Halo Reach CR system in Infinite.

I really love the Halo Reach CR/Ranking system. It really worked and is really simple. I’d love to see it again in Infinite. Anyone agree?

Agreed…much better to see the different ranks rather than a number. It is a small detail that does make a difference.

id prefer them to go back to a Halo 2/Halo 3 approach, i prefer having my highest achieved competitive rank shown to all. Even if its just bragging rights thats what i liked about Halo the competitiveness.

> 2533274861671321;3:
> id prefer them to go back to a Halo 2/Halo 3 approach, i prefer having my highest achieved competitive rank shown to all. Even if its just bragging rights thats what i liked about Halo the competitiveness.

I agree and then I don’t.

The Halo 3 ranking system was pretty interesting.
Each rank looked like an actual military rank. I also like how you could only get more EXP by winning a game, which means AFK players usually aren’t rewarded, unlike Reach, the one flaw with the CR system.

I like the Halo Reach Credit/Ranking system much more mainly because you can buy armor/effects/and visors. The ranking system in Reach is cool, but like I said above, AFK players still get Credits, which is kinda dumb. I love all the Ranks in Reach. Especially Inheritor

> 2535426515273563;4:
> > 2533274861671321;3:
> > id prefer them to go back to a Halo 2/Halo 3 approach, i prefer having my highest achieved competitive rank shown to all. Even if its just bragging rights thats what i liked about Halo the competitiveness.
>
> I agree and then I don’t.
>
> The Halo 3 ranking system was pretty interesting.
> Each rank looked like an actual military rank. I also like how you could only get more EXP by winning a game, which means AFK players usually aren’t rewarded, like Reach, the one flaw with the CR system.
>
> I like the Halo Reach Credit/Ranking system much more mainly because you can buy armor/effects/and visors. The ranking system in Reach is cool, but like I said above, AFK players still get Credits, which is kinda dumb. I love all the Ranks in Reach. Especially Inheritor

i see what you mean i like what Halo MCC is doing in that regard, bt i specifically would just like my highest ranking competitive level shown in like social playlists vs a universal ranking system. If not an option to do that would be nice for those who do care. i feel that would be the best way to handle it. give me the choice to display what i care about.

> 2533274861671321;5:
> > 2535426515273563;4:
> > > 2533274861671321;3:
> > > id prefer them to go back to a Halo 2/Halo 3 approach, i prefer having my highest achieved competitive rank shown to all. Even if its just bragging rights thats what i liked about Halo the competitiveness.
> >
> > I agree and then I don’t.
> >
> > The Halo 3 ranking system was pretty interesting.
> > Each rank looked like an actual military rank. I also like how you could only get more EXP by winning a game, which means AFK players usually aren’t rewarded, like Reach, the one flaw with the CR system.
> >
> > I like the Halo Reach Credit/Ranking system much more mainly because you can buy armor/effects/and visors. The ranking system in Reach is cool, but like I said above, AFK players still get Credits, which is kinda dumb. I love all the Ranks in Reach. Especially Inheritor
>
> i see what you mean i like what Halo MCC is doing in that regard, bt i specifically would just like my highest ranking competitive level shown in like social playlists vs a universal ranking system. If not an option to do that would be nice for those who do care. i feel that would be the best way to handle it. give me the choice to display what i care about.

I agree. I just have no idea what you mean because I’ve never gotten a high MP rank in halo lol. Also, I mean the CR system from The 360 Version of Reach.

