Halo Wars Covie rush strats

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with this lately, this being 3 covenant rushes in 3v3 or 2 Covie plus 1 UNSC rushes. Or Covie leader rushes in general.

If you know what im talking about im hoping you have the same rages that i do. 3 Covenant build their leaders straight away and run straight to an emeny base suppressing it for the majority of the game. Turrents are a waste of time as by the time they are there, only two have built and 3 or even two leaders can easier take them down with hardly any damage to their health. (Not to mention, one suicide grunt squad will kill a turret. Not a fair tradeoff considering a turret it 250 and a grunt squad is 160. A good arbiter can constantly pump them out during a rush).

You have to remember that tier 1 upgrades for leaders (Like blessed or fiendish) give a leader nearly double damage and almost double heath. An arbiter will 5 hit a turret with fiendish taking little damage.

While your being attacked they are happily increasing their cash as they don’t need to use any money while rushing you, as you do. Usually they are either double pumping banshees and wraiths, or a forge will be pumping out tanks. The problem here isn’t the late game attack, its the early one. Its chokes you so much, its almost impossible late game to beat almost max banshees and wraiths + tanks.

I know ways of beating this, as in a quick citadel for covenant, but the sheer amount of units is too over whelming for two UNSC to handle (Or 1 Covie and UNSC).

Maybe I’ve forgotten how to beat this, but if anyone knows of strats of beating this (Without counter rushing as a double Covie) then please enlighten me. I’m just sick of the sheer amounts of people rushing in every single playlist. I knows its part of the game, but it comes to the point where you win if you hit first. Turrets just aren’t worth it, they should cost less (150 or 175) or be far stronger at first tier to at least be able to fend of a leader rush.

Discuss.

I’ve got a few suggestions. Not all of these will work, and none of them will always work. In a tense situation, they should help out.

Your best option is if you have a covie teamate- I find Regret to be the best in a pure harrasment situation like you described. As long as they don’t use thier abilities, 3 honor gaurds will usually take out and leader. If this fails, lock your base and build several jackals- then unlock your base and sent all your jackals at once. One of those two should help you out. As the arby, focus on rage upgrades- each upgrade makes raging significantly cheaper. Brute’s should obviously go brutes.

If this fails you need to minimize economy damage to the player being rushed. Have the non-covie player kill a base to allow the rushed player to expand. This way you can get counter units out while they waste time on the original base.

UNSC players need to do thier best to simply keep building. The strength in this kind of rush is that it gets all 3 players to build flamers and such, allowing the third opponent to reck with tanks. If you friend simply keeps pumping out units as if all were normal, you’ll stand a much better chance against the three rushes. As soon as the rushed player is freed he needs to start building counter unit right away. Make sure to keep scouting to ensure you make the right unit.

Thats really all I’ve got for this ruch specifically. Against a full on covie rush, where players rush with hunters and brutes right away, I’ve got some other suggestions.

First, get four or so warthogs with gunners and sit outside the brutes lift- make sure you kill any brutes that come out. Eventually you will force him to come back. Then head over to the arby and do the same.

Again, I would also suggest humans use a pretty standard build. If the rushed player can keep the opponents busy long enough, you should be able to build several tanks to wreck the rush- then the players.

Hope this helps.

> I’ve been having a lot of trouble with this lately, this being 3 covenant rushes in 3v3 or 2 Covie plus 1 UNSC rushes. Or Covie leader rushes in general.
>
> If you know what im talking about im hoping you have the same rages that i do. 3 Covenant build their leaders straight away and run straight to an emeny base suppressing it for the majority of the game. Turrents are a waste of time as by the time they are there, only two have built and 3 or even two leaders can easier take them down with hardly any damage to their health. (Not to mention, one suicide grunt squad will kill a turret. Not a fair tradeoff considering a turret it 250 and a grunt squad is 160. A good arbiter can constantly pump them out during a rush).
>
> You have to remember that tier 1 upgrades for leaders (Like blessed or fiendish) give a leader nearly double damage and almost double heath. An arbiter will 5 hit a turret with fiendish taking little damage.
>
> While your being attacked they are happily increasing their cash as they don’t need to use any money while rushing you, as you do. Usually they are either double pumping banshees and wraiths, or a forge will be pumping out tanks. The problem here isn’t the late game attack, its the early one. Its chokes you so much, its almost impossible late game to beat almost max banshees and wraiths + tanks.
>
> I know ways of beating this, as in a quick citadel for covenant, but the sheer amount of units is too over whelming for two UNSC to handle (Or 1 Covie and UNSC).
>
> Maybe I’ve forgotten how to beat this, but if anyone knows of strats of beating this (Without counter rushing as a double Covie) then please enlighten me. I’m just sick of the sheer amounts of people rushing in every single playlist. I knows its part of the game, but it comes to the point where you win if you hit first. Turrets just aren’t worth it, they should cost less (150 or 175) or be far stronger at first tier to at least be able to fend of a leader rush.
>
> Discuss.

