Halo: Reach's story was great, but it was told all wrong.

The only time you EVER feel like the Covenant is truly a threat is the cutscene where the gigantic Covenant fleet appears out of slipspace. The Covenant isn’t even attacking anything for the rest of the game. The Covenant forces just sit at their little battle posts and wait for you to come to them for most of the game.

> The only time you EVER feel like the Covenant is truly a threat is the cutscene where the gigantic Covenant fleet appears out of slipspace. The Covenant isn’t even attacking anything for the rest of the game. The Covenant forces just sit at their little battle posts and wait for you to come to them for most of the game.

I’m sure 30 years from now, 343i will decide to do a Halo: Reach Anniversary with better stuff.

Yes. I enjoyed most of the levels, but it just didn’t feel like we were defending anything against a powerful alien juggernaut. It was just activating switches and fighting off small scale swarms of Covenant.

> Yes. I enjoyed most of the levels, but it just didn’t feel like we were defending anything against a powerful alien juggernaut. It was just activating switches and fighting off small scale swarms of Covenant.

Maybe when playing The Pillar of Autumn of Legendary. Trying to destroy all the Phantoms to get a clear shot at the cruisers glassing port. Even then this is not necessary, I just hid by the stairs until Keyes said: “fire now, hit her in the gut!”

> > Yes. I enjoyed most of the levels, but it just didn’t feel like we were defending anything against a powerful alien juggernaut. It was just activating switches and fighting off small scale swarms of Covenant.
>
> Maybe when playing The Pillar of Autumn of Legendary. Trying to destroy all the Phantoms to get a clear shot at the cruisers glassing port. Even then this is not necessary, I just hid by the stairs until Keyes said: “fire now, hit her in the gut!”

I liked that part. That and Lone Wolf were some of the best moments in the game, along with the beach assault on Long Night of Solace.

> The only time you EVER feel like the Covenant is truly a threat is the cutscene where the gigantic Covenant fleet appears out of slipspace. The Covenant isn’t even attacking anything for the rest of the game. The Covenant forces just sit at their little battle posts and wait for you to come to them for most of the game.

True. But then you must not forget that Noble team are on practically the only part of Reach that doesn’t get the hell bombed out of it since the Covenant are after those Forerunner ruins.

I would have to agree. The only part that felt hopeless and really captured the essence of Reach’s story line was Lone Wolf. The Covanent didn’t really seem to be doing anything. I was really disappointed when I saw those scarabs just walk on by with out a fight.

> > The only time you EVER feel like the Covenant is truly a threat is the cutscene where the gigantic Covenant fleet appears out of slipspace. The Covenant isn’t even attacking anything for the rest of the game. The Covenant forces just sit at their little battle posts and wait for you to come to them for most of the game.
>
> True. But then you must not forget that Noble team are on practically the only part of Reach that doesn’t get the hell bombed out of it since the Covenant are after those Forerunner ruins.

In my opinion, this was Bungie’s mistake. They had us fighting these small scale battles which was supposedly for a greater purpose, but I think that the canon would have been less harmed if Noble Team took part in the massive scale battles that took place. That way they would have been just one of many battle groups that took part in the massive battle for Reach and ultimately failed - and everyone who survived would be none the wiser about Noble Team or their deeds.

agreed.
I like 343 to make a spin off after Halo 4 about one of the other stories in Reach, like First Strike for example. they can show Reach a lot more hopeless and threatening.

The mission Exodus kind of had a decent feeling to it. When the covenant ship destroyed those aircraft that were evacuating the civilians “Brutes are banging on my bay doors, we’ve got families on board”, that bit. As well as the bit where your in a falcon trying to kills the brutes that are attacking the marines.

> > The only time you EVER feel like the Covenant is truly a threat is the cutscene where the gigantic Covenant fleet appears out of slipspace. The Covenant isn’t even attacking anything for the rest of the game. The Covenant forces just sit at their little battle posts and wait for you to come to them for most of the game.
>
> I’m sure 30 years from now, 343i will decide to do a Halo: Reach Anniversary with better stuff.

Oh yeah, armor lock with better graphics ! :smiley:

I agree, i feel like you got through the map and kill elites on the way, but really you should be guarding stuff and forced to retreate.

I think we were all dissapointed because of the lack of good characters. I could really care less what happens to them except Jorge and 6.

Reach was just such a waste of potential all round. I’m pretty gutted at how badly Bungie dropped the ball with Reach frankly. They seem to have totally forgotten most of the main themes of the story!

. Scale. We didn’t even get to see the human fleet arrive or a good view of the Covenant, there was a bigger fleet view in 2!
. Team. The team was there, but none were developed at all. Thom was never mentioned. there was more character info on the pre release details than in the entire game. We never had all the team working as one.
. Loss. There was very little sense of loss due to flat characters (who deserved better), barely getting time to really see the planet or care about it.

Then there’s the ENORMOUS amount of missed potential…

. Why did Bungie feel the need to jump us to the action constantly?
. Why the piddly little levels?
. Why couldn’t we have seen 6 arrive on Reach? Get briefed at Castle before heading to Noble?
. Why did we never get to even meet Holland?!
. Why did they hire William Shatner for the emotional vocal parts!
. Why couldn’t we see them planning the Tip mission, see the army preparing etc?
. Why couldn’t we have seen characters like Buck etc. developed, familiar characters to remind us that it was a Halo game. . Why wasn’t the Field marshal character made into an actual written bad guy instead of used everywhere in a half -Yoinked!- way?
. Why not allow us to defend Anchor 9 on board as well, Halo 2 station style?
. Halsey was totally wasted.
. Why was Reach a desert?! in the books it’s heavily forested and lush!
. Why not show us Castle instead on Sword?
. Why invent the Falcon at all?! Just another thing to remove any feeling of a Halo game.
. The games levels should’ve been twice or a third longer at least
. Needed more levels, gaping holes in the story and chain of events.
. Why throw away the chance for a change in WC? Have us fight rebels, would be really fresh for Halo. Don’t make the plot blatantly obvious from the first level. Make the Covenant arrival an actual event!
. What happened to glorious Halo soundtracks?

The list goes on. Seriously, I just need that out of my system. Bungie lost it. Reach was an incredible palette, they could’ve done more than any other Halo with it. Instead, they seem to have tried less than ever before, totally forgotten their own core themes, missed more potential than they did even with 3, diluted the feeling even more and then just let it slide. I remain to this day, angry about what they did with Reach, really, really disappointed.

343 couldn’t do worse as far as I’m concerned. they seem like real fans, really busting to show what they can do and push things. I think Bungie got bored and stopped pushing. Glad it’s in 343’s hands. Just focus on story again please, it’s not that hard.

They didn’t have Frankie, that’s why it went wrong.

> I think we were all dissapointed because of the lack of good characters. I could really care less what happens to them except Jorge and 6.

yeah almost all the charcters are idiots