Halo Wars 2 VS Halo Wars (1)

I’ve been playing Halo Wars, and I like it. It is challenging at first adjusting to a new gameplay type. I’m getting an Xbox One again soon and will be getting Halo Wars 2. What are your thoughts on Halo Wars 2? Did you like it just as much as the first? Is it “Pay to Win”?

Thanks for your thoughts.

It isn’t pay2win unless you play blitz, the game mode used for blitz is available in normal pvp, so you can still play all the modes without the pay2win aspect. The game itself is meh. It is okay. Just okay. There are more units in it, which is the only upside of HW2 compared to HW. The implementation of the leader power wheel for every single leader and the way they implemented spartans and leader units and leader powers are worse than in HW1 in my opinion, though others may disagree. All together it is a solid game, just different from HW1 altogether.

> 2533274831762284;1:
> I’ve been playing Halo Wars, and I like it. It is challenging at first adjusting to a new gameplay type. I’m getting an Xbox One again soon and will be getting Halo Wars 2. What are your thoughts on Halo Wars 2? Did you like it just as much as the first? Is it “Pay to Win”?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

I’m being honest, if you liked Halo Wars 1 and haven’t seen anything for Halo Wars 2 prepare for your whole Halo Wars experience to be turned upside down, and in a good way! The game is VERY complex, it improves on everything the last game did and added some new things including the blitz mode. It does depend on levels of your cards and therefore it is technically “PTW”(Pay To Win) however 343 has included a blitz mode that makes every card the same level negating the PTW thing with blitz. In short I LOVED Halo Wars 2 and you should too. Oh and did I mention the campaign, yeah that’s good too. Make sure to get “Awakening the Nightmare” expansion for the campaign.

Halo wars 2 is so much fun

Cool, look forward to playing it soon.

In multiplayer I prefer HW2 but in Campaing I think that HW1 is better.

Well, the blitz gamemode is pay to win, but Terminus Firefight & Skirmish aren’t and there very fun with all the leaders.
By the way get the Complete Edition of HW2 it’s a steal

> 2535416010022389;7:
> Well, the blitz gamemode is pay to win, but Terminus Firefight & Skirmish aren’t and there very fun with all the leaders.
> By the way get the Complete Edition of HW2 it’s a steal

I shall get the complete edition in a month(ish)!
Feel free to add me on Live if you’d like to play; TromboneGuy360

I happen to think that the original far outclasses 2, but I understand that my opinion is quite unpopular.

> 2535431243595189;3:
> > 2533274831762284;1:
> >
>
> I’m being honest, if you liked Halo Wars 1 and haven’t seen anything for Halo Wars 2 prepare for your whole Halo Wars experience to be turned upside down, and in a good way! The game is VERY complex, it improves on everything the last game did and added some new things including the blitz mode. It does depend on levels of your cards and therefore it is technically “PTW”(Pay To Win) however 343 has included a blitz mode that makes every card the same level negating the PTW thing with blitz. In short I LOVED Halo Wars 2 and you should too. Oh and did I mention the campaign, yeah that’s good too. Make sure to get “Awakening the Nightmare” expansion for the campaign.

Eh… It’s not that complex. You could argue that for a Console RTS it is, but overall it’s not really. It’s certainly more complex than the original, but still, that’s like saying it’s more complex than 1 + 1 = 2.

And we all know everyone got AtN for two OP leaders, not the missions :wink:

> 2533274830489835;9:
> I happen to think that the original far outclasses 2, but I understand that my opinion is quite unpopular.

The original definitely had some strong gameplay elements that made it amazingly fun. Ill never argue that HW1 wasn’t a good game. I think it did a better job with creating a narrative for the main campaign and it had more character in its maps for multiplayer. In unfortunately there are a lot of balance issues with the units in multiplayer and in the maps that favor one side way too favorably from the get go.
I will always love HW1 but I play HW mostly for the competitive multiplayer aspect and I think HW2 did a significantly better job overall with it.

Both are great and highly recommended them!

> 2533274840245702;11:
> > 2533274830489835;9:
> > I happen to think that the original far outclasses 2, but I understand that my opinion is quite unpopular.
>
> The original definitely had some strong gameplay elements that made it amazingly fun. Ill never argue that HW1 wasn’t a good game. I think it did a better job with creating a narrative for the main campaign and it had more character in its maps for multiplayer. In unfortunately there are a lot of balance issues with the units in multiplayer and in the maps that favor one side way too favorably from the get go.
> I will always love HW1 but I play HW mostly for the competitive multiplayer aspect and I think HW2 did a significantly better job overall with it.

