Halo Reach killed Halo

And I can’t sum how I feel into words. There’s so much wrong. So much lost. So close. So far.

…These changes are for the better, but…I don’t even see how the pistol was left in ZB how it is. Its just so obviously flawed, much in the same way that Bloom is. This worries me about 343, but then I see Halo anniversary. OMG. Best thing to happen to Halo since…Halo 1. That right there upsets me. The remake of Halo 1 is the best Halo game to come out since the original version? And the remake doesn’t even have the original MP? Its using the MP from the worst game in the series? With 1 playlist? And what in the -Yoink!- -Yoink- is 85% bloom? What in the -Yoink!- -Yoink-…

Look, Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach were all great games, but they just aren’t on Halo’s level. They could’ve been so much more than they turned out to be.

I don’t know…I miss Halo, I just want whats best for it. It has SOOOOOOO much potential that has just been wasted time after time. Its like someone waking you up from a great dream over and over. I go online with hopes of the dream becoming real, but…idk.

343 seems amazing at times. Remaking Halo 1, working with MLG, making zero bloom a reality…those are all bigger dreams becoming a reality than anything Bungie ever did. Ever. EVER. Those things are so huge compared to anything you could possibly bring up that Bungie ever did besides make Halo 1. I think ALOT of people feel the same way.

I don’t have a way to sum this up, but I didn’t intend to. I just don’t like very much about what Halo has become and it literally upsets me. I’m not angry or sad, just…upset. I’m uncomfortable with how Halo has been abused and it makes me almost sick, almost sad, and almost mad and I wanted to say it so there.

> 343 seems amazing at times. Remaking Halo 1, working with MLG, making zero bloom a reality…those are all bigger dreams becoming a reality than anything Bungie ever did. Ever. EVER.

Bungie gave us Forge, which has revolutionized the multiplayer experience even despite Reach’s glaring flaws. And if Bungie hadn’t given us Megalo, 343 wouldn’t have been able to do half of what they’ve done as well as they’ve done it.

I agree that Reach isn’t the best Halo game out there, and I agree that Bungie made some huge missteps, but try to show a little respect and give cR where it’s due. :\

Halo never needed forge, and it didn’t “revolutionize” gameplay. It’s not even a map maker. And I wasnt given megalo. If we were given megalo we would have fixed the game. I said 2-Reach were good games, but got into halo before there was ever a halo 2 and I know how much potential the game had. I KNOW. I cannot thank Bungie for anything except halo 1, but that wasnt the same Bungie. The Bungie I knew talked -Yoink- on Halo 1 and gave it the cold shoulder and in doing so killed something that used to be my favorite past-time. I am not thankful for that.

> Look, Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach were all great games, but they just aren’t on Halo’s level. They could’ve been so much more than they turned out to be.

They aren’t on Halo’s level?

Halo 2 revolutionized xbox live. Giving way to how a MP should feel online.

Halo 3 was a large selling point for microsoft for purchases of xbox 360’s. If Halo 3 wasnt released, the xbox 360 would likely not be the same xbox we see today.

Halo Wars was Halo’s attempt at trying on a new genre. And despite the fact you cant run-and-gun, it WAS a good game.

ODST brought forth Halo’s take on Horde mode and gave us a addictive survival mode. It also gave us a first-time chance to play as a very mortal human being instead of a S-II/S-III

And Halo Reach…it was Bungie’s attempt at making their last game the best. It was flawed here and there, but what game isnt? Halo CE may have had the best story, but it had no online. Halo Reach could have been better. But I personally enjoy the new modes like Invasion and headhunter. And where Halo’s MM is controversal to the mockery of AA’s and with a relatively bland story. I felt it made up for it in how you are Noble 6, you can customize how your spartan looks for all modes. That was the biggest selling point for me.

if you only like CE why have you stuck with halo all these years?

I wanted to take you seriously, but youre downing on every halo except ce because you dont like their gameplay mechanics so much, you are willing to overlook campaign, firefight, customs, forge, forge world, and theatre…

I cant help but feel you are biased to halo ce.

I personally love halo ce for windows and I get on for a match of blood gultch ctf or triforce on hang em usually once a week… But I get on reach 5-7 times a week.

Reach has debuffed halo 2’s registration and halo 3’s worse registration from lack of hitscan. Reach has fixed most networking problems and multiplayer exploits/manipulations. Reach offers diverse gameplay and playlists, and while I miss double xp weekend, there are challenges, something which gets me on nearly every day and exponentially multiplies replay value.

