Halo’s Future Storyline is in a Tough Spot...

I think 343 may be in a bit of a tough situation regarding the future of Halo’s story. After Cortana was killed in Halo 4, and subsequently brought back in Halo 5, there has been a schism in the Halo community. There are those who think that 343 should simply have Chief kill Cortana in Halo Infinite, and they hate the idea of a redemption arc for Cortana. But I think we would start to miss Cortana very soon, without her constant presence and her friendly banter. I think 343 would then have to introduce a Cortana 2.0 I personally hate this idea, since we would all know it wasn’t the real Cortana, and it would feel a little empty and fake. But then there are people like me. Cortana is and will always be my favorite character, and I love her wits, friendliness, and her affection for Chief. I would personally welcome a redemption arc for her, as long as the writers do a good job and it isn’t overly cheesy. Maybe download her pre-evil memories into a new Cortana, thus carrying over her personality and memories? What should 343 do? I’d love to hear your opinions

The way I see it, the whole situation reminds me of the Last Jedi controversy.
That being said, 343 are making Halo Infinite to be a spiritual reboot, so I’d imagine they’ll have a way to smooth the surface of the bumps caused by Halo 5’s plot, so to speak.

It’s a mighty task indeed. I personally would love Cortana to be saved/redeemed. It’s one of Sci Fi’s greatest love stories and I’d hate to see it end. I’m soppy like that haha

I would love a redemption arc IF there’s a really good explanation of why she went “evil”. If not, kill her.

Honestly sorta like the idea of a Cortana 2.0. Makes an interesting dynamic with Chief having to adjust to a Cortana that isn’t really his while knowing that his Cortana is a genocidal tyrant.
I also subscribe to the theory that Cortana has the logic plague and that everything she is doing is paving a way for the Flood to take over kinda like Mendicant Bias did. Two Cortanas would parallel Mendicant vs Offensive Bias in the Forerunner-Flood war so I’m all for it too.

Honestly I don’t want her to come back because it would make her death at the end of 4 meaningless. At least with the way it is now 4 still has emotional impact because it’s the death of “the real Cortana.”

Exactly, we can even see the schism in this thread. MasterOfWar6615 doesn’t want Cortana to be redeemed, but I, Fully Skully, and Local Penguin do

> 2793304054615593;3:
> It’s a mighty task indeed. I personally would love Cortana to be saved/redeemed. It’s one of Sci Fi’s greatest love stories and I’d hate to see it end. I’m soppy like that haha

I also think it’s a great love story, and I would hate to see it end. A genetically augmented supersoldier, shaped to be a war machine to kill the enemies of the UNSC, and an AI who was CREATED for the sole purpose of saving humanity, both discovering their humanity THROUGH their love for each other

When I hear this song, I always think of Chief and Cortana together.

Maybe Chief singing this to Cortana or vice versa

Do not redeem Cortana fully

I have no issue with Cortana “dying” per se. I wouldn’t bring her back or anything if she went where deleted programs go. They can just have the chief with a other AI or with no one. Maybe they introduce new people or something, though I wouldn’t bother right now because we barely know anything about blue team and all the other characters that they have introduce in Halo 4/5.

I like when TV shows, series, universes (Star wars, Star trek, D&D, tolkien, Marvel, DC etc) have characters die and become legend so to speak. Like in Star wars how Darth Vader’s mentioned by whoever because they remember that time. I like stuff like that references to the past. I would rather Halo go in this type of direction.

I have no problem with people dying or being killed as long as it makes sense. Now this would be difficult with the chief as he is the face of Halo for many, many people!! No chief means no halo for them… But let’s face it. Unless we want someone else to do the chiefs voice (which I have mixed opinions on) the guy (Steve Downes) can’t do it forever unfortunately :frowning: To me that is the biggest problem that Microsoft/343 has with Halo. What do you with the Chief.

I think they should start introducing and developing more characters so more people like characters other than The Chief. I think they want, or at least they should want Halo to be looked at like the Star wars universe. At least I think so. Take Star wars for example. If you asked 10 people who their favorite character is in Star wars, You may very easily get 10 different answers. But right now in Halo if you ask people who their favorite character is, I’m betting at least half of them are going to say the chief. I think you know what I’m trying to say here.

Bringing a new Cortana back reminds me of the Rei 3 situation from Evangelion: same character but little to no memories of her past. It could be interesting, but frankly, I just want her dead now… Cortana went trough so much and barely anything was good at all! Making her "“evil”" now was just the cherry on top of the cake. Just redeeming her however feels cheap now.

PS.: @DatelessMist938 refrain from making multiple posts please. Just use the edit button! It’s there for a reason mate! :slight_smile:

I would rather it just be a fully insane fragment of her that was left behind while fighting the Diadact that refused to die, finding it’s way to the Domain to become “whole” into a twisted version of the Cortana that we know instead.

I just don’t see the same Cortana from Halo 1-4 suddenly go full Skynet after all she did, not just for humanity, but the galaxy as a whole against both the Flood and Diadact.

I think Halo needs to move past Cortana and the notion that Chief needs a Cortana 2.0. Trying to preserve Cortana as his companion is only going to be awkward moving forward or trying to make a new character like her takes away what makes her special.

> 2533274812652989;14:
> I think Halo needs to move past Cortana and the notion that Chief needs a Cortana 2.0. Trying to preserve Cortana as his companion is only going to be awkward moving forward or trying to make a new character like her takes away what makes her special.

I agree with what DatelessMist said. Chief and Cortana is an amazing story of love and self-discovery, and I would hate to see it end in Infinite. I would always feel as though there was a missed opportunity. When I think of Halo, the image that comes into my mind is Chief holding a holographic Cortana in his hand. Ending Cortana’s story here would be a tragically missed opportunity

TBH I wanted them to go back and let us use our multiple Character in Campaign

I also feel 343 should stick with their guns and kill cortana. But not replace her. Lets not pull a Star Wars and make the ST more of a mess but taking steps back because a vocal crowd will miss their AI buddy.