Halo Wars 2 Art Style Praise Taken Too Literally?

Before I start, I know this sounds like just mindless complaining, I think the game play for infinite looks like it could be the best we’ve ever had. And I like the idea of the open worldish vibe they have going on.

Everyone loved HW2 art style so 343 make Infinite have the same style, makes sense. I am one of the people who do like HW2 art style however I’ve always thought it looked a little too cartoony but just assumed that it because it was a RTS game that must have been pretty hard to get running so it was an okay trade off for me. Having seen Infinite now though it looks like they’ve gone all in on HW2 cartoony/plastic look, I don’t think the community wanted that. Honestly if this had a more gritty look I would have nothing but good things to say about it, but when H5 looks more gritty than this we have a problem haha.

honestly the banished phantom just looks like the mega blocks toy in the game, I cringe every time I see it.

I don’t want to be just raging in 343, they are trying and like I say game play looks sick but with 4 months to go till launch I don’t think this is something they’re going to be able to change!

Let me know what you guys think.

My first reaction was “Is this the canceled Megablox game?”.

Straight up looks like Minecraft and Fortnight had a baby.

Fingers crossed they can tweak it a bit and make it look a little less like Lego haha

I like the designs but everything needs more dirt/scratches etc.

I keep thinking this is just a bad joke. A enormous, tasteless, bad joke.

Everyone loved Halo Wars 1 aesthetics. Was just Halo, made RTS. Halo Wars 2 was some kind of redemption with the cartoony look, very exaggerated, almost comic, but was… Like… Ok, it’s just a spin-off. They’re trying to… Make Halo Wars saga has its own style? Dunno. I mean, Halo Wars 2 was released not much more than a year later than Halo 5. The style was probably decided much earlier than any kind of… Reengaged hate for the realistic aesthetics.

But now there it is. The first teaser of Infinite was like, woah, that Master Chief. The first teaser of Slipspace was like, woah, insanely detailed. And aesthetics looking after the original trilogy. And now, surprise! We have been working in this engine for 5 years, it suddenly looks worse than the vast majority of AAA of this generation with good graphics, and we took the hyper-deformed, strange aesthetics of Halo Wars 2.

This is nuts. This is absolutely outrageous. I’m a big fan of Halo. I’ve played them for thousands of hours, you can check my gamertag. I have every legendary edition, artbooks… And after 5 yeras of wait and the promise of the biggest Halo, with the best graphics and the classic aesthetics… We have this thing that is graphically dated and with that uneatable Halo Wars 2 aesthetics.

They just killed Halo. Halo 4 and 5 were disappointing in some ways, I think they just focused in the wrong things. Halo 4 was focused on story, more realistic graphics, Call of Duty style perks… AI quality was missing. Halo 5 found redemption in the competitive multiplayer, and the campaign had better style but still the AI was disappointing, no epic moments, that scripted kraken… They focused in the coop which again wasn’t the point.

Now they focused… In what? What we have seen looks… Pointless. Effortless. It looks like made by some third party studio in a couple of years. This is the biggest disappoint I’ve had in my gamer life.

Halo 5- Covenant vehicles had redesigns to be sleek to resemble creatures of Sanghelios. Phantom and Spirit especially.

Halo infinite- Blocks lol

> 2649215673672804;4:
> I like the designs but everything needs more dirt/scratches etc.

This. For such a dire war, that AR looked brand new.

I’ve calmed down after my initial reaction and am actually super excited for this game now. Sure it looks a bit cartoony and off but this is the first game on the slipspace engine and we know there will be many many more. This is the start of the spiritual reboot of the franchise. If they nail gameplay and story, which they look to be doing, then I’m okay with the art style only being at 75% perfection. Its a MASSIVE LEAP over Halo 5’s art style and direction and if some things look overly clean, shiny and cartoony then whatever, its not that big of a deal. In time everything will get ironed out. Thats my take on it. No one hits a perfect 100 on the first try and 343 are slowly but surely getting to the right spot. Story…check, gameplay…mostly check, art style…almost perfect but still a little ways to go. The BR and sword look perfect, chief looks perfect, marines are perfect, enemies and enemy vehicles look cartoony and there’s not enough blood. We can work with that.

The art style in HW2 was horrid. I can’t believe anyone thought it was good for a Halo game.

> 2533274838567478;5:
> I keep thinking this is just a bad joke. A enormous, tasteless, bad joke.
>
> Everyone loved Halo Wars 1 aesthetics. Was just Halo, made RTS. Halo Wars 2 was some kind of redemption with the cartoony look, very exaggerated, almost comic, but was… Like… Ok, it’s just a spin-off. They’re trying to… Make Halo Wars saga has its own style? Dunno. I mean, Halo Wars 2 was released not much more than a year later than Halo 5. The style was probably decided much earlier than any kind of… Reengaged hate for the realistic aesthetics.
>
> But now there it is. The first teaser of Infinite was like, woah, that Master Chief. The first teaser of Slipspace was like, woah, insanely detailed. And aesthetics looking after the original trilogy. And now, surprise! We have been working in this engine for 5 years, it suddenly looks worse than the vast majority of AAA of this generation with good graphics, and we took the hyper-deformed, strange aesthetics of Halo Wars 2.
>
> This is nuts. This is absolutely outrageous. I’m a big fan of Halo. I’ve played them for thousands of hours, you can check my gamertag. I have every legendary edition, artbooks… And after 5 yeras of wait and the promise of the biggest Halo, with the best graphics and the classic aesthetics… We have this thing that is graphically dated and with that uneatable Halo Wars 2 aesthetics.
>
> They just killed Halo. Halo 4 and 5 were disappointing in some ways, I think they just focused in the wrong things. Halo 4 was focused on story, more realistic graphics, Call of Duty style perks… AI quality was missing. Halo 5 found redemption in the competitive multiplayer, and the campaign had better style but still the AI was disappointing, no epic moments, that scripted kraken… They focused in the coop which again wasn’t the point.
>
> Now they focused… In what? What we have seen looks… Pointless. Effortless. It looks like made by some third party studio in a couple of years. This is the biggest disappoint I’ve had in my gamer life.

I don’t think they’ve killed halo, like I am disappointed with the graphics and hope they can do more before the game comes out but the gameplay looks solid and open world looks cool. Games don’t have to be pretty to be good but I was just hoping this would be both haha!