Halo: Reach Matchmaking Aborted / Server Shutdown

In light of the server shutdowns coming in December, I found the urgency to complete any outstanding achievements for my Halo games. For Reach, I had done all but 4 by 2012. These remaining four were all DLC achievements. One day in 2018, I got a group of randoms together and I boosted three. With only one left and now in 2021, I am trying to get this last pain in the butt, wasting ridiculous hours, only to repeatedly get this message:

“Matchmaking Aborted - We had to abort Matchmaking due to networking difficulties, please try again later.”

From the research I have done and the threads I have read, server issues haven’t been fixed since 2019. People were having problems connecting with their friends then, and I am having the same problem now!

Come on 343, some of us are completionists and have had a hard enough time earning these achievements, more specifically the DLC ones (which I tried to get from day one), and now we don’t even have the ability to get them due to server error. That’s not fair.

Fix the servers for us! You gave us until December! Honor your word.

Okay, so in case anyone was wondering, I initially thought this was a server issue. Now I’m not so sure…

*I still cannot join my friend (plus 3 Guest accounts) in the Matchmaking Lobby with my 3 Guest accounts, because when I do I get kicked back to the Reach main screen.
*Trying to load in to the same playlist in separate parties also fails after 20 seconds with the error message “Matchmaking Aborted - We had to abort Matchmaking due to networking difficulties, please try again later.”
*Signing in Guest accounts takes a stupid amount of time for them to register in Reach. A minute or so for one, and 5 minutes roughly for all three Guest accounts, and then it takes that little bit longer for them to display when on somebody else’s account (and waiting to join).
*After 2 minutes and 30 seconds, I managed to find my second account in Matchmaking - both accounts only had TWO controllers (the main and a guest). Attempted with both three and four controllers but I kept getting kicked to the main screen.
*Restarted search after 4 minutes and 30 seconds when it couldn’t find anyone else.
*Apparently it will let me join a friend if we both only have two active controllers (the main and a guest).
*Was able to search with a 4-man party, however, backed out after 5 minutes of finding no-one.

I don’t know what you’d class this problem as, but it’s been happening since 2012, here is a link:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/cdecc00475c645b9a4d0a156fb542d59/topics/halo-reach-guest/6f7eb315-49ea-4923-ae43-944b724b6f50/posts?page=1

There are also mentions in other threads complaining about the same issue! And in case you don’t believe me:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/cdecc00475c645b9a4d0a156fb542d59/topics/issue-regarding-a-storage-solution---halo-reach/83d8a7aa-64ad-4489-a5f3-547dcf10805a/posts

Aren’t there any admins monitoring Waypoint that can expedite this request? PLEEEEEEEASE!!!

I participated in a session earlier today for Halo Reach and we ran into the same issues. We would finally have a full lobby and it would immediately kick us with the same time of errors. It’s frustrating because we all have a lot of the DLC to do. I’m in matchmaking right now, solo queuing, and it keeps restarting the matchmaking when it finds players. I saw on Halo 4 as well, that it wouldn’t even let multiplayer work which means I couldn’t play the Spec Ops for achievements. We are 4-5months away from the servers closing and i’d love to get these done before then :frowning:

Fortunately, I have been able to play on my one x with the disc for the last month but starting two days ago, I was hit with networking difficulties. Have tried restarting router/modem, console, and even re-downloaded the base game and update. I might be a little late getting back on but my time isn’t up yet. Can anyone at 343 help us few left? :confused:

> 2533274949235012;3:
> I participated in a session earlier today for Halo Reach and we ran into the same issues. We would finally have a full lobby and it would immediately kick us with the same time of errors. It’s frustrating because we all have a lot of the DLC to do. I’m in matchmaking right now, solo queuing, and it keeps restarting the matchmaking when it finds players. I saw on Halo 4 as well, that it wouldn’t even let multiplayer work which means I couldn’t play the Spec Ops for achievements. We are 4-5months away from the servers closing and i’d love to get these done before then :frowning:

“Frustrating” is putting it politely! =) I’m sure there’s a load of people out there trying to do these before time runs out too.

