Halo, Too Big To Fail? I think not.

For anyone who is an econ major, the movie “Too Big To Fail” is almost unanimous among your course work, for everyone else I’m banking on the relative nature of your banking knowledge (see what I did there, intelligence!)

Let me start off by saying, I am a huge fan of other series such as Call of Duty (Medal of Honor prior to that), Battlefield, Counter Strike, even the new Battlefront series. With that being said, I truly enjoy the first person shooter genre and don’t find competition or arguments among these franchises from an external stand point, so much so as I would always want to look at innovation from the previous iteration as a must for any future installment. In a nutshell, if I compare Call of Duty to Halo, I’d really be saying that in a few ways the titles are very similar; the chain based movement is featured in basically all three titles for Call of Duty, and the new thruster slide charge sprint combination provides a new kind of fluidity to the base movement mechanics of the Halo franchise.

On an even more similar fashion, both of these franchise feature ranking system, where one gets it completely right the other fumbles it right at the end zone. Now I can’t blame the Halo franchise for many of its differences from its birth, I would most notably comment on the changing culture from each numerical title release; Campaign (Halo: CE, Halo 2), next would be Multiplayer (Halo 2, Halo 3) and to be frank, the era of “Customization” from then on.

But, back to the ranking system. It’s unbelievably tempting (albeit, if you can afford a few extra bucks) to spare yourself the time and pain, of having to go through what would be about 10-14 days’ worth of game time? Ha, you thought the pain ended, it only begins. Next, your baited into this completely false idea that “monthly updates” will provide some kind of comfort there is a check and balance system somewhere in the back (basement) of the studio running data on loss percentage (%) of single players versus say, the amount of full parties they face? Ah, it’s the poor utilization of Spartan Companies that could really be the issue there, who knows, I don’t.

My issue is this; don’t make Halo into a franchise that just tumbleweeds into a “too big to fail” scenario. There’s a real danger that the player base could dwindle at the next showing if things don’t pick up post June’s content drop. The franchise isn’t just built on people who trade in their copy every other year, it’s really made up of a loyal community. It’s pathetic and sad to see how quickly that is falling apart, even among the strongest supporters of Halo 5, the overall game feels like one big mess of ideas, not fully polished and still being thought through. I can’t really go back and say Halo 1 and 2 did this or that better, cause to be honest I don’t remember playing those titles for all of the technical reasons, it was truly gaming moments of fun. Halo 5 has been marred by trying to figure out the right settings, getting Elite controllers, buying Reqs to get packs to obtain a tank with 9 different variants but all 9 are taken down by the same plasma pistol, trying to constantly adjust to aiming, learning how to move and dodge, crouch and jump all in one string of movements. Does this sound fun? Why do I have to sacrifice my shield because of movement speed, and if I don’t, I’ll get gunned down? I honestly think someone or some studio should bite the bullet and allow a non-sprint playlist. There should be a learning curve for every game, but does it need to be this steep? I can jump into any one of the above mentioned titles and not miss a single beat; whereas Halo 5 is a completely different beast, and I’m not sure that’s really a good thing…

I know I’m going to take a lot of heat for what I wrote here but it’s the honest truth, the game forces so much on you as a player that after biting and buying your way to fame your only greeted with a nasty slap to the face and an empty feeling, as if you never bought the game in the first place. There is no reward in ranking up, it’s just a number, the Req system holds you hostage cause you can’t really do much with 24 Battle Rifles and only two weapon slots, the matchmaking doesn’t really care if the game is at 0:00 or your flying out with the team that just got spanked 2 minutes ago, and the developers, well they sure do listen a lot. I can concur, they listen. That might be all that I can say I have seen so far, not really any improvement on the quality of fun. If I played Halo for life, as a job, maybe I’d appreciate all of these adjustments and understand why it’s such a nuisance for the >5% of the player base whose input only seems to matter.

Thanks for the dietary experience, however I have enjoyed your complimentary snacks; but ultimately, I want all my sprinkles at once.

