Halo Reach cracking/cracked center of DVD disc

Hi there. I have been playing Halo Reach since December and have had my console sent back to Microsoft due to the disc drive making clicking noises and cracking my disc. I was wondering if I was the only one having this problem and I would want to hear any suggestions as to how to fix this problem and if the console that Microsoft is sending back as we speak is new or refurbished. FYI my console is being shipped using UPS.

same thing happened to my reach disc… good thing I installed the game since the beginning… but I think the case is to blame… there are a lot of reports about the center being cracked

> same thing happened to my reach disc… good thing I installed the game since the beginning… but I think the case is to blame… there are a lot of reports about the center being cracked

True. But too bad I don’t have a HDD as I bought the Slim Arcade 4GB model. BTW, do you think the Microsoft is sending me back a console that has a HDD in it already or is it going to be another 4GB model.

probably another 4gb model…

> probably another 4gb model…

cause i was reading on another forum saying that this guy sent his xbox back and received a halo reach special edition console refurb.

you never know… you can get lucky… and get the 250gb model

> you never know… you can get lucky… and get the 250gb model

Has your xbox had any problems that you had to go send it back to Microsoft?

actually you arnt.

Both have occurred a number of times to people i know locally, so the problems are pretty common.
I dont have an explanation as to why game discs crack and peel away at the center, making them unusable, but the reason the disc drive fails is sadly due to faulty manufacturing. Im unsure if this is still the case but for awhile Microsoft was installing 3 different disc drives from different companies into the consoles- and of those 3 used, 2 of them would always fail after a matter of time. Only 1 was durable and wouldnt fail (i think it was the Samsung one, but my facts arnt clear)

plainly said, the disc drive was most likely bound to fail and you were one of the unfortunate affected by this- as am myself, once recently and once about a year ago…

also they might fix your console or send you a new/refurbished one, you probably wont ever know

> actually you arnt.
>
> Both have occurred a number of times to people i know locally, so the problems are pretty common.
> I dont have an explanation as to why game discs crack and peel away at the center, making them unusable, but the reason the disc drive fails is sadly due to faulty manufacturing. Im unsure if this is still the case but for awhile Microsoft was installing 3 different disc drives from different companies into the consoles- and of those 3 used, 2 of them would always fail after a matter of time. Only 1 was durable and wouldnt fail (i think it was the Samsung one, but my facts arnt clear)
>
> plainly said, the disc drive was most likely bound to fail and you were one of the unfortunate affected by this- as am myself, once recently and about once a year ago…

Okay. The reason why I sent mine back was because it was making clicking and buzzing noises when I was playing Reach. After I finished a game of matchmaking, sometimes and more often the dashboard pops up saying the disc is unreadable.

That happened to my disc too, that’s weird. Good thing I already installed it on my Xbox so that as long as my disc is still slightly readable I can play it.