I’ve always argued that HW 2 has worse balance. Right now, the balance is okay now that the exploit is gone. But Arby and Forge are still obvious issues. As for maps in HW 1, there weren’t that many that were unfair. Release and Barrens are nearly unwinnable for a Prophet/Brute player against any UNSC, but aside from that I don’t complain.

Even if by the end of this game’s support they somehow manage to balance the game appropriately, the original can still claim to have more dynamic factions. The difference between UNSC and Covenant is startlingly large, but the difference between UNSC and Banished is negligible. CA obviously simplified the faction dynamics to make the game easier to balance. But… They still managed to put the game in spots where ranked is absolutely unplayable for multiple seasons. Cough Forge/Voridus/Colony Cough

Oftentimes, people like to tell me to take off my nostalgia glasses. But I never stopped playing Wars 1.

> 2533274830489835;13:
> > 2533274840245702;11:
> > > 2533274830489835;9:
> > >
>
> I’ve always argued that HW 2 has worse balance. Right now, the balance is okay now that the exploit is gone. But Arby and Forge are still obvious issues. As for maps in HW 1, there weren’t that many that were unfair. Release and Barrens are nearly unwinnable for a Prophet/Brute player against any UNSC, but aside from that I don’t complain.
>
> Even if by the end of this game’s support they somehow manage to balance the game appropriately, the original can still claim to have more dynamic factions. The difference between UNSC and Covenant is startlingly large, but the difference between UNSC and Banished is negligible. CA obviously simplified the faction dynamics to make the game easier to balance. But… They still managed to put the game in spots where ranked is absolutely unplayable for multiple seasons. Cough Forge/Voridus/Colony Cough
>
> Oftentimes, people like to tell me to take off my nostalgia glasses. But I never stopped playing Wars 1.

Release and barrens are winnable for brute/prophet. your suppose to keep unsc on 1 base with wraiths or if your brute you can play hogs vs brutes and win on better micro.

Halo Wars 1 was too simple but casual and Halo Wars 2 stays casual but adds more. It’s a rare instance for 2017 when the next game adds more and doesn’t go backwards. I feel like this game is underrated compared to games like battlefront 2 and COD:WW2. but RTS isn’t popular too much these days and such. At least there’s a community of RTS players though :smiley: you guys rock

> 2533274831762284;1:
> I’ve been playing Halo Wars, and I like it. It is challenging at first adjusting to a new gameplay type. I’m getting an Xbox One again soon and will be getting Halo Wars 2. What are your thoughts on Halo Wars 2? Did you like it just as much as the first? Is it “Pay to Win”?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

Like most sequels, some parts are better, some are worse. Overall it’s a very fun game, and worth your time. You’ll still probably mix in HW1 every now and then, because they are different enough to warrant playing both.

> 2533274855353246;14:
> > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > 2533274840245702;11:
> > >
>
> Release and barrens are winnable for brute/prophet. your suppose to keep unsc on 1 base with wraiths or if your brute you can play hogs vs brutes and win on better micro.

Release is winnable if the UNSC makes the mistake of not ramming the Brutes before they teleport. Barrens is a much worse map. Wraiths aren’t advisable because Anders can get one of the reactors and she already has Gremlins.

> 2533274830489835;17:
> > 2533274855353246;14:
> > > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > > 2533274840245702;11:
> > > >
> >
> > Release and barrens are winnable for brute/prophet. your suppose to keep unsc on 1 base with wraiths or if your brute you can play hogs vs brutes and win on better micro.
>
> Release is winnable if the UNSC makes the mistake of not ramming the Brutes before they teleport. Barrens is a much worse map. Wraiths aren’t advisable because Anders can get one of the reactors and she already has Gremlins.

on release if they camp your teleport you lock your base until you have more brutes than hogs. you should have weakened some hogs with your leader. if prophet your fine with wraiths.
on barrens they don’t get in the reactor because your on there base or you can sit in mid and hold the healing spire with brutes and wraiths. anders cant go gremlins bc they are on 1 base and have to choose hogs or gremlins and you can go brutes and wraiths. as prophet on barrens I recommend the tech 1 upgrade with 1 turret and go factory 5th after 3-5 wraiths for the hogs you can start to push across the map if they got the reactor go summit and go banshees. you probably don’t even need banshees bc your prophet can just snipe gremlins(repeating cannon is really good in this situation). its just if unsc gets tech 3 and your still on tech 1 your going to have a hard time. on second thought mass wraith is just better even if they have gremlins, you can get full pop in no time and as long as you don’t let unsc do what they want your fine.