(And for the 15 year old hitting puberty, realizing they could be a man one day, I do in FACT play all other FPS titles, so yeah, I can go play those other ones, and you damn sure I DO!)

Any way we can get a TLDR?

> 2533274816299345;2:
> Any way we can get a TLDR?

Don’t be lazy, take the 3 minutes to read it all. If you’re not going to read it, then don’t make useless posts like that.

But honestly, I agree with everything you’ve said, OP. 343i has this idea that Halo will continue on mainly due to its name. But after what can be considered as 3 failures in a row, I would not be surprised to see Halo decline more rapidly than anybody can imagine. To be frank, after the travesty that is Halo 5, I’m considering dropping Halo altogether now. 343i just doesn’t understand Halo like Bungie did, and I doubt that they ever will. There are plenty of other fun games out there, perhaps those are worth more of my time now.

so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?

if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.

“halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.

“bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.

etc etc.

this post needs to be locked.

You

> 2533274827519891;4:
> so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
>
> if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
>
> “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
>
> “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
>
> etc etc.
>
> this post needs to be locked.

The last part of my post was dedicated to you. You need to learn how to read and be locked out of the forums once you pass a reading exam.

No where did I mention Bungie, can we delete this guys post? It’s not a new direction, its a backwards one. Please don’t comment on my post if you have intellectual issues.

> 2533274808386392;3:
> > 2533274816299345;2:
> > Any way we can get a TLDR?
>
>
> Don’t be lazy, take the 3 minutes to read it all. If you’re not going to read it, then don’t make useless posts like that.
>
> But honestly, I agree with everything you’ve said, OP. 343i has this idea that Halo will continue on mainly due to its name. But after what can be considered as 3 failures in a row, I would not be surprised to see Halo decline more rapidly than anybody can imagine. To be frank, after the travesty that is Halo 5, I’m considering dropping Halo altogether now. 343i just doesn’t understand Halo like Bungie did, and I doubt that they ever will. There are plenty of other fun games out there, perhaps those are worth more of my time now.

read it, sounds like any of crying “BUNGIE DID IT BETTER 343!” post
it needs to be locked,

it adds nothing constructive, just another forum member crying about how halo is too different for them, and they don’t want to take the time to learn the the new system because it “isn’t halo”

the fall of halo will not come from 343. it will come from people like OP, who complain about change

> 2533274827519891;4:
> so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
>
> if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
>
> “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
>
> “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
>
> etc etc.
>
> this post needs to be locked.

So, you’re saying that his post (which is nicely thought out and constructive) needs to be locked because you disagree with his opinion?

If any post in this thread is garbage, it’s yours. If it weren’t for the criticism of the fans, nothing would ever change. If everybody just said “ERMAGERD HALO 4 IS THE BEST EVURRRRR”, Halo 5 would have followed that direction even more so, and it would have been more terrible than it is now. If we do not let 343i know of our complaints regarding this game, how can we ensure that Halo 6 won’t be just as bad?

> 2535461287427665;5:
> You
>
>
> > 2533274827519891;4:
> > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> >
> > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> >
> > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> >
> > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> >
> > etc etc.
> >
> > this post needs to be locked.
>
>
> The last part of my post was dedicated to you. You need to learn how to read and be locked out of the forums once you pass a reading exam.
>
> No where did I mention Bungie, can we delete this guys post? It’s not a new direction, its a backwards one. Please don’t comment on my post if you have intellectual issues.

i wasn’t quoting what you said, i was quoting what i have seen throughout the forums just like this one. you can spin the words differently, but it will still send the same overall message. i don’t like the direction you have gone, change it, or your product will fail, because you are a hack company and after halo 5 can no longer hide being the name “halo”. pointless

> 2533274808386392;7:
> > 2533274827519891;4:
> > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> >
> > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> >
> > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> >
> > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> >
> > etc etc.
> >
> > this post needs to be locked.
>
>
> So, you’re saying that his post (which is nicely thought out and constructive) needs to be locked because you disagree with his opinion?
>
> If any post in this thread is garbage, it’s yours. If it weren’t for the criticism of the fans, nothing would ever change. If everybody just said “ERMAGERD HALO 4 IS THE BEST EVURRRRR”, Halo 5 would have followed that direction even more so, and it would have been more terrible than it is now. If we do not let 343i know of our complaints regarding this game, how can we ensure that Halo 6 won’t be just as bad?

it has nothing to do with me disagreeing, it has everything to do with how there is MANY just like it.
he put more thought into it, but that does not change that there is at least 10 of these every 3 days.

