Halo Reach End Idea!

The planet is getting glassed and all spartans have died, radio transmisson calls out “is there any survivors out there, please respond”. After a 5 second blank screen they show Noble 6 and he responds “This is John 117”, they pick him up and on board Captain Keyes says,“We may have lost the battle son, but we’ll finish the fight on their planet”.

This leads up to beginning of halo CE.

MASTER CHIEF!!!

I’m assuming you haven’t read The Fall of Reach, The Flood, or First Strike and played Halo: Combat Evolved. As i’m predicting you haven’t done so, I won’t spoil it for you.

But just as a head’s up bro, none of this is possible.

I am going to be posting story related spoilers below, so don’t read if you have not read the three books mentioned in the previous post. (In hindsight, what these forums need are spoiler tags)

—SPOILERS REGARDING THE FALL OF REACH—~

Master Chief was conducting an operation to enforce the Cole Protocol aboard a station in orbit around Reach alongside two SPARTAN II’s. This was Red Team, Blue Team was groundside defending the MAC Cannon Generators from Covenant fire. After Master Chief successfully retrieved the data core (losing a squad mate in the process), John and Grace were extracted by the PIllar of Autumn. Grace was immediately placed in cryo-storage due to life threatening injuries. John (MC) was placed into cryo-storage shortly after the PoA made the jump to slipspace to a “random” set of coordinates, calculated by the AI Cortana. Thus begin the events of Halo: Combat Evolved after this jump.

—END SPOILERS REGARDING THE FALL OF REACH—

So, as you can see; it would be physically impossible for Noble 6 to be Master Chief. As he cannot be in two places at once, and the fact that doing so would tear apart the canon of the Halo universe.

MASTER CHIEF at the end of Halo 3 some how time travel’d to the past and well help save the day with Noble 6…Wont happen but would be AMAZING!..the MC needs to come bk, halo doesn’t feel right without him and it would be a shame if the last Bungie Halo didn’t have the series Main Character taking past.

Going back in time? Time Paradox anyone? BTW would it be better if that planet was etheir the original forrunner planet or the Covenant’s planet?

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!
Guys, time travel would be overdoing it as far as an alternate ending goes; and furthering the whole “time-travel” thing with the Chief and Noble Six going on to alter “history” to the point that the Humans won the war with the Covenant and everyone lives happily ever after would just turn Halo into either Stargate or Star Trek.
…Not what we’re looking for here.
My idea (one version of which I also posted roughly one to two months ago on one of the Bungie forums) is one that, while ensuring Six’s survival, would also maintain the integrity of the Halo storyline. Basically, what should happen is that the firefight style of “Lone Wolf (mission)” should remain unchanged up to the point where Noble Six is so hurt that he falls to his knees. However, if a certain sequence of events and/or activities take place as a consequence (no, not bad “consequence”) of the player’s actions, then a different/better sequence of events would take place. This could include the difficulty level on which the player is playing, killing specific enemies, killing a specific number of enemies, being at a specific place when the player goes down, having a specific armor ability or weapon when the player goes down, lasting for a set amount of time (probably a very long amount, otherwise the alternate ending would just become the normal ending), or even a combination of these. Anyway, without further ado, or however-you-spell-it, here it is:

-IDEA SPOILER-

Noble Six, obviously hurt and/or out of breath, drops his helmet once it becomes a serious hinderence and the view of the continuing shootout now takes place from the POV of the helmet-cam. Picking up his Assault Rifle (or other weapon depending on the above possibilities), he or she runs to some sort of cover. Behind this cover will be one of the dead Spartans which may or may not (conveniently) have an identical helmet to Six’s discarded headgear. Taking the helmet and donning it, Six makes a break for a Ghost, Revenant, Wraith, or other vehicle (I won’t preclude the possibility of him or her taking a Banshee or drop ship, be it a Phantom or Spirit… you just can’t predict badassery, guys) and makes his escape.
Cut to the view of the helmet from the opening sequence which will slowly fade to the view of the helmet on the “rejuvenated” Reach. Dr. Halsey’s voice over will instead go something like, "It didn’t take long for Reach to fall; our enemy was ruthless. Efficient. But they weren’t nearly fast enough. For you had already passed the torch, and because of you, we found Halo; unlocked its secrets and shattered our enemies’ resolve." Pan out and to the left to show the Human colony ship that has landed on Reach. As you watch you’ll notice a cloud of dust rising in a pattern that suggests that “some vehicle,” eventually shown to be a Warthog, is headed for the helmet. Halsey’s VO continues, “Now we are tasked with reaching out to the stars again. Without many of their heroes to look to, humanity is uncertain. Afraid.” The approaching Warthog stops, and a figure in an obviously more advanced version of MJOLNIR jumps onto the grass, walks toward the now-ancient and useless headgear, and pulls it out of the dirt. "But, with someone like you to watch over them, they have nothing to worry about…"
As the armored figure walks back to his or her ride, we hear in the given Noble Six voice, "Huh. Imagine that."

