Halo reach ranking system

hey everyone i was wondering what 343 was going to do to reach. personally i hate the ranking system and i think theres no competitive edge to it. does anybody know if there changing it or not?

Are we going to see the ranking system that we have on Waypoint updated to be used in REACH instead of just an overall ranking between Campaign, Firefight, and Multiplayer? Like will we see the return of number ranking and maybe the Ranked and Social Playlists? I am very much a fan of Ranked and Social because it weeds out the guests and those that don’t take competition, on Halo, seriously like team killers, suicide jumpers, AFK players.

I know I am not the only one that thinks we need to see the ranks come back. I just really hope we will see a Ranked and Social list so we can get the casual guest gamers out of the rooms because we all know we think the worst when we get paired up with guests and the worst is usually the correct assumption. The global rank across all three gametypes (Matchmaking, Campaign, Firefight) is a bogus rank system it gives no insight to how good someone is at a particular gametype like SWAT. If anything, we should get Ranked put back on with the BPR that 343i came up with as the ranking system.

This is the best reason I have to date on why we need and deserve the Ranked and Social lists back.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=764962234&player=Capt%20Yesterday

This game has me paired up with a teammate bringing, into the room, three guests. This is what kills my motivation to pick up REACH and play when my friends are not online.

BPR’s cool but wouldn’t work as it is. As you know, betrayals decrease your BPR so it’ll put griefers paired up with legitimate bad players who just want to play.

Also, I played on my friends’s account, got him to sergeant and he has a greater BPR then me even though I’m a Kernel.

I know not everyone in a lobby usual has the same amount of skill as the other but if you notice, the system balances out the pros and the good together as they stay longer in the lobby.

Isn’t MLG competitive or Arena? Surely you don’t need a number next to your name all the time…?

For whatever reason people want to avoid imitating Halo 2 and Halo 3 as much as possible, even if it means tossing a great system that kills what we have now.

> For whatever reason people want to avoid imitating Halo 2 and Halo 3 as much as possible, even if it means tossing a great system that kills what we have now.

True that… Halo is my favorite game but I’d be lying if I didn’t see some gaming motivation dim out after I found out the number ranking and Ranked vs Social were done away with. What’s worse is now Action Sack and Griffball can add to the BPR too.

> BPR’s cool but wouldn’t work as it is. As you know, betrayals decrease your BPR so it’ll put griefers paired up with legitimate bad players who just want to play.
>
> Also, I played on my friends’s account, got him to sergeant and he has a greater BPR then me even though I’m a Kernel.
>
> I know not everyone in a lobby usual has the same amount of skill as the other but if you notice, the system balances out the pros and the good together as they stay longer in the lobby.
>
> Isn’t MLG competitive or Arena? Surely you don’t need a number next to your name all the time…?

I do not care for MLG and Arena… MLG does not make sense to me because I think a true pro can work around every weapon scenario. Plus, I do not like the 3 melee hit to kill system. Although, MLG’s version of Sanctuary is 10x better than Asylum. Arena to me is cool and all but I like the other lists better like Squad Slayer, SWAT, Snipers, Invasion… I feel like just Slayer, Slayer DMR’s, and Slayer Pro should not be the only ones that give a rank.

Sadly, I do need the number next to my name all the time. It gives me a desire to keep playing. I feel like I try and do better when I have the rank as a personal goal.

> > BPR’s cool but wouldn’t work as it is. As you know, betrayals decrease your BPR so it’ll put griefers paired up with legitimate bad players who just want to play.
> >
> > Also, I played on my friends’s account, got him to sergeant and he has a greater BPR then me even though I’m a Kernel.
> >
> > I know not everyone in a lobby usual has the same amount of skill as the other but if you notice, the system balances out the pros and the good together as they stay longer in the lobby.
> >
> > Isn’t MLG competitive or Arena? Surely you don’t need a number next to your name all the time…?
>
> I do not care for MLG and Arena… MLG does not make sense to me because I think a true pro can work around every weapon scenario. Plus, I do not like the 3 melee hit to kill system. Although, MLG’s version of Sanctuary is 10x better than Asylum. Arena to me is cool and all but I like the other lists better like Squad Slayer, SWAT, Snipers, Invasion… I feel like just Slayer, Slayer DMR’s, and Slayer Pro should not be the only ones that give a rank.
>
> Sadly, I do need the number next to my name all the time. It gives me a desire to keep playing. I feel like I try and do better when I have the rank as a personal goal.

THERE is nothing sad about it. You are only clamoring for a feature which has become synonymous with halo. IMO i think ranks should be in every playlist.

