Halo Wars 2 Story Discussion (Spoilers)!

I want to get feedback from the Halo community on the story line of the game (thoughts, opinions, reactions). Leave a comment on what you liked/disliked the most and what input you have. Below I offer my perspective of the game. Do you agree/disagree? What else does the community have to say?

So, I have just completed the campaign and I have to say it came off better than I hoped. Although I do prefer HW1 story over this game, it still kept my attention. The game play was relatively the same for me, which is a good thing since there wasn’t a need to learn a new UI for the game. I’m not a huge fan of 343 and I’m not sure if they had any help in the story telling, but overall I was left satisfied and a little pissed.

Games End
By the end of the game, I was left with the same feeling that Halo 2’s ending left me with all those years ago; a bit pissed and ready to throw my keyboard at my screen. I assume with the ending, they left us with a possible HW3 or a mashup of this story with a future Halo installment; either way works for me. What I was upset with was when I realized there wasn’t going to be this final boss battle with Atriox at the helm. I kind of wish I would have seen some more Spartan fighting with him; which actually brings me to my next point.

Cut-scenes*/ or lack thereof*
Is it just me, or am I the only one not okay with the lack of cut scenes; especially this day and age where the cinematics continue to grow. This, along with the fact that HW1 was known for its beautiful cut scenes, kind of let me down. I always looked forward to these in Halo. It felt like every mission I completed, I was being rewarded with some nice action scenes. I don’t know why they decided with this approach, but if anyone has an idea as to why, feel free to post a link.

Spartan/Isabel
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it was Jerome on that carrier with Isabel right? When that cinematic with them showed up, the first thing that came to mind was, “wow, these two would make a cool spartan-AI tandem like Chief and Cortana”. Maybe it would be a cool side story if they decided to create that new tandem with these two. Just my opinion, though. What do you guys think? Jerome is still the young Spartan(due to cryo-sleep) we left back in HW1 and I’m not sure when Isabel started service, but I doubt she’s in the latter part of her operating years. (Yes I know Chief and Blue team have been in cryo-sleep, but not as long as Red team).

Fate of SOF
Okay, so I CAN NOT be the only one who thought of this at least once. Does anyone else think that the ship and its crew are headed for their doom, not even reaching some happy ending? Everything so far tells me that this ship isn’t supposed to make it back home…like ever. From spending 28 years adrift in space, known to the rest of the UNSC as MIA, to them being stranded above the Ark by the end of HW2, it seems like their story is somehow destined to remain a mystery to the galaxy and unknown to their allies back home; sort of like the unsung hero of the Halo story. Fighting all of these crucial battles that turn the tides of the war in humanities favor, all the while the rest of mankind unaware of any of the events. And now, they are left with whatever little supplies and small force they have against a pissed Atriox and his army…way outside of the Milky Way Galaxy. Hf with that.

Post Credits/Anders
With this point, I do need some help and feedback on the cut scene after the credits. Anders and the ring apparently prematurely jumped out of slip-space and into some part of the galaxy which wasn’t her destination. Like I said earlier, I am not a huge fan of 343, so I never played Halo 5 and never got to know its story. I haven’t even touched upon the novels ever since their takeover, so maybe someone who has can tell me what Anders was facing and as to why you think it happened. Here’s my theory, but I might be way off, so please enlighten me on the subject. I can only assume that giant thing was the Guardian (or something) and that maybe Cortana stopped the ring from traveling? [I know that Halo 5’s end had Cortana go on full ‘Skynet’ (Terminator reference for those unfamiliar) and we assume she controls an Installation or something of that sort]. Anything post Halo 4, I have little knowledge on so please fill me in if you can.

This would also be a good time to ask as to how the SOF was brought to the Ark as I don’t remember anything in the campaign that explained it. Is there something in the books or Halo 5 that would help explain any of this? I would also like to know if 343 Guilty Spark fits into any of this. I remember reading somewhere that he had somehow survived and made an escape.

What are your reactions to the Campaign of HW2? What are your reactions to my reaction? Does anyone have answers? Comment. Discuss. Let’s get the community talking.

> 2533274818143562;1:
> __Cut-scenes*/ or lack thereof*__Is it just me, or am I the only one not okay with the lack of cut scenes; especially this day and age where the cinematics continue to grow. This, along with the fact that HW1 was known for its beautiful cut scenes, kind of let me down. I always looked forward to these in Halo. It felt like every mission I completed, I was being rewarded with some nice action scenes. I don’t know why they decided with this approach, but if anyone has an idea as to why, feel free to post a link.

No, you’re not the only one. I was surprised that I already saw half of the cutscenes before the game released, I mean I thought there will be 1 hour of cutscenes but I was wrong.
Secondly, action scenes…well…this is where I feel a bit of angry.

Remember the scene where Jerome and Isabel went for destroy the Banished ship? Remember that all we saw from that -Yoinking!- scene were flashes? Are you serious? Using such a nice technic to create beautfil scenes and all we’ve got from a Spartan II fight against Elites and Brutes, were flashes? Instead I had to watch for minutes how the drones hit the ship and tear it apart…Sorry, but who was that -Yoink- who decided that this is great?It would be so cool to see how Spartan II’s fight, by using CGI and then I almost cried, because they wasted a good chance to please the fans.
Next time - please - if you show Locke as he fight, show that in flashes okay? Facepalm…

> 2533274989165227;2:
> > 2533274818143562;1:
> > __Cut-scenes*/ or lack thereof*__Is it just me, or am I the only one not okay with the lack of cut scenes; especially this day and age where the cinematics continue to grow. This, along with the fact that HW1 was known for its beautiful cut scenes, kind of let me down. I always looked forward to these in Halo. It felt like every mission I completed, I was being rewarded with some nice action scenes. I don’t know why they decided with this approach, but if anyone has an idea as to why, feel free to post a link.
>
> No, you’re not the only one. I was surprised that I already saw half of the cutscenes before the game released, I mean I thought there will be 1 hour of cutscenes but I was wrong.
> Secondly, action scenes…well…this is where I feel a bit of angry.
> Remember the scene where Jerome and Isabel went for destroy the Banished ship? Remember that all we saw from that -Yoinking!- scene were flashes? Are you serious? Using such a nice technic to create beautfil scenes and all we’ve got from a Spartan II fight against Elites and Brutes, were flashes? Instead I had to watch for minutes how the drones hit the ship and tear it apart…Sorry, but who was that -Yoink- who decided that this is great?It would be so cool to see how Spartan II’s fight, by using CGI and then I almost cried, because they wasted a good chance to please the fans.
> Next time - please - if you show Locke as he fight, show that in flashes okay? Facepalm…

Haha, I couldn’t agree more. HW1 Spartan fighting was so badass, I felt like HW2 took a step back and said, “nah you’ve had enough”. I do hope they rethink this later.