Reach is an awesome game and the best halo yet IMO. And if you dont like reach, there are a lot of private servers for CE online (gamespy), plus if you have it for xbox you never had online in the first place, so whats to rage about?

> > Look, Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach were all great games, but they just aren’t on Halo’s level. They could’ve been so much more than they turned out to be.
>
> They aren’t on Halo’s level?
>
> Halo 2 revolutionized xbox live. Giving way to how a MP should feel online.
>
> Halo 3 was a large selling point for microsoft for purchases of xbox 360’s. If Halo 3 wasnt released, the xbox 360 would likely not be the same xbox we see today.
>
> Halo Wars was Halo’s attempt at trying on a new genre. And despite the fact you cant run-and-gun, it WAS a good game.
>
> ODST brought forth Halo’s take on Horde mode and gave us a addictive survival mode. It also gave us a first-time chance to play as a very mortal human being instead of a S-II/S-III
>
> And Halo Reach…it was Bungie’s attempt at making their last game the best. It was flawed here and there, but what game isnt? Halo CE may have had the best story, but it had no online. Halo Reach could have been better. But I personally enjoy the new modes like Invasion and headhunter. And where Halo’s MM is controversal to the mockery of AA’s and with a relatively bland story. I felt it made up for it in how you are Noble 6, you can customize how your spartan looks for all modes. That was the biggest selling point for me.

They still weren’t Halo. Each game was dumbed down more than the last, and that brought us to Reach.

> I wanted to take you seriously, but youre downing on every halo except ce because you dont like their gameplay mechanics so much, you are willing to overlook campaign, firefight, customs, forge, forge world, and theatre…
>
> I cant help but feel you are biased to halo ce.
>
> I personally love halo ce for windows and I get on for a match of blood gultch ctf or triforce on hang em usually once a week… But I get on reach 5-7 times a week.
>
> Reach has debuffed halo 2’s registration and halo 3’s worse registration from lack of hitscan. Reach has fixed most networking problems and multiplayer exploits/manipulations. Reach offers diverse gameplay and playlists, and while I miss double xp weekend, there are challenges, something which gets me on nearly every day and exponentially multiplies replay value.
>
> Reach is an awesome game and the best halo yet IMO. And if you dont like reach, there are a lot of private servers for CE online (gamespy), plus if you have it for xbox you never had online in the first place, so whats to rage about?

its better in some areas. no one is arguing against that.

the problem, however, is in the MOST IMPORTANT ways (the core game mechanics) some of them are FACTUALLY suboptimal, and others of them are debatable, but perceived as “bad” by some people.

we have a lot of unintuitive, contradictory, skill gap removing, illogical mechanics in reach.

Go play Halo:CE then if your gonna say all the other halo games are not halo even though they are called HALO games. Btw anniversary only has reach multiplayer because they did not have time to remake halo:ce’s original multiplayer. I love reach. I do not know why people complain about bloom and armor lock. I kind of like bloom because it helps me pace my shots and armor lock is just a small annoyance that I do not really care about. There was no need to make this useless thread. There have been a thousand exactly like it.

> And Halo Reach…it was Bungie’s attempt at making their last game the best. It was flawed here and there, but what game isnt? Halo CE may have had the best story, but it had no online. Halo Reach could have been better. But I personally enjoy the new modes like Invasion and headhunter. And where Halo’s MM is controversal to the mockery of AA’s and with a relatively bland story. I felt it made up for it in how you are Noble 6, you can customize how your spartan looks for all modes. That was the biggest selling point for me.

Halo Reach was no bungie’s concerted attempt to do anything. AAA developers putting their all into their final game of a franchise don’t cut so many corners and apathy their way to release that the banshee AI can’t respond to any other target than the falcon, that the friendly AI can hardly enter a vehicle, that the level design is based on buttons, that Sword Base was reused no less than five times throughout this game (when Halo 3 reused one campaign level segment but with substantial revisions and an enemy pallete swap), that the campaign doesn’t have a plot (not to be confused with a setting) until The Package, that unshippable -Yoink- like armor lock makes it’s way past a beta, no less, and to the final game, that the armor customizer, despite how many individual pieces there are and how many possible ways they can be combined in even one chest/head/limb permutation, is restricted to only a relatively small set of Bungie-approved combinations of visors, sensors, grenades, and other bits which make the least of the feature, and that the only novel contributions to this grand send-off to Halo are the above gimmick which shouldn’t have been and two gametypes (those which you mentioned) which were ripped straight out of UNREAL TOURNAMENT!