> I know I am not the only one that thinks we need to see the ranks come back. I just really hope we will see a Ranked and Social list so we can get the casual guest gamers out of the rooms because we all know we think the worst when we get paired up with guests and the worst is usually the correct assumption. The global rank across all three gametypes (Matchmaking, Campaign, Firefight) is a bogus rank system it gives no insight to how good someone is at a particular gametype like SWAT. If anything, we should get Ranked put back on with the BPR that 343i came up with as the ranking system.
>
> This is the best reason I have to date on why we need and deserve the Ranked and Social lists back.
>
> http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=764962234&player=Capt%20Yesterday
>
> This game has me paired up with a teammate bringing, into the room, three guests. This is what kills my motivation to pick up REACH and play when my friends are not online.

Personally, make parties with guests be filtered out from parties without guests. That way, you can have your rank and social at the same time without creating more playlists to spread the population out and make trueskill harder to work.

Second, make the trueskill system tighten its search for similar skilled players over less skilled players. There should be enough players in TS to add similar skilled players to do that, unless you are at the extreme of either side of the spectrum. If they tighten it up, it should work.

Seeing those recruits made me facepalm so hard, the recoil threw me off my chair.

> I know I am not the only one that thinks we need to see the ranks come back. I just really hope we will see a Ranked and Social list so we can get the casual guest gamers out of the rooms because we all know we think the worst when we get paired up with guests and the worst is usually the correct assumption. The global rank across all three gametypes (Matchmaking, Campaign, Firefight) is a bogus rank system it gives no insight to how good someone is at a particular gametype like SWAT. If anything, we should get Ranked put back on with the BPR that 343i came up with as the ranking system.
>
> This is the best reason I have to date on why we need and deserve the Ranked and Social lists back.
>
> http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=764962234&player=Capt%20Yesterday
>
> This game has me paired up with a teammate bringing, into the room, three guests. This is what kills my motivation to pick up REACH and play when my friends are not online.

i agree. the matchmaking system in reach is nothing short of terrible.

i was playing team classic and during the course of 1 night we didnt lose a single game, and beat 2 teams by FOURTY FIVE KILLS.

> > I know I am not the only one that thinks we need to see the ranks come back. I just really hope we will see a Ranked and Social list so we can get the casual guest gamers out of the rooms because we all know we think the worst when we get paired up with guests and the worst is usually the correct assumption. The global rank across all three gametypes (Matchmaking, Campaign, Firefight) is a bogus rank system it gives no insight to how good someone is at a particular gametype like SWAT. If anything, we should get Ranked put back on with the BPR that 343i came up with as the ranking system.
> >
> > This is the best reason I have to date on why we need and deserve the Ranked and Social lists back.
> >
> > http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=764962234&player=Capt%20Yesterday
> >
> > This game has me paired up with a teammate bringing, into the room, three guests. This is what kills my motivation to pick up REACH and play when my friends are not online.
>
> Personally, make parties with guests be filtered out from parties without guests. That way, you can have your rank and social at the same time without creating more playlists to spread the population out and make trueskill harder to work.
>
> Second, make the trueskill system tighten its search for similar skilled players over less skilled players. There should be enough players in TS to add similar skilled players to do that, unless you are at the extreme of either side of the spectrum. If they tighten it up, it should work.

I still say make everything ranked and then make 5 Social Gametypes: Social Slayer, Social Objective, Social BTB, ACTION SACK, LIVING DEAD.

Plus why should we only get two rooms of specific DLC… It makes everyone that actually bought the map packs feel short changed because now they cannot go to a specific gametype and be guaranteed one of the DLC maps. That creates a restriction for those actually put there cash towards Halo and DLC that they can only play Snipers on Tempest if the room in Premium Slayer want to play it. So now the person has to suffer the possibility of not playing Snipers and not playing on Tempest which makes the player 0 for 2(Gametype and Map) on what they wanted to play. If DLC was required to other playlists the player could be guaranteed 1 of 2 things(Gametype and Map) they wanted to play and they also have knowledge that the room will always have a strong possibility of drawing a DLC map.

Agreed 100%. If 343 reads there forums they should know more people want this then not

sigh

People, please stop putting ‘proof’ followed by anything but in a new thread of which there are already hundreds of duplicates.

> sigh
>
> People, please stop putting ‘proof’ followed by anything but in a new thread of which there are already hundreds of duplicates.

Its not just proof its a reason for. I couldnt say this hasnt happened to me but Capt yesterday is right. (Opinion)

Anyone else have any opinions on wanting it changed?