Halo stealing from Call of Duty?

Pffft. Yeah, right. After this game comes out we’ll see which developers are ‘‘stealing’’ what from who. Guns that assemble themselves? I guarantee we’ll be seeing more of that outside of Halo. Nearly everything that was done by CoD -OR ANY OTHER GAME- has been done before by a previous game. But I forgot! ‘‘Oh, but that game wasn’t popular! So It doesn’t count!’’
The people that call games ‘‘CoD clones’’ obviously are the new generations of kids who weren’t around in the 90’s. Or they’re just stupid (Probably both). Ever heard of the term Doom clone?

Keep going 343, the intelligent people have your back! And we can take over the world before Bungie!

Nuff said.

What the hell was the reason for this thread?

> What the hell was the reason for this thread?

To tell people they are idiots for saying Halo copied CoD. Or this and this is copying Halo.
And those people are stupid, specially the ones saying Halo is copying CoD. Games “Steal” from each other all the time. But they take each other’s ideas and refine them. Make them different. Without this games would never evolve and become better. And Ordinance Drops are nothing like Kill Streaks. NOTHING like them. It’s a VAGUELY similiar idea. But they are totally and completely different.

> What the hell was the reason for this thread?

Obsessive Compulsion Disorder.

‘Stealing’ has such a negative connotation. I don’t quite think it is fair to use that word here.

Halo 4, absolutely undeniably, is taking Call of Duty elements from CoD into itself. Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant. I promise you 343 isn’t using those ideas because some unsuccessful game did them first. No- they are using them because they worked well for the most popular series [of the moment].

What people need to understand is… that is OK. Games take ideas from other games to make themselves better. That is good! Call of Duty copied Bungie massively! The two big factors are regenerative health and only holding two weapons at a time. Hell, Bungie even did ‘Zombies’ back with Marathon: Durandal a decade before CoD did it (and Bungie wasn’t first on that either). But that is OK! They used them to better themselves- these other games. This is GOOD for the industry, and good for the individual game. Halo 4 IS taking CoD elements- certain ones. But… good. They work. I believe we should just hope 343 is implementing them effectively by making them work with Halo gameplay, rather than blatantly copying them just for the sake of having them. And to be honest… it looks like they’re doing it very well.

Let us wait with bated breath, my friends. We shall soon see how it all comes together.

> > What the hell was the reason for this thread?
>
> To tell people they are idiots for saying Halo copied CoD. Or this and this is copying Halo.

Perks, anyone? To deny that Halo 4 has features taken from CoD and other similar shooters is to be blind to reality.

> > What the hell was the reason for this thread?
>
> To tell people they are idiots for saying Halo copied CoD. Or this and this is copying Halo.
> And those people are stupid, specially the ones saying Halo is copying CoD. Games “Steal” from each other all the time. But they take each other’s ideas and refine them. Make them different. Without this games would never evolve and become better. And Ordinance Drops are nothing like Kill Streaks. NOTHING like them. It’s a VAGUELY similiar idea. But they are totally and completely different.

That

No! Halo is stealing me and I’m stealing CoD because I want to sell the game overprice on Ebay before release.

> Halo 4, absolutely undeniably, is taking Call of Duty elements from CoD into itself. Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant.

What?

> > Halo 4, absolutely undeniably, is taking Call of Duty elements from CoD into itself. Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant.
>
> What?

lolwut? CoD still stole every feature they brought from other FPS/TPS/(…). So I guess it’s okay to steal if you are popular?..

What kind of logic is that.

> > > Halo 4, absolutely undeniably, is taking Call of Duty elements from CoD into itself. Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant.
> >
> > What?
>
> lolwut? CoD still stole every feature they brought from other FPS/TPS/(…). So I guess it’s okay to steal if you are popular?..
>
> What kind of logic is that.

It appears you’re both missing the point as you are, apparently, upset about something. Allow me to re-explain.

In context, the phrase I used:

> Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant.

… was referring to the comments people issue regarding how Halo is copying Call of Duty. Some folks state that ‘oh call of duty didn’t even do it first!’

I’m telling you that such a statement is irrelevant. Halo did not integrate those features into itself because it worked for some unknown, lesser title. Halo is integrating these features because now, today, they are popular in the gaming industry and working for the most popular title around. Halo is taking ideas from Call of Duty because they work for all of Duty- not because they work for some other random title.

