Halo should have faster default movement speeds/ higher jump heights

So I was playing the king of competitve FPS Quake Live last night and after being humbled as I usually am when I return to Quake and getting my -Yoink- handed to me a couple things struck me relating to movement speeds/jump heights and how they work with weapon balance/game dynamic:

1. Quakes movement speed/jump heights make aiming much harder, but also really help to balance the weapon Sandbox as landing shots with every weapon is difficult. They allow players to use all weapons effectively as you can get from long range to close range in less than a second allowing players to effectively use any weapon in the Sandbox. Players have to strategically use every weapon in the Sandbox to their advantage, but pure aiming skill will allow the best players to use for example the railgun at all ranges at a risk. They also allow for prediction shots with weapons like the grenade and rocket lancher.

2. The insane movement speeds allow players to reach all weapons on the map relatively easy, whereas in Halo that is not the case. This creates for much more weapon variation and seemless gameplay. The weapons/power-ups are also on shorter timers which in case fits the extreme game pace.

3. Quake is the prime example of how to balance and make a FPS with longer kill times with weapons as pick-ups,role-weapon balancing, and power-ups on the map.

So how does this relate to Halo? Well, as we know Halo also has weapon as pick-ups strategically placed on the map and power-ups. Halo has longer kill times, only in the case of Halo it comes from regnerating shields/health(except CE) not armor and health(which do not regenerate btw). Halo has emphasis on map control, as does Quake. Halo has weapon balancing and some weapons similar to Quake only it has differing reticles and movement speeds/jump heights. Now Quake is not like Halo, but it shares some similarites.The huge difference I think in what makes Quake a much better balanced FPS with similar layouts, is that Quakes much faster movement speeds/skill-based gameplay balances the weapon Sandbox and allows for much more weapon variation whereas Halos much slower almost tactical FPS movement speeds does not.

The flaw I see in Halo is that never once does player ability come into the balancing act. If you ignore the skill-requirement of balancing, role-weapon balancing (like Halo has) will always fall into RPS. . Halos sandbox is much more rock,paper,scissors as the result as encounters more likely come down to who has what weapon and player execution rather than player skill and strategy. Greater movement speeds would alleviate this problem and open the whole Sandbox up to players at all times.

I know alot of people might disagree with me, but I beg the question:
“Why did Bungie decide on tactical FPS movement speeds usually seen in games like CS and CoD for a more Arena FPS with longer kill times and weapons on the map as pick-ups?” Was it because it was made for the Xbox rather than the PC so they had to slow it down to compensate? Was it because they wanted it to be more tactical? This has always been the burning question in my mind about Halo, why the slower movement speeds/jump heights in a game like Halo? What advantages does it bring over faster movement speeds seen in a FPS like Quake with a similar layout? Why not increase the movement speeds significantly to allow for more weapon variation/better weapon balance and a more in depth FPS overall?

Now im not suggesting Quake movement speeds/jump heights but about half of that or faster movement speeds/higher less floaty jump heights would be very benefical to a FPS like Halo and I think it would open the whole Sandbox up and make it more balanced as well. I dont know the negative consesquences this could have on the game, but I am intrigued as to what Halo would be like with faster movement speeds and jump heights and thus more Arena like. I think it would be a much better balanced/ more in depth and dynamic FPS overall although and would alleviate any balance or weapon /variation problem. So, could Halo benefit from more Arena FPS movement speeds/jump heights(not exactly but closer) or are the current movement speeds/jump heights better? How does Halo benefit more from the slower movement speeds/jump heights it has now, rather than faster movement speeds/higher jumps that would open up the whole game?

Nobody has anything to say about this? Would faster movement speeds and higher jump heights benefit Halo and open up the Sandbox more, or is the more tactical pace of the game work better with the core game mechanic?

I do have to comment that Reach’s overall gameplay was too slow, It’s not just movement it is also because of:

• Slower kill times
  • Armor lock, jetpack and drop shield
  • Movement
  • Map design

AA’s and kill times were the most important factor. The kill times explain themselves but the AA’s: Armor Lock caused players to prolong death increased waiting. Jetpack made people go upwards and screwed with Halo’s on the ground gameplay.

I wonder if we can actually change the game so its not entirely focused on one weapon. Seems like without the DMR, players can’t do anything.

> I wonder if we can actually change the game so its not entirely focused on one weapon. Seems like without the DMR, players can’t do anything.

