Halo vs Assassins Creed

Hey guys!
I’ve been doing this project for quite some time now regarding Graphics and its importance in a game. I honestly don’t think that graphics makes a game but that is just my opinion.
So I decided to compare two games, Halo combat evolved (original, not the anniversary edition)and Assassins Creed Rogue, the reason being that Rogue has significantly better graphics due to the industry’s technology gap but still scores a 6.8 on IGN whereas Halo CE scores a whopping 9.7.
So here is the question: What do you think makes Halo CE a better/higher scored game as oppose to A.C. Rogue?
Is it the nostalgia? The Story? The fun? The multiplayer? Feel free to say whatever you fell is the deciding factor.

Thanks a lot guys, you really help,
Ryan

Halo CE redefined so many aspects for video games(especially shooters in general and console shooters specifically), and was the beginning of a wonderful universe. That’s why it had such a great score. AC Rogue is the Eighth installment in the AC franchise and while it had great gameplay and graphics on the 360, overall it failed on some aspects and didn’t meet the series set bar. I haven’t played the game, but with a little common sense, that’s usually the case with most games nowadays. Look at Halo 5. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it at all, and I absolutely loved it. But for some reason, many people believe it didn’t meet the bar the Halo franchise has always set. You are right, graphics are not the determining factor in a game, and it is not due to graphics that CE scored better than Rogue. Also, over time, IGN and GameSpot have become very biased and are not very reliable most of the time.

> 2533274919463107;2:
> Halo CE redefined so many aspects for video games(especially shooters in general and console shooters specifically), and was the beginning of a wonderful universe. That’s why it had such a great score. AC Rogue is the Eighth installment in the AC franchise and while it had great gameplay and graphics on the 360, overall it failed on some aspects and didn’t meet the series set bar. I haven’t played the game, but with a little common sense, that’s usually the case with most games nowadays. Look at Halo 5. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it at all, and I absolutely loved it. But for some reason, many people believe it didn’t meet the bar the Halo franchise has always set. You are right, graphics are not the determining factor in a game, and it is not due to graphics that CE scored better than Rogue. Also, over time, IGN and GameSpot have become very biased and are not very reliable most of the time.

This is correct you can’t trust ign or anyplace like that when it comes to reviewing something because they could have easily been paid off to give better reviews.

Personally ive been connected to the story longer, well not even just the story line. The Halo series as a whole has been my favorite game for multiplayer and campaign.

graphics really shouldn’t be the main focus, granted it should be in a top 5 list of features. I guess it depends on what the individual prefers. I frankly don’t like how graphics is shaping the industry because every time a console game ships they are riddled with bugs that were overshadowed by the need to ship the game at high graphic fidelity.
long gone are they days when you could just simply pop in a disk and have the game work.

1. I prefer a good story with well fleshed out and developed characters
  2. I like interactive/ destructive maps with buttons and stuff (bf 4)
  3. better customization of armor (reach)
  4. customizable guns and vehicles (bf 4 yet again)
  5. file browser with search and tag options (Reach)

Thanks guys.
I’ve decided to change halo to GTA 3 for the comparison because GTA 3 is an open world game similar to AC Rogue.

By the way if i shouldn’t use IGN, what is more reliable?

Thank you for all your replies anyway. :slight_smile:
Ryan

Halo CE is tough to compare to Rogue, especially since Rogue is the 7th installment in a franchise, and CE is the first. Even comparing it to GTA 3 is a little harder, because it’s only (tehcnically) the fifth entry, and it’s a lot different than its prior entries.

You also have to look at it from a gameplay perspective - in 7 installments, the gameplay of Assassin’s Creed hasn’t really changed at all, and one comes out every year (and in the case of Rogue, there were two released that year). In GTA, the gameplay hasn’t changed a ton either (aside from like II to III, going from the top down to third person), but there have only been 5 installments released in 15 years, which saturates the market a lot more. GTA III also stirred a bit of controvery, and was pretty revolutionary in its open-world design. Its graphics were also highly praised upon release - obviously Rogue has better graphics, but for its time GTA III had great graphics. Like sure, MarioKart 64 doesn’t have great graphics - but compared to Pong it’s amazing.