Halo: Reach, Do you like it, or no? Why Not?

As a Casual Gamer I love Reach, The armor abilities add so much, they can make the game more frustrating at times, but overall I think it is a great game. People claim that Reach is “Broken”, I do not Disagree but I do not agree with them completely.

There are a couple things I agree upon that i wish to share:

Armor lock, Do not think i am a hater of it, I use armor lock quite often and agree that it is overpowered in some aspects. The fix would be adding a system that would force the player out of Armor Lock after recieving a certain amount of damage, or being EMP’d.

Hologram, Just underused. If it would appear on the Radar as a Red mark then it would promote the use of it against
campers. Also quiet down the loud sound it makes, if someone hears it they won’t fall for it at all.

I will stay with Halo. It is a great game series. I love every single Halo from CE-ODST-Reach, they are all great games. I will play other games but will always revert back to Halo because of its gameplay and its (Good) community (aside from the “Bad” part that i rarely experiance).

But what do you like/dislike about Reach, How could it be Fixed if disliked (aside from playlist changes)

I like Reach quite a bit, however like said many times before, it has its issue. The only one I really have issues with is the lack of a decent ranking system. I never really played Halo 3 when it came out because I only had access to a 360 at LAN parties and I don’t have any idea how the ranking system worked on it. However I played a lot on Halo 2 and I miss the ranking system so much. I for the most part always got decent match ups because of the ranking system. I do enjoy playing reach though especially in the random custom games. And despite many people disliking DMR battles I enjoy them quite a bit because they help realize you need to rely on team mates.

I really do not like Halo Reach, its kind of ruins everything Halo was about for me. I have played since the beginning(you can check my service record) and I have played every new title extensively until Reach. My favortie being Halo Ce+Halo2(tie both were AMAZING) and Halo 3 being a close second. Halo used to be symmetrical starts and having to earn you advantages and outplay your opponent. Now, people basically start with a spammable power-up and everyone has different advantages, its like Halo has lost its identity.I thought Halo wasnt a class-based game? I thought with Halo that the whole point of the game was that you had to earn your advantages and outplay your opponent for them, now its so dumbed down so even if your getting outplayed you just evade/AL/sprint away and even though you lost that battle your still alive lol. Everytime that happens I think" That wouldnt of happened in the Halo game I know".

Reach is also the most random,unbalanced,and gimmicky Halo game by far of the series, words again that I thought would never describe Halo. The DMR is just a horrible competitve weapon. Its based on luck and spamming IS the most effective method at close-mid range making it so 1v1s are coin-tosses.

AA’s make for gameplay based on what AAs player have rather than player skill, and you never know who has what AA its like 1000 times worse than equipment was(which ALOT of people didnt like). And really spammable invincibility and a jetpack? What game are we playing again? AL guarantees players 7 seconds of exta life which is GAMEBREAKING and more than enough time for his other teammate to clean you up when the guy in AL SHOULD of died its ridiculous. The same thing with jetpack its a gimmick. Map control a huge part of the game, doesnt matter when people can jetpack anywhere they want on the map ignoring map layouts. Why even put vents and ramps on the map if everyone just jetpacks up to the top everytime they die? AA’s and the DMR ruin the game for me, they are both gimmicky and dumb the game down and take away from what made it great. There are alot more things that keep me from liking the game, but those are the two main reasons.

So yeah, Reach is not Halo to me and I was absolutely DISGUSTED with the inclusion of AA’s and the DMR bloom in a Halo game. It feels like Bungie was trying to make Reach for COD/Crysis fans instead of Halo fans. I mean load-outs/AA’s and a credit system like Crysis and COD really? Its like they mixed a bunch of other games game mechanics into Halo to try to attract a larger audience and it backfired and instead alot of people left the game.

I would like to see the next Halo game EXPAND off of Halo CE’s+Halo 2’s model(golden triangle,faster kill times,no gimmicks, fun and intense gameplay) and take it more in depth instead of new game mechanics being added into the Halo every new release that ruin the game and only half of the community likes.

I Agree, H3 ranking system would not work with Reach’s Ranking style + cR.

A separate ranking system should (If possible) be implemented, also the separating the playlists like H3, I never played much of H2 online, Played some LAN customs but that is about it.

I just wish there was a system that you guys who like the old ranking system could have that would not affect us Casuals. Some sort of Arena Rank (Not the Current system) that would be visible in ALL playlists would be nice.