The Title Update will most likely change this and make a lot more weapons useable.

Yes. Reach Default movement speed is too slow for optimal gameplay, map movement, and map control. When Bungie put the game out, they knew that Sprint would be the main source of movement for players around the map. But what 343i needs to realize and hopefully will change in the incoming Title Update is that Sprint should not be the Primary source of movement speed. Sprint should only be a burst in speed while regular strafe and foot movement is increased and used to traverse the maps for easier map awareness and setting up map plays with your teammates. This is why people rarely can “Setup” like they used to in previous Halo games. It just takes to long to get to your teammates who needs aid, or even place yourself on a map to actually map a difference towards your teams offensive and defensive pushs.

We can only hope Default movement speed/Strafing is changed with the Title Update. As for jump height, maybe a tad higher just to make those more skillful jumps easier to land in quick fashion. Leave the floatiness of H3 out but a slight increase would not hurt the game.

> Yes. Reach Default movement speed is too slow for optimal gameplay, map movement, and map control. When Bungie put the game out, they knew that Sprint would be the main source of movement for players around the map. But what 343i needs to realize and hopefully will change in the incoming Title Update is that Sprint should not be the Primary source of movement speed. Sprint should only be a burst in speed while regular strafe and foot movement is increased and used to traverse the maps for easier map awareness and setting up map plays with your teammates. This is why people rarely can “Setup” like they used to in previous Halo games. It just takes to long to get to your teammates who needs aid, or even place yourself on a map to actually map a difference towards your teams offensive and defensive pushs.
>
> We can only hope Default movement speed/Strafing is changed with the Title Update. As for jump height, maybe a tad higher just to make those more skillful jumps easier to land in quick fashion. Leave the floatiness of H3 out but a slight increase would not hurt the game.

Nothing core in Reach’s gameplay is changing after the Title Update, it’s all going to be optional in Custom Games or shoved into certain playlists for Classic Gameplay.

Agreed. I much prefer higher movement speed so that strafing will actually have a noticeable effect.

Yeah, I really hope the TU does something about strafe speed and default movement speed. Right now you can’t even fix the strafing by increasing movement to 120% because you start sliding around when you try and change directions during a strafe.

reach was unbearably too slow

> > I wonder if we can actually change the game so its not entirely focused on one weapon. Seems like without the DMR, players can’t do anything.
>
> The Title Update will most likely change this and make a lot more weapons useable.

I thought it said the TU is keeping the basic Reach gameplay the same?

> > I wonder if we can actually change the game so its not entirely focused on one weapon. Seems like without the DMR, players can’t do anything.
>
> The Title Update will most likely change this and make a lot more weapons useable.

If thats true can I have your babies?

> I wonder if we can actually change the game so its not entirely focused on one weapon. Seems like without the DMR, players can’t do anything.

Increasing default movement speeds across the board would completely alleviate any weapon variation problem. The reason why Halos precision weapons dominate gameplay at high levels of gameplay is because:

1. Movement speeds are slower and predictable as a result players dont miss that often

2. Slower Movement speeds do not allow players the freedom to reach every weapon on the map and thus the primary spawn weapons will play the largest role in the game

3. Going to an automatic weapon or niche weapon is not worth the time it if your skilled enough with the primary spawn weapon

4. Having a CQB weapon is worthless when the enemy is out of close range as running up to him takes too long

5. Aim assist

Now compare that to a FPS like Quake where landing rails are much harder, as is using weapons like the lightning gun and consistently landing shots.

Faster movement speeds/higher jump heights would not only open up the whole weapon Sandbox, but create a more dynamic and more in depth Halo game overall.

The only problem I forsee is power weapons like the shotgun, rockets, and sword would need rebalancing to not make them the go to weapons for every situation. I dont know if its even possible or how it could play out but I believe a faster paced Halo game would be a better Halo game.

> Agreed. I much prefer higher movement speed so that strafing will actually have a noticeable effect.

Strafing in Quake, is lightyears ahead of strafing in Halo as is the overall movement depth. No encounter is the same.

I find that when Reach decreased movement speed and jump height, it made the grenades far too powerful. The grenades in Halo 3 were fine, but Reach grenades are very annoying. It deffenitely slows gameplay down too.

I think something like reach’s 110% movement speed, along with the removal of movement acceleration would do wonders. Basically Halo 2/Halo CE movement.