Halo used to be unique

I have been playing Halo for years, and it always had unique gameplay that separated it from other first person shooters. Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 were all arena shooters. Reach went away from this to an extent, but that was ok because it was a spinoff from the main trilogy. Halo 2, and Halo 3 were by and far the most popular Halo titles, and it reflected in their sales and their longevity. Reach was not as popular, and this also showed by the weaker sales and the short lifespan of the matchmaking.

Considering Halo 3 was a juggernaut, and the most popular game on any console you would think that Halo 4 would have refined that gameplay instead of taking Halo 4 further down the Reach road.

Many are wondering why so many people are upset with Halo 4, and I will tell you why this is the case. Halo 4 has officially taken Halo out of the arena shooter sub-genre.

Many people including myself are very confused on why they would do this. Again, Halo 3 was by far the most popular Halo, and it lasted for years. Its population was much higher a full year after release than what Halo 4 has now. Arena shooters are much more competitive than Halo 4, and they required a greater amount of skill to succeed.I will prove this through an analogy of chess vs monopoly.

Arena shooters such as halo 2 and halo 3 can be compared to chess. It had very simplistic gameplay and everyone starts on equal footing, but there were many different strategies with each map, and you had to perfect these strategies in order to succeed. Power weapons, and power positions were vital to succeeding in those titles. You always knew who had what power weapons, and you would know when they would respawn. You had to outwit, our outplay the other team in order to get these weapons, they were not just handed to you.

Halo 4 can be compared to monopoly. It is a decently fun game, but it isn’t really competitive. That is because it is a game of chance. You depend on the roll of a die (ordinances) either to your benefit or to your detriment. This is shown in Halo 4 by the random ordinances, the random JIP, and the random spawning which can leave you out to dry.

Now a lot of people respond to this with well Halo had to evolve and be innovative in order to succeed. Well I don’t know about you but why would you have to stray away from the most popular Halo in order to succeed? The reason Halo has fallen off is because games like ODST and Reach were too different. Also please explain to me how Halo 4 is innovative? Nothing Halo has added is revolutionary or innovative, they are simply ripped off mechanics taken from other games. This is most apparent with the mass additions of COD game mechanics (I am not saying COD was the first game to use these mechanics.)

Instant respawn- Ruins the flow of the map, you will often respawn and kill the person that just killed you or vice versa, and makes it impossible to hold any map position of significance.

Loadouts- Again Halo was an ARENA SHOOTER, allowing people to have loadouts just moves away from that basic gameplay mechanic.

AA- Again why use this mechanic? All this does is allow people of less skill to gain an advantage they didn’t earn over you. People putting up a shield when they are one-hit is an example of this. If in Halo 3 you put up a bubble shield that was different, because both teams had an equal opportunity to gain that advantage.

Ordinances- By and far the most dramatic change to the Halo gameplay. Instead of static weapons that both teams had an EQUAL opportunity of getting, weapons show up at random (yay!) Play in any BTB game and there will be at least 10+ power weapons on the map. How is it fun to be shot by 2 different snipers then respawn only to be killed by rockets? Remember when it was actually important to control the hill in Ragnarok? Now it’s pointless, there is little to no advantage to holding that position, and it makes the map irrelevant. Ordinances are even worse than killstreaks in COD, because you don’t even need to get consecutive kills to get them, and what you receive in them is completely random (Again going back to the monopoly die analogy.)

There are way more things that were added in this game that were ripped off from other games, but you get the idea.

I understand from a business perspective why 343 is trying to emulate a game such as COD. COD is the king of the fps market, however Halo will never regain the throne by trying to be more or less the same as its main competitor. The reason Halo was so successful is because it was UNIQUE. People tell me if I don’t like this game why I don’t just play COD, but the reason I don’t like this game is because they added in so many gameplay features from COD. 343 will not draw people in by trying to be like COD, because those people will just play the real thing. They would have been more successful in building on Halo 3 and giving gamers a choice between 2 different unique experiences. Take Counterstrike for example. It over 10 years old, and is still VERY relevant in the PC world. That is because it has very unique gameplay that only that game can give to the gamers.