i’d rather not have the credit system, i’d personally want to see something new

> 2535426515273563;6:
> > 2533274861671321;5:
> > > 2535426515273563;4:
> > > > 2533274861671321;3:
> > > > id prefer them to go back to a Halo 2/Halo 3 approach, i prefer having my highest achieved competitive rank shown to all. Even if its just bragging rights thats what i liked about Halo the competitiveness.
> > >
> > > I agree and then I don’t.
> > >
> > > The Halo 3 ranking system was pretty interesting.
> > > Each rank looked like an actual military rank. I also like how you could only get more EXP by winning a game, which means AFK players usually aren’t rewarded, like Reach, the one flaw with the CR system.
> > >
> > > I like the Halo Reach Credit/Ranking system much more mainly because you can buy armor/effects/and visors. The ranking system in Reach is cool, but like I said above, AFK players still get Credits, which is kinda dumb. I love all the Ranks in Reach. Especially Inheritor
> >
> > i see what you mean i like what Halo MCC is doing in that regard, bt i specifically would just like my highest ranking competitive level shown in like social playlists vs a universal ranking system. If not an option to do that would be nice for those who do care. i feel that would be the best way to handle it. give me the choice to display what i care about.
>
> I agree. I just have no idea what you mean because I’ve never gotten a high MP rank in halo lol. Also, I mean the CR system from The 360 Version of Reach.

well back in Halo 2, the competitive playlists had a ranking of 1-50, 50 being the highest and most elite rank. when you would play non ranked playlists your highest rank would show by your name. thats i would like to come back as well as the 1-50 and not the new ranking system they have. with like platnimum and diamond and such.

> 2533274861671321;8:
> … rhats i would like to come back as well as the 1-50 and not the new ranking system they have. with like platnimum and diamond and such.

Internally it’s the same TrueSkill ranking system in Halo’s 3 to 5… and presumably Infinite.

Externally it’s very subjective… but I like the precious metals. 1-50 was just a bit bland.

And keep in mind that the internal rankings are much wider than the old 1-50. The old ‘50’ was very broad - starting at what we know as Diamond 3 in H5 (mentioned by 343 in a recent thread).

Looking forward to how they mix it up for Infinite… but I just hope they keep the Seasons so we don’t go back to the dark old days of ranking abuse.

> 2585548714655118;9:
> > 2533274861671321;8:
> > … rhats i would like to come back as well as the 1-50 and not the new ranking system they have. with like platnimum and diamond and such.
>
> Internally it’s the same TrueSkill ranking system in Halo’s 3 to 5… and presumably Infinite.
>
> Externally it’s very subjective… but I like the precious metals. 1-50 was just a bit bland.
>
> And keep in mind that the internal rankings are much wider than the old 1-50. The old ‘50’ was very broad - starting at what we know as Diamond 3 in H5 (mentioned by 343 in a recent thread).
>
> Looking forward to how they mix it up for Infinite… but I just hope they keep the Seasons so we don’t go back to the dark old days of ranking abuse.

i personally do not like the sesons it makes my time spent in competitive feel like its worthless, ranking abuse was not that big of a deal all that happened is every now and then you would play against some better than level 10 players on your way up.

> 2533274861671321;10:
> > 2585548714655118;9:
> > > 2533274861671321;8:
> > > … rhats i would like to come back as well as the 1-50 and not the new ranking system they have. with like platnimum and diamond and such.
> >
> > Internally it’s the same TrueSkill ranking system in Halo’s 3 to 5… and presumably Infinite.
> >
> > Externally it’s very subjective… but I like the precious metals. 1-50 was just a bit bland.
> >
> > And keep in mind that the internal rankings are much wider than the old 1-50. The old ‘50’ was very broad - starting at what we know as Diamond 3 in H5 (mentioned by 343 in a recent thread).
> >
> > Looking forward to how they mix it up for Infinite… but I just hope they keep the Seasons so we don’t go back to the dark old days of ranking abuse.
>
> i personally do not like the sesons it makes my time spent in competitive feel like its worthless, ranking abuse was not that big of a deal all that happened is every now and then you would play against some better than level 10 players on your way up.

Again I agree with you. I like your view here lol.
The Season system is honestly dumb. The first time I started Fortnite I didn’t understand the ranking system. I was super pleased with myself at getting Tier 100. Then in a few days I was Tier 1 again. I don’t care for that. Especially in Halo. It doesn’t belong with Halo’s style.

