Halo Wars Kinect

Take a look at this article, it’s short.

I have mixed feelings about this. If done properly it could be awesome.

My main issue is that it might require voice recognition. This might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it means that communicating with your teammates online will be very problematic, which has the potential to ruin the game.

Thoughts anyone?

Voice Recon? LOL no. It just wouldn’t work.

lol that’ll be interesting

> Voice Recon? LOL no. It just wouldn’t work.

That’s more or less my thoughts on the matter, though I do think that motion controls might have potential if it can map where you are pointing on the screen very well. But even if that’s the case, I’d still like to have a controller for a lot of other things and just be able to point at things in a few circumstances. I don’t know, it really depends. I don’t have any experience with motion controls for subtle movements. It might be the case that they make things really, really simple.

> My main issue is that it might require voice recognition. This might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it means that communicating with your teammates online will be very problematic, which has the potential to ruin the game.

I take it none of you have played Tom Clancy’s Endwar. IMO the voice recognition was spot on (for my accent at least). What Endwar did for the voice commands in online situations was assign a button (LB?) that when pressed uses your voice as a command prompt, and when you press another button (RB?) it opens the chat channel to talk to your opponents, and whatever you say there won’t be heard as a command.

Kinect controls are very suitable for the RTS genre of games, contrary to my above posters’ thoughts. This minus the table and this with the voice recognition menu system would make for an amazing RTS game, at least, imo.

I can’t say I really care about Kinect functionality, but I pray to the powers that be that Robot Entertainment and 343i produce another Halo Wars title. For what it is, the game really is awesome and deserving of appreciation.

> > My main issue is that it might require voice recognition. This might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it means that communicating with your teammates online will be very problematic, which has the potential to ruin the game.
>
> I take it none of you have played Tom Clancy’s Endwar. IMO the voice recognition was spot on (for my accent at least). What Endwar did for the voice commands in online situations was assign a button (LB?) that when pressed uses your voice as a command prompt, and when you press another button (RB?) it opens the chat channel to talk to your opponents, and whatever you say there won’t be heard as a command.
>
> Kinect controls are very suitable for the RTS genre of games, contrary to my above posters’ thoughts. This minus the table and this with the voice recognition menu system would make for an amazing RTS game, at least, imo.

Once again, I’m not saying it’s impossible. In fact, I can see RTS as the ultimate genre for motion control, just like in your first video. I’m just not sure whether the tech is up to it yet. Plus, you won’t have a screen to interact with, just the air in front of the TV, so it wouldn’t be as smooth as a table.

I knew about TC: Endwar, but I also know that it was a tactical RTS, i.e. one where you didn’t manage buildings or build units, which is really a large part of the fun. Though I think in some games (I’m lookin’ at you Star Craft) the economic aspect takes on a mind of its own and begins to become complex for the sake of complexity, whereas I think you can have depth without creating a really complex system where you have to memorize twelve different build orders for different scenarios. I also think free-building is overrated, and can be limited to tactical structures like bunkers and AA guns, while main buildings can be socketed for simplicity’s sake. Star Craft has huge depth, and although that depth allows the skill of a player to really shine forth, I don’t think it adds a lot to the actual fun of the gameplay.

But I digress. The problem is just integrating those economic components with the voice and motion control systems. Also, did Endwar have co-op multiplayer or was it only 1v1? Because I think the left bumper for voice commands might work as long as it muted you for your other teammates in order to avoid confusion.

A table would be really great, because it would allow you to tap on something to bring up a small menu and then tap it again to select your option, thus making things incredibly simple. But that means that there might be really cool RTS games for the iPad, not for consoles.

