Halo Wars 2 keeps crashing at start screen due to Widows 11

Microsoft Answer Techs have concluded that it is a Windows 11 issue. I know that support has ended for the game, but hoping I can still play it again. I like this game.

Hardware is compatible. Drivers, Windows and Apps are up-to-date.

Have tried all the troubleshooting steps. Windows Reset, Reinstalling apps.

Tried to reinstall the Gaming Services:

• Windows PowerShell (Run as administrator)
  • In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter: get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
  • In the same window, type the following command and press Enter: start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
  • Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt
  • Restart your device

Then did the following steps:

• Apps & features > Xbox > Advanced options
  • Repair
  • Reset

Have reinstalled the game 3 times and even tried installing on a different drive. Can’t use it, even after Windows reset.

1 Like

I have purchased the game (Halo Wars 2: Complete Edition) and I have an active PC Game Pass subscription. Still the game is unplayable.

1 Like

I hope 343 check it this forum someday and resolve these problems

2 Likes

Finally resolved it. Make sure to reset your PC after upgrading to Windows 11, otherwise use a fresh installation of Windows 11. The game needs to be installed in internal drive. Games can run from external drives from other platforms but not the games from Microsoft Store / Xbox App / PC Game Pass. Windows 11 probably received some updates that were causing issues earlier with games.

1 Like

PCs have great performance but are difficult. Congratulations on your resolution! Amazing