That is the point. So free to reread my post after this. If you still do not understand, please say so and I’ll do my absolute best to explain it a third time. Cheers!

> Pffft. Yeah, right. After this game comes out we’ll see which developers are ‘‘stealing’’ what from who. <mark>Guns that assemble themselves?</mark> I guarantee we’ll be seeing more of that outside of Halo. Nearly everything that was done by CoD -OR ANY OTHER GAME- has been done before by a previous game. But I forgot! ‘‘Oh, but that game wasn’t popular! So It doesn’t count!’’
> The people that call games ‘‘CoD clones’’ obviously are the new generations of kids who weren’t around in the 90’s. Or they’re just stupid (Probably both). Ever heard of the term Doom clone?
>
> Keep going 343, the intelligent people have your back! And we can take over the world before Bungie!

cough Mass effect cough

> > > What the hell was the reason for this thread?
> >
> > To tell people they are idiots for saying Halo copied CoD. Or this and this is copying Halo.
>
> Perks, anyone? To deny that Halo 4 has features taken from CoD and other similar shooters is to be blind to reality.

Oh right… *Yeaahh.*I forgot that Call of Duty invented perks! Power ups systems (Which ARE perks) were, if you go back very far, were in Mario, Space Invaders. That not good enough. What about Devil May Cry? Where orbs or souls work similarly to experience points. Every time the player character levels up using these orbs or souls, they are given a choice of permanent power-ups or abilities to choose from, A LOT like perks. The concept of permanent power-ups that are progressively unlocked through experience dates back to the armaments system of Gradius and games inspired by it, such as Slap Fight, Contra Force, and Night Slave. In these games, power-up items (Which are, one again, essentially perks) work similarly to experience points and are obtained by destroying enemies. Once you have enough, you can choose from a selection of permanent abilities, and the more power-up items are obtained, the more abilities become accessible.
This reminds me of a games where you kill people, destroy thing or capture certain other thing, get XP, level up AND. GET. PERKS.

> > Pffft. Yeah, right. After this game comes out we’ll see which developers are ‘‘stealing’’ what from who. <mark>Guns that assemble themselves?</mark> I guarantee we’ll be seeing more of that outside of Halo. Nearly everything that was done by CoD -OR ANY OTHER GAME- has been done before by a previous game. But I forgot! ‘‘Oh, but that game wasn’t popular! So It doesn’t count!’’
> > The people that call games ‘‘CoD clones’’ obviously are the new generations of kids who weren’t around in the 90’s. Or they’re just stupid (Probably both). Ever heard of the term Doom clone?
> >
> > Keep going 343, the intelligent people have your back! And we can take over the world before Bungie!
>
> cough Mass effect cough

I’m actually a huge fan of the ME series. Which gun was that. I can’t remember…(No sarcasm). Either way, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t like what’s being used in Halo.

> > > > What the hell was the reason for this thread?
> > >
> > > To tell people they are idiots for saying Halo copied CoD. Or this and this is copying Halo.
> >
> > Perks, anyone? To deny that Halo 4 has features taken from CoD and other similar shooters is to be blind to reality.
>
> Oh right… *Yeaahh.*I forgot that Call of Duty invented perks! Power ups systems (Which ARE perks) were, if you go back very far, were in Mario, Space Invaders. That not good enough. What about Devil May Cry? Where orbs or souls work similarly to experience points. Every time the player character levels up using these orbs or souls, they are given a choice of permanent power-ups or abilities to choose from, A LOT like perks. The concept of permanent power-ups that are progressively unlocked through experience dates back to the armaments system of Gradius and games inspired by it, such as Slap Fight, Contra Force, and Night Slave. In these games, power-up items (Which are, one again, essentially perks) work similarly to experience points and are obtained by destroying enemies. Once you have enough, you can choose from a selection of permanent abilities, and the more power-up items are obtained, the more abilities become accessible.
> This reminds me of a games where you kill people, destroy thing or capture certain other thing, get XP, level up AND. GET. PERKS.