first of all , i wouldnt suggest triple covy , mainly because covy cant really do anything against a gauss hog spam unless you are playing double or triple arby but even then you cant do much once the enemy unsc has 2/3 bases. But if you do go triple covy i would suggest that atleast one of your teammates is the arbiter and goes temple 3th to stay back and rage any hogs that come and harras your base. In the mean time the other 2 people on your team go temple second or first and try to keep down the unsc. If you succeed in keeping down the unsc you will win, because with triple covy you will win the air war for sure. The main problem here is to not let the unsc get to strong. Once he gets power turret /gauss or an second base up , its pretty much game over

Never tried this with 3 leaders, but I can manage to get at least 2 away if I use flamethrowers when Im UNSC. Along with a bit of help from a teammate. The flamethrowers take out the leaders pretty quick, though they can usually get away before they are completely dead.

It’s easy… but the best is double covie 1 UNSC…

Brute/ARby/Forge = easiest rush

Double Brute is pretty ridiculous, but also a triple brute can be un-goddly if you spam the right follow up units and pick your offensive targets well.

this is why you should start like,

build the folowing in order

UNSC: reactor, 2 pads, and a baraks

Covie: temple, wrehouses, and a hall

that way you can use jakals/flamers to kill leader rushes

Generally a good counter to covie rushes requires teamwork. What leaders do you and your 2 friends generally pick?

hey guys this is mlg semi pro: Twisted Venom, and I realize this is a very old thread but I would like to post some strats 4 the upcoming HW2…I would like to share a locust rush w/ Arbiter that is rated top lvl because of its lvl of aggressiveness and how deadly it is because of its speed and power combination. This is also the strat that got me noticed by mlg coach Predxtor. NOTE:…When rushing the primary focus should be economic damage because most rushes are counterable meaning that unless your opponent is amature lvl or lower u should not be able to steamroll. This Arbiter/locust rush worx well on blood gulch and is a most know if ur looking to compete on 1v1 TS 45 and up. The reason I play arbiter is that he complement rushes nicley because he is the unit that can take out there early units (if they have any…) Also note that suicide grunts are very viable for early defences like turrets because they absolutly shred locust to peices. If they have no turrets they can speed up the destruction of important buildings like barracks, VD’s, and AP’s. In any case always make them for an incase use…never assume unless uve scouted. Start of with temple first and three wherehouses. use ur ghost and arby to collect resources and immediatly send ur arby to clear out the reacors. ur going to want to upgrade ur wherehouses before making ur first unit production building which will be a barracks becaue u wana pop out two jackles for the supply and reactor hook. once ur 2 jackles finish destory ur barracks and start building a factory, and simutaniously upgrade ur base so that u can make a sheld gen. at this poisnt que up locust and 1 unit of suicide grunts while ur arb is on his way to the oppenants base. Note…ur sheild gen should be up before 4 mins and u should be attacking by 4:30, the only rush that is vaible before 5 mins for unsc is a warthog rush, but thats suicide against an arby and is easily counters so u will proably not see it. of course the suidide grunt is a just in 4 a turret but if anything use for the reacor because they r very strong. if u scouted and saw more than 1 turret which scouting should be done in 2:30 or less screw this build and go hunters or u can go sheild wraiths and make banshees or stick with hunters and just play the game normally which is also very good, but if u go hunters definitely make an airpad for vampires if nessecary. this build is vey strong 4 its early aggressivness and being able to get hooks fast but also its flexibility if ur opponent gos defensive which is likely against forge, which in that case u aalreasy have an economic and map control advantage because he wasted money on turrets. I did 4 get one thing, u can upgrade ur arby which is definitely reccomened and actually doesnt slow u down so for sure upgrade his normal attack because it gives him the 15 % dmg increase, then later on upgrade his special where he gains health…This build is week againt infantry builds because spartans can jack the locust soo be careful about that. if they throw down a D-bomb move ur arby asap so u can keep teleporting in locust. if they flamethrower spam u ur arby should be able to kill at least 7 with and without special but make sure and use locust to help because if ur arby dies u cant tele in more locust obviously lol So just realize no rush is perfect but this is a very strong strong rush. U shoulf always be aggressive for scouting purposes and map control but in the end realize that a rush is mainly meant to do economic dmg and make ur opponent react to u instead u following him. most ametures always try and steamroll which like i said usually doest work and leads to rage quiting. this rush is mainly meant to be uses againt unsc but it will work against covenant not as strong because they have there leader but the key is just using ur ghost to attack there sheild gen so it doesnt activate because anydamage to it wont alow it to pop up. I really hope this helps guys and plz let me know if u have any questions. I highly reccomend using the arby because like i said he easily counters warthogs, helps kill early enemy units, and suicide grunts are useful against turrets and reactors. my gamertag is Twisted Venom and ill happily help u with any questions. also: when attacking the enemy’s base kill defences first (turrest and units) then unit production building, after that reactors, and then main base. he will be able to produce warthogs but ur arby is in charge of that. always make sure and multi attack ur enemy…meaning ur arby kills while ur locust take down the base…plz comment and rate. thnx guys