> 2533274861671321;10:
> > 2585548714655118;9:
> > > 2533274861671321;8:
> > > … rhats i would like to come back as well as the 1-50 and not the new ranking system they have. with like platnimum and diamond and such.
> >
> > Internally it’s the same TrueSkill ranking system in Halo’s 3 to 5… and presumably Infinite.
> >
> > Externally it’s very subjective… but I like the precious metals. 1-50 was just a bit bland.
> >
> > And keep in mind that the internal rankings are much wider than the old 1-50. The old ‘50’ was very broad - starting at what we know as Diamond 3 in H5 (mentioned by 343 in a recent thread).
> >
> > Looking forward to how they mix it up for Infinite… but I just hope they keep the Seasons so we don’t go back to the dark old days of ranking abuse.
>
> i personally do not like the sesons it makes my time spent in competitive feel like its worthless, ranking abuse was not that big of a deal all that happened is every now and then you would play against some better than level 10 players on your way up.

I agree with the seasons ranking…its pointless. An evolving rank even the 1-50 system that sticks with your profile is a more accurate depiction of the player. A player could rank Diamond one season and the next silver (hopefully not such a drop), then is required to play more to achieve the same rank for it just to be reset again.

If you have the ranking system in place whatever it may be, it shouldnt be reset every three/four months. They could implement this ranking system specific to playlists IE: Slayer, CTF, BTB etc. 1-50 (or whatever works) and still maintain the Reach style ranks for Time Played/XP. it would be the best of both worlds TBH

I kinda prefer the current MCC points system although being able to pick and choose at will like Reach would be nice. The main thing I want to see return is the commendations.

> 2533274861671321;10:

> 2533274809988140;12:
> I agree with the seasons ranking…its pointless. An evolving rank even the 1-50 system that sticks with your profile is a more accurate depiction of the player. A player could rank Diamond one season and the next silver (hopefully not such a drop), then is required to play more to achieve the same rank for it just to be reset again.If you have the ranking system in place whatever it may be, it shouldnt be reset every three/four months. They could implement this ranking system specific to playlists IE: Slayer, CTF, BTB etc. 1-50 (or whatever works) and still maintain the Reach style ranks for Time Played/XP. it would be the best of both worlds TBH

Ranking abuse was rampant.

And Seasons are a mere blip. You retain your internal ranking (that doesn’t reset) - and it really only takes Trueskill a few games to recalculate where you should be (on current form). The only grind is a few games ‘without’ a displayed ranking… and where you start a level or two below your internal score.

I don’t think the blip was really noticeable when people were playing regularly. But if you play infrequently or are coming back after a bit of a break it’s harsher as your level can drop precipitously due to form.

> 2585548714655118;14:
> > 2533274861671321;10:
> > i personally do not like the sesons it makes my time spent in competitive feel like its worthless, ranking abuse was not that big of a deal all that happened is every now and then you would play against some better than level 10 players on your way up.
>
>
>
> > 2533274809988140;12:
> > I agree with the seasons ranking…its pointless. An evolving rank even the 1-50 system that sticks with your profile is a more accurate depiction of the player. A player could rank Diamond one season and the next silver (hopefully not such a drop), then is required to play more to achieve the same rank for it just to be reset again.If you have the ranking system in place whatever it may be, it shouldnt be reset every three/four months. They could implement this ranking system specific to playlists IE: Slayer, CTF, BTB etc. 1-50 (or whatever works) and still maintain the Reach style ranks for Time Played/XP. it would be the best of both worlds TBH
>
> Ranking abuse was rampant.
>
> And Seasons are a mere blip. You retain your internal ranking (that doesn’t reset) - and it really only takes Trueskill a few games to recalculate where you should be (on current form). The only grind is a few games ‘without’ a displayed ranking… and where you start a level or two below your internal score.
>
> I don’t think the blip was really noticeable when people were playing regularly. But if you play infrequently or are coming back after a bit of a break it’s harsher as your level can drop precipitously due to form.

