Halo Wars 2 multiplayer

I’m sure there are other people out there that are just as annoyed as I am that we aren’t going to get a new Halo Wars, but despite that it’s always nice to get other people’s ideas. What would you guys like for there to be in multiplayer for Halo Wars 2 (just pretend here)? For example something that I think would be cool is to add seperate sections to individual units, such as a warthog being seperated into 3 units as the gauss, rocket, or chaingun. Another unit could be the falcon being seperated into gattling turret, grenade launcher, or a transport. Feel free to add other features you think would be cool and have fun.

Great idea - I think it would be neat to add a ‘hero-type’ unit to the ODST squad at the highest tier. Like Buck or something.

Make playable flood for sure.

And add a Forerunner race too. It would be neat.

I really just want to see the departure from a fixed base and make it so you can make buildings wherever.

A Halo Wars 2 would be great, but let them do Halo 4 first. I haven’t seen anything where they said they weren’t going to make a Halo Wars 2.

Flood playabe! That would be great. I think there should be fixed bases with more health, and unfixed bases with less health. Turrets would be nice too. And make veterans a bit stronger.

But one thing I would REALLY love, space battles!

> A Halo Wars 2 would be great, but let them do Halo 4 first. I haven’t seen anything where they said they weren’t going to make a Halo Wars 2.

I disagree. They JUST came out with Reach. I think HW2 would be a good break between FPS games.

If we’re talking about some ideal reality and not what would be manageable to pro

One possibility would be to go back and refine the E3 2007 engine, but I think the game is better off with the simplicity of a 1 base structure.

Balance the units so that all of them are useful if used correctly and under the right circumstances. The only units people use in 2v2 and 3v3 these days are tanks, banshees, vamps, hogs and maybe some jackals/hunters in rare circumstances. (There’s also the locust rush, but they’re a Sh*t unit late game.)

I’d like to see branching upgrade trees. Say you can either give your jackals beam rifle OR supreme gauntlet, etc. (To change it you’d have to go back and research the other one). This would add a lot more depth to the strategy as you can, for instance, make infantry w/ ani-air capabilities to counter an Air/anit-vehicle combo your enemy is using. Etc. Plus you wouldn’t just know what to build depending upon what buildings you see your enemy having. You could build tanks to counter their infantry, but maybe they upgraded their grunt squads with plasma-cannons (the anti-infantry upgrade), so your tanks get crushed. But this would make the enemy’s grunt squads extremely susceptible to air. You get the picture.

You could have canister shell (anti infantry)/Armor Piercing Rounds (anti vehicle) upgrades for your tanks, but no anti air upgrades, etc. This would allow for a lot more interesting combos, though it would take a bit more effort to balance out in a beta period.

Lol Canister is Anti everything apart from Air units.

> If we’re talking about some ideal reality and not what would be manageable to pro
>
> One possibility would be to go back and refine the E3 2007 engine, but I think the game is better off with the simplicity of a 1 base structure.
>
> #1
>
> Balance the units so that all of them are useful if used correctly and under the right circumstances. The only units people use in 2v2 and 3v3 these days are tanks, banshees, vamps, hogs and maybe some jackals/hunters in rare circumstances. (There’s also the locust rush, but they’re a Sh*t unit late game.)
>
> #2
>
> I’d like to see branching upgrade trees. Say you can either give your jackals beam rifle OR supreme gauntlet, etc. (To change it you’d have to go back and research the other one). This would add a lot more depth to the strategy as you can, for instance, make infantry w/ ani-air capabilities to counter an Air/anit-vehicle combo your enemy is using. Etc. Plus you wouldn’t just know what to build depending upon what buildings you see your enemy having. You could build tanks to counter their infantry, but maybe they upgraded their grunt squads with plasma-cannons (the anti-infantry upgrade), so your tanks get crushed. But this would make the enemy’s grunt squads extremely susceptible to air. You get the picture.
>
> You could have canister shell (anti infantry)/Armor Piercing Rounds (anti vehicle) upgrades for your tanks, but no anti air upgrades, etc. This would allow for a lot more interesting combos, though it would take a bit more effort to balance out in a beta period.