Thanks for the post, Ogre, but I got lost half way down and couldn’t continue. Please use paragraph breaks. I’m sure your tips would be helpful if you did.

I found bieng paranoid works. Always assume you’re going to get rushed, build flamethrowers and turrets. Better yet, take the flamethrowers to the enemy base and disruption bomb and kill their leader before they can upgrade. Worked for me pretty much every time.

> hey guys this is mlg semi pro: Twisted Venom, and I realize this is a very old thread but I would like to post some strats 4 the upcoming HW2…I would like to share a locust rush w/ Arbiter that is rated top lvl because of its lvl of aggressiveness and how deadly it is because of its speed and power combination. This is also the strat that got me noticed by mlg coach Predxtor. NOTE:…
>
> When rushing the primary focus should be economic damage because most rushes are counterable meaning that unless your opponent is amature lvl or lower u should not be able to steamroll. This Arbiter/locust rush worx well on blood gulch and is a most know if ur looking to compete on 1v1 TS 45 and up. The reason I play arbiter is that he complement rushes nicley because he is the unit that can take out there early units (if they have any…)
>
> Also note that suicide grunts are very viable for early defences like turrets because they absolutly shred locust to peices. If they have no turrets they can speed up the destruction of important buildings like barracks, VD’s, and AP’s. In any case always make them for an incase use…never assume unless uve scouted.
>
> Start of with temple first and three wherehouses. use ur ghost and arby to collect resources and immediatly send ur arby to clear out the reacors. ur going to want to upgrade ur wherehouses before making ur first unit production building which will be a barracks becaue u wana pop out two jackles for the supply and reactor hook. once ur 2 jackles finish destory ur barracks and start building a factory, and simutaniously upgrade ur base so that u can make a sheld gen. at this poisnt que up locust and 1 unit of suicide grunts while ur arb is on his way to the oppenants base.
>
> Note…ur sheild gen should be up before 4 mins and u should be attacking by 4:30, the only rush that is vaible before 5 mins for unsc is a warthog rush, but thats suicide against an arby and is easily counters so u will proably not see it. of course the suidide grunt is a just in 4 a turret but if anything use for the reacor because they r very strong. if u scouted and saw more than 1 turret which scouting should be done in 2:30 or less screw this build and go hunters or u can go sheild wraiths and make banshees or stick with hunters and just play the game normally which is also very good, but if u go hunters definitely make an airpad for vampires if nessecary. this build is vey strong 4 its early aggressivness and being able to get hooks fast but also its flexibility if ur opponent gos defensive which is likely against forge, which in that case u aalreasy have an economic and map control advantage because he wasted money on turrets.
>
> I did 4 get one thing, u can upgrade ur arby which is definitely reccomened and actually doesnt slow u down so for sure upgrade his normal attack because it gives him the 15 % dmg increase, then later on upgrade his special where he gains health…This build is week againt infantry builds because spartans can jack the locust soo be careful about that. if they throw down a D-bomb move ur arby asap so u can keep teleporting in locust. if they flamethrower spam u ur arby should be able to kill at least 7 with and without special but make sure and use locust to help because if ur arby dies u cant tele in more locust obviously lol
>
> So just realize no rush is perfect but this is a very strong strong rush. U shoulf always be aggressive for scouting purposes and map control but in the end realize that a rush is mainly meant to do economic dmg and make ur opponent react to u instead u following him. most ametures always try and steamroll which like i said usually doest work and leads to rage quiting. this rush is mainly meant to be uses againt unsc but it will work against covenant not as strong because they have there leader but the key is just using ur ghost to attack there sheild gen so it doesnt activate because anydamage to it wont alow it to pop up. I really hope this helps guys and plz let me know if u have any questions.
>
> I highly reccomend using the arby because like i said he easily counters warthogs, helps kill early enemy units, and suicide grunts are useful against turrets and reactors. my gamertag is Twisted Venom and ill happily help u with any questions. also: when attacking the enemy’s base kill defences first (turrest and units) then unit production building, after that reactors, and then main base. he will be able to produce warthogs but ur arby is in charge of that. always make sure and multi attack ur enemy…meaning ur arby kills while ur locust take down the base…plz comment and rate. thnx guys