Reach is controversial, Reach “could have been better,” because absolutely no effort was put into it beyond the bare minimum required to send it off to market. And the only thing standing in the way between that crushingly disappointing reality and the middle ground that you, for instance (though I don’t really mean to single you out here,) try to find as certain assumptions about Halo inform your opinion about what you experience now and bring that perception, however deviant, in line with what you believe should be the case for a game like this. Now I’m not exaggerating the case and stating that everyone is a super massive fanboy when they should instead be a massive troll, but rather I’m arguing that the chain of events that goes on within your psyche that begins with “Halo” and ends with “Reach” predisposes you to a certain conclusion about just what the latter will contain. And however toweringly crappy that may end up being, you will still find good because of the facade of the Halo brand name.

So, if you take anything away from this, next time you play Reach just try to see it from a different point of view. Not “this is Halo, the brother to all those that came before and their objective equal because of it,” which seems to me the normal paradigm, but instead sincerely question “how much of what I feel now is an honest reaction to what I’m experiencing and how much of it is, instead, a reaction to what I believe I’m experiencing.” There is a very powerful distinction between the two, and this game is banked on you not finding it.

It did for me. With the release of Reach I began to play less Halo, and moved back to playing Quake. Oh well… maybe H4 can fix that ;]

> And I can’t sum how I feel into words. There’s so much wrong. So much lost. So close. So far.
>
> …These changes are for the better, but…I don’t even see how the pistol was left in ZB how it is. Its just so obviously flawed, much in the same way that Bloom is. This worries me about 343, but then I see Halo anniversary. OMG. Best thing to happen to Halo since…Halo 1. That right there upsets me. The remake of Halo 1 is the best Halo game to come out since the original version? And the remake doesn’t even have the original MP? Its using the MP from the worst game in the series? With 1 playlist? And what in the -Yoink!- Yoink! is 85% bloom? What in the -Yoink!- Yoink!..
>
> Look, Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach were all great games, but they just aren’t on Halo’s level. They could’ve been so much more than they turned out to be.
>
> I don’t know…I miss Halo, I just want whats best for it. It has SOOOOOOO much potential that has just been wasted time after time. Its like someone waking you up from a great dream over and over. I go online with hopes of the dream becoming real, but…idk.
>
> 343 seems amazing at times. Remaking Halo 1, working with MLG, making zero bloom a reality…those are all bigger dreams becoming a reality than anything Bungie ever did. Ever. EVER. Those things are so huge compared to anything you could possibly bring up that Bungie ever did besides make Halo 1. I think ALOT of people feel the same way.
>
> I don’t have a way to sum this up, but I didn’t intend to. I just don’t like very much about what Halo has become and it literally upsets me. I’m not angry or sad, just…upset. I’m uncomfortable with how Halo has been abused and it makes me almost sick, almost sad, and almost mad and I wanted to say it so there.

Maybe its just you that thinks this.Halo:ce does not stand up to ODST in campaign.Halo 2 was THE BEST MULTIPLAYER, Halo 3 was just in inovation in forge with millions of hours of fun. Halo:Reach was a flawed game based on feedback by you [The Community], yet had a decent campaign and what i think a good add-on “Armor abilities” that followed and tied to Halo:ce. Maybe it’s just me but Halo:ce was fun and all but not compared to it’s present evolution. One more thing, please don’t talk about Bungie like that. They’re probably the only Game Studio that ever listened to it’s Community, you should be greatful.

When I was in the Army we had a saying that no unit is as good as the one you just PCS’d from.

Everyone will always complain about the current game and complain it should be like the previous one.

When Halo 4 comes out we’ll see rants that it should be just like Reach because OMG, Reach was like just TOTALLY the best most competitive and balanced Halo ever.

I must admit the only reason why I noticed the trend of “this halos nothing compared to the last one” is because I said the same thing about halo 3. One thing I never said about halo 3 though was “this isn’t halo”. Why because its just a really dumb thing to say. So please if your reading this stop saying any halo isn’t halo. It is one of the dumbest trends I’ve ever seen.

If you don’t like Halo Reach, don’t play Halo Reach. And guess what, we don’t care what game you play or not.

