Halo Wars EXP system

I’ve been trying to think of ways to make HW more popular. A bigger fan base would give it more of the support it deserves. Just to let you know my perspective, I’m a casual player who is terrible at MP, but enjoyed the Campaign. Also, I’m a bit of an achievement junkie who would like to get my current 1150/1200 to 1200/1200. I’m curious how others, both casuals and experts, would feel about the following changes.

1. I wouldn’t want to change the actual gameplay to make it easier to win for casuals like me. You experts have put in the time and strategy. You deserve the wins and the leaderboard positions.

2. I’d like to see higher EXP payouts for the loser. The winner of course should still get more points. I don’t mind losing, but I find a 4500 to 300 point score disheartening when there’s such a climb to 960K. I’d like a point system more like Reach’s credit system, where just about any game gives at least 1000 points. It’s more encouraging for the newcomer or bad player. Even though I’m not good at Reach, I keep playing every day because it feels like I’m progressing towards higher rewards at a decent rate.

3. If the EXP payouts can’t be changed, then reduce the requirements for General again, maybe to 100K. I have friends like me who’d play the game more if they felt the last achievement was more obtainable. Perhaps ranks above General could be added to reward those who are very skilled or have played a lot.

4. Gain EXP by playing Campaign or AI Skirmish. I like that in Reach, I can play the game how I want and still get rewarded.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah I love Halo Wars 100% it and I agree we need more people. What they should have is a 3v3 Deathmatch option in Matchmaking. I love Deathmatch but 2v2 is boring.

The amount of experience to obtain the General rank was pretty much halved in a past title update, so be thankful for that haha. 3v3 deathmatch was not included because there would be too much going on and one console wouldn’t be able to withstand 6 full-pop armies going at it. Lol. The lag would be unbearable.

Unfortunately True Skill is a cross-game system and they aren’t going to change it for a low pop-count game.

If they really wanted to revive the game they should do radical balance changes. As it stands right now the most strategy is just in 1v1. In 2v2 and 3v3 there are much fewer options.

Also only a few units are actually viable at higher level play. All of the true high level players are very clever, and would, I’m sure, be happy to adapt new strategies if the game was significantly altered.

If you really wanted to revive the game, give it a substantial overhaul in another Title update that will force players to devise new strategies. Here’s what my suggestions are from a post I made in the HW forums…

Unfortunately this will cost money, and Microsoft has given up on Halo Wars, as evidenced by its disbanding of Robot, and its recent announcement that it will take away stat tracking.

Before balance issues, Glich Fixes:

Fix the vampires so they aren’t so *** glichy. They’re really good at what they do, it’s just annoying having to micro them just to make them work properly. The across the map thing is just nonsense. I don’t know if this is a balancing issue so much as a personal pet peeve. Also the sentinels probably need to be debuffed and the Arbiter DEFINITELY needs to be able to kill them.

On to my take on the balance issues:

1. Make tanks slower!!! They should be powerful, but they shouldn’t be fast. Also fix it so that Grizzlies’ canister is better than PT so there’s actually a point to building them.

2. Make cobras take less of a pop count/tech req./build time, but also much weaker. My reason for this is that they’re *** near impossible to move, so it doesn’t really matter if they’re super strong against tanks, if the tanks can just run away and kill another base. If one could build more of them faster at the start the enemy would have to come up with more strategy than a tank push. You could make them weaker against grenades from infantry. This would make it so that both teams would have to build a more varied array of units, which I think makes for more variation in possible strategies, which in turn makes the game a bit more fun.

For instance, if it’s 2v2 Arby/Cutter mirror, and the Cutter builds cobras instead of tanks while the Arby gets vamps (or whatever else would make a good combo with the new cobras) then the Tanks could die, and the other cutter might get ODST faster, or just keep moving the cobras up with whatever backup, which would make players think about combo-ing their tanks with flamethrowers etc or have the Arby build grunt squads to grenade the cobras and counter the vamps.

1. Make turrets stronger (or just cheaper and faster) so as to counter the early rush/ harassment without loosing too much economy. In all traditional (real life) strategy it is better to defend than attack (from the standpoints of immediate battle logistics and casualties at least, this might not be true in the long run of the entire war), maybe HW should mirror this fact? Make the game more about larger battles/hook expo control than about harassment then early push. (I feel this would be more fun, but I guess some might disagree with me.)