Fixed.

Slightly unrelated, but it might bring a smile to your face in light of covie rushes… Last night decide to play party 3v3 and mix it up a bit by all 3 of us playing the Prophet. Not being experienced with the covie leader as much as I’d like to be… we lost. So, we thought we’d try a different tactic. We all decided to go Cutter. Who are we paired up against? 3 Cutters. You bet boys and girls, 6 Cutters in a live match! It. was. awesome!

^Triple Mac Rush!

The only way to win as triple covy is to rush hard and cripple the other team to the point where the covy can spam air. However you can combat this by counter rushing or by playing hard defense but do not spam turrets as they will ruin your eco. Try building hogs, flamers, or using covy leader powers. Once you stop the rush have someone get anti air as soon as possible and you’ve won. Also triple mac rushing will almost never result in a win.

Triple Mac > any other strategy

Against this, there is really only one defense (unless you’re facing the Prophet)and that is to counter with Flamethrowers. I find that keeping my base locked down from the start tends to discourage rushes because my enemy doesn’t know how many units I have. When the rush comes, a bunch of Flamethrowers can wreck covie Infantry/Leaders. Break out your stored Flamethrowers and keep pumping out new ones until the attack breaks. A single player can hold off three covie rushes by doing this. For Covies, Jackals are jawdroppingly effective (they can rip an enemy leader to pieces in seconds).

simple rules to stopping a rush:
rush them back
generally an early game shield is bad as it costs you not just the 200 to build it but the 200 supplies per minute you would be getting with a supply pad, much better off getting citadel(and rushing them back)

now that being said, should you decide to try to play the defensive battle…unsc: warthogs AND flamethrowers,if you have 2 unsc, one can pretty easily counter the rush while the other builds up with this build:
supply pad
supply pad
reactor(get 4-5 gunner hogs)
barracks(spam flamers)
supply pad
the bane of this strat of course would be an arbitor or chieftain with their first leader power upgrade–if you face either of those, have your team mate drop a d-bomb just as your flamethrowers are getting close and ram with the warthogs at the same time so he cant just walk away…
DO NOT EVER attack a covy leader with less then 6 flamethrowers(if they want to kill those flamethrowers you’ll probably need around 10…

while this is happening assuming you have a second unsc…they MUST get tanks out
-as soon as the rush is fought off get canny asap,no canny means a prophet can harass,a good arby will kick your -Yoink- and thats without them bringing in other units…
-remember 2 last things:
–if your facing double covy you will almost certainly see both of them double pumping banchys so someone needs to get anti air
–if you play a defensive strategy and dont even attempt to harass their bases while they attack you, expect to lose unless they have no idea what their doing

1.start building anti-infantry at the start of the match
2.Start building Scorpion tanks at the start of the match
3.Rely on your teammates to help you.

If you see a Brigadier or General I advise you to start building an army fast because they tend to rush the most.

> 1.start building anti-infantry at the start of the match
> 2.Start building Scorpion tanks at the start of the match
> 3.Rely on your teammates to help you.
>
> If you see a Brigadier or General I advise you to start building an army fast because they tend to rush the most.

Expand early with UNSC.
Rush with you covie after you defend enemy rush.
Get quick powerturret & banshee/vampires.

(Depends on what enemy have)