I was looking at potential people to invite to do a boost session and when I compared your achievements on Xbox I noticed you’d completed the Don’t Touch That! on August 5th 2021, which is the pain in the butt I referred to in the original post. How did you work around the issues? Are they fixed or did everyone only have 1 to 2 controllers each?

Any more then two controls seems to disconnect its the same with halo 4

> 2533274910939734;6:
> Any more then two controls seems to disconnect its the same with halo 4

Yeah, funny that! Maybe it’s an intentional implement to stop gamers exploiting the system? The system that will no longer be functioning in FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS!!!

> 2533274874748341;7:
> > 2533274910939734;6:
> > Any more then two controls seems to disconnect its the same with halo 4
>
> Yeah, funny that! Maybe it’s an intentional implement to stop gamers exploiting the system? The system that will no longer be functioning in FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS!!!

What achievement’s do you need perhaps we could work together?

> 2533274874748341;5:
> > 2533274949235012;3:
> > I participated in a session earlier today for Halo Reach and we ran into the same issues. We would finally have a full lobby and it would immediately kick us with the same time of errors. It’s frustrating because we all have a lot of the DLC to do. I’m in matchmaking right now, solo queuing, and it keeps restarting the matchmaking when it finds players. I saw on Halo 4 as well, that it wouldn’t even let multiplayer work which means I couldn’t play the Spec Ops for achievements. We are 4-5months away from the servers closing and i’d love to get these done before then :frowning:
>
> “Frustrating” is putting it politely! =) I’m sure there’s a load of people out there trying to do these before time runs out too.
>
> I was looking at potential people to invite to do a boost session and when I compared your achievements on Xbox I noticed you’d completed the Don’t Touch That! on August 5th 2021, which is the pain in the butt I referred to in the original post. How did you work around the issues? Are they fixed or did everyone only have 1 to 2 controllers each?

Hey! Yeah! I managed to 100% Reach through a few sessions so it feels good to get that one down. As for Halo 3, those infection MP achievements are currently unobtainable. But yeah! As for the Don’t Touch That! achievement on Reach, we went in with a full squad each with a guest and then had everyone sit until the timer was done. Popped for everyone! The matchmaking can be finicky, but you can shoot me a message if you see that I’m ONLINE and i’d be glad to help!

@silent trooper3
I need the Halo Reach - Don’t Touch That! achievement. It’s the last one for all my Halo X360 games. Someone saw my post and has already contacted me about getting a party together, but I’d be happy to see if they’ll include you?

@BenderWin
They certainly aren’t making this easy for anyone. Unusable guests. Unobtainable achievements. What next? At least it’s encouraging to hear that everyone in your party popped the chievo. Well done! Thanks for offering to help out even though you have completed it already. I’ll definitely keep you in mind!

> 2533274874748341;10:
> @silent trooper3
> I need the Halo Reach - Don’t Touch That! achievement. It’s the last one for all my Halo X360 games. Someone saw my post and has already contacted me about getting a party together, but I’d be happy to see if they’ll include you?
>
> @BenderWin
> They certainly aren’t making this easy for anyone. Unusable guests. Unobtainable achievements. What next? At least it’s encouraging to hear that everyone in your party popped the chievo. Well done! Thanks for offering to help out even though you have completed it already. I’ll definitely keep you in mind!

I finished reach a long time ago but im trying to help my kids and a friend get them especially the invasion ones i can add two consoles if you need number’s :slight_smile:

> 2533274910939734;11:
> > 2533274874748341;10:
> > @silent trooper3
> > I need the Halo Reach - Don’t Touch That! achievement. It’s the last one for all my Halo X360 games. Someone saw my post and has already contacted me about getting a party together, but I’d be happy to see if they’ll include you?
> >
> > @BenderWin
> > They certainly aren’t making this easy for anyone. Unusable guests. Unobtainable achievements. What next? At least it’s encouraging to hear that everyone in your party popped the chievo. Well done! Thanks for offering to help out even though you have completed it already. I’ll definitely keep you in mind!
>
> I finished reach a long time ago but im trying to help my kids and a friend get them especially the invasion ones i can add two consoles if you need number’s :slight_smile:

Sounds great! I’ve sent a message to the organizer but he hasn’t responded to the first message I sent almost two weeks ago. If I don’t hear back in a few days, I’ll get it going myself. And we’ll DEFINITELY need all your consoles lol!