-END IDEA SPOILER-

Anyway guys, that’s my take on a realistic yet no-less-enjoyable alternate ending. I hope that you guys realize that I’m not saying that your ideas suck; it’s just that they really don’t fit into the way the Halo universe runs. Regardless, I appreciate any critiques or criticisms that you may have to offer.
One last thing for you to consider: GUYS, WE WANT THIS ALTERNATED ENDING, HOWEVER IT MAY BE WRITTEN/PLAYED, TO BECOME A REALITY, RIGHT? NOT TO SOUND LIKE SOME SORT OF REVOLUTIONARY, WE REALLY DO NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND START PROMOTING THIS OUTSIDE FORUMS. MY OPINION IS THAT WE WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE A PETITION THAT WE’D BRING TO 343i SINCE WE KNOW THAT BUNGIE IS PASSING ON TO THEM THE MAINTENANCE AND DLC-TYPE STUFF FOR THE HALO UNIVERSE. IF THERE ARE ANY OUT THERE WHO READ THIS FORUM POST, LET’S GET TOGETHER AND START WORKING ON IT!

Sincerely.
DAVID B312

Well, you were correct up until the part where 6 goes for cover.

Obviously Reach has ben released, and most of us comprehend the ending, but for those who don’t (Not insinuating you), i will state it anyway.

In the Level Lone Wolf, you fight for as long as you can, going by the message on screen “Current Objective: Survive”. When Noble 6 can take no more damage, the screen fades to black, rendering the player unable to fight any longer. The cutscene starts:-

6’s point of view, he/she is shown (in 1st person still) throwing his/her helmet onto the ground, and then reaching for an Assault Rifle. Camera then goes into the helmets point of view, and sound is muffled. 6 is shown shooting an Elite Ultra, thus killing it. A burst of plasma repeater (or standard rifle) rounds go straight through 6’ lower abdomen. 6, now wounded, turns around to duel wield his/her magnum and assault rifle, mowing down various elites before him/her. As another elite charges past the helmet, our view is slightly more obstructed by the deceased elites on the ground. The charging elite knocks 6 over, and attempts to stab him/her with its wrist-energy sword. 6 kicks the elite away, as another elite-this being a Zealot-approaches 6 on the floor. 6 elbows the Zealot in the jaw, stunning it and knocking it back. The Ultra 6 previously kicked away returns and pins him/her down, whilst the Zealot plunges its wrist-sword into 6. However, before the sword makes contact with 6, the screen cuts out to the all familiar seen of 6’s helmet on the ground. In the backround there is the famous semi-split mountain, and a wreckage of a ship. This is also witnessed at the start of the game, which at first led to much confusion.
The scene is then changed. It is still in the same location, but it is many years later-as shown by the grassy green pastures covering Reach, other than the previous hell Reach was in. 6’s helmet is still lying there, with a single bullet hole in the visor. Instead of the wreckage we saw, there is a UNSC ship landed quite a distance away, that seems to be intact. During this specific part of the cutscene, we hear Dr. Halsey talking (i will not spoil what she says).

Note, at the beginning of this part of the cutscene, the date reads July 7, 2589, which is recordable as many years after the debatable ending of the Human-Covenant War. Many people have argued wether the UNSC ship in the backround is the remainder of Forward Unto Dawn-The last place Master Chief was seen in (Ending cutscene after credits in Halo 3-Master Chief and Cortana plummet toward an unknown planet, code named The Legendary Planet.) This is an unlikely possibility as the ship in this cutscene is noticably different to Forward Unto Dawn, and does not seem scathed. The reason for it being Forward Unto Dawn is that the scene is set many years after the final H3 event. It is not a very strong arguement, and no i do not agree that it is him.

Bungie has deliberately left the community imagining what happened to Master Chief. As he was last witnessed entering Cryogenetic Sleep, as he first came into the story. I believe that he is alive, but i don’t want the whole thing to be ruined by an unrealistic run-and-gun heroic return.

I’m glad other people fixed this issue, that first idea made my brain hurt it was so terrible. Sorry.

> The planet is getting glassed and all spartans have died, radio transmisson calls out “is there any survivors out there, please respond”. After a 5 second blank screen they show Noble 6 and he responds “This is John 117”, they pick him up and on board Captain Keyes says,“We may have lost the battle son, but we’ll finish the fight on their planet”.
>
> This leads up to beginning of halo CE.
>
> MASTER CHIEF!!!