> > > My main issue is that it might require voice recognition. This might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it means that communicating with your teammates online will be very problematic, which has the potential to ruin the game.
> >
> > I take it none of you have played Tom Clancy’s Endwar. IMO the voice recognition was spot on (for my accent at least). What Endwar did for the voice commands in online situations was assign a button (LB?) that when pressed uses your voice as a command prompt, and when you press another button (RB?) it opens the chat channel to talk to your opponents, and whatever you say there won’t be heard as a command.
> >
> > Kinect controls are very suitable for the RTS genre of games, contrary to my above posters’ thoughts. This minus the table and this with the voice recognition menu system would make for an amazing RTS game, at least, imo.
>
> Once again, I’m not saying it’s impossible. In fact, I can see RTS as the ultimate genre for motion control, just like in your first video. I’m just not sure whether the tech is up to it yet. Plus, you won’t have a screen to interact with, just the air in front of the TV, so it wouldn’t be as smooth as a table.
>
> I knew about TC: Endwar, but I also know that it was a tactical RTS, i.e. one where you didn’t manage buildings or build units, which is really a large part of the fun. Though I think in some games (I’m lookin’ at you Star Craft) the economic aspect takes on a mind of its own and begins to become complex for the sake of complexity, whereas I think you can have depth without creating a really complex system where you have to memorize twelve different build orders for different scenarios. I also think free-building is overrated, and can be limited to tactical structures like bunkers and AA guns, while main buildings can be socketed for simplicity’s sake. Star Craft has huge depth, and although that depth allows the skill of a player to really shine forth, I don’t think it adds a lot to the actual fun of the gameplay.
>
> But I digress. The problem is just integrating those economic components with the voice and motion control systems. Also, did Endwar have co-op multiplayer or was it only 1v1? Because I think the left bumper for voice commands might work as long as it muted you for your other teammates in order to avoid confusion.
>
> A table would be really great, because it would allow you to tap on something to bring up a small menu and then tap it again to select your option, thus making things incredibly simple. But that means that there might be really cool RTS games for the iPad, not for consoles.

I’ve been an RTS fan since I was five, now I’m 22.

My first ever RTS was Warcraft 2 for the Playstation and when my family got a computer, I got the whole series that was out at that point, Warcraft Orcs and Humans, Warcraft 2 and its’ expansion.

I can imagine that Kinect would be a really good ground as a controller for future RTS games, but that is if it’s done correctly. I don’t want to jump infront of my TV to issue orders to my bomb planes to retreat, or stretch my arms as far out as I can to build a rifleman.

One option could be a sort of a touchpad that Lap Tops have, but an enlarged one that’s designed for RTS games in mind. Large and clickable anywhere, keep a finger on it to have a cursor on the screen, press to click and do what you normally do and then of course multi touch.

However, I’m willing to test Kinect for RTS games at first.

As for Starcraft, I don’t see the economy part being a complex thing, it’s more of a ground that you have to walk on in order to succeed. If the ground is crap, then of course you’re not going to succeed. I find Starcraft 2 really fun and I don’t think that you have to memories build orders, there was more of that in Halo Wars than in Starcraft 2.

I never got to test TC: End War though so I don’t know about the voice recogniciton, but I heard there were some problems with issuing more complex commands. So if there were voice recog. in a future Halo Wars, I’d want them to keep it simple.

I wrote this thread about a future Halo Wars I would like.

I really want a Halo Wars 2 but i’m not sure of the kinect stuff, the time they would spend on the kinect controls would be better spent on creating more content, balancing and fine tuning the game. Either way just please make a Halo Wars 2!!

I would buy it for kinect if it meant that non-kinect Halo Wars 2 would be on the way.

> I really want a Halo Wars 2 but i’m not sure of the kinect stuff, the time they would spend on the kinect controls would be better spent on creating more content, balancing and fine tuning the game. Either way just please make a Halo Wars 2!!

This.

I want this. I don’t care what it takes, money, blackmail, guncrime, selling my soul, I’ll do it just so I can stand in my room waving my arms madly as I control the Arby.

> I want this. I don’t care what it takes, money, blackmail, guncrime, selling my soul, I’ll do it just so I can stand in my room waving my arms madly as I control the Arby.

Pretending to be the Arby in Rage mode would be pretty awesome, though rather tiring.