> 2533274874748341;12:
> > 2533274910939734;11:
> > > 2533274874748341;10:
> > > @silent trooper3
> > > I need the Halo Reach - Don’t Touch That! achievement. It’s the last one for all my Halo X360 games. Someone saw my post and has already contacted me about getting a party together, but I’d be happy to see if they’ll include you?
> > >
> > > @BenderWin
> > > They certainly aren’t making this easy for anyone. Unusable guests. Unobtainable achievements. What next? At least it’s encouraging to hear that everyone in your party popped the chievo. Well done! Thanks for offering to help out even though you have completed it already. I’ll definitely keep you in mind!
> >
> > I finished reach a long time ago but im trying to help my kids and a friend get them especially the invasion ones i can add two consoles if you need number’s :slight_smile:
>
> Sounds great! I’ve sent a message to the organizer but he hasn’t responded to the first message I sent almost two weeks ago. If I don’t hear back in a few days, I’ll get it going myself. And we’ll DEFINITELY need all your consoles lol!

Cool i can bring a maximum of 4 consoles if we fall short but would prefer to use 2 . message me on live when ever your ready :slight_smile:

> 2533274949235012;9:
> > 2533274874748341;5:
> > > 2533274949235012;3:
> > > I participated in a session earlier today for Halo Reach and we ran into the same issues. We would finally have a full lobby and it would immediately kick us with the same time of errors. It’s frustrating because we all have a lot of the DLC to do. I’m in matchmaking right now, solo queuing, and it keeps restarting the matchmaking when it finds players. I saw on Halo 4 as well, that it wouldn’t even let multiplayer work which means I couldn’t play the Spec Ops for achievements. We are 4-5months away from the servers closing and i’d love to get these done before then :frowning:
> >
> > “Frustrating” is putting it politely! =) I’m sure there’s a load of people out there trying to do these before time runs out too.
> >
> > I was looking at potential people to invite to do a boost session and when I compared your achievements on Xbox I noticed you’d completed the Don’t Touch That! on August 5th 2021, which is the pain in the butt I referred to in the original post. How did you work around the issues? Are they fixed or did everyone only have 1 to 2 controllers each?
>
> Hey! Yeah! I managed to 100% Reach through a few sessions so it feels good to get that one down. As for Halo 3, those infection MP achievements are currently unobtainable. But yeah! As for the Don’t Touch That! achievement on Reach, we went in with a full squad each with a guest and then had everyone sit until the timer was done. Popped for everyone! The matchmaking can be finicky, but you can shoot me a message if you see that I’m ONLINE and i’d be glad to help!

Hey! Thanks for offering! Definitely add me if you haven’t already! I actually ended up complete Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 3 MP achievements last month! The Halo 3 infection achievements ARE possible! I wrote an updated guide on True Achievements: Delicious Brains achievement in Halo 3 & Zombie Repeller achievement in Halo 3 > just scroll down a bit the BenderWin post, but to sum it up:

"As of August 30th 2021, the Rumble Pit Playlist and 7-on-7 playlists work for this achievement. I saw several Braiiins playlist it’s just a matter of getting one of these maps to complete it on:
The Mythic maps are as listed; Be sure to pay attention to the pictures because map variants still count!:

1. Assembly - Dismemberment (variant)
  2. Orbital - Andromeda (variant)
  3. Sandbox - Spooky House (variant)
  4. Longshore - Dead Docks (variant)
  5. Heretic
  6. Citadel"

All in all, you’re right, the matchmaking is SUPER finicky. From all the ones I’ve played so far, seems like H3 & ODST has a lot of dropped connection issues especially with cross-consoles (x1 with x360), H4 & Reach wait times for matchmaking even with a stacked group is incredibly long. Halo Wars (360) is my next one and I’m praying to the Halo gods that there are no issues LOL! GG!