Halo shouldn't be this way

Before all the fanboys flame me, I’m just going to say two things. I do enjoy this game to an extent, and I also already have my flamesuit on. I remember the days when I’d go home and play Halo. i wouldn’t come to these forums to talk about the game, I’d just play it. I remember the days when Halo was expected to be #1 on the activity charts, now it’s not even in the top 3. Those days may be over, and it’s unfortunate. Halo has always been about two things, the community and competitive gaming. People played Halo to test their true online merit, something Call of Duty could never even dream of doing. Halo has been flexible with it’s custom game options. So 343, if bungie gave you everything then why did you reduce the options in customs? Halo has had public online betas, and we gave Bungie feedback. With no Beta, this game feels like one and we could have prevented all the problems this game has. Halo was never supposed to be an action packed shooter, it was a slower strategic one. Does Halo 4 have potential? Yes, but on this path it won’t meet it. Do you guys agree?

> Halo has had public online betas, and we gave Bungie feedback. With no Beta, this game feels like one and we could have prevented all the problems this game has.

Halo 4 had a beta. It’s just that 343 made everyone pay $60-$100 for it.

> > Halo has had public online betas, and we gave Bungie feedback. With no Beta, this game feels like one and we could have prevented all the problems this game has.
>
> Halo 4 had a beta. It’s just that 343 made everyone pay $60-$100 for it.

True.

When Halo was made, the last thing on Bungie’s mind was competitive gaming. Halo CE happened to be capable of competitive play, and MLG was born from that. From Bungie themselves, all they ever looked at when designing the multiplayer was making a game they enjoyed.

And I’ll be honest, I’m glad 343 didn’t have a public beta for Halo 4. To my experience, public betas and shooters do not work well together. Halo 3’s beta was much more fun that the final product (based on what I’ve heard and seen). Halo Reach’s beta was much better and more fun than the final product, and same with the Gears 3 beta and final product. And perhaps what’s worse is that most people don’t even treat these betas as a betas, but as “demos”. What you then get is a few disgruntled people making a lot of noise about minor issues when discussion of real problems with these games get buried and forgotten.

Now, I will say that Halo 4 is far from perfect. But there is hope for it yet. We are only 3 months into the game’s life, and 343 has been providing week-by-week support. Hopefully, the game will live up to it’s potential.

> > Halo has had public online betas, and we gave Bungie feedback. With no Beta, this game feels like one and we could have prevented all the problems this game has.
>
> Halo 4 had a beta. It’s just that 343 made everyone pay $60-$100 for it.

Microsoft, Microsoft has final say on the retail price

> When Halo was made, the last thing on Bungie’s mind was competitive gaming. Halo CE happened to be capable of competitive play, and MLG was born from that. From Bungie themselves, all they ever looked at when designing the multiplayer was making a game they enjoyed.
>
> And I’ll be honest, I’m glad 343 didn’t have a public beta for Halo 4. To my experience, public betas and shooters do not work well together. Halo 3’s beta was much more fun that the final product (based on what I’ve heard and seen). Halo Reach’s beta was much better and more fun than the final product, and same with the Gears 3 beta and final product. And perhaps what’s worse is that most people don’t even treat these betas as a betas, but as “demos”. What you then get is a few disgruntled people making a lot of noise about minor issues when discussion of real problems with these games get buried and forgotten.
>
> Now, I will say that Halo 4 is far from perfect. But there is hope for it yet. We are only 3 months into the game’s life, and 343 has been providing week-by-week support. Hopefully, the game will live up to it’s potential.

Sadly I have to agree with you, the Reach Beta was a lot more enjoyable.

What I’m hoping is that 343 fixes the problems that this game posses, and then everyone can finally enjoy Halo 4 to its maximum potential.

> > > Halo has had public online betas, and we gave Bungie feedback. With no Beta, this game feels like one and we could have prevented all the problems this game has.
> >
> > Halo 4 had a beta. It’s just that 343 made everyone pay $60-$100 for it.
>
> Microsoft, Microsoft has final say on the retail price

Microsoft is irrelevant. The point of the comment was that you don’t pay to beta a game. Look at how many features were broken and known issues existed on the release and yet 343 still put Halo 4 on the shelves.

You bring up a good point

the biggest gripes I’ve see with the game so far and i agree is the game types. Though I’ve read it will be addressed more frequently in the feb TU. Another thing is why don’t they utilize all the maps that launched with the game. there are two that aren’t even in the rotation. They need to bring more than just a vahalla remake back. nostalgia will go a long way with the halo crowd. (lockout, the pit, guardian…just to name a few of my favs).

Honestly i couldnt care about how popular it was or is what matters to me is can i enjoy it. Currently no, enjoying halo 4 is like bashing my head against a wall over and over again. I do not find classed based shooters fun, arena was the only type of shooter i used to play. I wish they would have had a beta i would have known to cancel my pre order and never buy this game.

I want to play halo for arena based shooting, even starts all about map control and working as a team. It is no longer about this, it is now about making it as simple and as easy for everyone. It is about catering to everyones play styles, it is no longer about the flow of game and fair starts and it all being dependent on how you and your team work together.

I hate modern fps’s and now seeing as every fps is basically the same thing what is the point in even playing them.

> When Halo was made, the last thing on Bungie’s mind was competitive gaming. Halo CE happened to be capable of competitive play, and MLG was born from that. From Bungie themselves, all they ever looked at when designing the multiplayer was making a game they enjoyed.
>
> And I’ll be honest, I’m glad 343 didn’t have a public beta for Halo 4. To my experience, public betas and shooters do not work well together. Halo 3’s beta was much more fun that the final product (based on what I’ve heard and seen). Halo Reach’s beta was much better and more fun than the final product, and same with the Gears 3 beta and final product. And perhaps what’s worse is that most people don’t even treat these betas as a betas, but as “demos”. What you then get is a few disgruntled people making a lot of noise about minor issues when discussion of real problems with these games get buried and forgotten.
>
> Now, I will say that Halo 4 is far from perfect. But there is hope for it yet. We are only 3 months into the game’s life, and 343 has been providing week-by-week support. Hopefully, the game will live up to it’s potential.

343i needs to acknowledge balance and knowing how to follow canon to live up to their potential. All of these issues could’ve been avoided. I mean come on. There should be absolutely no excuse to why this game is the way it is now. Bungie gave all the materials to this game.

2-3 months into the games life and it feels like 343 is just so focused on like releasing new content and the infinity challenge instead of the issues with the game. I get that its going to take time for issues to be fixed and not everything can be done in a single Title Update, but it doesn’t seem like theres much focus or care about issues with the game. There have been fixes to exploits, its just the rest of the game I’m’ concerned about. The bulletins should be more meaty with information rather then a summary of what we know.

My biggest gripe with the game is just how incomplete it is. I wasn’t expecting this, sure all games come with issues, but I wasn’t expecting an incomplete game, of Halo’s status as a franchise.

I understand the challenges of a new development team, not to mention moving and supporting Reach, while additionally focusing on Halo Anniversary, but it just seems like alot more time should have been given to Halo instead of focusing on competing with other AAA games.