Did you seriously just tell me that Super Mushrooms are perks? And that FPSes and platformers work the same way? Wow…

> > > > Halo 4, absolutely undeniably, is taking Call of Duty elements from CoD into itself. Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant.
> > >
> > > What?
> >
> > lolwut? CoD still stole every feature they brought from other FPS/TPS/(…). So I guess it’s okay to steal if you are popular?..
> >
> > What kind of logic is that.
>
> It appears you’re both missing the point as you are, apparently, upset about something. Allow me to re-explain.
>
>
> In context, the phrase I used:
>
>
> > Whether or not other games did them first is irrelevant.
>
> … was referring to the comments people issue regarding how Halo is copying Call of Duty. Some folks state that ‘oh call of duty didn’t even do it first!’
>
> I’m telling you that such a statement is irrelevant. Halo did not integrate those features into itself because it worked for some unknown, lesser title. Halo is integrating these features because now, today, they are popular in the gaming industry and working for the most popular title around. Halo is taking ideas from Call of Duty because they work for all of Duty- not because they work for some other random title.
>
> That is the point. So free to reread my post after this. If you still do not understand, please say so and I’ll do my absolute best to explain it a third time. Cheers!

K, I get that. But this is a thread to people saying ‘‘This did THAT first!’’. And ‘‘This came from that specifically’’. What they are saying is false.IW did NOT invent it. And not to mention that IW took the idea, and changed it. Good for them. So has 343 but they’re being labeled cheap and unoriginal?

> > > > > What the hell was the reason for this thread?
> > > >
> > > > To tell people they are idiots for saying Halo copied CoD. Or this and this is copying Halo.
> > >
> > > Perks, anyone? To deny that Halo 4 has features taken from CoD and other similar shooters is to be blind to reality.
> >
> > Oh right… *Yeaahh.*I forgot that Call of Duty invented perks! Power ups systems (Which ARE perks) were, if you go back very far, were in Mario, Space Invaders. That not good enough. What about Devil May Cry? Where orbs or souls work similarly to experience points. Every time the player character levels up using these orbs or souls, they are given a choice of permanent power-ups or abilities to choose from, A LOT like perks. The concept of permanent power-ups that are progressively unlocked through experience dates back to the armaments system of Gradius and games inspired by it, such as Slap Fight, Contra Force, and Night Slave. In these games, power-up items (Which are, one again, essentially perks) work similarly to experience points and are obtained by destroying enemies. Once you have enough, you can choose from a selection of permanent abilities, and the more power-up items are obtained, the more abilities become accessible.
> > This reminds me of a games where you kill people, destroy thing or capture certain other thing, get XP, level up AND. GET. PERKS.
>
> Did you seriously just tell me that Super Mushrooms are perks? And that FPSes and platformers work the same way? Wow…

I was using that as the basis of my point. Of course you can’t compare Mario to an FPS! You’re missing my point entirely.

EDIT: Every Halo game has had one. Even in CE. So did Doom!!! My argument is that this stupid new gen. of kids this CoD created this ‘‘power up’’ system. This perk system. That, is who I’m aiming for.

I think that when it comes down to it, if Halo still feels like Halo, and it’s simply a fun experience, all of these comparisons don’t matter.

Wait til you get your hands on Halo 4 on November 6th. If you think it plays like CoD at that point, and have valid reasons why, then post about it. But there is so much that separates Halo and CoD on the FPS spectrum, I doubt they will feel similar at all.

I can’t wait.

> But this is a thread to people saying ‘‘This did THAT first!’’. And ‘‘This came from that specifically’’.

The same people my post was replying to, yes.

> So has 343 but they’re being labeled cheap and unoriginal?

Er… no offense mate, but you actually read my first post at all? Because… you know… I sort of said the exact opposite of that.
:confused:

My post was talking about how all games take from other games. It is a natural part of the industry, and a game is not ‘less’ because of it. Games do it to improve upon themselves, which is a good thing. REGARDLESS of who took from whom. The important part is taking these features and making them your own. Rather than just flat out copying them, integrate and modify them. CoD did Zombies- a twist on survival mode. Halo 4 is taking ordinance drops- a twist on kill streaks.

What matters is not that someone takes an idea into itself. What matters is that it is integrated into its own style of gameplay instead of slapping it in just for the sake of having it.