Halo Reach Classic Gametype(Now in April)

> Posted by: Jeremiah
> We’re still doing internal testing, I’ll be looking at community remakes of classic maps later this week. I’ll keep updating this thread as things progress, but this playlist is still in the design/testing phase so you should not expect a March release. It might happen in late March but it’s looking more like a headliner for the April update.

> Based on our latest playtesting, the current settings we’re considering are:
>
> Player Speed 120%
> Jump Height 125%
> Player Gravity 150%
> Damage Modifier 110%
> Melee Modifier 75%
> Damage Resistance 100%
> Shield Recharge Rate 110%
> Health Recharge Rate 110%
>
> As I said before these are subject to change, we have final playtesting to do next week.

So there is this community effort to get a Classic playlist up for matchmaking. Jeremiah said that he is actively working on it and that it is definitely going to be out in April as shown in the quote above. They are actively watching the Classic Gametype Thread in the Optimatch forum for ideas so let us know what you think of those proposed settings. These are the most accurate settings to ever grace anyone’s Halo Reach experience and are there for Bungie to model their settings after.

Also it wouldn’t be classic without remakes. There is a thread on the Reach Forum(bungie.net) that has a collection of the best remade maps that are around. Some maps have been edited slightly for better performance while others have seen a complete overhaul. You may see one of your maps featured in there for all you know! Please check out all of those maps and if you have any that are better please submit them. The goal is to not have to rely on Bungie to provide remakes for us.

This playlist IS happening so your further support will help make it great.

Here’s the Halo Reach Classic youtube channel.

Hey Overkill! Keep up the good work!

Can’t wait!

Amazing! It looks like it’s going to be the only good playlist in Reach, as long as Bungie doesn’t screw it up (but knowing them, they most likely will).

I can’t wait for this :slight_smile:

This will give me and my friends a good dose of nostalgia. I’m really excited!

Good to see you on these forums too Overkill. I wish Jeremiah would hurry up and just give us a little information - currently we don’t even know his real plan for this. He could cancel it tomorrow and just tell us we over-speculated to things he said.

Regardless, this is great work and is my only hope for Reach. Reach is just a horrible fail of an FPS that is still only propped up by people who are still in denial. It’s buggy, unbalanced and poorly looked after - some departments of Bungie just are not pulling their weight at all. Certain aspects of it are just terrible concepts before they’re even implemented into a gaming environment, the fact that they were even considered is awful.

Armour lock for example - I’m an avid FPS player (as most of Bungie should be) and even just from the beta gameplay videos I could see it was a horrific idea. Invincibility never works in any balanced FPS ever. Quite simply being able to herp-a-derp into a shell is far too good and exceptionally “unHalo”. Mind you, I suppose most of Bungie isn’t even capable of judging what is and isn’t “Halo” considering most of them have been hired fairly recently and much of the original team is gone.

It’s almost laughable that I know the Halo universe and weapon set better than most of Bungie’s current employees, though for all it’s humour it’s pretty saddening. Though I suppose I have been playing Halo for longer than most of the Reach development team, especially our friends from failed FASA.

I may seem harsh, but having played each Halo game for many, many hours it’s exceptionally clear to me that Bungie have peaked and declined, even the Metacritic reviews of each game backs that up. Halo 1 was one of the most defining 3D FPS ever made of a console, Reach is nothing close to that.

Though I really ought to link this to your playlist and stop waffling. We, as fans, know what does and doesn’t work well - it’s our job to give full and true feedback and it’s Bungie’s job to listen and change things for the better. Bungie have utterly failed in that respect and so it has really come down to us to try and force things made by the community into Halo.

The Classic Playlist needs to get on Halo: Reach matchmaing if Bungie want to see a healthy population of veteran fans. Though I sometime wonder if they even want that.

(I may seem although I’m being an elitist, looking down on the noobs at Bungie, but the fact of the matter is some of the employees clearly don’t have a good enough experience with the FPS genre, let alone the Halo franchise. Even petty things like getting their own terminology wrong is just evidence towards this - “hill contested” inside territories and absurd flag return radii come to mind.)

Hopefully this playlist will remind me of what I loved about the previous titles.

/vent

The OP needs to be updated. Says April now.

> The OP needs to be updated. Says April now.

I know, I updated it right now. My main focus is that thread on Bungie.net and hosting games throughout the week. I’m just here to relay the information.

that is really good news, though i was hoping to try the classic playlists this month ^^
thank you for hinting to this post.

This makes me :slight_smile:

Excellent to see you on these forums, Overkill.

343, you’ve got a smart man here.

Bump

I can’t wait to try this playlist. Is there any updates on what maps might be chosen? I’m hoping for some damnation and some prisoner.

> Based on our latest playtesting, the current settings we’re considering are:
>
> Player Speed 120%
> Jump Height 125%
> Player Gravity 150%
> Damage Modifier 110%
> Melee Modifier 75%
> Damage Resistance 100%
> Shield Recharge Rate 110%
> Health Recharge Rate 110%
>
> As I said before these are subject to change, we have final playtesting to do next week.

The new settings make me a happy waffle.

Can’t wait for this playlist.

Lol Halo 3 on Reach.

I saw, at one point a post on b.net, that there was a really good remake of guardian. I was wondering if I could get a download link. I want to see how good it replicates the map. I have been working on one and I feel it is near perfect. I took the time to measure it even. Though there are, to be expected I’d think, very minor inconsistencies. It was pretty much a confirmed match when I got run speed and jump height times to match as well.

Anyway I think this a pretty cool thing, and honestly it would be cool to be part of it. If not then hey I can deal, but I’d still like a link to that guardian remake if possible.

5 days left!

Can’t wait!