2. Buff wraiths. Mainly so that they have more health and are more accurate.

3. Buff the crap out of the elephant when it is locked down so that a T0 Leader would take some serious damage from it. Do this by giving it flame turrets, so that it takes out infantry, but will die easily from vehicles/air. (this would just make it so it’s a more viable build for cutter early game.)

4. Fix hunters so they’re a bit faster and more organized. (Also I’d love it if they could actually get through the teleporter without me holding their hands.)

5. Maybe buff some of the UNSC air. I defer to someone who plays a lot of UNSC on this, but I feel that vultures are almost completely pointless except to finish someone off (like scarabs).

6. Scarabs??? I have mixed feelings. For the most part are pointless, but can be very annoying in certain situations. (Those situations mainly arise from the other team being incompetent, but if gameplay was changed so that harassment+early push was harder then they might need to be modified. They can move about too freely on Glacial Ravine, but that could be countered easily by buffing cobras the way I suggested. Honestly cobras should be better considering they’re completely helpless against air.)

7. Locusts??? IDK. Some people still use them in certain situations. I feel that they should die pretty easily, but also that one should be able to build 5 or 6 of them and send them to an enemy base in order to force at least some of the enemies’ army to pull back. This builds upon my general point to make it so there’s more of a point to building a factory.

8. Hogs??? Don’t really have much of a complaint.

9. Wolves??? Don’t really have much of a complaint, but they should die quite easily from anything besides air.

10. Ghosts??? Maybe nerf them a little and make it so you can build them from the citadel? Just for scouting purposes until you have banshees. Maybe that would make the ghost rush easier… but I’ve never seen the ghost rush before so I can’t really comment.

It used to take 3.2 million to get to General, 960k is pretty much nothing. 100k would just be ridiculous. You can get 4k+ in a 10 minute game of Deathmatch if you do good. One thing I do agree on is EXP in Skirmish and Campaign, though I doubt we’re ever going to get a major update that would include that.

You can get 8000 points in a 30-45 minute 3v3 game if you’re playing nubs.

> Unfortunately True Skill is a cross-game system and they aren’t going to change it for a low pop-count game.

Is True Skill tied to the amount of EXP you get? I assumed it was like I’ve heard for H3, just dependent on wins vs losses. I wouldn’t want to change the True Skill rankings.

I’m just saying that getting beaten 4000 to 400 is rather discouraging. I imagine many newcomers have given up the game quickly after a few scores like that. I think getting at least 1000 would be a good encouragement to keep playing.

I agree that 960K isn’t bad at all if you’re a good player. I mostly play 1v1 Deathmatch for quicker EXP and so I don’t drag down any teammates. I do win sometimes and get like 2000, but I feel bad for my opponent who only gets around 200. But usually I lose, making my score sub-500. That makes 960K seem too far away.

I was aware that the General requirement was reduced from 3.2M to 2.4M to 960K. I do appreciate that. Unfortunately, it’s still too intimidating to me and some of my friends. Maybe 100K would be ridiculously low. I think increasing the EXP earned in a loss would be a better solution. I just wasn’t sure it was technically feasible, whereas reducing the General requirement certainly is.

I can’t give an opinion on the more detailed ideas you shared. I do hope any bugs and balance issues are eventually fixed.

You’re right. The True skill isn’t tied to exp. I guess I didn’t read your post carefully enough.

The problem is just that there are a lot of bad generals as it is. Don’t you think that the top players in the game deserve a higher rank than someone who they would stomp on? I’m a general on my original account (ReiverCorrupter) which was unfortunately destroyed. But I don’t think I deserve to be the same rank as people like Kangaroo Love, Slayer, sPro Mitch or Crusader. Honestly if rank actually reflected one’s place in the game, I’d set myself as maybe a Colonel.

Plus, all of the GP seekers would quit once they hit general because they don’t want to commit to really learning and getting good at the game. So I don’t think it would be nearly as effective at bringing life into the game as you think.

YOU CAN LEARN AND ALWAYS GET BETTER IN AN RTS PEOPLE!!! DON’T GIVE UP JUST BECAUSE YOU AREN’T GOOD AT FIRST! NO ONE IS! YOU CAN’T KEEP GETTING BETTER IN THE SAME WAY IN FPS GAMES!! YOUR AIM IS JUST YOUR NATURAL HAND EYE COORDINATION AND YOU CAN’T DO THAT MUCH ABOUT IT! IF YOU DON’T LIKE RTS GAMES THAT’S FINE! JUST DON’T PRETEND THAT YOU DON’T LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY’RE TOO HARD!