TL/DR Halo used to be a unique arena shooter that drove Xbox sales. Now it is just another game in a sea of games, and it is pretty sad in my opinion.

Also don’t flame me saying that I suck at this game, because my stats prove I am a very solid player.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

bump

I’m just hoping that this is all a plot to make Halo 5 seem revolutionary when they return it to the classic Halo gameplay.

> I’m just hoping that this is all a plot to make Halo 5 seem revolutionary when they return it to the classic Halo gameplay.

If they don’t fix this one then I wont be purchasing Halo 5. People hate on COD for remaining relatively the same, but at least you know what you are getting. Halo 3 was awesome, it was the king, so I have no idea why they would drastically change the gameplay from that game.

If anyone played this game and there was no title they would be thinking they were playing Call of Duty Space Edition.

> Reach went away from this to an extent, but that was ok because it was a spinoff from the main trilogy. Halo 2, and Halo 3 were by and far the most popular Halo titles, and it reflected in their sales and their longevity. Reach was not as popular, and this also showed by the weaker sales and the short lifespan of the matchmaking.
>
> Considering Halo 3 was a juggernaut, and the most popular game on any console you would think that Halo 4 would have refined that gameplay instead of taking Halo 4 further down the Reach road.

No matter how many people try to deny Halo Reach happened or mattered, it did. Everyone personal opinion aside, Reach was an extremely solid game. Solid story and extremely solid and fluid gameplay. There was zero reason to ignore it when making Halo 4.

It didn’t go Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, then Halo 4.

Also, this is an extremely false statement…
Considering Halo 3 was a juggernaut, and the most popular game on any console

It may have been true for the Xbox 360, but many games in history have sold more and been far more popular.

> > I’m just hoping that this is all a plot to make Halo 5 seem revolutionary when they return it to the classic Halo gameplay.
>
> If they don’t fix this one then I wont be purchasing Halo 5. People hate on COD for remaining relatively the same, but at least you know what you are getting. Halo 3 was awesome, it was the king, so I have no idea why they would drastically change the gameplay from that game.
>
> If anyone played this game and there was no title they would be thinking they were playing Call of Duty Space Edition.

How Halo 5 sounds pre-release is going to be the basis for my decision to buy it. If it sounds like Halo 4 again, I will likely not be buying it immediately, maybe I’ll get it for Xmas.

However if what I hear of the game sounds like they are returning to the Halo 3 style gameplay (ie removal of equipment, DMR, JiP, instant respawn, etc) I will absolutely buy it.

Like I said, I’m hoping it will be the latter, and that 343 is attempting to make the game seem revolutionary, as that is what Halo 2 did. Regenerating health was a brand new thing when Halo 2 came out, and along with a lot of other things, revolutionized gaming. Hopefully 343 is trying to make the game similar to all the others, so that when they do decide to return to Halo’s roots, the gameplay will seem revolutionary as it is so different from what all the other games are doing.

I think I’m dreaming there though.

> > Reach went away from this to an extent, but that was ok because it was a spinoff from the main trilogy. Halo 2, and Halo 3 were by and far the most popular Halo titles, and it reflected in their sales and their longevity. Reach was not as popular, and this also showed by the weaker sales and the short lifespan of the matchmaking.
> >
> > Considering Halo 3 was a juggernaut, and the most popular game on any console you would think that Halo 4 would have refined that gameplay instead of taking Halo 4 further down the Reach road.
>
> No matter how many people try to deny Halo Reach happened or mattered, it did. Everyone personal opinion aside, Reach was an extremely solid game. Solid story and extremely solid and fluid gameplay. There was zero reason to ignore it when making Halo 4.
>
> It didn’t go Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, then Halo 4.
>
> Also, this is an extremely false statement…
> “Considering Halo 3 was a juggernaut, and the most popular game on any console
>
> It may have been true for the Xbox 360, but many games in history have sold more and been far more popular.