> If we’re talking about some ideal reality and not what would be manageable to pro
>
> One possibility would be to go back and refine the E3 2007 engine, but I think the game is better off with the simplicity of a 1 base structure.
>
> #1
>
> Balance the units so that all of them are useful if used correctly and under the right circumstances. The only units people use in 2v2 and 3v3 these days are tanks, banshees, vamps, hogs and maybe some jackals/hunters in rare circumstances. (There’s also the locust rush, but they’re a Sh*t unit late game.)
>
> #2
>
> I’d like to see branching upgrade trees. Say you can either give your jackals beam rifle OR supreme gauntlet, etc. (To change it you’d have to go back and research the other one). This would add a lot more depth to the strategy as you can, for instance, make infantry w/ ani-air capabilities to counter an Air/anit-vehicle combo your enemy is using. Etc. Plus you wouldn’t just know what to build depending upon what buildings you see your enemy having. You could build tanks to counter their infantry, but maybe they upgraded their grunt squads with plasma-cannons (the anti-infantry upgrade), so your tanks get crushed. But this would make the enemy’s grunt squads extremely susceptible to air. You get the picture.
>
> You could have canister shell (anti infantry)/Armor Piercing Rounds (anti vehicle) upgrades for your tanks, but no anti air upgrades, etc. This would allow for a lot more interesting combos, though it would take a bit more effort to balance out in a beta period.

Maybe something along with that, if you could have an upgrade chain along the line of super powers like say Forge’s carpet bomb. One upgrade could be a chain of Napalm upgrade for anti-infintry, a regular carpet bomb for anti-vehicle, or something like a bouncing betty from WaW.

> Maybe something along with that, if you could have an upgrade chain along the line of super powers like say Forge’s carpet bomb. One upgrade could be a chain of Napalm upgrade for anti-infintry, a regular carpet bomb for anti-vehicle, or something like a bouncing betty from WaW.

Yeah, the more options the better. I think just having modifications to existing units would be great insomuch as it multiplies the number of strategies one can use, but also limits the amount of buildings. You should just have a field armory/something equivalent for covenant for all the upgrades. You could also make the upgrades cause the units to cost slightly more when they have them, which would give players an option to go for an early un-upgraded rush and then specialize. (Of course existing units would have to return to base or something to get refitted with the upgrades, otherwise everyone would just build their army first.)

@Garner: Yeah, but it shouldn’t be. Think about it; it’s basically just a bunch of shrapnel so it shouldn’t logically have that much of an effect on armored units.

I think they could keep the base system HW already has and manage this with the buildings they already have (although I’d personally add a mongoose and ghost the the base production of the Covy/UNSC respectively for scouting, and move the warthog to the Vehicle depot + give the Covenant the Revenant or Specter as an equivalent in the factory. Warthogs are a little OP for something that just comes out of the base itself.

I’d also eliminate the teleport pads (except maybe for leader recalls) for the covenant and just give them a Phantom/Spirit dropship that would work like the Pelican.

I have mixed feelings about the leaders. If they were to keep the covenant leaders then they should also buff up the UNSC leaderpowers to match. But the way I envision it the game would be more centered on macro skill than micro, as the strategy would be more based on economy and unit selection/upgrades, so I’m not sure if there would be as much of a need for leaders. Maybe each leader should be more defined by his/her/its special units and econ bonus, with less of an emphasis on the covenant heroes. Feel free to flame me on this point and explain why I am wrong though.

Anti-air Wraiths (needler turret instead of plasma mortar)
Anti-vehicle Wraiths (fuel rod turret instead)
Anti-infantry Wraiths (normal wraiths)

Sprint Ability for Hunters

Mongoose instead of hogs for UNSC scout

Make Covenant leader abilities unusable near bases enemy bases.

Just get rid of Locusts, make ghosts buildable out of core, and make Scarabs from your Temple.

More urban maps with garrisonable buildings, and lots of hooks on maps. Also more free-building slots.