I’m indifferent at this point in time.

@iCrackhead v2

That “half” of the Community is actually 99% of it. Everybody i play with online LOVES (See what i did there) The Armor Abilities.

You make claims as to the armor abilities REMOVING SKILL, it does no such thing.
One who uses an armor ability must know how to use it, without that knowledge he will die. If the user does know how to use the armor ability efficiently he will win in all 1v1 occasions (unless previously weakened, then his chances are lower).

Your logic is very flawed and you obviously have not talked to the complete community about the game. Some agree that Armor Lock is OP, but they still like the Armor Abilities.

You need to talk to the whole community, not just those who come to forums to rant about how bad the game is…

My biggest issue with Reach is that I am supposed to be a Spartan, but I feel more like the Rookie from ODST than the Master Chief.

> @iCrackhead v2
>
> That “half” of the Community is actually 99% of it. Everybody i play with online LOVES (See what i did there) The Armor Abilities.
>
> You make claims as to the armor abilities REMOVING SKILL, it does no such thing.
> One who uses an armor ability must know how to use it, without that knowledge he will die. If the user does know how to use the armor ability efficiently he will win in all 1v1 occasions (unless previously weakened, then his chances are lower).
>
> Your logic is very flawed and you obviously have not talked to the complete community about the game. Some agree that Armor Lock is OP, but they still like the Armor Abilities.
>
>
> You need to talk to the whole community, not just those who come to forums to rant about how bad the game is…

The Halo community of Halo Ce+Halo 2 actually liked Halo for what it is at its core, instead of for the new gimmicks of equipment and AA’s in Reach and all the flashy new features like Firefight.

There are ALOT of people who dislike equipment and AA’s, specifically the Halo veteran/competitve fanbases and hate the new direction Reach has taken the Halo series. The overall population has been almost halfed since Halo 3 at this time, and the competitve playlists are doing horribly if anything it looks like most of the Halo fanbase dislikes the new additions of AA’s and bloom on precision weapons.

Load-outs/AA’s and credits belong in COD and Crysis not Halo. Once you start mixing in other game mechanics from other games, Halo loses its uniqueness and then its like “Why should I play Reach with AA’s and load-outs when I can play COD or Crysis games that were made with those game mechanics in mind?”

Its not so much that AA’s remove skill from the game(which they do in a huge way) but that they change the multiplayer of Halo in a huge way. Instead of symmetrical spawns and playes having to earn their advantages, everyone gets a spammable power-up of their choice to spawn with that helps them get cheaper and easier kills, and escape trouble with having to think. AA’s promote mindless and sporratic gameplay, they do not require much know-how to use. Its “OH IM LOSING THIS 1v1 BATTLE Evades away. “OH, IM ABOUT TO DIE” USES AL. OH I WANT TO FLANK THE ENEMY/WANT TO GET EASY SNIPER HEAD-
SHOTS” "Uses camo*. "OH, I WANT TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE MAP WITHOUT HAVING TO THINK. Uses jet-pack. OH I AM GETTING SHOT BY TWO PEOPLE BECAUSE I MADE A BAD DECISION.Sprints away.

So sorry if i loved Halo for what it was, not the dumbed down COD/Crysis version Bungie made to bring in those fanbases, instead of keeping Halo unique and making Halo for the Halo fanbase.

I just hope 343i will make Halo for the Halo fanbase, and improve upon Halo CE+Halo 2’s model, not this COD/Crysis/Shaowrun/Halo hybrid. Halo needs its identity back, because it has lost it and many fans as a result of that.

Its ok, but I can never play it for more then about 2 games before getting bored. And I only play it about 3 times a week.

None of my friends enjoy playing it either, so that doesn’t make it any easier.

I’m not going to get into the details, I’ll just say that we all played the previous halo games every day for hours. And thats that.

Reach would be decent.

Halo: Reach is awful.

Why? It doesn’t base itself upon anythign that resembles how Halo is played.

> My biggest issue with Reach is that I am supposed to be a Spartan, but I feel more like the Rookie from ODST than the Master Chief.

Well, you’re not Master Chief. He’s a different Spartan.