> 2533274827519891;9:
> > 2533274808386392;7:
> > > 2533274827519891;4:
> > > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> > >
> > > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> > >
> > > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> > >
> > > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> > >
> > > etc etc.
> > >
> > > this post needs to be locked.
> >
> >
> > So, you’re saying that his post (which is nicely thought out and constructive) needs to be locked because you disagree with his opinion?
> >
> > If any post in this thread is garbage, it’s yours. If it weren’t for the criticism of the fans, nothing would ever change. If everybody just said “ERMAGERD HALO 4 IS THE BEST EVURRRRR”, Halo 5 would have followed that direction even more so, and it would have been more terrible than it is now. If we do not let 343i know of our complaints regarding this game, how can we ensure that Halo 6 won’t be just as bad?
>
>
> it has nothing to do with me disagreeing, it has everything to do with how there is MANY just like it.
> he put more thought into it, but that does not change that there is at least 10 of these every 3 days.

My friend you can easily stop commenting on it, your trying to start a post war so that it does get locked, I see your scheme before it’s even hatched. Please stop commenting unless you have something constructive.

Here’s an example:

Games take new directions all the time. Doom decided take the direction of returning to its original form, Call of Duty decided to go to the Moon, Halo decided to give you sprint. That’s perfectly fine, the choice of the Studio on what they choose to do with the next title is solely on their plate. However, direction and fun are too completely different ideas. The direction that 343i choose to go with has not resulted in the overall fun that a lot of us were expecting. Can you please respond to that without flaming out?

OP, I feel like this post is a little late to the game. Halo 5 has proven that Halo isn’t too big to fail. That could be because past mistakes (Halo 4 and MCC) or Halo 5 itself or maybe some combination of the two, but regardless, the franchise’s fragility is more apparent now than it’s ever been.

Now taking into consideration Halo 4, MCC and all of Halo 5’s mistakes it will certainly be interesting to see how Halo 6 performs.

> 2533274827519891;8:
> > 2535461287427665;5:
> > You
> >
> >
> > > 2533274827519891;4:
> > > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> > >
> > > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> > >
> > > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> > >
> > > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> > >
> > > etc etc.
> > >
> > > this post needs to be locked.
> >
> >
> > The last part of my post was dedicated to you. You need to learn how to read and be locked out of the forums once you pass a reading exam.
> >
> > No where did I mention Bungie, can we delete this guys post? It’s not a new direction, its a backwards one. Please don’t comment on my post if you have intellectual issues.
>
>
> i wasn’t quoting what you said, i was quoting what i have seen throughout the forums just like this one. you can spin the words differently, but it will still send the same overall message. i don’t like the direction you have gone, change it, or your product will fail, because you are a hack company and after halo 5 can no longer hide being the name “halo”. pointless

You obviously aren’t understanding my reference in the title of my post. Halo is a monster franchise, but even the biggest of giants can fall, and from the looks of it 343i isn’t doing itself any favors. Forget Bungie, they ain’t ever coming back. Your right this is 343i’s direction, but it looks really bleak for the franchise going forward, papa.

