

I’m not trying to ask too much, but it would be nice to have our forum ranks or stuff under our avatars be a little more flashy. Maybe add some more funny titles like the Master of Unicorns. Maybe keep the forum ranks but add a secondary title? I’m not sure how to phrase that >.<

> > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, thanks, etc.
>
> I’m not trying to ask too much, but it would be nice to have our forum ranks or stuff under our avatars be a little more flashy. Maybe add some more funny titles like the Master of Unicorns. Maybe keep the forum ranks but add a secondary title? I’m not sure how to phrase that >.<

I know what you mean entirely.

Something like this?

I’d be up for silly titles (I know NeoGAF has them) but I’d prefer it if we fixed Master of Unicorns entirely and removed it.

> > > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has been here, thanks, etc.
> >
> > I’m not trying to ask too much, but it would be nice to have our forum ranks or stuff under our avatars be a little more flashy. Maybe add some more funny titles like the Master of Unicorns. Maybe keep the forum ranks but add a secondary title? I’m not sure how to phrase that >.<
>
> I know what you mean entirely.
>
> Something like this?
>
> I’d be up for silly titles (I know NeoGAF has them) but I’d prefer it if we fixed Master of Unicorns entirely and removed it.

Yes! :smiley:
Waypoint Warrior is brilliant. Sounds like something that the people who make thousands of posts would have. Or maybe those who tend to have heated debates/arguments in in the General threads.

Weren’t you a Master of Unicorns once upon a time?

> > Eh, I like the simplicity, but I wouldn’t really complain if they were revamped. Perhaps something based on how long a member has <mark>been here</mark>, thanks, etc.
>
> That would work wouldn’t it ?
>
> It’s something you can’t mess with in any way

but then people who only log in once in a while to, for example, write a non-constructive rage thread could have a high status on the forums only because they had the account for a long time.

I like the simplicity.

You can’t do too many rewards without inciting people to spam posts ( assuming we’re using posts), thats why I like the signature at Spartan. Less signature spam, and generally those that get up there are good, mature members.

Perhaps some fresh titles (assuming we don’t get a MoU bug again) could work. I like “Waypoint Warrior” as someone mentioned earlier.

Or perhaps Didact for those who show the rules to the newer players? Those who necropost, or who bump topics, those people, instead of going all out ‘UH, dont post in this dead thread, I’m reporting this!’
People like Sitri who just encourage them to read the rules and to remember it for next time.

> If someone was here 3 years ago and posted around 5 times a day, they should be close to Spartan by now. And even more posts per day if they joined the forums later. That’s a lot of posting. When do they play Halo? How informative/constructive can one be to post +6000? Is it just posting to friends or giving opinions to beat a dead horse?
>
> +6000 posts. Hell, I salute them. I just don’t have that kind of time on my hands. -lurker

> [
> If someone was here 3 years ago and posted around 5 times a day, they should be close to Spartan by now. And even more posts per day if they joined the forums later. That’s a lot of posting. When do they play Halo? How informative/constructive can one be to post +6000? Is it just posting to friends or giving opinions to beat a dead horse?
>
> +6000 posts. Hell, I salute them. I just don’t have that kind of time on my hands. -lurker

I actually am on the forums way more than I actually play Halo. I don’t play H4 often anymore.