Halo Wars: A newb's first impressions

I have owned Halo Wars for a while but never went online. I went online for the first time with HW so I thought that I’d throw out some misc. thoughts:

– Oddly there hasn’t been an ounce of trash talk … a refreshing change which makes going online less of an annoyance.

– Rushes aren’t soooooo bad. We have them in every RTS. My job and any other newb’s job is to learn to deal with it. I can now beat an “incompetent” rush and sometimes a decent WartHog rush [if I have Gremlin cheese]

– Forget what you learned playing the AI. As a matter of fact unless you routinely p-own legedary the odds are good that most of your time will be spent unlearning everything.

– I’m a really bad player but I’d be a thousand times worse if I hadn’t read some strategy articles. Find some [IIRC the old forum on the halo wars site is read-only with good posts there] and go over them.

– Scouting in the early & mid game is critical. Intel is [almost] everything.

– If you’re are 100% sure you have lost and it’s only a matter of time just resign, blow your base, whatever. Don’t waste your time or theirs.

– Play people that are better than you. You WILL pick up tricks and things you didn’t know.

– I wish there were fewer disconnects. I seem to have none on my end that I’m aware of but other folks have disconnected and gave me “wins” I sure didn’t earn. I’m always happy for a win but now I’m constantly playing folks easily better than me so that’s not so good.

It really is a lot of fun. I will disagree on one point and that is resigning when you know you are going to lose. A lot of the time I let them blow up my base so they can walk away with the points. And since many people are still going for the Running the Show achievement, why not give them some points?

> It really is a lot of fun. I will disagree on one point and that is resigning when you know you are going to lose. A lot of the time I let them blow up my base so they can walk away with the points. And since many people are still going for the Running the Show achievement, why not give them some points?

Or you could just blow up your base for them. If they’re generals it’s best to just resign, because they probably don’t need the points (unless they’re going for the 20,000 pts achievement).

All the OP’s points are relatively good. It takes a while to pick up all the tricks, but you never lose an RTS game because of luck. There’s always a reason, and if you pay attention, you learn more after each game. Halo Wars is my favorite video game of all time for that reason. Plus it’s just plain fun.

> I will disagree on one point and that is resigning when you know you are going to lose. A lot of the time I let them blow up my base so they can walk away with the points. And since many people are still going for the Running the Show achievement, why not give them some points?

Actually I currently do blow up my base so they theoretically get points for it. If I happen to have a Marine or two controlling a map local (hook??) [so the game doesn’t end instantly] then I’ll resign after I have no bases left.

If someone is unlucky enough to be down against me they can resign though … I don’t particularly care for points.

I do have a nit-to-pick with the matchmaking service though. When I had played my first 5 games or so I had a record of 1-4. Then with what I imagine is a single digit TrueSkill I was paired up with a guy with a great win % ; WAY over a thousand games ; and a TrueSkill of 41+. I can’t imagine how that game and the next one [paired up with same person] was fun for either of us.

At least I got to see what a [I imagine] good Brute rush looks like [build order, troops, etc. via what scouting I did] and post-game stats.

> It really is a lot of fun. I will disagree on one point and that is resigning when you know you are going to lose. A lot of the time I let them blow up my base so they can walk away with the points. And since many people are still going for the Running the Show achievement, why not give them some points?

blowing up your base or any building for that matter gives the other team the same amount of points as if they destroyed it them self.

I’d somewhat beg to differ on the luck thing, sometimes arby random rage dying can do that. happened to me today… starting raging at a base and arby decided to fuse with the base to create arby/base.

long story short… arby/base almost cost me the game.

> I’d somewhat beg to differ on the luck thing, sometimes arby random rage dying can do that. happened to me today… starting raging at a base and arby decided to fuse with the base to create arby/base.
>
> long story short… arby/base almost cost me the game.

It’s happened to me too. Sometimes the arby just decides to fuse with a nice patch of dirt. Sometimes he likes to jump off cliffs and die, other times he decides to go to the enemy’s home base, which is nice of him. He’s quite the schizophrenic fellow.