Which was the case with me. I just dont see what the point of the recalculating seasonally is…it should just be a constant variable changing more or less with time played. If that system is in place then what is the point to begin with? Just keep the rank and let the system do its job…no reason to reset

Reach exp system? Sure. I think Reach had the best in my opinion but I want the ranks to be more realistic. Ranked? No. H2/H3’s is still the best and it’s consistent. Csr is luck based and random especially with the season resets which makes no sense whatsoever. We need to put an end to the grindfest in ranked. Even mortal kombat has its own variation of csr and it’s laughably broken. It doesn’t matter what game we’re talking about, you’ll always find threads on different sites complaining about said games on how unbalanced ranked is.

> 2535407109813100;16:
> Reach exp system? Sure. I think Reach had the best in my opinion but I want the ranks to be more realistic. Ranked? No. H2/H3’s is still the best and it’s consistent. Csr is luck based and random especially with the season resets which makes no sense whatsoever. We need to put an end to the grindfest in ranked. Even mortal kombat has its own variation of csr and it’s laughably broken. It doesn’t matter what game we’re talking about, you’ll always find threads on different sites complaining about said games on how unbalanced ranked is.

H3 and Infinite will share the same ranking system - so I don’t see how it can be any better?

And TrueSkill is considered solid mathematically - so not luck based or random. People will always complain (and I have regularly) but the problem is you can’t argue the Maths.

The Season resets help to combat rank abuse (which was rife in the old days) and provide a bit of incentive to come back regularly. I don’t mind it… but would be open to something new if 343 have any ideas.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘grind fest’. TrueSkill can find your rank in a handful of games. If you mean getting to the ‘top’, that’s because the old 1-50 system was very generous with it’s rank of 50. There were actually heaps more internal ranks - but 50+ was just shown as ‘50’. This corresponds to Diamond 3 in Halo 5 (the higher ranks are the 50+ levels that were previously hidden).

> 2533274809988140;15:
> > 2585548714655118;14:
> > > 2533274861671321;10:
> > > i personally do not like the sesons it makes my time spent in competitive feel like its worthless, ranking abuse was not that big of a deal all that happened is every now and then you would play against some better than level 10 players on your way up.
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274809988140;12:
> > > I agree with the seasons ranking…its pointless. An evolving rank even the 1-50 system that sticks with your profile is a more accurate depiction of the player. A player could rank Diamond one season and the next silver (hopefully not such a drop), then is required to play more to achieve the same rank for it just to be reset again.If you have the ranking system in place whatever it may be, it shouldnt be reset every three/four months. They could implement this ranking system specific to playlists IE: Slayer, CTF, BTB etc. 1-50 (or whatever works) and still maintain the Reach style ranks for Time Played/XP. it would be the best of both worlds TBH
> >
> > Ranking abuse was rampant.
> >
> > And Seasons are a mere blip. You retain your internal ranking (that doesn’t reset) - and it really only takes Trueskill a few games to recalculate where you should be (on current form). The only grind is a few games ‘without’ a displayed ranking… and where you start a level or two below your internal score.
> >
> > I don’t think the blip was really noticeable when people were playing regularly. But if you play infrequently or are coming back after a bit of a break it’s harsher as your level can drop precipitously due to form.
>
> Which was the case with me. I just dont see what the point of the recalculating seasonally is…it should just be a constant variable changing more or less with time played. If that system is in place then what is the point to begin with? Just keep the rank and let the system do its job…no reason to reset

I feel the frustration.

I don’t mind the Season format… but they probably do need to sell it with a bit more incentive - Seasonal prizes / bonuses / competitions etc.

If you’re playing regularly then it really is just a road bump. You play a few games, it finds that your form matches your internal ranking, and you come out a rank or two below where you were… and it doesn’t take long to get back to where you were.

But if you are coming back after a break… what is the easier pill to swallow?

1. Playing a few games vs your old rank, doing badly, and dropping a heap of ranks.

or.

1. Starting from scratch, quickly dropping back to games with opponents matching your form, and then allowing you to work your way back up.

I guess any system will have it’s pros and cons… and I can’t wait to see what we have in store for us - just as long as it’s not the one way climb of old.