I like Reach, but as a Halo game it’s not good. Changes should never be made for the sake of making changes. Unfortunately, that is what happened to Reach. Bungie altered every facet of the game to some degree, some more drastically than others (spread to bloom, equipment to armor abilities, etc). It’s hardly Halo anymore. Even the campaign is bad - the characters are downright boring and playing as some random Spartan is no fun at all.

I really hope 343 learns from the serious mistakes Bungie made with Reach.

I don’t like Halo: Reach that much, because Bungie changed too much from it, as well as the things that made Halo fun. Armor Abilities changes the gameplay way too much, grenade jumping, tactical jumping, strafing, melee bleedthrough, everyone having the same running speed, map control (getting the highground for example), having to find the equipment from the map, those things went down the drain with Reach.

Now comes bloom, the worst addition to Halo since SMG starts, bloom promotes randomness and brings a luck factor in every 1 vs 1 DMR/Pistol/NR battle. Luck is not needed, the person with the better aim should win everytime in a shooter game. Spammer DMR kill time 1.7 seconds, Pacers DMR kill time 2.3 seconds.

The melee system: Here is an equation: 3 DMR Shots + Melee + Melee = Melee + Melee.
In other words, the player that shot those shots just wasted his time, and the player that just sprinted to double pummel got rewarded. With the old melee system, the player that shot those would have got rewarded for it. This is a shooter, not a fighting game, so why doesn’t the player that shoots in a shooter get rewarded?

The cR ranking system just promotes holding the objective, afk:ing in FF and no initiative to win. Copy paste from CoD.

Reach doesn’t deserve the “Halo” in its title.

I hope that 343i doesn’t make the same mistakes as Bungie.

I love Reach.

It’s the culmination of Halo.

H2 and H3, were the -Yoink- children that didn’t deserve to be called Halo.

Reach, is CE on crack, and I can’t get enough of it.

Reach is the worst Halo IMO.

Reach just isn’t Halo, Halo used to be more simple and unique. The loadouts (aka classes), the AAs (aka perks), bloom (name a modern shooter that doesn’t have it), it just isn’t what I used to love. Reach is just another dumbed down game that sells because its title was very popular in the past.

The bloom promotes randomness, in any shooter, the person with the better aim wins, but in Reach the person that gets a lucky 5sk can beat a person that paced his shots to get one. Slow pinpoint accuracy can be beaten by fast random accuracy, and this just sucks and makes things frustraiting.

Melee system disencourages shooting, because you know, if you don’t get the shields down, the damage you do doesn’t go through shield, so spriting for the double melee can be more rewarding than shooting. What is this a FPS or a fighting game?

Armor Lock disencourages getting better at the game, well how hard is it to press a button and let your teammates kill your wounded opponent, or to save your life from a rocket or a plasma grenade stick. If you are good you can do those without armor lock, and it feels good when you learn how.

Grenades are mini-nukes, with the return of the infamous and hated HCE grenades, along with slower running speed and jump height (We were faster in HCE because it didn’t have sprint), the only way to survive a grenade is with armor lock or evade. Also grenade impact was introduced, now a grenade impact can hurt your shields and leave you red bar when it explodes.

So yeah, I came with the conclussion that Reach is the worst Halo, and it’s not because i’m bad at it, i’ve been playing Team Classic lately and I’ve pulled a k/d of 2.3 with w/l of 81% and over 200 games played, so it’s pretty obvious that I hate default Reach :stuck_out_tongue:

I realize that. I guess as a Spartan, I feel the character of Noble 6 is very weak by Spartan standards if that makes sense. I dont consider myself very good at any of the Halo games, but starting Reach on Heroic probably was the brightest idea on my part.

> > My biggest issue with Reach is that I am supposed to be a Spartan, but I feel more like the Rookie from ODST than the Master Chief.
>
> Well, you’re not Master Chief. He’s a different Spartan.

> I love Reach.
>
> It’s the culmination of Halo.
>
> H2 and H3, were the Yoink! children that didn’t deserve to be called Halo.
>
> Reach, is CE on crack, and I can’t get enough of it.

Dont compare real Halo games to spin-offs please. Halo CE’s only similarities to Reach are a pistol that isnt 100 percent wothless, healthpacks,and fall damage everything else is a 180 from Halo Ce gameplay wise. Halo 2+Halo 3 built on the previous model that was Halo CE and although some things were gimmicky(equipment in H3) it still had the same core foundations of a Halo game, and felt and played like one. Reach with loadouts and a credit system is in some ways more like COD and Crysis than Halo.