I agree that I shouldn’t have as high of a rank as the top players. Unfortunately, an achievement is tied to that rank and that motivates achievement hunters like myself and some of my friends. That’s why I suggested adding some even higher ranks like Reach has, to reward the best players. I wouldn’t mind if those also had some connection to True Skill, like in H3. Unfortunately, that does encourage boosters.

And some of us might continue playing beyond 1200 GS if we find it psychologically rewarding. I got to 1000 GS in Reach about a month ago, yet still play it every day to get the Challenges and slowly rank up. I think Bungie really made a great player investment system for the mediocre player like myself. It would be nice to recreate some of that in HW.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep playing.

> 4) Buff wraiths. Mainly so that they have more health and are more accurate.
>
>
> 5) Buff the crap out of the elephant when it is locked down so that a T0 Leader would take some serious damage from it. Do this by giving it flame turrets, so that it takes out infantry, but will die easily from vehicles/air. (this would just make it so it’s a more viable build for cutter early game.)
>
>
> 9) Locusts??? IDK. Some people still use them in certain situations. I feel that they should die pretty easily, but also that one should be able to build 5 or 6 of them and send them to an enemy base in order to force at least some of the enemies’ army to pull back. This builds upon my general point to make it so there’s more of a point to building a factory.

It is hard to balance units for both 1v1 and team games. Wraiths could use a buff in teams, but they are already one of the most used covie units in 1v1. An elephant seems almost useless in team games as well, but in 1v1 if they buffed it like you said, a matchup such as Cutter vs Arby on Chasms would be almost impossible to win just because Cutter could spam elephants. Locust rushing is another tough strat to beat in 1s, but never seen in high level team games.

> > 4) Buff wraiths. Mainly so that they have more health and are more accurate.
> >
> >
> > 5) Buff the crap out of the elephant when it is locked down so that a T0 Leader would take some serious damage from it. Do this by giving it flame turrets, so that it takes out infantry, but will die easily from vehicles/air. (this would just make it so it’s a more viable build for cutter early game.)
> >
> >
> > 9) Locusts??? IDK. Some people still use them in certain situations. I feel that they should die pretty easily, but also that one should be able to build 5 or 6 of them and send them to an enemy base in order to force at least some of the enemies’ army to pull back. This builds upon my general point to make it so there’s more of a point to building a factory.
>
> It is hard to balance units for both 1v1 and team games. Wraiths could use a buff in teams, but they are already one of the most used covie units in 1v1. An elephant seems almost useless in team games as well, but in 1v1 if they buffed it like you said, a matchup such as Cutter vs Arby on Chasms would be almost impossible to win just because Cutter could spam elephants. Locust rushing is another tough strat to beat in 1s, but never seen in high level team games.

RTS games only focus on balance in 1v1 before anything else. It makes sense.

> > > 4) Buff wraiths. Mainly so that they have more health and are more accurate.
> > >
> > >
> > > 5) Buff the crap out of the elephant when it is locked down so that a T0 Leader would take some serious damage from it. Do this by giving it flame turrets, so that it takes out infantry, but will die easily from vehicles/air. (this would just make it so it’s a more viable build for cutter early game.)
> > >
> > >
> > > 9) Locusts??? IDK. Some people still use them in certain situations. I feel that they should die pretty easily, but also that one should be able to build 5 or 6 of them and send them to an enemy base in order to force at least some of the enemies’ army to pull back. This builds upon my general point to make it so there’s more of a point to building a factory.
> >
> > It is hard to balance units for both 1v1 and team games. Wraiths could use a buff in teams, but they are already one of the most used covie units in 1v1. An elephant seems almost useless in team games as well, but in 1v1 if they buffed it like you said, a matchup such as Cutter vs Arby on Chasms would be almost impossible to win just because Cutter could spam elephants. Locust rushing is another tough strat to beat in 1s, but never seen in high level team games.
>
>
> RTS games only focus on balance in 1v1 before anything else. It makes sense.

So why are Anders and BC the only two viable leaders in 1v1 MM then? That doesn’t seem very balanced.