> 2585548714655118;17:
> > 2535407109813100;16:
> > Reach exp system? Sure. I think Reach had the best in my opinion but I want the ranks to be more realistic. Ranked? No. H2/H3’s is still the best and it’s consistent. Csr is luck based and random especially with the season resets which makes no sense whatsoever. We need to put an end to the grindfest in ranked. Even mortal kombat has its own variation of csr and it’s laughably broken. It doesn’t matter what game we’re talking about, you’ll always find threads on different sites complaining about said games on how unbalanced ranked is.
>
> H3 and Infinite will share the same ranking system - so I don’t see how it can be any better?
>
> And TrueSkill is considered solid mathematically - so not luck based or random. People will always complain (and I have regularly) but the problem is you can’t argue the Maths.
>
> The Season resets help to combat rank abuse (which was rife in the old days) and provide a bit of incentive to come back regularly. I don’t mind it… but would be open to something new if 343 have any ideas.
>
> I’m not sure what you mean by ‘grind fest’. TrueSkill can find your rank in a handful of games. If you mean getting to the ‘top’, that’s because the old 1-50 system was very generous with it’s rank of 50. There were actually heaps more internal ranks - but 50+ was just shown as ‘50’. This corresponds to Diamond 3 in Halo 5 (the higher ranks are the 50+ levels that were previously hidden).

Because every other player in Halo 5 isn’t smurf. It speaks volumes. I played with Proximity a few times and the last time he was on my team, he was only a diamond 4 or 5. His friend who was also a champion, was stuck in Onyx. Season resets are the main issue. They should stay at that rank until somebody legitimately beats them. Unless you’re partying up its every man for himself. I often ask myself why I just got shredded by a diamond 3 only to look him up on waypoint and realize he’s way better than the rank he is.
Then at the start of every season it’s way worse because you’re either playing with the best or the worst players, losing when it’s not your fault or getting carried and receiving a rank you didn’t earn. Completely random.
The only rank abuse or exploits that existed in h3 were the derankers in 4v4 (which didn’t matter because party matching was still a thing) and boosters in doubles, which did absolutely nothing for the player in terms of skill. The majority of the time they were afk and let the other guy do the work.
At the least, they need ditch the resets.

> 2535407109813100;19:
> Because every other player in Halo 5 isn’t smurf. It speaks volumes.

Smurfs are a problem in almost every online game. So frustrating.

> 2535407109813100;19:
> I played with Proximity a few times and the last time he was on my team, he was only a diamond 4 or 5. His friend who was also a champion, was stuck in Onyx. Season resets are the main issue. They should stay at that rank until somebody legitimately beats them. Unless you’re partying up its every man for himself. I often ask myself why I just got shredded by a diamond 3 only to look him up on waypoint and realize he’s way better than the rank he is.

Your rank in a team game reflects the skill of your team. You can be the best player in the world… but if the rest of your team sux you are going to go down. Similarly you will find some who are carried by better team-mates to a higher rank than they are individually.

Besides Diamond 4 or 5 isn’t bad at all (it was a solid ‘50’ in Halo 3) - he’s just a bit out of form or not choosing his team-mates wisely. And ‘Champion’ stuck in Onyx is a bit of a misnomer… as there are only 200 Champions out of the whole field of Onxy.

And then there is the problem with population. To go up you need to win against a team that TrueSkill thinks is better than you. That can be hard with the relatively low population of a five year old game.

> 2535407109813100;19:
> Then at the start of every season it’s way worse because you’re either playing with the best or the worst players, losing when it’s not your fault or getting carried and receiving a rank you didn’t earn. Completely random.

Way worse is a bit of exaggeration. It’s only ten ranking games… and besides the system knows where to start you (it keeps your internal ranking) and it can pretty much re-grade you in 2-3 games (the power of maths). So it’s a long, long, way from ‘random’.

It’s just that you don’t know your rank for that short period.

As I’ve said I don’t mind the regular reset. But the problems it addressed have probably been smoothed over by the newer mechanics (eg. faster external rank drops with bad losses) and I’m sure 343 have some tweaks coming up.