But CoD and Battlefield have most/all of those and CoD is “more popular” with 2 titles. I accept your dislike but not your reasons. Factoids and Truthiness are not proper reasons to dislike something.

> The bloom promotes randomness, in any shooter, the person with the better aim wins, but in Reach the person that gets a lucky 5sk can beat a person that paced his shots to get one. Slow pinpoint accuracy can be beaten by fast random accuracy, and this just sucks and makes things frustraiting.

When not scoped, both CoD and BF use a bloom/expanding crosshairs function that represents real-life recoil and heated barrels to control spread with a weapon’s ROF to control said weapon’s effectiveness over range.
When scoped, recoil takes over for the real-life recoil and heated barrel simulation.
Both promote randomness too yet CoD is like, you know, uber-popular or something.

> Melee system disencourages shooting, because you know, if you don’t get the shields down, the damage you do doesn’t go through shield, so spriting for the double melee can be more rewarding than shooting. What is this a FPS or a fighting game?

In BF and CoD, it is a OHK with a melee hit, no matter from what direction you attack from. And in MW2 you can specifically mold a slot into a Knifing-Commando that is nearly untouchable. BO lets you build a similar slot but the game is bit more forgiving than MW2 for its run and knifers.
You are correct, the double melee can be a sprinter’s reward if they ambush their target properly. However if they sprint towards their target improperly, they will die.
Very similarly to a player using the nOOb-combo. When used properly, the nOOb-combo is nearly unbeatable. When used incorrectly, the player dies like a nOOb with a combo.
I like that the H3 option of both players who don’t need Sprint just simply rush each other unleashing all their ammo until melee range where either both die, or if one player missed a shot or 2 due to spread, said player dies because of randomness.

> Armor Lock disencourages getting better at the game, well how hard is it to press a button and let your teammates kill your wounded opponent, or to save your life from a rocket or a plasma grenade stick. If you are good you can do those without armor lock, and it feels good when you learn how.

Some how I read your conclusion as completely opposite to your claim. It is that AL can save someone’s life with a push of a button that I must get good at this game. If I am to win consistently, I must learn how to kill a player before they activate AL or how to negate it completely.

> Grenades are mini-nukes, with the return of the infamous and hated HCE grenades, along with slower running speed and jump height (We were faster in HCE because it didn’t have sprint), the only way to survive a grenade is with armor lock or evade. Also grenade impact was introduced, now a grenade impact can hurt your shields and leave you red bar when it explodes.

I suppose they are. But more specifically, Stickies are mini-nukes, frags are super-'nades. Personally if I’d shoot the incoming grenade before I shoot the player that threw it. That and of course use Sprint or Evade as my AA.

I like Reach a lot. I’m not forced to play anything any one way. The same way was with CE. I can play CE or Reach and not feel forced into any 1 tactic or strategy, Campaign or MP. ODST’s campaign was great for the same feeling too.
Halo2 and 3, I feel very funneled in gameplay, both MP and Campaign.
Story wise, I love the execution of CE, ODST and Reach. Very disappointed with Halo2’s and neither impressed nor disappointed with Halo3’s, even though all the titles do have their “moments.” I love the whole package of all of them added up due to the contrast they give each other.

I love riding my motorcycle. But it isn’t riding at 150mph that feels great. Nor is it riding at 80mph that feels great. For me, it is the constant accelerations (oxymoronic) that make riding fun. Going slow or fast isn’t of consequence, having to go from fast to slow or vice versa, while navigating a road… now that’s fun. Simply pulling a 130mph wheelie for a whole mile doesn’t do it for me, ya know? 2 and 3 had little contrast to themselves IMO, but compared to the rest or the series, wow, I love them for being what they are.