> 2533274827519891;9:
> > 2533274808386392;7:
> > > 2533274827519891;4:
> > > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> > >
> > > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> > >
> > > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> > >
> > > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> > >
> > > etc etc.
> > >
> > > this post needs to be locked.
> >
> >
> > So, you’re saying that his post (which is nicely thought out and constructive) needs to be locked because you disagree with his opinion?
> >
> > If any post in this thread is garbage, it’s yours. If it weren’t for the criticism of the fans, nothing would ever change. If everybody just said “ERMAGERD HALO 4 IS THE BEST EVURRRRR”, Halo 5 would have followed that direction even more so, and it would have been more terrible than it is now. If we do not let 343i know of our complaints regarding this game, how can we ensure that Halo 6 won’t be just as bad?
>
>
> it has nothing to do with me disagreeing, it has everything to do with how there is MANY just like it.
> he put more thought into it, but that does not change that there is at least 10 of these every 3 days.

So you’re saying the fanbase isn’t happy? Sounds like 343 should be aware of this then.

Halo 5 has certainly shown that enough mistakes can bring down even a flagship franchise. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Hopefully Halo 6 will do something about it, then hopefully 6 wraps it up and 343 can move onto a different franchise.

I read it. All of it. Twice. And I agree 110% that the learning curve is too steep. But that’s one short step away from saying that the skill gap is too wide. And that’s zero steps away from asking for a return to Halo 4. And we all know how that turned out.

That slap in the face and the empty feeling you get have nothing to do with the game or the developer. That’s all on you, my friend. Your abilities don’t match your expectations - neither do mine - and you want to throw the developer under the bus because… what? Because it’s easier to be good at Call of Duty?

> 2533274873843883;15:
> I read it. All of it. Twice. And I agree 110% that the learning curve is too steep. But that’s one short step away from saying that the skill gap is too wide. And that’s zero steps away from asking for a return to Halo 4. And we all know how that turned out.
>
> That slap in the face and the empty feeling you get have nothing to do with the game or the developer. That’s all on you, my friend. Your abilities don’t match your expectations - neither do mine - and you want to throw the developer under the bus because… what? Because it’s easier to be good at Call of Duty?

No, your misunderstanding. Can someone read this block of text and like truly try to figure out what I’m saying:

I can’t really go back and say Halo 1 and 2 did this or that better, cause to be honest I don’t remember playing those titles for all of the technical reasons, it was truly gaming moments of fun. Halo 5 has been marred by trying to figure out the right settings, getting Elite controllers, buying Reqs to get packs to obtain a tank with 9 different variants but all 9 are taken down by the same plasma pistol, trying to constantly adjust to aiming, learning how to move and dodge, crouch and jump all in one string of movements. Does this sound fun?
Call of Duty has not gotten any easier than any other franchise especially if you are a competitive person trying to get that top spot on your team, I’m not saying my ability is what’s making me not have fun, why do I need so many friggen abilities in the first place!? Does any of this stuff really make the game more fun? Because I dodge maybe 5 feet in any direction to avoid bullet fire (which still curves due to magnetism!) doesn’t mean I’m having fun. I can sprint in any game, and in real life, does that mean I’m having fun? What I’m trying to ask you and the community here is, is too much too much? That’s gunna stump a lot of people but maybe someone will get it. Cya guys, got a date with the Mrs.

> 2533274873843883;15:
> I read it. All of it. Twice. And I agree 110% that the learning curve is too steep. But that’s one short step away from saying that the skill gap is too wide. And that’s zero steps away from asking for a return to Halo 4. And we all know how that turned out.
>
> That slap in the face and the empty feeling you get have nothing to do with the game or the developer. That’s all on you, my friend. Your abilities don’t match your expectations - neither do mine - and you want to throw the developer under the bus because… what? Because it’s easier to be good at Call of Duty?

The steep learning curve and less accessible nature of Halo 5 is entirely the fault of 343. Previous Halos were very easy to pick up and play and understand the basics.

You need look no further than Halo 5’s version of sprint as the prime example. In most shooters, the sprint rules are that you run faster but you can’t shoot. In Halo 5, the sprint rules are that you can run faster but you can’t shoot, your shields don’t recharge and if you’re shot then you stop sprinting. They included sprint in the game solely because it’s what the average player expects. But what should’ve made the game more accessible to those players now pushes them away because the mechanic is so complicated compared to what they’re use to.