I was talking about for exclusive games. There was no game that playstation or any console had that had a chance of outcompeting Halo 3. Halo 3 had a higher population 1 full year after release than Halo 4 has now.

Also how was Reach solid? It sold less copies than Halo 3, sold less DLC, and the multiplayer died off MUCH quicker than Halo 3. So again please explain to me how Reach was solid?

Unfortunately I seriously have doubts that once Halo 5 comes out it will revert back to the real Halo of old. That would require them basically admitting that they were wrong. You really see that happening?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> bump

Not that this has anything to do with your OP, but I really dislike your name. It’s like you’re stabbing DBZ in its heart and spitting on its face. Please, don’t use the word “swag” with the beautiful art that is DBZ.

I’m with you OP. At this point I just hope that Halo dies before they do too much damage. I’m looking for a new and original FPS to come out.

> Unfortunately I seriously have doubts that once Halo 5 comes out it will revert back to the real Halo of old. That would require them basically admitting that they were wrong. You really see that happening?

It’s possible. If they don’t make a lot of fixes in the first title update then a lot of people will be done with this game. Look at how drastically the population on the servers has dropped already. There sales were good on launch day, but developers make a ton of money off of DLC. It is pretty hard to sell a lot of DLC when no one is playing your multiplayer.

> > bump
>
> Not that this has anything to do with your OP, but I really dislike your name. It’s like you’re stabbing DBZ in its heart and spitting on its face. Please, don’t use the word “swag” with the beautiful art that is DBZ.

I loved DBZ as a kid, but considering I am an adult now the name is a joke.

This Isn’t 2001, 2004 or 2007, Adapt or Move on.

> Unfortunately I seriously have doubts that once Halo 5 comes out it will revert back to the real Halo of old. That would require them basically admitting that they were wrong. You really see that happening?

Or it was just one massive plot and all along they had the idea that this was going to be the same as every other FPS out there, and when Halo 5 rolled out it would seem revolutionary to the casual fan and everyone would want it because it was so different from the games we have today.

To us Halo fans it would seem as if they admitted they were wrong, but I would be so happy to see good Halo gameplay again that I just would not care.

I’m dreaming right now, but hey, I’ve gotta hope.

> It’s possible. If they don’t make a lot of fixes in the first title update then a lot of people will be done with this game. Look at how drastically the population on the servers has dropped already. There sales were good on launch day, but developers make a ton of money off of DLC. It is pretty hard to sell a lot of DLC when no one is playing your multiplayer.

Yes, if this game dies then it will help the case…but then again Reach was a giant multiplayer flop and what did 343 do? They followed the Reach formula. Unfortunately for us they seem to seriously believe that all this new BS is the right direction to take this series. Some of their reasoning makes me seriously question if they have any idea what made Halo what it was.

> This Isn’t 2001, 2004 or 2007, Adapt or Move on.

It’s honestly sad that people say this. Honestly how can people be satisfied with this watered down, and frankly terribly unbalanced gameplay. How do you adapt to unbalance by the way? How do I adapt to someone crouching in corners with camo and a shotgun? How do I adapt to someone getting rockets from an ordinance? How do I adapt to spawning in the open and getting shot by a dmr almost instantly?

You’re right this is 2012 and Halo 4 is a FAILURE compared to those games (in terms of sales and online population.)

I’m sorry I am not going to “adapt” to these -Yoink- gameplay mechanics.

Does anyone have hard proof Halo 3 was more popular at this point in the two games life spans?

> Does anyone have hard proof Halo 3 was more popular at this point in the two games life spans?

Did you play Halo 3? The population between that game and this game isn’t even close. There would normally be at least 150,000 just in ranked slayer alone a year after release.

I only know 4 persons in my town atm that plays halo 4, I know lots more that played halo 3.

It’s quite obvious, h4 sucks but i’ll adapt anyways, i miss halo too much.

If you people love Halo 3 so damn much why not go back to it and quit your whining?