> Reach is the worst Halo IMO.
>
> Reach just isn’t Halo, Halo used to be more simple and unique. The loadouts (aka classes), the AAs (aka perks), bloom (name a modern shooter that doesn’t have it), it just isn’t what I used to love. Reach is just another dumbed down game that sells because its title was very popular in the past.
>
> The bloom promotes randomness, in any shooter, the person with the better aim wins, but in Reach the person that gets a lucky 5sk can beat a person that paced his shots to get one. Slow pinpoint accuracy can be beaten by fast random accuracy, and this just sucks and makes things frustraiting.
>
> Melee system disencourages shooting, because you know, if you don’t get the shields down, the damage you do doesn’t go through shield, so spriting for the double melee can be more rewarding than shooting. What is this a FPS or a fighting game?
>
> Armor Lock disencourages getting better at the game, well how hard is it to press a button and let your teammates kill your wounded opponent, or to save your life from a rocket or a plasma grenade stick. If you are good you can do those without armor lock, and it feels good when you learn how.
>
> Grenades are mini-nukes, with the return of the infamous and hated HCE grenades, along with slower running speed and jump height (We were faster in HCE because it didn’t have sprint), the only way to survive a grenade is with armor lock or evade. Also grenade impact was introduced, now a grenade impact can hurt your shields and leave you red bar when it explodes.
>
> So yeah, I came with the conclussion that Reach is the worst Halo, and it’s not because i’m bad at it, i’ve been playing Team Classic lately and I’ve pulled a k/d of 2.3 with w/l of 81% and over 200 games played, so it’s pretty obvious that I hate default Reach :stuck_out_tongue:

this. from a competitive standpoint reach is the worst halo game hands down, bar none, not close.

like you, him, i accept your like but not your reasons.

> Both promote randomness too yet CoD is like, you know, uber-popular or something.

in COD, with 2 players with the same connection (LAN) the person who shoots better wins 100% of the time, at every range. halo isnt like this, which is why its terrible in this area. sure theres still recoil, but you can control recoil, and are actually forced to because if you just hold down the trigger you wont kill someone who is double tapping or single shotting their automatic. spamming, on the other hand, only effects ONE player who ISNT YOU and is 100% uncontrollable because its not you whos spamming (unless its close range, then both players will optimally spam, making close combat into a coin flip when both players are using DMR’s-only).

> In BF and CoD, it is a OHK with a melee hit, no matter from what direction you attack from.

you also cannot run at someone and melee them because if you do, you are dead. melees in these games really only work at melee range, and no other range. if they see you, they’ll shoot you, and you will die unless you are playing MW2 where you can super lunge like 10 feet for an instant kill thru latency. the person who melees faster does win in melee battles because its more powerful than shooting, however.

arguing other game vs halo is pointless, on the other hand, because if you compare the reach mechanic to any other halo games melee mechanic, the person who made more effort in melee combat won 100% of the time in halos 1, 2, and 3, while in halo reach, the player who makes LESS of an effort can win against someone who is shooting. the viability of shooting goes out the window in some close combat situations involving at least 1 melee in reach. why is it better to lose this viability to get ahead over the halo 3 melee system that retained it 100% of the time? short answer: its NOT better. its unintuitive, and makes melee combat infinitely more convoluted.

the melee system in halo 3 was easily the most intuitive, logical melee system in a halo game.

instead of the halo 3 melee system
shoot / damage other player -> both players melee -> the person who did more damage by at least ~26 damage lives, the other person dies.

we have the halo reach melee system
do i know what range shooting is viable and what range shooting is not viable? if i do know, is this person at the range where shooting is viable or not viable? if the person is at the range where shooting IS viable, shoot -> melee and he’ll die first (unless i miss a single bullet, then its probably back to not being viable again). if the person is at the range where shooting is NOT viable, dont shoot -> melee when they melee you -> jump back and headshot

if i do NOT know what range shooting is viable and what range shooting is not viable, i will NOT shoot -> melee when they melee me -> jump backwards then headshot.

thats even considering you know that at some ranges shooting simply is not viable! if you are not informed as to this fact, it becomes even worse!

> in MW2 you can specifically mold a slot into a Knifing-Commando that is nearly untouchable.

this is really only a problem over xbox live where latency is an issue, making the commando person nearly invincible, like you said. commando IS a problem, i agree. it should not have been in MW2, among other things.

> If I am to win consistently, I must learn how to kill a player before they activate AL or how to negate it completely.

what hes saying here is, against a good armor locker, you either snipe them in the head, or their use of armor lock can ‘cheat’ you out of kills that you would have otherwise gotten.

> Personally if I’d shoot the incoming grenade before I shoot the player that threw it.

can be done consistently tho?

> That and of course use Sprint or Evade as my AA.

you shouldnt have to use an armor ability to make the mini nuke grenades not matter. they could have at least given us an option to tone down the damage, radius, or fuse time so their terrible implementation didnt have to bleed over into every playlist.