1. What would be the point of The Pillar of Autumn taking off with Cortana and not Chief?
  2. John is a Spartan II, Noble 6 is a Spartan III. Makes no biological sense.
  3. All the Spartans haven’t died, some fled and went into slip space (E.g. Katana Team) and got trapped in Shield World.
  4. Listen to Noble 6’s voice, and then John’s. Similarity-I think NOT.
  5. The Pillar of Autumn takes off, makes a blind jump. Captain Keyes-“Cortana, where’s the Chief?”
    Cortana-“I don’t know, I thought you knew?”
    Captain Keyes-“No! Oh -Yoink- we left him on Reach.”
    Cortana-“Shall we go back for him?!”
    Captain Keyes-“Na, screw him. We can win this war on our own right?”
    - Silence in the Bridge -

EPIC PLOT LINE FAIL.

parempal, you just lost the game.

Well, first, I would like to say thank you for your critiques. Your post was well thought out and accurately described the cutscene. However, if my suggestion were like the cutscene currently playing on the screens of so many gamers, it would hardly be fitting as an alternate ending; it would be more like an alternate version of the same ending if catch my meaning. What I am suggesting is that, because none of the topography in front of the helmet was shown in the opening cutscene of the game, what the helmet-cam records (along with the adjacent scenery) sould be subject to change. After all, if the player’s appearance depends on the gamer’s choice, why not the ending?

As for the whole “F.U.D.'s butt-end” theory… if ya’ll look closely, you’ll realize that there is no possible way that this could be the Chief’s express ride to a sequel. The design is closer to a descendant of the POA-type of ship. Sorry, guys.

> Well, first, I would like to say thank you for your critiques. Your post was well thought out and accurately described the cutscene. However, if my suggestion were like the cutscene currently playing on the screens of so many gamers, it would hardly be fitting as an alternate ending; it would be more like an alternate version of the same ending if catch my meaning. What I am suggesting is that, because none of the topography in front of the helmet was shown in the opening cutscene of the game, what the helmet-cam records (along with the adjacent scenery) sould be subject to change. After all, if the player’s appearance depends on the gamer’s choice, why not the ending?
>
> As for the whole “F.U.D.'s butt-end” theory… if ya’ll look closely, you’ll realize that there is no possible way that this could be the Chief’s express ride to a sequel. The design is closer to a descendant of the POA-type of ship. Sorry, guys.

I would just like to say, that you make a good point. I did not intend to make your idea sound completely impossible. And i agree, your idea would have been a good “Alternate-Same” ending, it certainly would have fooled me if i hadn’t allready played it. I suppose Bungie could have made that ending, but the unfortunate cost of rendering so much and coding all of the armour abilities made this practically immposible,

One last time, i admire your imagination, well done.

conveningmk11

How bout just thinking more simply about the ending. You never see the Death Blow to Noble Six it is just assumed he had died.

What if at the end of Halsey’s Speech when that ship is in the back ground, if Noble Six just picks up his broken helmet? Its simple, and Noble Six is still alive.

Not that your idea is impossible, but it’d be very hard to somehow escape a blow coming at you at that speed. Besides, there wasn’t only one elite there. Also, Six had been repeatedly shot through the abdomen; he was done for either way.

> After all, if the player’s appearance depends on the gamer’s choice, why not the ending?

Changing Noble 6’s appearance is nothing more than an aesthetic choice which has absolutely no effect on the game’s events at all, while changing the ending would completely change the whole story, and from a technical perspective, would be a hell of a lot more work to achieve.
As for your “idea”, it pretty much ruins the entire point of the story. It had been laid out for years, ever since the release of the Fall of Reach, and even as Reach compromised a lot of FoR, the core message remained: Outside the realm of Master Chief, the one man army, the story of Halo was very much that of Humanity’s struggle for survival. While the Chief achieved success, millions still made the ultimate sacrifice, knowing that defeat was all but certain, but nonetheless, standing defiant until the end. The deaths of Noble Team, especially Noble 6, in Reach cement that concept of heroism in the face of doom, and changing the story so that Noble Six survives would just throw all that out the window, turning a bittersweet, yet fulfilling ending, into a shoddy ending ripped straight out of a kids’ movie with a literal deux ex machina (In your case, the Ghost/Banshee) saving the hero at the last moment, and see a happy ending with a smile on his face and a quick quip on hand.

I don’t mean to put you down, but the ending you have in mind just wouldn’t fit in with the style and level of storytelling present in the series.