> > > > 4) Buff wraiths. Mainly so that they have more health and are more accurate.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > 5) Buff the crap out of the elephant when it is locked down so that a T0 Leader would take some serious damage from it. Do this by giving it flame turrets, so that it takes out infantry, but will die easily from vehicles/air. (this would just make it so it’s a more viable build for cutter early game.)
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > 9) Locusts??? IDK. Some people still use them in certain situations. I feel that they should die pretty easily, but also that one should be able to build 5 or 6 of them and send them to an enemy base in order to force at least some of the enemies’ army to pull back. This builds upon my general point to make it so there’s more of a point to building a factory.
> > >
> > > It is hard to balance units for both 1v1 and team games. Wraiths could use a buff in teams, but they are already one of the most used covie units in 1v1. An elephant seems almost useless in team games as well, but in 1v1 if they buffed it like you said, a matchup such as Cutter vs Arby on Chasms would be almost impossible to win just because Cutter could spam elephants. Locust rushing is another tough strat to beat in 1s, but never seen in high level team games.
> >
> >
> > RTS games only focus on balance in 1v1 before anything else. It makes sense.
>
> So why are Anders and BC the only two viable leaders in 1v1 MM then? That doesn’t seem very balanced.

Depends on what you mean “viable”. They are the two best leaders, but forge/cutter/arby aren’t far behind.
I have beaten 46 TS anders on pirth at least 5 times, while beating the brute on many maps as well. They are better, and I would gladly like to face a UNSC player with anders anyday, but I like Forge vs Covy.
Why is it that Cutter/forge and arby the ONLY viable team in 2v2?

> > > > > 4) Buff wraiths. Mainly so that they have more health and are more accurate.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > 5) Buff the crap out of the elephant when it is locked down so that a T0 Leader would take some serious damage from it. Do this by giving it flame turrets, so that it takes out infantry, but will die easily from vehicles/air. (this would just make it so it’s a more viable build for cutter early game.)
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > 9) Locusts??? IDK. Some people still use them in certain situations. I feel that they should die pretty easily, but also that one should be able to build 5 or 6 of them and send them to an enemy base in order to force at least some of the enemies’ army to pull back. This builds upon my general point to make it so there’s more of a point to building a factory.
> > > >
> > > > It is hard to balance units for both 1v1 and team games. Wraiths could use a buff in teams, but they are already one of the most used covie units in 1v1. An elephant seems almost useless in team games as well, but in 1v1 if they buffed it like you said, a matchup such as Cutter vs Arby on Chasms would be almost impossible to win just because Cutter could spam elephants. Locust rushing is another tough strat to beat in 1s, but never seen in high level team games.
> > >
> > >
> > > RTS games only focus on balance in 1v1 before anything else. It makes sense.
> >
> > So why are Anders and BC the only two viable leaders in 1v1 MM then? That doesn’t seem very balanced.
>
> Depends on what you mean “viable”. They are the two best leaders, but forge/cutter/arby aren’t far behind.
> I have beaten 46 TS anders on pirth at least 5 times, while beating the brute on many maps as well. They are better, and I would gladly like to face a UNSC player with anders anyday, but I like Forge vs Covy.
> Why is it that Cutter/forge and arby the ONLY viable team in 2v2?

Other leaders can be used but if you look at the percentage of top players that use Anders or Brute, it’s extremely high. In certain situations you may prefer a different leader, but in MM Anders and Brute have the best chances of getting a good matchup.

You say you have beaten TS 46+ Anders on Pirth at least 5 times. But out of how many games? 5 out of 20 isn’t too good.

Depends which anders players. I wont name them, but I have them like 3/3 on some, while others only 1/4.

Some 46 ts anders I havent lost yet on pirth, others vary.

You know when HW first came out, General was 3.2 million EXP? That was insane, but the current amount takes about 2 months of steady play to get the achievement. It is fair enough, how it is, I can get 100K in 2 weeks, works well for the achievement, but not the ranking system.

> Depends which anders players. I wont name them, but I have them like 3/3 on some, while others only 1/4.
>
> Some 46 ts anders I havent lost yet on pirth, others vary.

I have never lost to Forge on Pirth. I even beat a general once.

> > Depends which anders players. I wont name them, but I have them like 3/3 on some, while others only 1/4.
> >
> > Some 46 ts anders I havent lost yet on pirth, others vary.
>
> I have never lost to Forge on Pirth. I even beat a general once.

My pro anders has never lost to a forge on pirth either, in fact, I dont think I ever got a mm game vs a forge as anders on pirth. Did the general have CtL in his gamertag, if he didn’t, obvious scrub.

No it wasn’t CtL. I think his name was Crusader King 1.

> No it wasn’t CtL. I think his name was Crusader King 1.

Stats or -Yoink-.
(Can’t wait to say that after Dec. 15th)--------Not really, I’m being sarcastic.

I WILL RUSH YOU is good…just sarcasm again.

jk. We all know you are pro.

Anyway, it’s thundering like crazy today, I was going to play but I guess not at the high risk of disconnect, so I’m bored.