Lack of accessibility is one of Halo 5’s biggest problems and is counter productive to the very thing 343 attempted to do: pull in new players. Instead, they’re pushed away.

> 2533274819567236;13:
> > 2533274827519891;9:
> > > 2533274808386392;7:
> > > > 2533274827519891;4:
> > > > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> > > >
> > > > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> > > >
> > > > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> > > >
> > > > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> > > >
> > > > etc etc.
> > > >
> > > > this post needs to be locked.
> > >
> > >
> > > So, you’re saying that his post (which is nicely thought out and constructive) needs to be locked because you disagree with his opinion?
> > >
> > > If any post in this thread is garbage, it’s yours. If it weren’t for the criticism of the fans, nothing would ever change. If everybody just said “ERMAGERD HALO 4 IS THE BEST EVURRRRR”, Halo 5 would have followed that direction even more so, and it would have been more terrible than it is now. If we do not let 343i know of our complaints regarding this game, how can we ensure that Halo 6 won’t be just as bad?
> >
> >
> > it has nothing to do with me disagreeing, it has everything to do with how there is MANY just like it.
> > he put more thought into it, but that does not change that there is at least 10 of these every 3 days.
>
>
> So you’re saying the fanbase isn’t happy? Sounds like 343 should be aware of this then.

i am saying, they are aware of it. so flooding the forums with more of it, is pointless, he feels like a snow flake thinking his post is going to be the way that 343 that sways them, it won’t.

> 2533274827519891;18:
> > 2533274819567236;13:
> > > 2533274827519891;9:
> > > > 2533274808386392;7:
> > > > > 2533274827519891;4:
> > > > > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> > > > >
> > > > > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> > > > >
> > > > > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> > > > >
> > > > > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> > > > >
> > > > > etc etc.
> > > > >
> > > > > this post needs to be locked.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > So, you’re saying that his post (which is nicely thought out and constructive) needs to be locked because you disagree with his opinion?
> > > >
> > > > If any post in this thread is garbage, it’s yours. If it weren’t for the criticism of the fans, nothing would ever change. If everybody just said “ERMAGERD HALO 4 IS THE BEST EVURRRRR”, Halo 5 would have followed that direction even more so, and it would have been more terrible than it is now. If we do not let 343i know of our complaints regarding this game, how can we ensure that Halo 6 won’t be just as bad?
> > >
> > >
> > > it has nothing to do with me disagreeing, it has everything to do with how there is MANY just like it.
> > > he put more thought into it, but that does not change that there is at least 10 of these every 3 days.
> >
> >
> > So you’re saying the fanbase isn’t happy? Sounds like 343 should be aware of this then.
>
>
> i am saying, they are aware of it. so flooding the forums with more of it, is pointless, he feels like a snow flake thinking his post is going to be the way that 343 that sways them, it won’t.

You so whats your plan? Keep your thumb in your mouth? You know the Battlefield community had a black out because the developers weren’t responding. Because of guys like you, the “Your a snowflake in a snow storm” our voices can’t get heard. Better yet, why can’t we become the snowstorm and 343i the snowflake? Cause the community itself can’t be one allowing 343i to masquerade through the confusion without ever having to answer.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2535461287427665;5:
> You
>
>
> > 2533274827519891;4:
> > so you tell me the lovely mods, lock “certain” post. but they don’t lock this garbage?
> > if you don’t like it, do not play it, it is really that simple.
> > “halo is my favorite seris, i don’t want to play anything else” well then accept the new direction and adapt to it.
> > “bungie did it better” no, bungie did it first, take the glasses off.
> > etc etc.
> > this post needs to be locked.
>
>
> The last part of my post was dedicated to you. You need to learn how to read and be locked out of the forums once you pass a reading exam.
> No where did I mention Bungie, can we delete this guys post? It’s not a new direction, its a backwards one. Please don’t comment on my post if you have intellectual issues.

Nice one OP. Roast this piece of road kill. ROAST