> When Halo 4 comes out we’ll see rants that it should be just like Reach because OMG, Reach was like just TOTALLY the best most competitive and balanced Halo ever.

I can assure you that there will be no true competitive player shedding a tear when Reach demises unless Halo 4 is a trainwreck and I think it’d take quite the effort to surpass Bungie’s parting turd.

> And I can’t sum how I feel into words. There’s so much wrong. So much lost. So close. So far.
>
> …These changes are for the better, but…I don’t even see how the pistol was left in ZB how it is. Its just so obviously flawed, much in the same way that Bloom is. This worries me about 343, but then I see Halo anniversary. OMG. Best thing to happen to Halo since…Halo 1. That right there upsets me. The remake of Halo 1 is the best Halo game to come out since the original version? And the remake doesn’t even have the original MP? Its using the MP from the worst game in the series? With 1 playlist? And what in the -Yoink!- Yoink! is 85% bloom? What in the -Yoink!- Yoink!..
>
> Look, Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach were all great games, but they just aren’t on Halo’s level. They could’ve been so much more than they turned out to be.
>
> I don’t know…I miss Halo, I just want whats best for it. It has SOOOOOOO much potential that has just been wasted time after time. Its like someone waking you up from a great dream over and over. I go online with hopes of the dream becoming real, but…idk.
>
> 343 seems amazing at times. Remaking Halo 1, working with MLG, making zero bloom a reality…those are all bigger dreams becoming a reality than anything Bungie ever did. Ever. EVER. Those things are so huge compared to anything you could possibly bring up that Bungie ever did besides make Halo 1. I think ALOT of people feel the same way.
>
> I don’t have a way to sum this up, but I didn’t intend to. I just don’t like very much about what Halo has become and it literally upsets me. I’m not angry or sad, just…upset. I’m uncomfortable with how Halo has been abused and it makes me almost sick, almost sad, and almost mad and I wanted to say it so there.

Let me quote you right here.

“I hate every Halo game except CE because they feature Xbox Live, which I am awful at and therefore proceed to complain that if I’m not good, the games must not be good either, because I am a reference point for all that is good.”

That about sums it up.

Look, I said Halo games besides CE were good games. They are GOOD…but they aren’t on CE’s level. You can site things like matchmaking, forge, true skill, theater, etc. The problem is that all those things don’t make up Halo’s gameplay. Bungie changed every little thing about the gameplay that sold millions of copies in the first place.

The reality is that there are basically 3 versions of Halo:
Halo CE = version 1
Halo 2, 3, and ODST = version 2
Reach = version 3

I personally think Reach with no bloom or armor abilities would have been the best halo since CE. Simple issues like bloom Bloom and AA’s RUINED it for the rest of the game. I can still see the rest of what’s great about Halo shining through Reach’s problems, but its problems spoil the whole experience because they are a part of the whole experience.

I’m not gonna sugar coat it., I still say 343 has done more to impress me without even have released a game than Bungie ever did. Bungie did make some great games, but they didn’t live up to the original. Halo already had the formula for fun, rewarding, while still challenging gameplay. Every video game ever made should have a goal of balancing fun, challenge, and reward. Halo CE did it the best by far without the need for a bunch of extra features and gimmicks.

For all of you telling me not to play Reach if I don’t like it; I like a lot about all the Halo games, i just KNOW how much better they couldve been because I learned Halo by playing the original Halo over 9 years ago. I am a Halo player and I enjoy the individual skills beyond aiming and shooting. I can squeeze enjoyment out of any halo game because I know Halo. I know how to play not to simply perform the best, but have fun doing it. I just want Halo to be as good as I know it can be.

Reach made Halo fun again for me. Wars was kinda boring, ODST was barely a full game, Reach was the full package. Best Halo since CE, despite the unforgivable sins by Bungie that were hugely important things like bloom and armor lock.

A lot has changed since Halo C.E.

When Halo 2 came out, everyone except the people who complained Halo 2 and thereafter was not exactly like C.E. loved it.

I played Halo C.E. Enjoyed it, but didn’t fall in love with it.

Played Halo 2, I had a ton of fun just playing campaign with some buddies.

I LOVED the improvements and all the new features.

While you sat on your -Yoink- and cried that it wasn’t EXACTLY THE SAME AS HALO 1.

Go back to playing Halo 1 if you don’t like it.