> 2533274855353246;18:
> > 2533274830489835;17:
> > > 2533274855353246;14:
> > > > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > > > 2533274840245702;11:
> > > > >
>
> on release if they camp your teleport you lock your base until you have more brutes than hogs. you should have weakened some hogs with your leader. if prophet your fine with wraiths.
> on barrens they don’t get in the reactor because your on there base or you can sit in mid and hold the healing spire with brutes and wraiths. anders cant go gremlins bc they are on 1 base and have to choose hogs or gremlins and you can go brutes and wraiths. as prophet on barrens I recommend the tech 1 upgrade with 1 turret and go factory 5th after 3-5 wraiths for the hogs you can start to push across the map if they got the reactor go summit and go banshees. you probably don’t even need banshees bc your prophet can just snipe gremlins(repeating cannon is really good in this situation). its just if unsc gets tech 3 and your still on tech 1 your going to have a hard time. on second thought mass wraith is just better even if they have gremlins, you can get full pop in no time and as long as you don’t let unsc do what they want your fine.

The problem is that if you wait, they’ll knock down your pads. Your leader will be sitting on their base doing negligible damage, and if you recall you’ve got a minute walk back. Even if you’ve got more Brutes than Hogs, all they have to do is kite you. Hogs will beat Brutes every time. The thing that makes them deadly is when the Chieftain is with them and Vortexing Hogs while the Brutes deal damage to pads.

On Barrens, you’ve got the same problem but worse because of the fact that the walk to the enemy base is even longer. All they have to do is get eyes on a reactor and then pelican a couple marines, so even if you have your leader mid-map, they can completely ignore you. Of course they can’t build Hogs and Gremlins at the same time, but they can open with 5 or so Hogs and then transition. Really, all they need is a couple Grems to stun-jack you. It’s not as if they need a lot of them. Also, after throwing up a turret or two, going Brutes and Wraiths can be a stretch economically since there are no supply hooks. Especially if you want to upgrade Vortex.

> 2533274830489835;19:
> > 2533274855353246;18:
> > > 2533274830489835;17:
> > > > 2533274855353246;14:
> > > > > 2533274830489835;13:
> > > > > > 2533274840245702;11:
> > > > > >
> >
> > on release if they camp your teleport you lock your base until you have more brutes than hogs. you should have weakened some hogs with your leader. if prophet your fine with wraiths.
> > on barrens they don’t get in the reactor because your on there base or you can sit in mid and hold the healing spire with brutes and wraiths. anders cant go gremlins bc they are on 1 base and have to choose hogs or gremlins and you can go brutes and wraiths. as prophet on barrens I recommend the tech 1 upgrade with 1 turret and go factory 5th after 3-5 wraiths for the hogs you can start to push across the map if they got the reactor go summit and go banshees. you probably don’t even need banshees bc your prophet can just snipe gremlins(repeating cannon is really good in this situation). its just if unsc gets tech 3 and your still on tech 1 your going to have a hard time. on second thought mass wraith is just better even if they have gremlins, you can get full pop in no time and as long as you don’t let unsc do what they want your fine.
>
> The problem is that if you wait, they’ll knock down your pads. Your leader will be sitting on their base doing negligible damage, and if you recall you’ve got a minute walk back. Even if you’ve got more Brutes than Hogs, all they have to do is kite you. Hogs will beat Brutes every time. The thing that makes them deadly is when the Chieftain is with them and Vortexing Hogs while the Brutes deal damage to pads.
>
> On Barrens, you’ve got the same problem but worse because of the fact that the walk to the enemy base is even longer. All they have to do is get eyes on a reactor and then pelican a couple marines, so even if you have your leader mid-map, they can completely ignore you. Of course they can’t build Hogs and Gremlins at the same time, but they can open with 5 or so Hogs and then transition. Really, all they need is a couple Grems to stun-jack you. It’s not as if they need a lot of them. Also, after throwing up a turret or two, going Brutes and Wraiths can be a stretch economically since there are no supply hooks. Especially if you want to upgrade Vortex.

ill just have to show you sometime. like hogs trade well with brutes(when I play vs Barcelona his hogs beat my brutes and if I’m unsc his brutes beat my hogs, its all micro). wraiths don’t get jacked when you have at least 3 and a brute or prophet next to them. you can actually pump wraiths and brutes at the same time off a keep its just you want citadel after the 5th wraith if you haven’t killed the unsc yet.
barrens unsc really shouldn’t be allowed to pelican to the reactor. if they do you better have had a reactor.